• Yes

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • No

Votes: 44 63.8%

• Total voters

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The larger point is that Arike had a coach in college who enabled and excused her in this type of despicable low-class behavior while Taurasi had a coach who harshly disciplined her for merely clapping in an opponent’s face.

To even suggest that Arike has earned the right to be considered on the same plane as one of the greatest players ever is countersensical.

No that's the point you want to insert into a completely different discussion.

And I didn't make the comparison between the two players in the first place.

Reaction Score
No that's the point you want to insert into a completely different discussion.

And I didn't make the comparison between the two players in the first place.

You didn't make the initial comparison, but you sure as heck ran with it.

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
AO scores 21 with 5 dimes as Wings win 3rd straight (tied for second longest current winning streak).

AO was again high volume, low efficiency in contrast to Pheesa's low volume high efficiency effort in the Lynx loss to the Mystics last night.

Reaction Score
Arike will probably win ROY because she’s had a couple of really efficient games sandwiched between her volume games. Napheesa suffers from being a hard working, less flashy style of play when it comes to individual awards. Her name is well known, but she doesn’t play the same kind of basketball as Arike. Collier simply plays to help her team while Arike seems to play to win it all herself at times (hence the volume shooting).

Reaction Score
AO has another strong game and continues her superlative -July-. Correction August in the Wings loss to the Lynx.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
AO has another strong game and continues her superlative July in the Wings loss to the Lynx.

My opinion here, Wings played the Lynx, considering the ROY top 2 candidates went head to head it would have been nice to give a shout out to Collier for her play in this 86 to 70 Lynx win.

Arike had 22 pts on 6-14 FG (43%) in 37 minutes of play, 1-4 3PT (25%), 9-10 FT (90%), 1 RB, 3 AST, 2 STL, 4 TO, +/- -19.

Collier on the other hand 19 pts on 6-11 FG (54.5%) in 35 minutes, 0-1 3PT (0%), 7-7 FT (100%), 5 REB, 1 AST, 4 STL, 1 BLK, 0 TO, , +/- +13.

When comparing both ROY stats for this game, I tell you if Arike had another strong game...I got go with Collier had a better game.

Reaction Score
My opinion here, Wings played the Lynx, considering the ROY top 2 candidates went head to head it would have been nice to give a shout out to Collier for her play in this 86 to 70 Lynx win.

Arike had 22 pts on 6-14 FG (43%) in 37 minutes of play, 1-4 3PT (25%), 9-10 FT (90%), 1 RB, 3 AST, 2 STL, 4 TO, +/- -19.

Collier on the other hand 19 pts on 6-11 FG (54.5%) in 35 minutes, 0-1 3PT (0%), 7-7 FT (100%), 5 REB, 1 AST, 4 STL, 1 BLK, 0 TO, , +/- +13.

When comparing both ROY stats for this game, I tell you if Arike had another strong game...I got go with Collier had a better game.

Since they play different positions it’s a little hard to compare them at times.

Reaction Score
Since they play different positions it’s a little hard to compare them at times.
This is the real essence of the challenge of postseason player awards whether it's an MVP or rookie of the year or defensive player of the year.

In the case of rookie of the year I guess it's important that we all realize that's a subjective judgment as to who is the best. And statistics are not always the complete evidence for which player is the best. I'm thinking about the discussion of Pheesa's outstanding defense. Often that defense even with advanced metrics is difficult to quantify. Also the relative strengths of the teams the rookies are assigned to can also be a challenge to incorporate into the analysis. At this point of the top three rookies I still would guess the distance between the top two is very narrow.

Reaction Score

Dallas media sees AO leading ROY

Winning the rookie of the month award for August could have a big impact on the rookie of the year race between Wings guard Arike Ogunbowale and Minnesota forward Napheesa Collier. Each has won one rookie of the month award thus far. Including the Wings' Sunday matinee against the Dream, they have three games left in the month. Ogunbowale is averaging 22.5 points on 45% shooting for the month. But with Collier on her heels, Ogunbowale needs to finish the month strong to secure the rookie of the month award and have a good shot at rookie of the year.

At this point it's clear that neither rookie will be a unanimous selection as ROY.

Reaction Score
AO scores 7 straight Midway through the fourth quarter to pull the hapless Wing to within 4 of the league worst Dream.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
AO scores 7 straight Midway through the fourth quarter to pull the hapless Wing to within 4 of the league worst Dream.

She is having a very strong game taking over the 4th quarter after entering down 14 pts. Props.

Reaction Score
She is having a very strong game taking over the 4th quarter after entering down 14 pts. Props.
AO has another excellent game but her performance can't overcome critical late technical foul and final second turnover by Anigwe.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
AO has another excellent game but her performance can't overcome critical late technical foul and final second turnover by Anigwe.

And AO had some errors in the last 2 minutes as well. Missing a few shots, a key FT (after getting a gift foul off a clean block by E. Williams) but she is a lot better than early in the season.

Reaction Score
In another thread a BYer speculated that I'm an AO fan. Actually I tend to be fan of teams rather than individual players and my favorite teams are the ASU Sun Devils the UConn Huskies and Phoenix Mercury. If I had to pick players that I'm a fan of it would include DT, Stewie, Gabby, Kia, Robbie Ryan, and Jamie Ruden. Like most of us on the boneyard I found AOs cheap shot on Crystal very upsetting and a reflection on both her character and the coaching that she receives. With all that said I feel good about observing that she is one of the top three rookies this year in a rookie class that seems to my memory unparalleled in recent WNBA history. So recognizing her achievements in the context of a discussion of rookie of the year I don't think makes me a fan of hers. There have been any number of sports figures who I have admired for their performance but not for their character or the depth of their commitment to their team.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In another thread a BYer speculated that I'm an AO fan. Actually I tend to be fan of teams rather than individual players and my favorite teams are the ASU Sun Devils the UConn Huskies and Phoenix Mercury. If I had to pick players that I'm a fan of it would include DT, Stewie, Gabby, Kia, Robbie Ryan, and Jamie Ruden. Like most of us on the boneyard I found AOs cheap shot on Crystal very upsetting and a reflection on both her character and the coaching that she receives. With all that said I feel good about observing that she is one of the top three rookies this year in a rookie class that seems to my memory unparalleled in recent WNBA history. So recognizing her achievements in the context of a discussion of rookie of the year I don't think makes me a fan of hers. There have been any number of sports figures who I have admired for their performance but not for their character or the depth of their commitment to their team.

I guess for me, the issues are not 'character issues' but style issues

I would put the rookies into the following classes

Arike - Hero Baller.
Tiera - Brute Force Baller
Naphessa - Complete / Artistic Baller

I would love to see Naphessa win because her style of ball is why I love WBB and I would like to see that acknowledged The other 2 rookies are excellent in their styles but those styles are not ideal for me.

I understand the other 2 are going to get better and diversify their games but
Naphessa is the holy grail in terms of style of play (oh and character.:) )

Reaction Score
Players like Arike are like "the little girl with the curl" When they are good they are very very good. But when they are not they are awful. Sort of reminds me of Shoni Schimmel. They certainly can win you games, more often than not they will also brick you out of wins as well. Basically, they lack a conscience or the judgment to recognize when their shots are not dropping but instead just keep right on shooting. I mean if you are 2 for 20 it should occur to you that perhaps it might be better if someone else takes the shot.
The ones you write about: Since age 2 their teams always had an "I" in it. Collier knew how to spell and play TEAM ball. Damn shame, it this case the good guy (girl) won't finish first. Hood basket ball learned on the playgrounds (first in NY) teachese ME first everyone else last. Missouri apparently see it differently.

Reaction Score
I guess for me, the issues are not 'character issues' but style issues

I would put the rookies into the following classes

Arike - Hero Baller.
Tiera - Brute Force Baller
Naphessa - Complete / Artistic Baller

I would love to see Naphessa win because her style of ball is why I love WBB and I would like to see that acknowledged The other 2 rookies are excellent in their styles but those styles are not ideal for me.

I understand the other 2 are going to get better and diversify their games but
Naphessa is the holy grail in terms of style of play (oh and character.:) )

Totally agree. I keep going back to these stats for Arike and Napheesa (IMO ROY is between these two players).

Arike, in 28 games averages 15.6 FGA, total for the 28 games; 437 with a FG% of 37.4%.

Napheesa in 30 games averages 10 FGA, total for 30 games: 300 with a FG% of 48.3%.

Let me add, if Arike was anywhere close to the FG% of Napheesa, then I would say Arike wins ROY hands down. To maintain that 17.1 pts/gm (Napheesa no slouch at 12.7 pts/gm) she needs to volume shoot to compensate for that 37.4% FG%.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. I keep going back to these stats for Arike and Napheesa (IMO ROY is between these two players).

Arike, in 28 games averages 15.6 FGA, total for the 28 games; 437 with a FG% of 37.4%.

Napheesa in 30 games averages 10 FGA, total for 30 games: 300 with a FG% of 48.3%.

Let me add, if Arike was anywhere close to the FG% of Napheesa, then I would say Arike wins ROY hands down. To maintain that 17.1 pts/gm (Napheesa no slouch at 12.7 pts/gm) she needs to volume shoot to compensate for that 37.4% FG%.
My point earlier about AO and her attempts per game 15.6 is to many , when the most by the best player anywhere last year. Stewie has never averaged more then 15.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
By any measure, her best game. She won it almost single handedly down the stretch in a close game on the road against a desperate Sky team.

Reaction Score
By any measure, her best game. She won it almost single handedly down the stretch in a close game on the road against a desperate Sky team.
Agreed! Another 30-plus performance with five rebounds and six assists. She's really upped her game over the last month. As you point out this road win over playoff-bound sky reflected her ability to really take charge of the game. Closing out the season with these types of performances in my mind makes for an extremely close ROY

For a contrary view

Last edited:

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
My point earlier about AO and her attempts per game 15.6 is to many , when the most by the best player anywhere last year. Stewie has never averaged more then 15.

Breanna Stewart also had the luxury of playing all three seasons with both the best PG in the history of the WNBA (Sue Bird), as well as a former #1 draft pick/ROY/All-WNBA player (Jewell Loyd), not to mention one season with the WNBA's MIP award winner (Natasha Howard). And that is not counting Alysha Clark and Crystal Langhorne, two veterans who averaged between 18 ppg and 21 ppg combined for two of Stewart's three years.

Arike Ogunbowale is playing without a true point guard, as Skylar Diggins-Smith (pregnancy) and Moriah Jefferson (injury). She has Glory Johnson who was an All Star, but that was in 2013-14...and Johnson has had her own injuries and has missed games this year. There are Allisha Gray and Kayla Thornton, who are definitely solid (combined, they average 21 ppg). Whereas they would be the equivalent of Clark and Langhorne on Seattle and Ogunbowale filling the Stewart role (to continue the Seattle comparison), there is no one at the Bird/Loyd level on Dallas' roster.

Another sign of this is that Ogunbowale is 4th in the WNBA in free throw attempts, at 4.8 per game (she shoots 79.7 percent from the line). Only DeWanna Bonner, A'ja Wilson, and Liz Cambage get to the line more often. And she is 3rd in the WNBA in made free throws per contest (3.8 per game).

Look at the New York Liberty. Outside of Tina Charles and Kia Nurse, who else is there (especially now that Asia Durr -- who was having a nice rookie season, averaging 9.7 ppg -- is done for the year and will miss over 33 percent of the 2019 season. Charles is averaging 17.6 FG attempts per game, but is only shooting 38.6 percent from the floor.. Why does Charles shoot so much? Because she has to.

As an aside, if you look at the ten games Ogunbowale played in August, you will see she was much more efficient with her shooting. Yes, she took 18 attempts, but she also shot 44.4 percent overall and 44.9 percent from three. And she got to the foul line a lot more, averaging 7.9 attempts per game (and making 78.5 percent of them). Side note...since 2002, only one player in the entire league had a season of averaging at least 7.9 free throw attempts for a full season (2011 - Angel McCoughtry).

Simply put, Ogunbowale has had to shoot more because there is no one else who can be a #1 option (or a #2 option, for that matter), to say nothing about not having a true point guard to facilitate. And to use Stewart as a comparison by raw numbers does not take into account the talent/quality of their respective teammates.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom