Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Nicely done and doggy got the starting line up right. :D

HGN

Reaction Score
Good stab Doggy............... As I was reading the piece , it dawned upon me that we have 9 returning scholarship players going for UConn's 9th National Championship..... Sort of a 9-for-9. Could this be some sort of omen?

If it is , I hope its a good one.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
That put a smile on my face this morning! You rock, DD!

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Great exercise in optimism DD...very close to the preseason predictions I put out a couple of weeks ago (my results were a little less optimistic...100 points per game but, the conclusion was the same; offensive juggernaut with the potential to break previous offensive records, many AAs and another national championship)...great minds do think alike...lol. I really feel that this season is going to be special for the players, coaches and the fans...

Reaction Score
Offensive juggernaut. . . Who's the competition this year, now that Skylar and Britney are gone? ND and Baylor are still good. Good enough? Who else?

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
There will be plenty of good teams...it is just that UConn will be that much better. Every year...the field of WCBB teams gets better and better, the overall quality of players keeps improving. Sure there is always a player or two who transcends the game...Last year it was Griner, EDD and Diggins. They weren't the only ones...there was a 6'4" freshmen kid with a wing span that looked like a B-52 bomber on the court, there was a quiet kid who shot the lights out at the tune of about 50 percent from three, there was a 6'5" center who played through injuries and whose leadership and courage were an inspiration to those who watched her. There were others...point is it isn't about the competition not being there...it is about how good UConn is. To put it into the other perspective only opens the door for UConn detractors to start with it was a down year in WCBB. I say baloney to that....yeah we had some very good players graduate...but, we have a lot of good player still here. A great assortment happen to comprise the UConn basketball team...but, it is not a down year. Compare the overall level of play to that of ten years ago, compare the individual skill set of the players to those of ten years ago. Tell Odyssey Sims, Diamond DeShields, Elizabeth Williams, Kayla McBride and Chiney O that WCBB is in a down year... Nope! Women's College Basketball is just fine...However, UConn basketball is poised to see one of its best seasons.

Reaction Score
In perspective if I had a WNBA franchise, and in 3 years you told me my starting frontcourt would be Stef, KML, and Breanna, with a decent backcourt, in 2 years we win the championship.

Reaction Score
After reading that, I'm so stoked for this season to start. DD did a great job with his analysis of the upcoming season as per player. Now only if he can pop his head in this thread to accept his award....:)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
After reading that, I'm so stoked for this season to start. DD did a great job with his analysis of the upcoming season as per player. Now only if he can pop his head in this thread to accept his award....:)
There is an award? I would have been here sooner if I had known that!!!

Reaction Score
Offensive juggernaut. . . Who's the competition this year, now that Skylar and Britney are gone? ND and Baylor are still good. Good enough? Who else?

Duke if Chelsea Gray is healthy. Maryland if all their injured players are healthy. Notre Dame is still very talented. NC if the frosh play well and Hatchell doesn't screw them up. Louisville if they are healthy. Stanford with Chiney will be good but maybe not championship good. I don't think Kentucky can replace Mathis. Penn St. lost too much. Maggie Lucas can't do it by herself. Syracuse could be a surprise if they can find a center.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Loved reading that. Optimistic but not impossible.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Duke if Chelsea Gray is healthy. Maryland if all their injured players are healthy. Notre Dame is still very talented. NC if the frosh play well and Hatchell doesn't screw them up. Louisville if they are healthy. Stanford with Chiney will be good but maybe not championship good. I don't think Kentucky can replace Mathis. Penn St. lost too much. Maggie Lucas can't do it by herself. Syracuse could be a surprise if they can find a center.
Duke had Gray healthy when they played last year. How did that work out for them against Uconn?

Maryland? They lose their second best player who scored 18 ppg and 9.7 rpg. Huge loss, no matter who they get back.

ND is talented with their big three. But losing 1st team AA Diggins will be a big impact.

None of the other teams come close.

This is the optimistic thread, don't forget.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
That was a fun read.
When can I get my season tickets?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
KLM had a wonderfiul year, according to dd. But as good as Aeroflot, doggy?
I'm not sure on the exact translation of Aeroflot, but any airline name that resembles "flotsam" in any way is in dire need of a makeover.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Hard to disagree with Doggy's splendid analysis.

The only possible caveat:
The point could be made that Geno seriously mishandled this bunch for much of the regular season.

Is it likely that it happens again? No!
No Olympic distraction nor hangover, a successful outcome, a year of maturity from the kids; KML (need one say more)? More USA experience en masse, Banks' return, a wonderful new guard, Stef healthy and fit….Should be a no-brainer.

Still if one if looking for the glass half-empty….

Actually, I don't believe for a second that there will be a smidge of difficulty, just searching for any counter-argument.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Nice work! Thanks.

A few random thoughts. You have Stewie as the leading scorer. I'm undecided between her and KML, but I think Breanna's first instinct is to shoot, so she's probably a good choice. I don't think she'll shoot 87.5% on threes for the season, but I agree with about 40%. I'd put Kaleena's distance shooting at 48%, but my optimistic side agrees with 52%. Diana's career 3-point total record will fall this year to the great Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis.

I think Stewie may be the best and most versatile player in the nation. Kaleena will be the best shooter. Moriah will be the most exciting.

Saniya's release is low, but quick. But she has great range. If necessary, she can get her shot off from another step back. It worked very nicely for Marie Conlon.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Re career 3-point shooting, Diana had 318 and Maya had 311. Kaleena has 211, which is 93 and 118 by season. She needs another good year, but 108 to get to 319 is within her reach. What's the NCAA record? How would 400 stack up? How about 450? :)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
The point could be made that Geno seriously mishandled this bunch for much of the regular season.

Seriously mishandled for much of the regular season?

Too funny.

The point could be made, but in reality would only be made by you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom