Are we better off sticking to the plan, or... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Are we better off sticking to the plan, or...

DAC17

Once upon a time, would never miss a game
Reaction Score
Going to be very interesting to see what the count is for season tickets renewals this year. As well as what incentives will be floated. 30 minute longer tailgates?? Haha.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Unless they're going to give current season ticket holders a "freebie year" in 2019, the only sections that will have people in them will be the UCMB and player families sections.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Going to be very interesting to see what the count is for season tickets renewals this year. As well as what incentives will be floated. 30 minute longer tailgates?? Haha.

30 minute shorter games??? That might work!

Reaction Score
I am thoroughly shocked that Crocker is still employed, to be completely honest. I can see Edsall staying - Benedict sounds like he's committed to a long haul rebuild with Randy. That's fine. But how the hell are we still employing Crocker after this past year?? We had the all-time worst defense in the history of this sport and we won't be playing his preferred 3-3-5 any longer.

We need to get into the $500K/yr DC pay scale at the very least. An extra $200K to 2019's football coaching budget is a small price to pay for a defense that might be able to tackle.
Not sure why you blame Crocker for not being allowed to coach as he saw fit. It’s all on Edsall, and if Edsall wants to keep him, nothing you can do about it.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
This thread makes me sad for @CTMike . UConn football has finally beaten down the most positive of us all. It's just not fair
We’ll be in big trouble if @UConnDan97 doesn’t predict an undefeated 2019 season.

But yes. The fun and joy of UConn Football is gone for me and that is indeed sad. I will pick spots for a few games next year but I won’t be able to convince anyone to pay full freight for season tix.

I know we aren’t shutting down football even for a bit (yet), and I know we aren’t canning Edsall. He can probably get us to be mediocre with enough time, though he hasn’t shown one bit that he can recruit for the AAC like he could for the Big East. We aren’t convincing kids to come play here - yes he’s the coach and bears responsibility but frankly a generation of suck and bad decisions has done us in moreso. We will not improve fast enough while waiting for frosh and sophs to turn in to juniors and seniors. We need that depth to compete.

Meanwhile the last breaths of the program are being squeezed out of us. Season tix will fall further. If the D improves next year, maybe what, bottom third of D1? We are breaking in a new QB. We’ll still sorely lack depth. The negativity will continue and drumbeat to drop football entirely will get louder. Not sure how we pull out of the death spiral.

Reaction Score
I've watched a few of their games this year. They play loose, they play reckless, they play football...sometimes sloppy, but it looks like fun and the guys are playing hard.

You mean like the UConn men are playing now?
I'd say hire Leipold, except he's probably waiting for the next P6 opening with upside.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We’ll be in big trouble if @UConnDan97 doesn’t predict an undefeated 2019 season.

But yes. The fun and joy of UConn Football is gone for me and that is indeed sad. I will pick spots for a few games next year but I won’t be able to convince anyone to pay full freight for season tix.

I know we aren’t shutting down football even for a bit (yet), and I know we aren’t canning Edsall. He can probably get us to be mediocre with enough time, though he hasn’t shown one bit that he can recruit for the AAC like he could for the Big East. We aren’t convincing kids to come play here - yes he’s the coach and bears responsibility but frankly a generation of suck and bad decisions has done us in moreso. We will not improve fast enough while waiting for frosh and sophs to turn in to juniors and seniors. We need that depth to compete.

Meanwhile the last breaths of the program are being squeezed out of us. Season tix will fall further. If the D improves next year, maybe what, bottom third of D1? We are breaking in a new QB. We’ll still sorely lack depth. The negativity will continue and drumbeat to drop football entirely will get louder. Not sure how we pull out of the death spiral.
Quick, someone get this man a double vodka something and a rosy spring practice report on our QB situation stat - we're losing him!

Reaction Score
haha I'm pretty sure prep schools have different academic requirements for PG's (post grads).
A lot of them do not even accept PG's. Either come for at least two years or not at all.

Full disclosure, my kids went to an academically rigorous school that competes with AOF only in some sports (and FB is not one of them). But one of their alums recently scored two touchdowns against the Huskies.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
A lot of them do not even accept PG's. Either come for at least two years or not at all.

Full disclosure, my kids went to an academically rigorous school that competes with AOF only in some sports.
the two scenarios I've seen most frequently from my playing and coaching experiences is that kids will go public for 1 year then prep and begin again as a freshman or go public for 3 years then repeat junior year at prep and stay for two years.

Reaction Score
the two scenarios I've seen most frequently from my playing and coaching experiences is that kids will go public for 1 year then prep and begin again as a freshman or go public for 3 years then repeat junior year at prep and stay for two years.
Yup, you are right on target.

Reaction Score
The look at Buffalo is merely to point out that a cold weather school with little football history can succeed from time to time. Buffalo is 43-53 vs 28-69 for UConn since Edsall 1.0 left us. Yeah, the Buffalo talk is all about their current momentum.

It'd be interesting to know how Buffalo handles admission standards because I recall their academic reputation has always been very good and it would seem they would have to live with state system requirements.

Too many people here are making statements that imply JUCO and prep school kids aren't able to do the academic work. Do I have to be the first to say there are many young people who don't apply themselves early on in their lives and have to overcome various deficiencies with junior college or prep school offering that opportunity? I can relate well to that although I didn't have to go JC or prep back in the old days at UConn.

Reaction Score
It'd be interesting to know how Buffalo handles admission standards because I recall their academic reputation has always been very good and it would seem they would have to live with state system requirements.

Too many people here are making statements that imply JUCO and prep school kids aren't able to do the academic work. Do I have to be the first to say there are many young people who don't apply themselves early on in their lives and have to overcome various deficiencies with junior college or prep school offering that opportunity? I can relate well to that although I didn't have to go JC or prep back in the old days at UConn.
Most preps have much higher academic standards than the publics. But there are prep jock factories, particularly the ones who accept PG's and have big reputations for turning out D-1 athletes, that are in a different class. Important to make that distinction. And yes, I buy into the late bloomer scenario. Even in college.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Not sure why you blame Crocker for not being allowed to coach as he saw fit. It’s all on Edsall, and if Edsall wants to keep him, nothing you can do about it.

This is a results oriented business and the defensive results were the worst of all-time. You have to hold somebody accountable. Also, makes zero sense to keep Crocker if he's not going to be allowed to coach as he sees fit.

Reaction Score
Not starting another one of these just to rile people up... believe me I would have faught someone for suggesting it. But we are where we are and incremental changes are not going to pull us out of this death spiral.

Do we fix things faster if we pull a UAB - shut it down, clean house from AD on down, and see about rebooting it in two years? Edsall’s plan will admittedly take years to execute... to reach what sort of up side? Would we be any worse off?

Our PLAN for this decade was 5 head coaches and countless coordinators and position coaches. We sprinkled in 3 ADs and recruiting that would make Holy Cross proud. No kid had the same coordinator or position coach for more than 2 years - other than those who were treated to the styles of GDL. Yes, let's change the plan again; that has worked well for us. It'll definitely be different this time!

Reaction Score
Not starting another one of these just to rile people up... believe me I would have faught someone for suggesting it. But we are where we are and incremental changes are not going to pull us out of this death spiral.

Do we fix things faster if we pull a UAB - shut it down, clean house from AD on down, and see about rebooting it in two years? Edsall’s plan will admittedly take years to execute... to reach what sort of up side? Would we be any worse off?
No.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Season tix going to be a disaster next year.
They need to think outside the box here and not sure if doable but...

1. All season tix holders get first opportunity to all other Rent events before general public. Need to book more Rent events. Large concerts. Soccer. Other. Timberlake July 2019.
2. Have a concert after a game. Not Justin Timberlake but like Kool and the Gang or something.
3. Move the labor day weekend from thirsday to Friday and involve fireworks after game.
4. Give tickets away to local youth groups - build the relationship. We have plenty to give.
5. Charge more for tix not for season tix.

Reaction Score
3. Move the labor day weekend from thirsday to Friday and involve fireworks after game.
Half of CT goes to the shore or to the mountains on Labor Day weekend Friday night.

Reaction Score
The line from the movie Argo keeps coming back to me-“there are only bad ideas-it’s about choosing the best one.” I think that means Randy right now but I have to think there are ‘better bad ideas’ if the team gets blown out in the first two games next year.

Reaction Score
And yes, give away tickets early on. More butts on cement are far more important than counting the losses from a 12k gate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom