Article: An Optimist's Guide to the 2013-14 UConn Women | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Article: An Optimist's Guide to the 2013-14 UConn Women

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Re career 3-point shooting, Diana had 318 and Maya had 311. Kaleena has 211, which is 93 and 118 by season. She needs another good year, but 108 to get to 319 is within her reach. What's the NCAA record? How would 400 stack up? How about 450? :)
Laurie Koehn, Kansas State 2002-2005 - 392 made in 942 attempts.

For the men, JJ Redick had 457 made in 1126 attempts.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Laurie Koehn, Kansas State 2002-2005 - 392 made in 942 attempts.

For the men, JJ Redick had 457 made in 1126 attempts.
Thanks. I think Laurie is the player in the video we discussed a couple of months or so ago. She routinely makes 100+ in a row.

The mark of 392 is definitely possible. Redick's mark might be a stretch, but let's set the bar high for Kaleena. :)

Reaction Score
Offensive juggernaut. . . Who's the competition this year, now that Skylar and Britney are gone? ND and Baylor are still good. Good enough? Who else?

Isn't that the line of questioning and the kind of information one should assess before, rather than after, making one's prediction of 100ppg and 4 AAs?

I am just asking :)

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Isn't that the line of questioning and the kind of information one should assess before, rather than after, making one's prediction of 100ppg and 4 AAs?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

How do you know I didn't assess that kind of information before I posted? Because I didn't consult you?

Reaction Score
How do you know I didn't assess that kind of information before I posted? Because I didn't consult you?

Greetings DD

In this instance you have protested too much. The reply you are calling attention to was not in response to your OP, correctly styled as an exercise in optimism, writ large. Rather, my post was in direct reply to that of poster Samanthabrown, who asked questions of "what about the opposition" variety and the "are you sure everyone else is chopped liver" type.

Thus my reply to Samanthabrown.

So, please reconsider your query based on the above clarification. It is always a pleasure being in communication with you about the team and program we each love to root for.

Regards

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Greetings DD

In this instance you have protested too much. The reply you are calling attention to was not in response to your OP, correctly styled as an exercise in optimism, writ large. Rather, my post was in direct reply to that of poster Samanthabrown, who asked questions of "what about the opposition" variety and the "are you sure everyone else is chopped liver" type.

Thus my reply to Samanthabrown.

So, please reconsider your query based on the above clarification. It is always a pleasure being in communication with you about the team and program we each love to root for.

Regards
No offense, but bull.

Who else predicted 4 AA's and 100 ppg? Didn't see samanthabrown say that.

Reaction Score
No offense, but bull.

None taken, but you are using the wrong reply to press your point. But, I think you may actually want to engage on this, based on my prior posts elsewhere. I will provide you with a bailout and address the issues that may be at stake here. Cutting to the chase, DD, I think the points in contention, though not involved in the post you replied to, are:

I.
Criticism of Preseason Optimism

Yes, I am critical of that when it is as unbridled as it is at present. Two main reasons:
1. Preseason optimism puts fans in a position where there's no place to go but down; and, disappointed fans do not make for the most supportive of fan bases, IMHO.

2. To the extent players come into contact with the optimistic statements posted here at BY, there is a real chance the optimistic assertions can translate into pressure on them to meet the expectations that are the subtext of optimism. Examples: Bria must return to AA form; KML must vie for player of the year; no center in America can be seen as coming close to matching, let alone exceeding, Stef; Breanna must achieve 1st team AA as a soph; Brianna must achieve 100% recovery from acl by start of season, January at the latest; Kiah must stop immediately being "too cute" (this latter is my way of putting it, not yours); and similar for all other team members. That kind of optimism creates a lot of pressure on our team.

Those are hazards of optimism that are of concern to me. That is my story and I'm sticking with it.

II.
I Don't Say Whatever It Is I Say The Right Way

Response One. Deal with it
Response Two. [Wo]Man up.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Again Doggy, I love the post and most of what's in it…and the responses have been fun.

But: Last year, about the same time (July 3rd), in speaking about returning from injuries, you took a slightly more cautious view:
Practice is one thing, but as we have learned from Baugh at Tennessee and Doty at UConn, coming back from injuries in games at full speed is another. Explode? Might be wishful thinking. We will see.

And of course you were right!
I know that you labeled it an optimists view, but is not your earlier position more considered?

And in a July 10th discussion entitled "Watch out for UConn" that somewhat parallels your current offering.
It's interesting that Banks was almost completely absent from the discussion, only one poster even mentioned her.
Happy 4th
MSF

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
None taken, but you are using the wrong reply to press your point. But, I think you may actually want to engage on this, based on my prior posts elsewhere. I will provide you with a bailout and address the issues that may be at stake here. Cutting to the chase, DD, I think the points in contention, though not involved in the post you replied to, are:

I.
Criticism of Preseason Optimism

Yes, I am critical of that when it is as unbridled as it is at present. Two main reasons:
1. Preseason optimism puts fans in a position where there's no place to go but down; and, disappointed fans do not make for the most supportive of fan bases, IMHO.

2. To the extent players come into contact with the optimistic statements posted here at BY, there is a real chance the optimistic assertions can translate into pressure on them to meet the expectations that are the subtext of optimism. Examples: Bria must return to AA form; KML must vie for player of the year; no center in America can be seen as coming close to matching, let alone exceeding, Stef; Breanna must achieve 1st team AA as a soph; Brianna must achieve 100% recovery from acl by start of season, January at the latest; Kiah must stop immediately being "too cute" (this latter is my way of putting it, not yours); and similar for all other team members. That kind of optimism creates a lot of pressure on our team.

Those are hazards of optimism that are of concern to me. That is my story and I'm sticking with it.

II.
I Don't Say Whatever It Is I Say The Right Way

Response One. Deal with it
Response Two. [Wo]Man up.

Wonderful. A stated optimistic article gets criticism for being optimistic.

You have stated your opinion on your issue with unbridled optimism before. This wasn't the thread for it.

That being said:

1. As one of the posters that think my optimistic post is close to reality, I am insulted that you think that after a disappointing loss, I would be less supportive of the team. In fact, it's the opposite. Negative fans are the ones that tend to be less supportive.

2. If I was a player and read that a fan board was showing unbridled optimism, it would make me happy and confident. Maybe you would feel pressure from this. These players? Really really doubtful. I think that the players put way more pressure on themselves than any pressure coming from a posters optimism.

Well, heading to Vermont. No Internet, phone or TV.

Enjoy the holiday.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I know that you labeled it an optimists view, but is not your earlier position more considered?

No. What don't you get about an optimistic view of next year? No injuries and full recovery is the standard.

Reaction Score
No. What don't you get about an optimistic view of next year? No injuries and full recovery is the standard.
Doggydaddy reference him to Dianna's article on 6/29, where she talks about Brittany, at the end she references following UConn and their 8th championship. Quotes " its not supposed to be easy," Taurasi said. " They had a hard time with Notre Dame, but they found a way. That's what championship teams do. Breanna [Stewart] found herself in the Final Four. That's what she needed. Now you're going to see a different person the next 3 years." She added other notes about her 1-15 and said some people do well the first time on that stage, some don't. If Diana feels that way about Breanna, then i'll take her word, she knows more about WCBB, then we do. No-one on this team is an in-your-face type of player, but KML, Breanna, Stef are silent killer's.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
No offense, but bull.

Great analysis Doggy

I will agree with you and say a possible 5 AAs and a NC. If we get Wilson we will start a run that may break our record wins in a row and NCs in a row. This seasons team is the greatest assembleage of players in WCBB history. IMO there isn't a team in the country that can hang with UConn this season barring injuries. The question should be how do you keep UConn from scoring 100pts? Geno will call off the pressure and go to a zone and even that may not be able to stop UConn from scoring 100 pts.

The icing on the cake would be to play Tenn in Nashville and blow them out for our record NC but unfortunately Tenn isn't good enough, so we will have to settle for winning number 9 in Nashville infront of the Tenn fans. That makes my day.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great analysis Doggy

I will agree with you and say a possible 5 AAs and a NC. If we get Wilson we will start a run that may break our record wins in a row and NCs in a row. This seasons team is the greatest assembleage of players in WCBB history. IMO there isn't a team in the country that can hang with UConn this season barring injuries. The question should be how do you keep UConn from scoring 100pts? Geno will call off the pressure and go to a zone and even that may not be able to stop UConn from scoring 100 pts.

The icing on the cake would be to play Tenn in Nashville and blow them out for our record NC but unfortunately Tenn isn't good enough, so we will have to settle for winning number 9 in Nashville infront of the Tenn fans. That makes my day.
Actually, Tony, IMHO the icing on the cake (for me) would be to see Tennessee lose in the elite 8 or sweet 16 and hear the collective wails and gnashing of teeth as they realize they won't be able to see their team in their home state for the final 4. At this moment have UCONN, Duke, Maryland and ND in my final 4 with Stanford and Tennessee on the outside looking in. Of course, not a lick of hoops has been played yet and that will undoubtedly change...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Honestly, I don't think doggy is all that optimistic. Most of what he says sounds fairly conservative given the potential for this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom