Ashland @ Connecticut - 11/05/17 - Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Ashland @ Connecticut - 11/05/17 - Game Thread

Reaction Score
Score board:
Screenshot (14).png

Reaction Score
Great game with the starters in. Not so much with the subs. Eventually they'll get it. What concerns me is Molly looking as tentative starting this year as she was at the end of her freshman year. All four freshmen seem much more fearless.

AND collectively they were pretty ineffective--except MEG. Tonight was her coming out, and we saw the reason she was the best in the nation coming out of HS. What impressed me, in addition to her shooting, was her court speed; I wonder if anyone on the team is faster. The starters were terrific; I feel sorry for this year's opponents :D.

Reaction Score
Gabby, double double, 11 pts, 10 rebs.
Z, double double, 16 pts, 11 rebs.
Megan, 14 pts, 5 rebs, 2 ast.

Megan should be FOY ....

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
I thought Z showed a great burst up the floor and played a log time without any signs of fatigue. Nurse was lights out, KLS shot well, Danger was great loved the behind the back pass to KLS for the hoop, Pheesa played great.

The subs, OTOH were high school players. Bent plays too tentative, stops her forward motion if a defender gets within 10 feet of her, Irwin had two fouls where the opposing player made the basket and had an awful defensive game. The freshmen were, freshmen, and the defensive and offensive game left the floor when they came in.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
It seems the last member of Geno's Official Doghouse is still Lexi. Geno takes conditioning very seriously.
Do you think that was the deal in Italy? Just askin'.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Forgot to mention Gabby, who always brings her A game and Walker who did manage to put up some points.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
And it's starting to look like Walker is #7

Walker is very fast and confident and she really is tough defensively. I think she will grow into the offensive game quite well by end of year. I was surprised how late Mikayla came in. She looks so athletic but made some ill advided passes although I can see her as a defensive hawk. In general, the bench looked pretty ragged and unfortunately, I do not see much improvement in Molly and Kayla.

Z is really tough and active on both ends of the floor and will get her nose in to everything. She also has good rebounding instincts. In time, she may be as good as Stewie (blasphemy). Lets hope. I am looking forward to seeing her reach her peak.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I don’t usually put much stock in games vs comparable opponents it is worth noting that a week ago this same Ashland team put up 80 pts vs top ten tOSU in a 110-80 loss.

This could be a very long season for the rest of WBB.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Walker is very fast and confident and she really is tough defensively. I think she will grow into the offensive game quite well by end of year. I was surprised how late Mikayla came in. She looks so athletic but made some ill advided passes although I can see her as a defensive hawk. In general, the bench looked pretty ragged and unfortunately, I do not see much improvement in Molly and Kayla.

Z is really tough and active on both ends of the floor and will get her nose in to everything. She also has good rebounding instincts. In time, she may be as good as Stewie (blasphemy). Lets hope. I am looking forward to seeing her reach her peak.
Z, like Stewie, gets a lot of boards because of her long reach. I'm still looking for her 3-point game, but she looks really good otherwise.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Very good game for the starting 6. Much improved 3 point shooting. You can see that this team will run you out of the building if given the chance. Crystal Dangerfield with a very nice game at the point.

Walker and Espinoza-Hunter are going to see serious minutes this year. Walker right now is #7 off the bench and I agree the AEH is the backup to Kia and Crystal. Coombs also looked good. This is very good freshman class that will grow and develop. You can see they are starting to get it.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I believe if some of the freshmen played with some of the starters, we'd see a lot better play from them. They have no one to lead them when they are out there with each other. Put KLS, Collier, or Nurse out there with the four freshmen and the offense will not run smoothly. Earlier this year, many were saying AEH would be the freshman who would play the least. Folks just need to be patient and watch the players develop, imo. How many thought Chong would ever be the player she wound up being. Some said she would never contribute to Uconn at the level she did last season.

Reaction Score
I think UConn will go through the big games of the season with seven players: last year's five plus Azura, and depending on how she does, Walker. The other replacements scored just 12 points between them. And they were playing a Division II team.

More and more looking like a 7-person rotation. Implications for the bench.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Gabby, double double, 11 pts, 10 rebs.
Z, double double, 16 pts, 11 rebs.
Megan, 14 pts, 5 rebs, 2 ast.

Megan should be FOY ....

I'll say COULD be, but she'll be going against other freshmen, some who will be starting for their respective teams, and logging a lot of minutes. Megan will have to get enough minutes to get the voter's attention in order to be considered. She MUST be in Geno's rotation for this to happen. We'll see. I hope she is. I anticipate her being a starter beginning next year and until she graduates.

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom