Arike Ogunbowale

Arike Ogunbowale wins rookie of the year

• Yes

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • No

Votes: 44 63.8%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I think the 35 point, 6 assist, 0 turnover effort kind of solidified ROY for Ogunbowale. She’s improved over the course of the season and continues to have enough eye popping stats night in and night out to impress those that vote. As much as I want Collier to get ROY—and believe she deserves it for her all around play on both sides of the ball—her ppg might be what ends up holding her back from getting it. That’s by no means a shot on her. She plays well and she plays team ball rather than hero ball, but she ppg is looked at too heavily for all POY awards. In the same way I don’t think McCowan would be considered because of Indiana’s record, I don’t think Collier will win it because she averages less ppg than Ogunbowale. Certain criteria just seems to matter more than it should.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Collier averages less shots per game also. If they are going with one stat then McCowan should be considered because she leads all rookies in rebounds. Consistency over a full season should be a big determining factor, imo. Arike does not meet that.

Reaction Score
Dallas lost two All-WNBA players from a team that was 14-19 last year.

All they got back from Cambage in terms of immediate help is Izzy Harrison, a huge downgrade. Without Diggins or Jefferson, they don't even have a real point guard. Just Kaela Davis playing out of position and Brooke McCarty, who didn't even make a roster as a rookie.

She's the offensive centerpiece of the least-talented team in the league as a rookie. The results are predictably terrible (33.6% FG)

#2 and #3 on the team in FGA/36 minutes are Kaela Davis (37.0 FG%) and Kayla Thornton(34.7 FG%). It's easy to say she should shoot less but her team doesn't have many good options. Besides, her coach is running plays for her, which I assume means that he wants her to shoot.

Basically, she is doing her job, but her job is nearly impossible.
Dallas Wings were 15-19 in 2018 with Liz Cambage. In 2017, without Liz Cambage they were 16-18.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Ogunbowale with 35 points on 10-24 shooting and 7 assists Saturday.

She's going to win the award. Scoring trumps everything.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Ogunbowale with 35 points on 10-24 shooting and 7 assists Saturday.

She's going to win the award. Scoring trumps everything.

Most likely true. On the other hand, it was interesting to hear the Post game interview one of the Dallas sideline reporters had with EDD about Arike

When asked her thoughts about ROY candidate Arike's play (trying to get EDD's endorsement it seemed to me), she said she is a fantastic scorer and fun to watch.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Dallas Wings were 15-19 in 2018 with Liz Cambage. In 2017, without Liz Cambage they were 16-18.

And your point is?

Even if you argue that Cambage isn't a difference maker (which would be absurd), they are still without Diggins.

Also they traded Aerial Powers for Tayler Hill last July. Hill has played 4 games for Dallas. Powers is 2nd in total points and 4th in ppg for the best team in the league, Washington.

And they've missed last year's first round pick most of the year as Stevens has battled injuries.

I really don't see how anyone can dispute that Dallas has a weak roster both overall and in comparison to last year's Wings.

Reaction Score
And your point is?

Even if you argue that Cambage isn't a difference maker (which would be absurd), they are still without Diggins.

Also they traded Aerial Powers for Tayler Hill last July. Hill has played 4 games for Dallas. Powers is 2nd in total points and 4th in ppg for the best team in the league, Washington.

And they've missed last year's first round pick most of the year as Stevens has battled injuries.

I really don't see how anyone can dispute that Dallas has a weak roster both overall and in comparison to last year's Wings.
My post made no mention of 2019. There were way too many changes in 2019 to make a comparison. My post was pointing out the Wings had a BETTER record WITHOUT Cambage in 2017 then WITH her in 2018.
Aerial Powers is a completely different player in Mike Thibault’s system. You adapt to the culture or hit the road. She was inefficient (dismal 3.7 efficiency rating) in 7 games for the Wings in 2018. The Wings gave up on her and got no net value receiving Hill and a 2nd rounder used to pick Kennedy Burke who they cut. Powers went from being an undisciplined player to the 12th most efficient player in the league. Mike Thibault with a master stroke.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Over on the Rookie of the Year thread Orangutan posted:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From SI

Arike Ogunbowale turned into a freaking supernova.

Here are some stats for you, courtesy of Rachel Galligan. In August, Arike averaged 25 points per game, shot 42% from the field and 44% from three. She’s got three games over 30 points, all of which have come in the past 16 days or so and her season averages are 18.1 points, three assists, 38.2% shooting and 34% shooting.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From SI

Arike Ogunbowale turned into a freaking supernova.

Here are some stats for you, courtesy of Rachel Galligan. In August, Arike averaged 25 points per game, shot 42% from the field and 44% from three. She’s got three games over 30 points, all of which have come in the past 16 days or so and her season averages are 18.1 points, three assists, 38.2% shooting and 34% shooting.

I haven’t seen a guard have a stretch like this since I started watching the WNBA in 2014. That year Maya Moore was a freak and in her prime. Arike is the best at creating her own shot in the league right now. I’m not an Arike fan but she is just plain lights out now on the offensive side. Good for the league.
Conversely, I’ve never seen anyone cut to the basket like Collier period. She’s smart and plays on both sides. If I had to choose for ROY it’d be Arike. If I had to choose who to start my own team with it would be Collier.
I remember watching the U18 USA games when Durr and Ogunbowale were playing together. I thought Arike would be a better pro because of her strength. Durr still needs to get stronger because of her frame. Walz would mention the importance of that to her. Ogunbowale can overpower her defender and use her body as a weapon to get separation. She’s fast too with incredibly quick moves with the ball. Has everything but efficiency and that’s been getting better.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am a Liberty Fan and while the Liberty have been a major disappointment, I have been very pleased with Asia after a tough start and before she seemed to have physical issues prior to her major hamstring issues. She naturally fits well into an offense (something a UConn fan should appreciate) and makes smart decisions. She plays with an elegance I like and she can score in alot of different ways but does not fire up at will like her evil ;) nemesis.

I understand her 3pt shooting has not been good but she is too good a shooter for that to remain the case imho.

Maybe there is a correlation between Liberty doing reasonably well and Asia playing major minutes and the nosedive once she went down.

I also think Arike is lucky to have Agler who is really pushing her to develop an all around game. Not sure how she would look under Katie Smith. Probably more of a mad gunner than she is in Dallas?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I am a Liberty Fan and while the Liberty have been a major disappointment, I have been very pleased with Asia after a tough start and before she seemed to have physical issues prior to her major hamstring issues. She naturally fits well into an offense (something a UConn fan should appreciate) and makes smart decisions. She plays with an elegance I like and she can score in alot of different ways but does not fire up at will like her evil ;) nemesis.

I understand her 3pt shooting has not been good but she is too good a shooter for that to remain the case imho.

Maybe there is a correlation between Liberty doing reasonably well and Asia playing major minutes and the nosedive once she went down.

I also think Arike is lucky to have Agler who is really pushing her to develop an all around game. Not sure how she would look under Katie Smith. Probably more of a mad gunner than she is in Dallas?

Never understood the hype for Durr over Arike. Arike is a more physical player, better at getting her own shot and is a better passer than Durr. Durr is very smooth and has a great shot but playsmore passively and isnt as dynamic as Arike IMO.

If Durr were on the Wings they'd be dead last IMO. Durr could potentially excel as option 2, 3 or 4 but I dont see her as a star with her skill set. She has better height but isnt a great creator or distributor. Dallas needed a star without Diggins/Cambage and Arike has stepped up to the plate and is playing lights out in a high pressure role despite a rocky start. Agler needed a playmaker and he got the best one in the draft.

If Arike was drafted by the Liberty, her numbers would be significantly lower since they already have a "mad gunner" in Tina Charles who is consistently the highest volume shooter in the league. For better or worse, the team for years has been built around Tina taking 18-20 shots per game, so Ogunbowale would likely be a support player rather than a go to player. Probably wouldnt be doing nearly as well as she is in Dallas if she were playing for Katie Smith.

Dallas is the only team in the league where Arike plays PG and is expected to carry the scoring load too. She wont be playing PG next year with Diggins back.

Reaction Score
As the season winds down the ROY race heats up. This thread has 36% speculating that AO will win ROY. Over on the WNBA rookie of the Year thread the vote is 71% for Pheesa and 17% for AO. As I said over there I see this as closer to a 50/50 race

Reaction Score

Since the All-Star Break, Ogunbowale leads all players in scoring with 24.6 points a game on 44 percent shooting. The point guard, who is playing that position for the first time in her career as a WNBA starter, is averaging four assists a game in the second half of the season — mostly via quietly absurd one-handed passes. She became the first rookie with seven consecutive 20-point games, and then she became the first rookie with three consecutive 30-point games. Both streaks are active.

Half way through the first quarter, AO has all the Wings points (4).

AO finishes the game with her fourth consecutive 30-plus performance in a Wings loss. She ties Maya Moore for most consecutive 30 point games in a row

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Since the All-Star Break, Ogunbowale leads all players in scoring with 24.6 points a game on 44 percent shooting. The point guard, who is playing that position for the first time in her career as a WNBA starter, is averaging four assists a game in the second half of the season — mostly via quietly absurd one-handed passes. She became the first rookie with seven consecutive 20-point games, and then she became the first rookie with three consecutive 30-point games. Both streaks are active.

AO finishes the game with her fourth consecutive 30-plus performance in a Wings loss. She ties Maya Moore for most consecutive 30 point games in a row

Interesting. But pretty sure that games in the first half of the season count exactly as much as games in the second half of the season.

Reaction Score

No doubt Agler has given Arike the green light to shoot, especially in the last four games. In the Wings last four games (3 losses and 1 win) Arike shot 43-94 (FGM-A) an average of 23.5 shots per game. She has increased her FGA/gm from 15.6 to 16.6 and taken over 1/3 (35%) of total team attempts (268). The Wings are not playing for the playoffs, it seems getting Arike the ROY award is the next best thing.

WestCoastPup

Eclipse
Reaction Score
I thinking … green lighting AO shooting brings a buzz around the team and puts bottoms in the seats. EDD said she's "fun to watch", so maybe they're building a fan base around AO.

Reaction Score
@CocoHusky said it best:

“[Agler] is coaching a professional team where [his] job depends on winning.”

If he thought limiting Arike’s attempts from the field would help him win more games, he would do so, but obviously he doesn’t.

There came a point in the season where it became glaringly obvious it wasn’t in the cards for the team this season. The only thing left to win was an individual award. Have you seen how important this award is to the fans in social media? Ogunbowale winning ROY would be comparable to Dallas winning a championship. So, it would seem that’s what’s happening here.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Ogunbowale can overpower her defender and use her body as a weapon to get separation. She’s fast too with incredibly quick moves with the ball. Has everything but efficiency and that’s been getting better.

Picking up on two of your points

- Power: Ogunbowale was a soccer player of note in Wisconsin. According to classmates of mine that have seen her play, she was known for her runs (with the ball) right at defenders (when the opposition was playing man to man) or through pinching or zone sets. No surprisingly, it was very difficult to separate her from the ball, where her (relatively) low center of gravity helped her, as did her strength.

- Speed. Kara Lawson has brought this up on numerous occasions. Ogunbowale is a lot faster in person than people expect. It's one thing to see her turn the corner from the wing on tape, and quite another to have it happen to you on court. Now the WNBA is a lot faster than even the top NCAA games, but Ogunbowale is using that speed and power to get to and through the lane...and/or to the foul line.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Of the three top rookies this year AO has a charisma or a attitude it seems made for primetime

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There came a point in the season where it became glaringly obvious it wasn’t in the cards for the team this season. The only thing left to win was an individual award. Have you seen how important this award is to the fans in social media? Ogunbowale winning ROY would be comparable to Dallas winning a championship. So, it would seem that’s what’s happening here.
When my daughter was playing AAU her mom told her if she scored x points she could have a dog. She told her teammates who were feeding her like she was Lebron until she hit the mark. Kind feel like an analogous thing is going on with Arike now.

I'd love to see Napheesa win it but Arike has made a case for herself. We'll see.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think it will be a close and interesting vote. Of course, I'm a Husky and Phee fan. Plus, I thought Arike displayed a punk attitude in at least 2 games her senior year (which affects my opinion, but not her ROY campaign). Arike was better than I expected this year, especially late in the season, when her efficiency improved. She has been out of control at times in her career, but she is FUN to watch. Tempo increases every time she touches the ball. It will be interesting to see how she and Skylar co-exist.

Reaction Score
AO finishes second by 8 to 6 in the AP Rookie of the Year award voting. This article does an outstanding job of analyzing her game particularly with the issue of efficiency which has been raised on this thread frequently. Highly recommend.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom