Are we better off sticking to the plan, or... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Are we better off sticking to the plan, or...

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
You can't do what UAB did, except at a couple of poor academic colleges. Look at their roster. There are ~52 transfers and JUCOs. In total, they have 30 R-Srs and 5 seniors. Pulling a UAB is not an option.

On to Buffalo. Sure, Leopold looks like a really good coach, but look at the roster. There are 21 transfers/JUCOs and 4 Milford Academy kids. That is not going to happen at UConn.

Other schools total number of transfers/JUCOs/Prep: Memphis 17, UMass 18, Temple 16, SMU 18, Cincinnati 14, UCF 17

UConn has maybe 4 JUCOs/transfers/preps on the roster, which is too few given the holes in the roster.

I think the right mix for UConn right now is to bring in ~5 to 8 Grad transfers/JUCOs/preps this recruiting cycle as we wait for the younger players to develop.

Why can’t that happen at UConn? It also worked for Kansas st.

Reaction Score
This is a results oriented business and the defensive results were the worst of all-time. You have to hold somebody accountable. Also, makes zero sense to keep Crocker if he's not going to be allowed to coach as he sees fit.
Unless Edsall likes the way he teaches technique. ;^)

DAC17

Once upon a time, would never miss a game
Reaction Score
Unfortunately I think we are at the point that even if season tickets were free we wouldn’t increase our base.

And, even if they were free, there's no guaranteeing people would show up.

Reaction Score
UAB is an anamoly , on the undergrad level it is a commuter community college.
Yup, further emphasizing my prior reference to UAB's pitifully low undergrad admissions standards versus a typical Level 1 trauma center's high standards, e.g., UAB's hospital, med school, etc. For UAB's gridiron recruiting, it's not too much of a stretch to believe not too many players will treat GSWs, perform brain or heart surgery, etc in UAB's hospital down the road.

Reaction Score
And half dont go cause it's a school night. And half dont go cause it's usually not a top d1 team. I would try something new. Cant hurt.
Tried the top D1 team this year.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Clearing house is governed by the NCAA not UConn. Sounds like this recruit will have an issue with every school.

No, he only has an issue with UConn. He is cleared by other schools just not up to UConn standards academically

Reaction Score
I can't believe I'm saying this. University of Buffalo, bucks all the excuses around why UConn can't be successful. 10-2 in the MAC, a worse conference, with worse facilities, decent academically and not a great recruiting area. It can be done, we just haven't had the right people here to right the ship.
The excuses are made by the fanbase because all the coaches do is make excuses and throw the kids under the bus. A good coach can turn things around anywhere. We've just hired incredibly bad ones.

Reaction Score
The easiest thing to do is just hire someone who will cheat
UConn seems like they want some sort of Ivy League image when nobody thinks they are anything like that.

Reaction Score
So how do you fix this mess? Give Randy a few more years to build up to 6-6?
As insane as it sounds it seems like a lot on the board want this. Five years of utter futility to hope for a chance at a 6-6 season in year 6. The fanbase is so browbeaten with disgustingly bad play they've completely lost it.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
As insane as it sounds it seems like a lot on the board want this. Five years of utter futility to hope for a chance at a 6-6 season in year 6. The fanbase is so browbeaten with disgustingly bad play they've completely lost it.

Where's the money coming from?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Where's the money coming from?

I said something similar in a different thread, but you either cut funding/cut non-revenue sports now, in hopes that we can get into the P5, or we cut them later when were stuck in the American for good.

A lot easier to bring back a softball or hockey program that was cut, than it is to try and compete in the American football conference with the current regime.

Reaction Score
I said something similar in a different thread, but you either cut funding/cut non-revenue sports now, in hopes that we can get into the P5, or we cut them later when were stuck in the American for good.

A lot easier to bring back a softball or hockey program that was cut, than it is to try and compete in the American football conference with the current regime.
We're spending $50 million or so on what sounds like a glorified high school hockey rink.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
We're spending $50 million or so on what sounds like a glorified high school hockey rink.

Which is just utterly insane. I get that some people are in to college sports that aren't men's hoops and football. But the majority of people don't care.

UConn joining Hockey East - in our current financial situation - was ill advised.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Baseball stays where it is - it's the flagship New England team in the men's sport directly behind football and basketball. Other than that, I'm very amenable to that idea. The question is now whether or not people in the athletic department would think to consider that.

Reaction Score
None of these good coaches you're referring to would dream of coming here for the pittance we're paying Edsall.
Edsall is terrible, if we are sticking with his 5 year plan of hoping to get to 6-6 we should get rid of the program.

Reaction Score
Hockey being in Hockey East isn’t I’ll advised. If you think that, you probably haven’t enjoyed college hockey live in the Boston area. It’s electric. The new rink on campus will likely have an outstanding atmosphere with great student involvement. Hopefully, it can help galvanize the fan base and create better attendance for other teams too. The 2500 seats isn’t that big a deal, since it is expandable. The big issue is having to commit to play at XL due to state politics and a spoiled fan base that won’t drive to Storrs. If that weren’t the case, the on campus facility would seat more. Once again, a CT economic problem negatively effecting the school by forcing it to think short term and small.

Reaction Score
Season tix going to be a disaster next year.
This is where the fans get to tell the coach, "you don't like what you see, tough sheet". I'm still appalled he talks like that but takes no personal accountability for the play we saw.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
This is where the fans get to tell the coach, "you don't like what you see, tough sheet". I'm still appalled he talks like that but takes no personal accountability for the play we saw.
I get this. I do. But when it comes to root cause - I think Diaco’s absolute dereliction of duty in recruiting was the kill shot. We are playing freshmen who aren’t ready out of pure necessity... if we had any depth they wouldn’t see the field until junior year. But we are decimated. So yah... Edsall’s recruits... but I get Edsall’s comments, and I get why they rub people the wrong way.

We’ll continue to struggle for years on this, there are no quick fixes for depth. But even giving Edsall’s plan the benefit of the doubt, assuming his kids grow and develop... I don’t see how our ceiling, even with everything going right 2 years from now, is more than 7-5. Fans will all be gone by then.

Reaction Score
I can't believe I'm saying this. University of Buffalo, bucks all the excuses around why UConn can't be successful. 10-2 in the MAC, a worse conference, with worse facilities, decent academically and not a great recruiting area. It can be done, we just haven't had the right people here to right the ship.
On campus Football Stadium...Think it matters to players and students?
Google Maps

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom