Arizona HC Adia Barnes on profane post-game pep talk: 'I’m not apologizing for it' | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Arizona HC Adia Barnes on profane post-game pep talk: 'I’m not apologizing for it'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What Geno has said? I don't see in this thread can you post?.

Why you continue to say Geno a bad teacher over and over? You really hate Geno?
Geno curses at his players on the court all the time. It is well documented.

so if you’re going to continue to make this argument that cursing is the sign of a bad teacher or low moral character then you need to include Geno in your condemnation.

Reaction Score

so if you’re going to continue to make this argument that cursing is the sign of a bad teacher or low moral character then you need to include Geno in your condemnation.
Should apply to all. I would distinguish between profanity used in frustration (albeit still unbecoming) from foul mouth, profane gesturing in victory. Just zero class no matter how you slice it.

Reaction Score

So funny, It is you call the bad-teacher over and over. I have never said Geno is a bad-tsacher. You have memory problem? Time to take your medicines.

Reaction Score
Well docunentned, then show us the documents. Very hard to post the document? Again why you hate Geno so much?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Should apply to all. I would distinguish between profanity used in frustration (albeit still unbecoming) from foul mouth, profane gesturing in victory. Just zero class no matter how you slice it.
I will point out that Sue Bird's comment, in particular, was that it was so unlike Adia. She is not particularly known for her cursing. Bird even made fun of how she did the finger thing.

If she had given the finger to the public, to the opponent, at anyone, or for intentionally for anyone to see - I would support suspension and fining. Such behavior is classless, inappropriate and a poor representation of the school I donate to.

But that isn't what we have here.

She was saying "expletive" to the naysayers, and I have no problem with the profanity per se (just because I don't use it, I used to) and sincerely believe it was intended for the team only. It should have been saved for the locker room, no question, but maybe she will learn the lesson that others have learned - everything you do is seen, today.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
Honestly, the reaction by many people about Barnes’ actions is down right disappointing. Those who oppose fall into one of two camps:

1) Barnes is a woman. Male athletes swear all the time and no one bats an eye. But when females do it, all hell breaks loose and she becomes classless. Give me a break. If you are condemning Barnes, then get ready to also call Kobe Bryant, Brady Quinn, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and many others as classless. The fact is, Barnes is a woman and this is why it’s getting so much attention.

2) Barnes isn’t affiliated with UConn. If you have a problem with swearing, then where were you during the Taurasi days? She dropped f-bombs like no other on and off the court.

Either way, Barnes as nothing to apologize for. She wasn’t being disrespectful to UConn, but to all those who doubted her team (ESPN and the NCAA def deserve it). Remember folks - you can swear AND still be a role model. SMH.

Reaction Score
Arizona head coach Adia Barnes wants the NCAA world to know everyone disrespected her team. Following Arizona's stunning upset over UConn on Friday, Barnes was captured on video giving an animated pep talk to her players.

While talking to her players, Barnes appears to drop an f-bomb and stick up the middle finger. It was her way of telling her team to ignore the haters ... but Barnes used a stronger term.

This is a very sad attitude by Adia Barnes. You just don't do that.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
LOL, instead of swearing at Whomever, she should thank them for giving her and her team some extra incentive to perform at a higher level and win a meaningful game...

I on the other hand see it as a bit premature because there is no trophy or banner for winning an NCAA semifinal game, even if it's against a successful and storied program like UConn, ask Mississipi State :) because it is safe to guess that no one will remember this game/triumph 3 years from now.
But perhaps she did it then because she does not truly believe she and her team can beat their next opponent

And It's not like the rest of the world wants to see UConn win, only us fans over here want that, So if she really wanted to piss the NCAA off, perhaps she should have allowed the team that is so bad for women's basketball to advance and win another one. ? ???

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did the BY really have 62 posts on this nonsense (well 63 now). Did it show a lot of class? No. Have all of these college age adults heard the word and seen the finger before? Yes. Have we all? Yes. I'll go out on a limb here, are there any BY'ers similarly guilty? Dare I say Yes?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I guess you guys never saw UConn’s Shabazz Napier after the men won the championship in 2014. The men felt disrespected by the NCAA after they’d been banned from the post season in 2013 because a previous UConn team, before any on the 2014 team were there, hadn’t earned a certain cumulative GPA. Shabazz let the world know what it could do with the disrespect after they won, on TV. Adia didn’t know the cameras were on her, Shabazz did. And it was more than popping his jersey.

9D2F89FB-5262-433F-A717-2690A1DAB766.jpeg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Time for a little history lesson. The display of the middle finger goes back a very long time. The ancient Roman historian Tacitus wrote that Germanic tribes extended their middle fingers as a gesture of defiance towards advancing Roman legions. Even earlier, the ancient Greeks displayed the middle finger to symbolize male genitalia.

In this country, the use of the middle finger is believed to have first originated with Italian immigrants. What a surprise? The first documented use in America occurred in 1886 when Charles “Old Hoss” Radbourn with the Boston Beaneaters baseball team flipped off a photographer during a team photo. I wonder what Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh would have to say about that.

Reaction Score
Well, Gee Willikers, fellow Boneyarders, I can certainly see why so many of you are shocked by this coach's behavior. So am I! One just has to wonder how some folks are brought up! Truth to tell, I was just yearning for a tall glass of milk and I was thinking of bringing my laptop into the kitchen with me so I could share this despicable video with Mom, but I thought the better of it. She's in there with our boys, Rick and Dave, and they're doing what they do every Sunday morning before we all head off to church...baking cookies 'n apple pie. Well, the fellas are still just teenagers so I wouldn't share this with them anyway and I surely don't want to upset Mom. I still remember the day, I dont know, this was maybe four years ago, on yet another Sunday morning, and I went in there to pull a six pound chuck roast out of the freezer and the darned thing slipped out of my hands and fell right on my big left toe. I'm deeply embarrassed to admit this, but, in the moment, I screamed out, "Dammit!." Mom turned as white as one of our bedsheets then and I was ashamed of myself for weeks afterward. We just don't need, and certainly shouldn't condone, this kind of behavior, especially from someone who's supposed to be setting an example for our youth!!

Reaction Score
Time for a little history lesson. The display of the middle finger goes back a very long time. The ancient Roman historian Tacitus wrote that Germanic tribes extended their middle fingers as a gesture of defiance towards advancing Roman legions. Even earlier, the ancient Greeks displayed the middle finger to symbolize male genitalia.

In this country, the use of the middle finger is believed to have first originated with Italian immigrants. What a surprise? The first documented use in America occurred in 1886 when Charles “Old Hoss” Radbourn with the Boston Beaneaters baseball team flipped off a photographer during a team photo. I wonder what Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh would have to say about that.
Nice stories. But the raising the middle finger at one's opponents showed that the archers of yore still had their shooting finger intact. A captured archer had his middle finger cut off to deter future aggression. Perhaps Tara will get to amputate Ms. Barnes' middle finger for the 3rd time this year . . .

Reaction Score
Oldude-I think you’d do really well on Jeopardy! Have you considered it? Thanks for the history lesson!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Ancient Greece? Man, you really are an old dude ?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ancient Greece? Man, you really are an old dude ?
But still relevant. For example, last night on the way home from out of state Mrs. 82 and I stopped at a Mexican place that we’ve liked in the past. Although still fine, it wasn’t quite as good as our memories of it. After some reflection it occurred to me that my burrito had that vague aftertaste of fryer oil that may not of been changed in a while. I shook my head and realized that was probably the problem - ancient grease.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Some of you guys are being jerks towards Coach Barnes just because her and her team beat the Huskies.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I guess you guys never saw UConn’s Shabazz Napier after the guys won the championship in 2014. The men felt disrespected by the NCAA after they’d been banned from the post season in 2013 because a previous UConn team, before any on the 2014 team were there, hadn’t earned a certain cumulative GPA. Shabazz let the world know what it could do with the disrespect after they won, on TV. Adia didn’t know the cameras were on her, Shabazz did. And it was more than popping his jersey.

View attachment 66601
Swerve. @HuskyNan , who is your latest avatar? It appears to me to be Jodie Comer, but not really sure. Thanks.
Now, back to the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog