Aresco: We are losing multiple schools | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Aresco: We are losing multiple schools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
FB only is not good for us. That would mean BYU is FB only, UH is in, and Cinco is in. Who else would be FB only? Tulane?
why can't it be 4 adds plus 2 FB only add's... Maybe that is where some people have heard or gotten 6 teams from?

Reaction Score
People keep saying that....but where are they going?

The Longhorn Network runs through 2030 and Oklahoma is a very iffy add when the SEC and Big Ten are pulling down the kind of money they will be pulling down in the mid-2020s.

OU to SEC makes good sense for all sides. But it comes back to the who's #16 question?

Reaction Score
OU to SEC makes good sense for all sides. But it comes back to the who's #16 question?
SEC will have their pick of #16, but most likely Kansas (renew their rivalry with Mizzou). They wil be the Kentucky of the SEC West

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

In the past, I would agree.

Now...not so much.

First, Oklahoma is a very small state. In terms of eyeballs, you're not going to make back the investment in OU by selling the SEC Network in Oklahoma.

Second, you're not going to appreciably enhance the conference's reputation by inviting OU. As good as they are, the SEC is already held in higher regard than the NFC South.

Third, Oklahoma State. They are politically tied together tighter than any two schools. No one is paying $100,000,000 a year to lock down the state of Oklahoma.

If Boren was simply trying to run out the clock, he would not be calling for expansion, making noise about having options, etc. I think he knows the metrics have changed and they're not in his favor the way they once might have been. And remember, even when all this started, the PAC10 was unwilling to take Oklahoma unless Texas was involved.

Reaction Score
Yes and likely UT joins ACC as either full member or something close to ND

the AAC might be better than the B12 w/o UT, KU or OU honestly

SEC will have their pick of #16, but most likely Kansas (renew their rivalry with Mizzou). They wil be the Kentucky of the SEC West

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I really don't think Aresco knows the outcome for sure. Probably has an idea, but I really doubt anyone knows yet, perhaps even the big xii hasn't made up its mind yet. In any case, the idea of having multiple aac teams leave is good for us. I doubt expansion would be just two teams, which means it's likely four. Football only is obviously BYU, and I have trouble believing Boise state could get in. I really think it's three American teams and BYU football only.

Reaction Score
In the past, I would agree.

Now...not so much.

First, Oklahoma is a very small state. In terms of eyeballs, you're not going to make back the investment in OU by selling the SEC Network in Oklahoma.

Second, you're not going to appreciably enhance the conference's reputation by inviting OU. As good as they are, the SEC is already held in higher regard than the NFC South.

Third, Oklahoma State. They are politically tied together tighter than any two schools. No one is paying $100,000,000 a year to lock down the state of Oklahoma.

If Boren was simply trying to run out the clock, he would not be calling for expansion, making noise about having options, etc. I think he knows the metrics have changed and they're not in his favor the way they once might have been. And remember, even when all this started, the PAC10 was unwilling to take Oklahoma unless Texas was involved.

It's 28th out of 50, right in the middle. Is there any actual proof that those two are politically tied together other than the speculation we've heard?

Reaction Score
There's one tweet I saw today that stood out to me the most. Gordon Gee tweeted that he is on vacation next week (cruise to Alaska). Could mean nothing but then I got thinking. If the B12 needed to make some kind of decision soon, wouldn't the presidents be around this week? The alternative is that they already have their choices made up. If there's no announcement made next week then I think it means this decision goes late into August maybe even September. I kind of just want this all to end. It's messing with my well being.

Reaction Score
Maybe UConn and Cincy as full members, BYU and Houston as FB only? That may be a compromise on the "expansion only happens if Houston is included" insistence of the TX politicians.

Or maybe they go major expansion and have UConn, Cincy, Houston, and UCF as full members...with BYU and Boise St as FB only members.

Those are the only two scenarios in which FB only is a good thing for UConn. I just don't see UConn accepting a FB only invite.

Football only would be a win-win if we go back to the Big East in everything else, and more than o.k. If we go to the A-Ten in everything else, so long as we get to be a full member if the P-5 ever splits from Division 1 in other sports. BUT IT'S NOT HAPPENING. The Big XII is not going to buy the cow just so it can give the milk away for free. And our ability to deliver Metro NY (in small part) to the XII requires we be a member in hoops.

Reaction Score
The B12 network is a pipe dream as long as the LHN exist & neither ESPN or UT have any incentive to change that. OU & OSU make sense for the SEC when you factor in their large presence of grads in Texas especially DFW & OU is a college blue blood just like NU was for the B1G, so population of the state is not a factor with them

Reaction Score
talked about BYU getting FB, men's and women's hoops

That could make sense for UConn too and b12 if they are UConn's partner and then UH, Cincy for all sports

Being in the XII for "only" football and basketball is a total win. Hockey and soccer aren't Big XII sports, and while I'd rather baseball in the XII than the Big East or A-Ten, I don't really care. As for every other sport, it makes perfect sense not to leave our geographic region.

Reaction Score
It is remarkable how much meaning some of you can divine from some fairly vague quotes. I'm pessimistic by nature about these things and even I didn't read that much into his quotes other than "we're gonna lose some members.'

Reminder - Aresco was touting the Louisville-Cincinnati rivalry about seven hours before Louisville was voted into the ACC.

It's only "remarkable" until you realize how many here aren't that bright.

Reaction Score
I agree and one of the "sources" said he was hearing BYU was getting in as football and men's/women's hoops. So that makes perfect sense as a partner with B12 getting UConn's best assets and UConn getting a solid football home.

I posted earlier, then both rationalize and otherwise find homes for other sports. If some have to die so be it.

Being in the XII for "only" football and basketball is a total win. Hockey and soccer aren't Big XII sports, and while I'd rather baseball in the XII than the Big East or A-Ten, I don't really care. As for every other sport, it makes perfect sense not to leave our geographic region.

Reaction Score
I agree and one of the "sources" said he was hearing BYU was getting in as football and men's/women's hoops. So that makes perfect sense as a partner with B12 getting UConn's best assets and UConn getting a solid football home.

I posted earlier, then both rationalize and otherwise find homes for other sports. If some have to die so be it.
Can UConn or BYU even do that? I thought that you have to play all of your sports in one conference unless you conference doesn't play that sport. That's why BYU is in the West Coast Conference for there non-football sports. So UConn would be able to play football somewhere, and other sports in the Big East (for example), because the Big East doesn't have football. But where would UConn (or BYU) put all of its other sports if it had to find a conference that doesn't play football or basketball?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
As a Kansas fan, the Big 12 should take UC and UCONN, Houston and BYU as football only. That makes the most sense. If the Big 12 adds Memphis, I hope it folds in eight years, and we land somewhere. I know KU is pulling for UCONN because of academics and basketball, but in the end, we usually do what Texas tells us to do...sigh.

This person should never post to this account again. Create a new one and retire with a 10+/1 like to post ratio. Congratulations sir, you have won the internet.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Can UConn or BYU even do that? I thought that you have to play all of your sports in one conference unless you conference doesn't play that sport. That's why BYU is in the West Coast Conference for there non-football sports. So UConn would be able to play football somewhere, and other sports in the Big East (for example), because the Big East doesn't have football. But where would UConn (or BYU) put all of its other sports if it had to find a conference that doesn't play football or basketball?
I believe you are correct. If your conference offers the sport, you must keep it there. All of our rando sports in the BE now aren't covered by the AAC. We can't just move football and basketball without all other sports the B12 offers coming along.

Reaction Score
Houston is being taken to prevent the SEC from coming calling.

That's the same rationale as to why the ACC or B1G should want to grab us now, before the Big12 acts, to keep the Big 12 from imposing its footprint right in their backyard of NYC and NE.

Reaction Score
I believe you are correct. If your conference offers the sport, you must keep it there. All of our rando sports in the BE now aren't covered by the AAC. We can't just move football and basketball without all other sports the B12 offers coming along.

Miami baseball from 1991 to 2004 disagrees with you.

Its a rarity that a conference sponsors a sport that a full member does not participate in (and I can think of very few examples, current or historical, outside of conferences that have schools which straddle the FBS/FCS divide, like the Patriot League), but it is ALL up to the deal the schools settle upon joining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom