Aresco: We are losing multiple schools | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Aresco: We are losing multiple schools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"We're gonna lose some members.' is enough. It means its happening and history has not been kind to us. This also seems like the last life boat.

I'm worried.
This.

Been stung too many times. And this is confirmation that the future of the Huskies basically relies on a coin flip. And we're not even sure whether the coin is weighted or not.

This is why college sports are a bunch of BS these days. Even if we get chosen, I'll feel very bad for the schools left behind. Entire fan bases are being told "you're just not allowed to compete anymore".

It's why the Cuse board makes my blood boil. Zero empathy in those people and it has nothing to do with on the field play.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This.

Been stung too many times. And this is confirmation that the future of the Huskies basically relies on a coin flip. And we're not even sure whether the coin is weighted or not.

This is why college sports are a bunch of BS these days. Even if we get chosen, I'll feel very bad for the schools left behind. Entire fan bases are being told "you're just not allowed to compete anymore".

It's why the Cuse board makes my blood boil. Zero empathy in those people and it has nothing to do with on the field play.

Chip's interview was very good news. His only source is Texas, and they authorize every word that comes out of his mouth. If they are ok with 4, we are in decent shape. I don't think UCF or USF are in the mix anymore. The Memphis buy in plan sounds like fun, but if Memphis has these sugar daddies that are going to pour money into their athletic program, why hasn't it happened yet? My biggest fear is no expansion.

Reaction Score
My high will come from getting in a P5 league. UConn + hookers/blow = P5 Conference. Manuel never got that, Jurich did.
You want your kids around hookers and blow? Got it.

Reaction Score
This.

Syracuse is jealous of UConn - plain and simple. We have eclipsed them in so many ways - academically and athletically. They have a hard time competing against UConn in the marketplace. People don't want to send their kids to Syracuse for $65k a year when they can go to a better and more reasonably priced school in right up there in Storrs. I don't think Syracuse will ever help us because they don't like to be compared to us - plain and simple.

Reaction Score
July 25, 2016

"Benedict said an intact American Conference is still a viable alternative should the Huskies be passed over by the Power Five. But he said the idea that UConn would consider rejoining the Big East for sports other than football is not currently on the table."

UConn AD Preps Big 12 Pitch - Athletic Business

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
I'm gonna need CR Narcan soon. Im not feeling so good. Starting to go dark. I need help. The thought of hanging on every tweet and media blurb for the next month all while feeling the big12 butterflys in my stomach is all ready impacting my work. My wife's probably thinking of leaving me and my poor son is only going to hear about the glory days when UConn was atop the world in basketball. The pictures of him donning UConn gear will be the last thing I clutch to my chest as I overdose on a speedball of conference realignment tweets and longhorn blogs. Lord help me.

Reaction Score
It is remarkable how much meaning some of you can divine from some fairly vague quotes. I'm pessimistic by nature about these things and even I didn't read that much into his quotes other than "we're gonna lose some members.'

Reminder - Aresco was touting the Louisville-Cincinnati rivalry about seven hours before Louisville was voted into the ACC.

Then he pimped it for about 12 months afterwards. I'm not sure anyone had the heart to tell him they were leaving.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Chip's interview was very good news. His only source is Texas, and they authorize every word that comes out of his mouth. If they are ok with 4, we are in decent shape. I don't think UCF or USF are in the mix anymore. The Memphis buy in plan sounds like fun, but if Memphis has these sugar daddies that are going to pour money into their athletic program, why hasn't it happened yet? My biggest fear is no expansion.

At this point, it's possible that Memphis is hurting more than helping itself. They appear to be throwing money at the B12 since they know they fail miserably in any objective analysis of the metrics the B12 claims they're looking at. If (and it's a big if) the B12 presidents do not want to look like they're blatantly selling membership to the highest bidders, then Memphis should be gearing up for many more AAC campaigns. If they take Memphis, Commissioner Bob should change his name to Monty Hall.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Link?

Reaction Score

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I still dont believe 6 is the number under the tv contract. It seems odd to be hearing 6 at this late stage.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think he means this article:

Longhorns Writer Says Texas Won't 'Stand In Way' Of Houston Joining Big 12

“I’m hearing that if they’re going to expand, it’s most likely going to be by four rather than two,” Brown said, “because of provisions in the TV contract that call for the TV partners to pay equal share of the revenue right now for up to six schools added to the league.”

I found that story hardly encouraging. Instead I read "football...football...football...coaches...blossom...football football."

Reaction Score
Its not going to end well for UConn, me fears. BYU and Boise football only, Houston and Cincy all sports.
la la la la la la

Reaction Score
July 25, 2016

"Benedict said an intact American Conference is still a viable alternative should the Huskies be passed over by the Power Five. But he said the idea that UConn would consider rejoining the Big East for sports other than football is not currently on the table."

UConn AD Preps Big 12 Pitch - Athletic Business
Seems like he knows the answer already, I'm sorry to say.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Its not going to end well for UConn, me fears. BYU and Boise football only, Houston and Cincy all sports.
la la la la la la

Yes, I suddenly have a terrible feeling. BYU/UH/Cincy/[CSU/Memp/UCF].

While it doesn't present that way, maybe it can be viewed that BYU or UH took our spot. Our saving grace - the 3rd party media studies they did to frame this discussion paint us as a winner for tv $$$ which is what should matter for 2026+.

Reaction Score
Too me it only seems Houston is being taking to prevent the SEC from coming calling. If this is about starting a legitimate television nextwork, then UCONN is the best option. It's mind blowing how much the Big XII looks like the old Big East in terms of decision making.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Too me it only seems Houston is being taking to prevent the SEC from coming calling. If this is about starting a legitimate television nextwork, then UCONN is the best option. It's mind blowing how much the Big XII looks like the old Big East in terms of decision making.

It has nothing to do with starting a network.

Reaction Score

The SEC is made up of the top school and perhaps the #2 school in their states. Houston? Doubtful. I would bet Texas and/or Oklahoma to the SEC over Houston.

Reaction Score
When The SEC can pretty much have anyone in Texas and Oklahoma
Their really going to grab Houston?
That's a red herring to rationalize a blatant political power play.
Some people just begged to be lied to.

Reaction Score
It has nothing to do with starting a network.

Nor does it have anything to do with the SEC. Houston is already owned by the SEC because of Texas A&M, and they have the unwritten rule of not inviting another team from the same state.

Reaction Score
So basically this is just a life boat after Titanic sank?
It's about cashing in as much as possible before UT and OU split in 2024. Add 4 schools, get them to take a heavy discount, pocket the extra TV cash.

Beyond that, the measurements they use to pick schools are anyone's guess.

Reaction Score
It's about cashing in as much as possible before UT and OU split in 2024. Add 4 schools, get them to take a heavy discount, pocket the extra TV cash.

So I thought this was all about the TV money and cable boxes to start a new network. At least that's what I got when I read all the statements from the conference. If that's not the case then I don't think UConn get's the nod.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's about cashing in as much as possible before UT and OU split in 2024. Add 4 schools, get them to take a discount, pocket the extra TV cash.

People keep saying that....but where are they going?

The Longhorn Network runs through 2030 and Oklahoma is a very iffy add when the SEC and Big Ten are pulling down the kind of money they will be pulling down in the mid-2020s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom