Arkansas Scouting Report | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Arkansas Scouting Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm very worried about this matchup, but everyone else doesn't seem to be?

Davis is one of the best perimeter defenders in the country and could see him giving Hawkins fits. Their athleticism isn't something we've seen since the Bama game. Also, Musselman is probably a better X's and O's coach than Hurley.

No result would surprise me but I hope we don't let our guard down even a little bit now that we're 'finally past the first weekend.' See y'all in Vegas!

Reaction Score
Makhel Mitchell is not injured. He actually came in t the end of the KU game to box out on the last FT. Musselman changes starting 5 according to matchups. Expect the Mitchell twins to start at the 4 and 5 spots. 6’9 and 6’10. While Makhi is an exceptional perimeter defender and able to guard SF-mobile PF’s, Makhel averages 3+ blocks a game when the matchup is right(ie when he plays more than 15+ mins). Bet Arkansas will throw both Mitchell’s, Johnson, and 4-5 minutes of Jalen Graham at Sanogo and Clingan. Graham actually graded out as one of the best 1 on 1 post defenders in the country at ASU last year, but he’s struggled mightily in PnR defense so has limited minutes sometimes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Does Arkansas remind anyone of 1988-89 Illinois (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988–89_Illinois_Fighting_Illini_men's_basketball_team)? Lots of strong, athletic 6'4" - 6'7" players, big guards, limited height at center, but strength and athleticism combined with skill can carry a team a long way.
It's a stretch. Simply because there are 4 guys on that team that are better than anybody on Arkansas (pending Smith eventually figuring things out). That Illinois team was loaded with shooters and scorers. They scored 100 points 9 times. This is a defensive minded team with minimal offensive firepower.

Aside from the obvious advantages inside, I think it is critical to get back on defense. We crash the boards really hard on the offensive end, but that may not be wise against a team that is offensively challenged in the half court, but good in transition. Need Hawkins to show up and break out, because I don't care how tight you guard him, he can still get shots off (and draw fouls). If they overplay Alex's outside shot he will need to cut and attack the rim more.

Reaction Score
@Hey Adrien! Before you head out to Ariz. A few quick questions as I have not seen Arkansas play this year.. Who would you consider their primary ball-handler/PG? Or is it by committee? How do they respond to ball pressure??Also.. Looks like the "Andre Jackson" defense strategy(used against us) of playing their guards soft at three point line and packing the paint to prevent penetration/cut off lanes/clog the middle would make sense.. Otherwise.. they look like they will attempt to challenge our Bigs at the rim. Any thoughts??

BTW.. Excellent job once again on the scout
Black and Council bring the ball up the court, and Devo Davis usually receives the ball in middle pick n roll. Arkansas will give Jackson the three point line, and as they’ve done with other ”bigs” this year Makhel Mitchell will guard Sanogo 1 on 1. Musselman will allow Sanogo to get his and look to to keep Hawkins under 8 points, and he will try to make the other players in addition to Sanogo beat us. Calcaterra and Karaban will be chased off the 3 point line.

Reaction Score
Not going to lie, since they are pretty poor at shooting the 3, I'd love to bring back the 2-3 zone we saw vs Marquette at MSG for a little bit. With all their athletes and with Joey C/Hawk essentially liabilities with their perimeter D, it will be our best chance to neutralize those big athletic guards. Deeply worried about foul troubles (PTSD still from the at Providence game) and FT discrepancy that has plagued us in some losses, so switching to zone might help with that.

Reaction Score
Not going to lie, since they are pretty poor at shooting the 3, I'd love to bring back the 2-3 zone we saw vs Marquette at MSG for a little bit. With all their athletes and with Joey C/Hawk essentially liabilities with their perimeter D, it will be our best chance to neutralize those big athletic guards. Deeply worried about foul troubles (PTSD still from the at Providence game) and FT discrepancy that has plagued us in some losses, so switching to zone might help with that.
Throwing some 2-3 zone looks at them feels like an obvious move here. For anyone who has seen a bit more of their games, I'm curious if this has been a strategy consistently employed by opponents throughout the season.

Reaction Score
Throwing some 2-3 zone looks at them feels like an obvious move here. For anyone who has seen a bit more of their games, I'm curious if this has been a strategy consistently employed by opponents throughout the season.
Yes, it has. And we’ve * the bed when we’re hit with a zone. Unless Nick Smith Jr plays well a solid zone would probably be devastating for us. When he hits his shots he’s the ultimate mid range zone buster.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I turned off the KU Ark game with about 10 minutes left in the game. KU kept a comfortable 10-12 point lead and Ark didn't look like they would be able to come back. They can't shoot! What happened at the end of that game?

Reaction Score
I turned off the KU Ark game with about 10 minutes left in the game. KU kept a comfortable 10-12 point lead and Ark didn't look like they would be able to come back. They can't shoot! What happened at the end of that game?
Devo Davis took over for Arkansas and Kansas had a few mental lapses.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
You Sir are a UConn treasure. Now I have something to mull over after waking up at 4 to pee and before getting up for golf!

Reaction Score
I agree with the concern about foul trouble/ definitely try a zone and keep them from driving inside

Reaction Score
You Sir are a UConn treasure. Now I have something to mull over after waking up at 4 to pee and before getting up for golf!
Channel 9 Kc GIF by Married At First Sight Australia

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Makhel Mitchell is not injured. He actually came in t the end of the KU game to box out on the last FT. Musselman changes starting 5 according to matchups. Expect the Mitchell twins to start at the 4 and 5 spots. 6’9 and 6’10. While Makhi is an exceptional perimeter defender and able to guard SF-mobile PF’s, Makhel averages 3+ blocks a game when the matchup is right(ie when he plays more than 15+ mins). Bet Arkansas will throw both Mitchell’s, Johnson, and 4-5 minutes of Jalen Graham at Sanogo and Clingan. Graham actually graded out as one of the best 1 on 1 post defenders in the country at ASU last year, but he’s struggled mightily in PnR defense so has limited minutes sometimes.
Welcome

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Need the coaching staff to draw up some schemes to free up Hawkins and open the interior for AS
Please

Reaction Score
Welcome
Thanks. Is it mainly Hawkins that Arkansas needs to contain? If he is contained are the other guards capable of picking up slack in addition to Sanogo getting his? I assume this is the strategy Muss will use. How has UConn played against tall, athletic teams this year?

Reaction Score
Thanks. Is it mainly Hawkins that Arkansas needs to contain? If he is contained are the other guards capable of picking up slack in addition to Sanogo getting his? I assume this is the strategy Muss will use. How has UConn played against tall, athletic teams this year?

Newton is another guard who could go off for 20. He has two triple-doubles this year. Scored 15+ 7x this season. Has 4 20pt games.

Karaban (PF) hasn't scored much in the tournament, but has scored double-digits 19x this year. Scored 15+ 6x.

Alleyne, Calcaterra score 5-10 on a good night.

Jackson has scored double-digits 9x... He's streaky.

Reaction Score
I am not sure what your opinion is about Alabama, but UConn was able to get a 15 point win against Alabama earlier this season at the PK tournament.

Reaction Score
Black and Council bring the ball up the court, and Devo Davis usually receives the ball in middle pick n roll. Arkansas will give Jackson the three point line, and as they’ve done with other ”bigs” this year Makhel Mitchell will guard Sanogo 1 on 1. Musselman will allow Sanogo to get his and look to to keep Hawkins under 8 points, and he will try to make the other players in addition to Sanogo beat us. Calcaterra and Karaban will be chased off the 3 point line.
Appreciate your honesty and input.. I had you guys beating Kansas.. Respect your guys.. Will be a rock fight on Thurs.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
We’ve only lost twice since we regained our defensive intensity following the skid:

those losses were Marquette and Creighton. Both have big, physical defenders on the perimeter. The key tends to be preventing the ball from getting into Sanogo on the block which is easier said than done.

Reaction Score
Rewatched their last game against Kansas and came away with a few thoughts:

1. Super athletic and long, very high energy on defense. Not the most technically sound team defensively but energy level can definitely be a problem.
2. The offense is ugly. No way around it. All ISO and a lot of bad/wild shots but create a lot of contact and fouls.
3. If Sanogo and Clingan can stay out of foul trouble, they’re going to be a problem for Arkansas. If Kansas had a Clingan in the middle, I think that game gets out of hand. On offense, Sanogo in the middle should help spread their defense and they’ll have to choose whether to double (and open up outside shots for others) or go one on one, where they don’t seem to have an answer for his footwork and technical game.
4. Key to me is managing fouls on both ends. If UConn gets sloppy on D, Arkansas can put them in foul trouble quickly. On the other hand, Arkansas swipes, reaches, and fouls A LOT. If they played in the BE, I’m not sure if they’d be able to finish with 5 guys most nights. But that means the guards need to exploit that and take it to the hoop (I’m looking at you Newton).

I think UConn is a probably a tougher matchup for Arkansas than Kansas, whose lack of a traditional post presence was a glaring issue on both ends of the court and played into Arkansas’ strengths. Could definitely see Arkansas winning and they’ll be a tough out but it’ll require Arkansas really taking control of the style of play and putting UConn in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Rewatched their last game against Kansas and came away with a few thoughts:

1. Super athletic and long, very high energy on defense. Not the most technically sound team defensively but energy level can definitely be a problem.
2. The offense is ugly. No way around it. All ISO and a lot of bad/wild shots but create a lot of contact and fouls.
3. If Sanogo and Clingan can stay out of foul trouble, they’re going to be a problem for Arkansas. If Kansas had a Clingan in the middle, I think that game gets out of hand. On offense, Sanogo in the middle should help spread their defense and they’ll have to choose whether to double (and open up outside shots for others) or go one on one, where they don’t seem to have an answer for his footwork and technical game.
4. Key to me is managing fouls on both ends. If UConn gets sloppy on D, Arkansas can put them in foul trouble quickly. On the other hand, Arkansas swipes, reaches, and fouls A LOT. If they played in the BE, I’m not sure if they’d be able to finish with 5 guys most nights. But that means the guards need to exploit that and take it to the hoop (I’m looking at you Newton).

I think UConn is a probably a tougher matchup for Arkansas than Kansas, whose lack of a traditional post presence was a glaring issue on both ends of the court and played into Arkansas’ strengths. Could definitely see Arkansas winning and they’ll be a tough out but it’ll require Arkansas really taking control of the style of play and putting UConn in foul trouble.
This is a game where game plan and adjustments will play a major role in outcome. Athletic teams are the worst because they don’t breakdown into neat boxes, and one or two hot handed guys can wreak havoc. We have to have laser execution and total focus. If we come out strong, we will be fine. If we put ourselves in a hole early..well, let’s not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom