Are we better off sticking to the plan, or... | The Boneyard

Are we better off sticking to the plan, or...

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Not starting another one of these just to rile people up... believe me I would have faught someone for suggesting it. But we are where we are and incremental changes are not going to pull us out of this death spiral.

Do we fix things faster if we pull a UAB - shut it down, clean house from AD on down, and see about rebooting it in two years? Edsall’s plan will admittedly take years to execute... to reach what sort of up side? Would we be any worse off?

Reaction Score
Not starting another one of these just to rile people up... believe me I would have faught someone for suggesting it. But we are where we are and incremental changes are not going to pull us out of this death spiral.

Do we fix things faster if we pull a UAB - shut it down, clean house from AD on down, and see about rebooting it in two years? Edsall’s plan will admittedly take years to execute... to reach what sort of up side? Would we be any worse off?

Just when you can't think comments (ideas) on this board can't get any worse. See above.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The UAB model would work in Florida, Georgia, Texas, California, Ohio, or perhaps some of the Deep South states. I would be shocked if a program from outside that area were able to achieve similar success after doing so.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
If the AD doesn’t have the guts to can everyone, then yes, I think playing this poorly does more harm than good.

Reaction Score
I can't believe I'm saying this. University of Buffalo, bucks all the excuses around why UConn can't be successful. 10-2 in the MAC, a worse conference, with worse facilities, decent academically and not a great recruiting area. It can be done, we just haven't had the right people here to right the ship.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Well at least we can give credit to @CTMike for not starting another Akok thread.:p

Randy should look at Buffalo and do whatever they are doing. Start by offering everyone they offer.
I can't believe I'm saying this. University of Buffalo, bucks all the excuses around why UConn can't be successful. 10-2 in the MAC, a worse conference, with worse facilities, decent academically and not a great recruiting area. It can be done, we just haven't had the right people here to right the ship.

How much of that is unique to Lance Leipold though? Guy genuinely seems like a generational coach.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

I've watched a few of their games this year. They play loose, they play reckless, they play football...sometimes sloppy, but it looks like fun and the guys are playing hard.

Reaction Score
The plan has only three more years to run so let's see what happens. If it is a failure in three years, then we can shut it down for a couple years.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Just when you can't think comments (ideas) on this board can't get any worse. See above.
So how do you fix this mess? Give Randy a few more years to build up to 6-6?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
How much of that is unique to Lance Leipold though? Guy genuinely seems like a generational coach.
Dunno - lets see if he can do it again next year. He should be a hot name after next season. On the recruiting trail they seem to be carrying some momentum.

Reaction Score
Dunno - lets see if he can do it again next year. He should be a hot name after next season. On the recruiting trail they seem to be carrying some momentum.

This... its his 4th year. He went 5-6, 2-10, 6-6 before hitting Yahtze this year. Guy can clearly coach based on his D3 record.

What do you think the reaction on here would have been if we hired a D3 coach after PP.? There are quality coaches out there - people keep looking for a sizzle/statement hire. (That wasn’t directed @ @Exit 4 )

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
My entire existence on this board is an attempt to make @CTMike feel better about himself, so here goes nothing:

I really do believe that this team is built for 2020. I think that we are going to see a performance in 2020 that will likely lead to us bowling. Edsall's plan seems to be to take a bunch of lumps this year and next in order to accomplish it. That's evidenced by how many RSJrs are leaving the program, among other things.

Is 2019 going to be painful again?? Umm....give me a few months to power up so that I can be more cheerful. But in 2020, when a bunch of this current 2-deep are Jrs and Srs, it's going to have a much different feel. I'm confident of that. But man, next year though...

Reaction Score
I just want the next hire to be an offensive guy.

On the OP. Ride this out. He irritates me because he is the absolute worst coach I have ever seen speak to his fan base through the media, but Edsall has shown he can do it here. The one concerning thing is his comments put EVERYTHING on the players. He needs to be as critical of the production of the defensive assistants as well.

I really want to see what this looks like next year. John Silver nailed it in his newsletter this morning. 1-11, has happened to programs before. It is the total ineptness we saw and zero sign of improvement all season that is really concerning. We literally had zero chance in hell of winning any game this year. Lucky to beat a .500 fcs team to be honest.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Fix the clearhouse so we are on the same page as other schools when it comes to securing players to compete.
The only way we can fix this issue without firing a coaching staff. UConn is at a disadvantage and should be on level playing field when it comes to this

Reaction Score
You can't do what UAB did, except at a couple of poor academic colleges. Look at their roster. There are ~52 transfers and JUCOs. In total, they have 30 R-Srs and 5 seniors. Pulling a UAB is not an option.

On to Buffalo. Sure, Leopold looks like a really good coach, but look at the roster. There are 21 transfers/JUCOs and 4 Milford Academy kids. That is not going to happen at UConn.

Other schools total number of transfers/JUCOs/Prep: Memphis 17, UMass 18, Temple 16, SMU 18, Cincinnati 14, UCF 17

UConn has maybe 4 JUCOs/transfers/preps on the roster, which is too few given the holes in the roster.

I think the right mix for UConn right now is to bring in ~5 to 8 Grad transfers/JUCOs/preps this recruiting cycle as we wait for the younger players to develop.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Fix the clearhouse so we are on the same page as other schools when it comes to securing players to compete.
The only way we can fix this issue without firing a coaching staff. UConn is at a disadvantage and should be on level playing field when it comes to this

Maybe a hot take, but I think the whole admissions standards thing doesn’t actually exist and is just a convenient excuse. We’re not Stanford lol and I’ve seen plenty of basketball and football players at UConn who aren’t exactly scholars

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Maybe a hot take, but I think the whole admissions standards thing doesn’t actually exist and is just a convenient excuse. We’re not Stanford lol and I’ve seen plenty of basketball and football players at UConn who aren’t exactly scholars

Just been told that some players we have looked at won't pass the clearing house but other school already accepted them. Just bothers me in hearing it.

Reaction Score
UAB didn’t solve their problems because they shut down, they solved them by hiring a good coach and getting admissions to play ball too.
"play ball", eh? Looking askance at pitifully low, anyone's admitted academic standards is reasonable, e.g., Louserville CC, Memphis JC, and Houston High, but UAB doesn't even need to "play ball". Almost anyone with even the weakest of a pulse is admitted. Not to UAB Hospital's Level 1 trauma center, but to the undergrad school. Yup, football players included! ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom