Are we still an elite program? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Are we still an elite program?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The only reason they were a 3 seed was because they won 5 games in 5 days? Well they did right? That has to count for something. That's why they play the games on the court and not Gregory Koch's head.
Well, if my grandmother had a beard, she'd be my grandfather. If LeBron James decided to be a football player, the Heat wouldn't have won the title this year. If the Russians weren't lazy, Eruzione and the Americans wouldn't have defeated them in '80. We can play this game into the ground, but the fact remains, it happened.

Reaction Score
need to look at the level of kids we are recruiting and has shown an interest in us for 2013 and beyond. Going by Scout as Rivals is incomplete for positional rankings, that the answer is yes.

Reaction Score
"If it wasn't for that miraculous 11 game run, 2011 would have been a mediocre year."

And if it wasn't for those 9 games we lost in the Big East regular season, we would have gone undefeated and been considered the greatest college basketball team in the history of the world!

caw

Reaction Score
Odd that after 2011 the question was: "Is UConn a blueblood?"

The answer to the above and the OP is no.

UConn is not and won't be a blueblood for a long time (a lot of that status, IMO, relates to longevity) but they are elite. How long does it take for the status of "elite" to dissipate?

UConn is literally the only non-blue blood school to have 3+ national championships. Below are the schools with as many or more than UConn:

• UCLA has not won a NCAAT since 1995.
  • UK (prior to this year) hadn't won one is 1998.
  • Indiana hasn't won one since 1987.
  • UNC has two since 2000.
  • Duke has two since 2000.
  • Kansas went 20 years between their championships.
Others with more than one championship:

• Cincy: not since 1962
  • Florida: two back to backs, nothing before and not a ton after
  • UL: not since 1986
  • MSU: 12 years no NCAAT Championship
  • NCST: not since 1983
  • Oklahoma A&M: not since 1946
  • San Francisco: not since 1956
That's it. There are those 14 schools with more than one national championship.
That leaves the 6 bluebloods, UConn and seven teams with two a piece. I think you can put the seven with two a piece into 3 categories: not relevant, not elite but good solid schools, and elite.
Not relevant:
Not elite but good solid program/school:
Elite:
  • UL: not since 1986.
UConn may never enter the realm of blueblood but they can definitely be classified as being in the Elite group with Florida/UL/MSU. It will take more than a few bad years (with a final four and a NC included in those years) to drop UConn off that level.

What programs (outside the bluebloods) are more elite than UConn?

I think only UL and MSU have an argument.

It's not just UConn having to fall off, but another programming actually stepping up. I would say UConn is a top 10 program and it isn't #9 or #10. Is that elite? Who can catch UConn? Call me when some team actually supplants UConn, not just when UConn has a down year.

Reaction Score
jeopardy- Is Huskymaniac still and idiot?

What are you saying Douchy? That anyone who thinks UConn is an elite program is an idiot? One would have to assume this is your implication since this was your lame ass response to me answering "yes" to the question "Are we still an elite program". I find it hilarious that you misspell "an" in an attempt to call someone an idiot. If I am an idiot your are almost dumb enough to not be able to breathe on your own.

Reaction Score
If I am an idiot your are almost dumb enough to not be able to breathe on your own.

This is what I love about message boards. Someone calls someone else dumb for a typo and in the process of calling that person "dumb" trots out an incoherent sentence of their own.

Reaction Score
Please stop using the word "retard". Among those involved with those with Special Needs that word is equivalent to the N word. I don't see that word used here. And 3 National championships in 12 years not only makes us an elite program, but it may make us the MOST elite. I thought winning championships is what really counts.

Reaction Score
Odd that after 2011 the question was: "Is UConn a blueblood?"

The answer to the above and the OP is no.

UConn is not and won't be a blueblood for a long time (a lot of that status, IMO, relates to longevity) but they are elite. How long does it take for the status of "elite" to dissipate?

UConn is literally the only non-blue blood school to have 3+ national championships. Below are the schools with as many or more than UConn:

• UCLA has not won a NCAAT since 1995.
  • UK (prior to this year) hadn't won one is 1998.
  • Indiana hasn't won one since 1987.
  • UNC has two since 2000.
  • Duke has two since 2000.
  • Kansas went 20 years between their championships.
Others with more than one championship:

• UL: not since 1986
That's it. There are those 14 schools with more than one national championship.
That leaves the 6 bluebloods, UConn and seven teams with two a piece. I think you can put the seven with two a piece into 3 categories: not relevant, not elite but good solid schools, and elite.
Not relevant:
Not elite but good solid program/school:
Elite:
  • UL: not since 1986.
UConn may never enter the realm of blueblood but they can definitely be classified as being in the Elite group with Florida/UL/MSU. It will take more than a few bad years (with a final four and a NC included in those years) to drop UConn off that level.

What programs (outside the bluebloods) are more elite than UConn?

I think only UL and MSU have an argument.

It's not just UConn having to fall off, but another programming actually stepping up. I would say UConn is a top 10 program and it isn't #9 or #10. Is that elite? Who can catch UConn? Call me when some team actually supplants UConn, not just when UConn has a down year.
I would have to say the success of the women's program cements our place overall as a blue blood basketball school. We will remain a destination school for the northeast as long as facilities are state-of-the-art. People will look back and acknowledge. We have a reputation now as an elite school with the international academic community. Who'd have imagined that would happen in 1990?

caw

Reaction Score
I would have to say the success of the women's program cements our place overall as a blue blood basketball school. We will remain a destination school for the northeast as long as facilities are state-of-the-art. People will look back and acknowledge. We have a reputation now as an elite school with the international academic community. Who'd have imagined that would happen in 1990?

I just don't see UConn as blueblood because of the relative lack of history. Blueblood implies length of greatness not just greatness, IMO. If UConn sustains this level for another 25 years then you can start discussing UConn being a Blueblood. Or if UConn wins a bunch of championships or something unique.

Reaction Score
I just don't see UConn as blueblood because of the relative lack of history. Blueblood implies length of greatness not just greatness, IMO. If UConn sustains this level for another 25 years then you can start discussing UConn being a Blueblood. Or if UConn wins a bunch of championships or something unique.
I can understand your perspective. But from the way things seem, this is just the beginning for UConn. The school has been skyrocketing in just about all aspects since joining the Big East.

Reaction Score
Everyone is wondering what will become of UConn hoops post Jim Calhoun. Articles are being written, threads are being posted, etc., wondering if we will be able to maintain elite status. But are we really elite anymore?

As much as I want to say yes, if Kemba's team doesn't have that miraculous post season run in 2011, and even the most optimistic UConn fan must admit we caught lightning in a bottle then, I'm not sure. Our last 7 years have been very mediocre and our post season record has been awful. The numbers below don't look like that of an elite program.

The 2011 title allowed us to maintain the elite perception, but the recent underlying numbers don't support it. I can't help but wonder if Arizona hits that 3 in the 2011 tourney if UConn would still be perceived as a top hoop school.

Anyway, I'm not looking to get slammed here. I'd love JC to stay 10 more years. But I'm just taking an honest look at recent history and really, it's not 'all that.'

With new facilities, etal, a new coach can likely at least maintain our recent records and hopefully even improve.

Honest thoughts?

YEAR RECORD BE RECORD BE SEED BE TRN WINS NCAA TRN SEED NCAA TRN WINS
2007 17-14 6-10 12 0 x 0
2008 25-8 13-5 4 0 4 0
2009 27-4 15-3 3 0 1 4
2010 18-16 7-11 12 0 x 0
2011 32-9 9-9 9 5 3 6
2012 20-14 8-10 9 2 9 0
2013 x 0 x 0

Total 139-65 58-48 7 10

Wait a second, wait a second. You mean to tell me we play basketball at the University of Connecticut?

Reaction Score
Florida developing an impressive recruiting class for next year.

Did you really just bump this stupid as# thread to congratulate another teams recruiting class? Go to the UF site bro!!

Reaction Score
Did you really just bump this stupid as# thread to congratulate another teams recruiting class? Go to the UF site bro!!
He is saying we're elite, since we won more championships than UF. When is Donovan going to the NBA?

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score

Why are your panties in a bunch? I still think UConn is elite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom