Ashland @ Connecticut - 11/05/17 - Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Ashland @ Connecticut - 11/05/17 - Game Thread

Reaction Score
How many of you have been to Gampel to see games? You do realize that the feed they are showing you for free is the same feed they play during the games when you are there. Of course they don't show you the free throws as that is the down time in the game when they run ads. After good plays they show replays...this is how they do it when you are in an arena. If you don't like the free live feed, go to the game. If you go to the game, your giving more money to the athletic department. If you're helping bring in revenue, then maybe they will show a better feed, but if I'm not paying for it, and UConn isn't asking me to pay for it, then why would UConn spend extra money on an extra camera roll. C'mon people, be thankful for what you have, and stop complaining.

'...steps off pedestal'

Now on to the game. I think the top 7 looked great today and if I'm Geno, I'm feeling really good about AEH. She actually reminds me of Kia as a freshman. Steady, plays good defense, plays within herself, and is not flustered by the pace. It makes sense if you think about it. She has spent a lot of time around the team for the last fur years and I'm sure was a step ahead in terms of the pace, offense, and defensive schemes.

Other notes-
- Bent just rushes. If she would just slow down. But that is all mental
- Irwin is fine on the offensive end, but definitely struggles on defense. She is always a step late. I'm hoping Camara when she is back can fill this void in the lineup.
- Coombs is a bit over her head at the moment. She seems nervous. There are flashes on Brianna Banks or Tiff in there, but she's not there yet. Would be surprised, with the schedule the first few weeks, to see her play much.
- Lexi plays really confident, but she is a step slow at the moment. Some conditioning will help her. Seems Geno is really playing her at the 3/4.

Reaction Score
I think UConn will go through the big games of the season with seven players: last year's five plus Azura, and depending on how she does, Walker. The other replacements scored just 12 points between them. And they were playing a Division II team.

More and more looking like a 7-person rotation. Implications for the bench.
Touly is numer 8.

Reaction Score
I think UConn will go through the big games of the season with seven players: last year's five plus Azura, and depending on how she does, Walker. The other replacements scored just 12 points between them. And they were playing a Division II team.

More and more looking like a 7-person rotation. Implications for the bench.
I see more of an 8 person rotation. Batouly, once she is back, will play significant minutes as well.

Reaction Score
Looks like maybe we finally got the rebounding Samuelson ;) She had 6!

Also, Coombs is really fast! But needs to work on her passing.

Ok, that's my 2 cents! Everything else I think has been said already!

Reaction Score
Hoping Camara can come back in the 3 weeks. Would like to see a solid rotation of 8 with Azura, Megan, and the starters. The other 5 are just not gonna be playing much unless the games are already decided. Based on what I see from the frosh other than Megan we are gonna need to land our remaining 2018 targets. While they may get better I still am concerned with their overall games right now.

Reaction Score
Hoping Camara can come back in the 3 weeks. Would like to see a solid rotation of 8 with Azura, Megan, and the starters. The other 5 are just not gonna be playing much unless the games are already decided. Based on what I see from the frosh other than Megan we are gonna need to land our remaining 2018 targets. While they may get better I still am concerned with their overall games right now.
I expect that this freshman class will prove to be quite strong.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'll say COULD be, but she'll be going against other freshmen, some who will be starting for their respective teams, and logging a lot of minutes. Megan will have to get enough minutes to get the voter's attention in order to be considered. She MUST be in Geno's rotation for this to happen. We'll see. I hope she is. I anticipate her being a starter beginning next year and until she graduates.
I thought Meg would step in at SG for Kia next year. Geno seems to be playing her at both the 2 and 3. If he plays her at SG, she'll start.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I was there. They introduced all the players, who ran out from the runway individually. Some did a little dance move. Undoubtedly to make up for no First Night. Also Lou and Napheesa got basketballs for joining the 1000 point club, numbers 44 and 45 to do so, and Geno was presented his Coach of the Year trophy, I think they said it is his eighth. Wow.

The ceiling looks great. From reports I thought it might be too bright, but it is fine.

The first quarter could not have gone much better. 45 points but defense was also great, contesting almost every pass and shot, great anticipation and quickness on steals, swarming. Liked that the first offensive play was run for Lou inside, missed layup but got the tip in. Got her going early, love it. She had seven points in the first 73 seconds.

Kia is shooting it with such confidence, and great form. Seemed like some of them (not Kia) were rushing shots a bit against Fort Hays, but not today.

Megan is the real deal, strong and moves real well, and we saw her offense on display today. Z is as advertised as well, very skilled. Crystal is doing exactly what you would want a point guard to do, major improvement over last year.

Hope Camara is back soon though. AEH showed some promise but didn't see much from the four others. They will continue to develop, especially Coombs.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I was there. They introduced all the players, who ran out from the runway individually. Some did a little dance move. Undoubtedly to make up for no First Night. Also Lou and Napheesa got basketballs for joining the 1000 point club, numbers 44 and 45 to do so, and Geno was presented his Coach of the Year trophy, I think they said it is his eighth. Wow.

The ceiling looks great. From reports I thought it might be too bright, but it is fine.

The first quarter could not have gone much better. 45 points but defense was also great, contesting almost every pass and shot, great anticipation and quickness on steals, swarming. Liked that the first offensive play was run for Lou inside, missed layup but got the tip in. Got her going early, love it. She had seven points in the first 73 seconds.

Kia is shooting it with such confidence, and great form. Seemed like some of them (not Kia) were rushing shots a bit against Fort Hays, but not today.

Megan is the real deal, strong and moves real well, and we saw her offense on display today. Z is as advertised as well, very skilled. Crystal is doing exactly what you would want a point guard to do, major improvement over last year.

Hope Camara is back soon though. AEH showed some promise but didn't see much from the four others. They will continue to develop, especially Coombs.

Thanks for the report Huskee11. I hope you will continue to give us your "words eye view" of the game and what you saw for those of us that could not be there. You have no idea how much I would have loved to have a seat on the floor today.

Reaction Score
Very good game for the starting 6. Much improved 3 point shooting. You can see that this team will run you out of the building if given the chance. Crystal Dangerfield with a very nice game at the point.

Walker and Espinoza-Hunter are going to see serious minutes this year. Walker right now is #7 off the bench and I agree the AEH is the backup to Kia and Crystal. Coombs also looked good. This is very good freshman class that will grow and develop. You can see they are starting to get it.
7 becomes 8 in three weeks when Batcam gets in to the action

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
7 becomes 8 in three weeks when Batcam gets in to the action
Hopefully. She needs to get 100% healthy and then shake off the rust. Her performance at Kentucky doesn't match up with Z's performance at Duke, so I'm waiting to see. Being cautious for a change. ;)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Hopefully. She needs to get 100% healthy and then shake off the rust. Her performance at Kentucky doesn't match up with Z's performance at Duke, so I'm waiting to see. Being cautious for a change. ;)

It's a setback when you can't play or practice the first few weeks of the season, especially when you are a new, unestablished player. I worry about her getting into the rotation.

After watching the game, it really feels like a 7-player rotation until/unless Camara can make a comeback.

Walker looked really good. One thing that's pretty noticeable is that she tends to shoot the ball from well out in front of her and at a low angle, producing lots of line drives. I'd suggest this is the primary reason for her shooting issues from 15+. Like to see the staff help her change that arc. Otherwise, she is extremely effective cutting without the ball and hitting shots off curls. Her physicality is going to net her free throws and easy baskets down low. She's shown off her other skills (passing, rebounding, shot blocking) over these two games as well.

Last edited:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
The first half was quite a display by the Huskies. Crisp passing, accurate shooting, a flock of take-aways, aggressive rebounding, and general UConn basketball smartness. When they are “on,” it’s like watching ballet.

Reaction Score
It's a setback when you can't play or practice the first few weeks of the season, especially when you are a new, unestablished player. I worry about her getting into the rotation.

After watching the game, it really feels like a 7-player rotation until/unless Camara can make a comeback.

Walker looked really good. One thing that's pretty noticeable is that she tends to shoot the ball from well out in front of her and at a low angle, producing lots of line drives. I'd suggest this is the primary reason for her shooting issues from 15+. Like to see the staff help her change that arc. Otherwise, she is extremely effect cutting without the ball and hitting shots off curls. Her physicality is going to net her free throws and easy baskets down low. She's shown off her other skills (passing, rebounding, shot blocking) over these two games as well.

IS it possible she can play the pf for next year? Something like Gabby does?

As for Camara. At worst she'll get plenty of time in AAC.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
IS it possible she can play the pf for next year? Something like Gabby does?

I'm guessing that wouldn't be Geno's preference. I suppose she could play a forward position in a smaller lineup from time to time depending on matchups. I think they like her at small forward the best, but her physical style really makes her versatile.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Geno was asked about having a "full bench" in the postgame interview and he smiled and said it's like having a full toolbox in that he doesn't know how to use any of them. Said they need to be less tentative.

Reaction Score

Do we actually know if she is scheduled to be back in 3 weeks? Is that solid?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Do we actually know if she is scheduled to be back in 3 weeks? Is that solid?

No, that was a number given by the game crew today. I think Camara told them that but Geno said he didn't know after the game.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
The first half was quite a display by the Huskies. Crisp passing, accurate shooting, a flock of take-aways, aggressive rebounding, and general UConn basketball smartness. When they are “on,” it’s like watching ballet.

To me, it's like watching the stars travel through the Universe. A true force of nature, revealed in all of its' natural beauty.

Wow, did I just write that? I think it's past my bedtime. :D

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Z, like Stewie, gets a lot of boards because of her long reach. I'm still looking for her 3-point game, but she looks really good otherwise.
I thought Meg would step in at SG for Kia next year. Geno seems to be playing her at both the 2 and 3. If he plays her at SG, she'll start.
Won't Meg start next season irrespective of whether it's the 2 or the 3, Milford? A starting lineup of Crystal, Lou, Meg, Pheesa and Z would be potent. Would you rather see Meg at the 2 and Lou at the 3? I'm thinking it might work better the other way around but, from my perspective, both of them are 2.5s so it may not matter.

Reaction Score
Won't Meg start next season irrespective of whether it's the 2 or the 3, Milford? A starting lineup of Crystal, Lou, Meg, Pheesa and Z would be potent. Would you rather see Meg at the 2 and Lou at the 3? I'm thinking it might work better the other way around but, from my perspective, both of them are 2.5s so it may not matter.
Hadn’t thought about next year’s starting lineup yet - that one might be better than THIS year’s. In any case it’s so logical that it’s practically cast in stone already and, thankfully, there will be no need for any “starting lineup” debate on the BY next summer.

On edit: IF Z is still with us...

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Hadn’t thought about next year’s starting lineup yet - that one might be better than THIS year’s. In any case it’s so logical that it’s practically cast in stone already and, thankfully, there will be no need for any “starting lineup” debate on the BY next summer.

On edit: IF Z is still with us...

It's difficult for me to comprehend that UConn could lose talents such as Gabby and Kia and be better the following season but I admire your optimism.

As for Z, I'm one of the folks who questioned whether she was likely to return next season so I'm just whistling past the graveyard here.

Reaction Score
It's difficult for me to comprehend that UConn could lose talents such as Gabby and Kia and be better the following season but I admire your optimism.

As for Z, I'm one of the folks who questioned whether she was likely to return next season so I'm just whistling past the graveyard here.
I always take the “under” on that “Will she return?” bet, and I’m way ahead of the house. WNBA has to look pretty glamorous to a college player (get paid, don’t have to go to class, no homework) (if they only knew how good they’ve got it now - 5 star hotels, chartered flights...). Anyway, I’m hoping Z is the exception.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom