Aresco: We are losing multiple schools | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Aresco: We are losing multiple schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
So 2 from the AAC?
JungleHusky you beat me to it. Like you, I think you could also interpret Aresco's remark as meaning that the AAC will add however many teams are needed to get back to 10 or 12 after teams leave for the B12. In other words, if 3 leave he could add either 1 or 3 teams to get back to 10 or 12, respectively.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Has anyone ever reported that non Texas schools were on board for Houston?

Or did everyone just assume because Texas said "they wanted" Houston, it was a given.

I liked the theory floated early on that Texas said yes just for show, knowing Houston couldn't get enough votes.

I would tend to agree with you. I don't think Texas likes any of the options, other than maybe BYU, but I have to imagine they have nothing but contempt for Houston. If the Texas Governor is going to make them vote for something, fine, but I don't see why they care that much, and I would think that TV and the non-Texas schools see little to no value of another Texas school. I would have put Houston at #4 on the expansion list. We will see soon enough.

Reaction Score
I read it 15 times...yea I know I have a problem...but 10 teams gets him a championship game so they need to be at 10. So what he's saying is : We can stay at 10 teams or go back up to 12.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I believe the 2016 tournament was Wednesday through Saturday. I don't know about future tournament dates, but that would definitely be something that has been discussed and would have to be negotiated in a contract. It seems a small sticking point to me in comparison to what we otherwise offer, and I can only hope the President's see it the same way. The NCAA has always been generous in accommodating us in their tournament (although we like to think it has perhaps bumped our seeding back a notch or two from time to time), and it seems to me that a conference could easily follow suit.
It looks like this Pat tournament did end on a Saturday. If this becomes a permanent thing, my point would then be irrelevant. I'm not sure this would be permanent and regardless of how accommodating the NCAA has been, the dates the conference tournament is played will be up to the TV networks and if the huge new contract is written with plans for the tournament ending on selection Sunday, that is when the championship game will be played.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Has anyone ever reported that non Texas schools were on board for Houston?

Or did everyone just assume because Texas said "they wanted" Houston, it was a given.

I liked the theory floated early on that Texas said yes just for show, knowing Houston couldn't get enough votes.

The ISU prez doesn't talk like he's on board with the Coogs. It only takes three no votes to torpedo anybody...including us.

Reaction Score
It looks like this Pat tournament did end on a Saturday. If this becomes a permanent thing, my point would then be irrelevant. I'm not sure this would be permanent and regardless of how accommodating the NCAA has been, the dates the conference tournament is played will be up to the TV networks and if the huge new contract is written with plans for the tournament ending on selection Sunday, that is when the championship game will be played.

I don't think it will be solely up to the TV networks. BYU, the Big 12, and the networks involved have certainly been in talks about when to host future tournaments (the Sunday thing with BYU isn't something that everyone isn't aware of). If the networks and the Big 12 conclude that it is better all around to potentially host that single tournament on a Sunday, at the expense of inviting BYU, then they will do that. On the other hand, if they decide that BYU would bring an excess of value to them all around at the expense of possibly hosting a future tournament on a Sunday, then they might do that. But it would be in a contract so that all parties are on the same page and know what they are getting, so as to avoid future conflict.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro