Aresco: We are losing multiple schools | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Aresco: We are losing multiple schools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The football only hypothesis makes absolutely no goshdarn sense. Sorry to reiterate the plainly obvious, but there'd be no mutual benefit for either UConn or the Big XII. I almost lost an eye from rolling my eyes too hard last time I read that nonsense.

Outside of that, I'm holding out (some reasonable) hope that this is the time UConn finally finds it's way back into a top tier conference again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I believe you are correct. If your conference offers the sport, you must keep it there. All of our rando sports in the BE now aren't covered by the AAC. We can't just move football and basketball without all other sports the B12 offers coming along.

Temple was a football only in the BE for many years.

Reaction Score
Temple was a football only in the BE for many years.

A10 (rest of Temple sports) didn't have football.

Good point on Miami, but they stayed independent. I think the rule is you can't play in another conference that has your other sports.

Reaction Score
You're trolling me! ;-) They're A10 in everything else (except Hockey East). A10 doesn't play FBS football.

But that's the catch, isn't it?

I mean, the Big East doesn't play football either. UConn would be in the BE in need of a football home.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

I mean, the Big East doesn't play football either. UConn would be in the BE in need of a football home.
It's in response to the idea that BYU or UConn could put just football and hoops into the b12.

Reaction Score

Agreed. UConn could do football only in the Big 12, although I can't see why the Big 12 would want that. It's the concept that UConn and BYU could play football AND basketball in the Big 12. The Big East obviously plays basketball (and the WCC also) so I don't think they could play bball in the Big 12.

Reaction Score
A10 (rest of Temple sports) didn't have football.

Good point on Miami, but they stayed independent. I think the rule is you can't play in another conference that has your other sports.

If such a rule exists, it is not universal, but rather applies on a league-by-league basis.

Because here are some examples that violate this "rule":
1) Notre Dame ice hockey in the Big Ten;
2) UConn women's lacrosse and field hockey in the Big East;
3) Villanova football in the Colonial;
4) Temple women's lacrosse and field hockey in the Big East;
5) Cincinnati women's lacrosse and field hockey in the Big East;
6) Florida women's lacrosse in the Big East;
7) Vanderbilt women's lacrosse in the Big East;
8) Kentucky men's soccer in Conference USA;
9) South Carolina men's soccer in Conference USA;
10) West Virginia men's soccer in the MAC;
11) New Mexico men's soccer in Conference USA;
12) Denver men's lacrosse in the Big East;
13) Old Dominion field hockey in the Big East;
14) Air Force men's lacrosse in Atlantic Sun;
15) Air Force men's wrestling in the Big Twelve;
16) Tennessee women's rowing in the Big Twelve;
17) Alabama women's rowing in the Big Twelve;
18) Boise State wrestling in the Pac-12;
19) San Diego State soccer in the Pac-12;

In other words, if the leagues in question all allowed it, a team could play Big Twelve football, ACC basketball, Big Ten ice hockey, Big East lacrosse, Pac Ten volleyball, SEC baseball, CUSA soccer, and Ivy League gymnastics.

Reaction Score
If such a rule exists, it is not universal, but rather applies on a league-by-league basis.

Because here are some examples that violate this "rule":
1) Notre Dame ice hockey in the Big Ten; ACC doesn't have hockey
2) UConn women's lacrosse and field hockey in the Big East; AAC doesn't have those sports
3) Villanova football in the Colonial; Big East doesn't have football
4) Temple women's lacrosse and field hockey in the Big East; etc, etc, etc,
5) Cincinnati women's lacrosse and field hockey in the Big East;
6) Florida women's lacrosse in the Big East;
7) Vanderbilt women's lacrosse in the Big East;
8) Kentucky men's soccer in Conference USA;
9) South Carolina men's soccer in Conference USA;
10) West Virginia men's soccer in the MAC;
11) New Mexico men's soccer in Conference USA;
12) Denver men's lacrosse in the Big East;
13) Old Dominion field hockey in the Big East;
14) Air Force men's lacrosse in Atlantic Sun;
15) Air Force men's wrestling in the Big Twelve;
16) Tennessee women's rowing in the Big Twelve;
17) Alabama women's rowing in the Big Twelve;
18) Boise State wrestling in the Pac-12;
19) San Diego State soccer in the Pac-12;

In other words, if the leagues in question all allowed it, a team could play Big Twelve football, ACC basketball, Big Ten ice hockey, Big East lacrosse, Pac Ten volleyball, SEC baseball, CUSA soccer, and Ivy League gymnastics.

You've definitely done some work there, but I think you are missing my point. I believe a team has to play all its sports in one conference unless that conference doesn't offer the sport in question. In that case they can play the sport in another conference. From my review (and I admit I don't have all sports memorized), in every one of those situations, the team's primary conference doesn't sponsor the sport you are referencing.

UConn would still need a home for some sports. I know the Big 12 doesn't have soccer or hockey.

Reaction Score
You've definitely done some work there, but I think you are missing my point. I believe a team has to play all its sports in one conference unless that conference doesn't offer the sport in question. In that case they can play the sport in another conference. From my review (and I admit I don't have all sports memorized), in every one of those situations, the team's primary conference doesn't sponsor the sport you are referencing.

UConn would still need a home for some sports. I know the Big 12 doesn't have soccer or hockey.

I think the B12 has women's soccer

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

The rule you are claiming as universal is discretionary by conference. It is up to each individual conference as to how firm they would stand to require participation.

Reaction Score

And you're definitely missing mine.

When such a rule exists, it is ONLY part of an agreement between a conference and prospective or current members, and is not universal. And since I can think of at least three examples, historical or otherwise, where the rule is violated (Notre Dame football, between the Big East and ACC; Miami baseball when Miami was a full member of the Big East; Niagara men's hockey when the MAAC hockey league existed), even an existing conference by-law is still negotiable.

The point being: if the Big Twelve only wanted its teams to guarantee football and basketball, and let its members either play in a Big Twelve sponsored league for other sports or to do as they wish, they can definitively do that.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So if we are one of the three schools which exit the AAC, then I think they will just take the very available UMass and stay at 10.

Temple/Umass/ECU/Navy/UCF
Tulsa/SMU/Tulane/Memphis/USF

Reaction Score
I don't understand this big travel issue. Big 12 schools are already going to West Virginia, UCONN can't be much more than an extra 45 minute flight. The Big 12 should take UCONN for football, men's and women's basketball, baseball, softball and women's volleyball (if UCONN has a team). Everything else should stay regional.

Reaction Score
"BYU for football only" is consistent with some of the "insiders" *cough* on Twitter that past 48 hours.

BYU football only with Colorado State (all sports) as travel partner from Mountain time zone.
Houston and Memphis (due to Fed Ex investment) could be #4. UCONN seems more like a long shot. Hope I am wrong.

BYU - Football only -

Monson: For BYU, football-only membership in Big 12 is perfect enough

Check this out on Colorado State:

Colorado State's pitch to the Big 12 looks like this 12-page brochure

Memphis:

University of Memphis lobbying for possible Big 12 expansion spot

Houston and others:

Big 12 drawing interest from Houston, Memphis

Reaction Score
BYU football only with Colorado State (all sports) as travel partner from Mountain time zone.
Houston and Memphis (due to Fed Ex investment) could be #4. UCONN seems more like a long shot. Hope I am wrong.

BYU - Football only -
Monson: For BYU, football-only membership in Big 12 is perfect enough

Check this out on Colorado State:
Colorado State's pitch to the Big 12 looks like this 12-page brochure

Memphis:
University of Memphis lobbying for possible Big 12 expansion spot

Houston and others:
Big 12 drawing interest from Houston, Memphis

Really... posting articles from May here?? Ancient history on this board.

Reaction Score
Really... posting articles from May here?? Ancient history on this board.

The CSU piece was posted to inform to what extent the Rams have gone to pitch themselves to the Big 12.
I thought it was relevant to the discussion.

You might want to tone down the sarcasm and critical nature of your postings. I know you think of yourself as the most informed Husky with the Hot Wheels and all but you really come off as a wise guy most of the time.

Here is a more timely one.

Dick Harmon: Critical vision of Oklahoma's Boren has put BYU in crosshairs of Big 12 expansion plans

Last edited:

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The CSU piece was posted to inform to what extent the Rams have gone to pitch themselves to the Big 12.
I thought it was relevant to the discussion.

You might want to tone down the sarcasm and critical nature of your postings. I know you think of yourself as the most informed Husky with the Hot Wheels and all but you really come off as a wise guy most of the time.

Here is a more timely one.

Dick Harmon: Critical vision of Oklahoma's Boren has put BYU in crosshairs of Big 12 expansion plans
Pretty sure you should change your handle at this point.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Here are my takes on this thread:

1) The Aresco quote implying that multiple schools are leaving the conference is GREAT news for us, not bad news. It means we won't get scooped by a geographically more favorable Cincy or a politically more favorable Houston solely, and I can't imagine that there is more than 1 school outside of the AAC conference that the Big12 wants (BYU only).

2) If Aresco's information is accurate, this almost certainly means that the conference is expanding by 4. The 4 team expansion, as viewed by almost everyone on this board as well as in the media, includes UConn.

3) Taking UConn for "football only" and leaving our other gigantic, dominant sports programs out is like inviting Kim Kardashian to a party where everyone is attracted to ladies with small butts. Why on earth would you do that???

I'm still sticking to my original premise that UConn and BYU are in, since the move was almost certainly initiated by TV money from the recent ACC deal. There is no other available school that will deliver more tv money than those two. I've been kicked in the nuts multiple times over the last 15 years by this conference nonsense, but I am feeling oddly confident about this one... :cool:

Reaction Score
Here are my takes on this thread:

1) The Aresco quote implying that multiple schools are leaving the conference is GREAT news for us, not bad news. It means we won't get scooped by a geographically more favorable Cincy or a politically more favorable Houston solely, and I can't imagine that there is more than 1 school outside of the AAC conference that the Big12 wants (BYU only).

2) If Aresco's information is accurate, this almost certainly means that the conference is expanding by 4. The 4 team expansion, as viewed by almost everyone on this board as well as in the media, includes UConn.

3) Taking UConn for "football only" and leaving our other gigantic, dominant sports programs out is like inviting Kim Kardashian to a party where everyone is attracted to ladies with small butts. Why on earth would you do that???

I'm still sticking to my original premise that UConn and BYU are in, since the move was almost certainly initiated by TV money from the recent ACC deal. There is no other available school that will deliver more tv money than those two. I've been kicked in the nuts multiple times over the last 15 years by this conference nonsense, but I am feeling oddly confident about this one... :cool:
This is really about the pro rata clause to milk every last dime out their contract. I don't blame them. If they expanded by 4, I'm sure the existing schools could split the payout of 2 schools and the newcomers the payout of 2 schools. Everyone wins.

Now, if they are thinking of a non traditional network i.e streaming I think us and BYU become critical adds. But what do I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom