Are we better off sticking to the plan, or... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Are we better off sticking to the plan, or...

Reaction Score
Maybe a hot take, but I think the whole admissions standards thing doesn’t actually exist and is just a convenient excuse. We’re not Stanford lol and I’ve seen plenty of basketball and football players at UConn who aren’t exactly scholars

You’re wrong... but I’m not getting into names. I do know factually of more than one kid who held a committable tentative offer and couldn’t get into UConn and was accepted @ a “peer” school (peer from a football/geographic perspective). This happened within the last 7 years (a few older/one newer).

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
You’re wrong... but I’m not getting into names. I do know factually of more than one kid who held a committable tentative offer and couldn’t get into UConn and was accepted @ a “peer” school (peer from a football/geographic perspective). This happened within the last 7 years (a few older/one newer).
Does basketball face the same issue? I would guess no, but I'm not sure.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

Fair enough. Part of it is that I’m just pissed at RE’s schtick. I also don’t think this rule is as strictly applied for basketball...there’s no way it could be if we want to be competitive

crazyUCfan23

Reaction Score
I imagine it does @ some percentage but I can only speak to football and baseball on personal knowledge.

We need to stay “friends” with the Lackawannas and Prep schools of the world.
the only other thing I'm gonna say is in regards to academics and athletes at uconn, is that I took Bio 1100 over the summer summer 2013. There were only 45 kids in a large lecture hall and only like 3-5 people (including myself) were non D1-athletes (men's and women's basketball, football, volleyball). The class finished the summer session with about 20. That many people took W's LOL

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Fair enough. Part of it is that I’m just pissed at RE’s schtick. I also don’t think this rule is as strictly applied for basketball...there’s no way it could be if we want to be competitive

With a smaller roster, it shouldn't matter as much, no?

DAC17

Once upon a time, would never miss a game
Reaction Score
Does the fact that the "always in the mix" ridiculous CT Ethics Board is still pursuing the hiring of Edsall's son tell you anything about the overall culture that we're dealing with here? The deck is stacked against football (and top D1 competition, for that matter) from the top down. You think this would happen in a state that has good football teams??

As in most areas, we can't get out of our own way.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I am thoroughly shocked that Crocker is still employed, to be completely honest. I can see Edsall staying - Benedict sounds like he's committed to a long haul rebuild with Randy. That's fine. But how the hell are we still employing Crocker after this past year?? We had the all-time worst defense in the history of this sport and we won't be playing his preferred 3-3-5 any longer.

We need to get into the $500K/yr DC pay scale at the very least. An extra $200K to 2019's football coaching budget is a small price to pay for a defense that might be able to tackle.

Reaction Score
I also don’t think this rule is as strictly applied for basketball
Perhaps, but hoops also only offers the potential to apply similar standards to roughly 15% of a maximum gridiron scholarship roster (13 vs 85 max total). That said, IIRC JC previously referenced admissions challenges resulting in moving on from potential recruiting targets.

Reaction Score
Maybe a hot take, but I think the whole admissions standards thing doesn’t actually exist and is just a convenient excuse. We’re not Stanford lol and I’ve seen plenty of basketball and football players at UConn who aren’t exactly scholars

Many of the higher rated academic institutions understand that there will always be top athletes who will not qualify for enrollment in their schools. Most of them Stanford, Duke, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, ND, will use their academic repution as a selling point for the top athletes who are also good students. It works especially well with the athlete’s mothers.

Reaction Score
A good topic for its own thread. Are UConn's academic standards an impediment to the FB program? There WAS a high profile kid who wanted to come here awhile back but they could not get him in. He was a star at Temple. How many more like that have we given up on?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
A good topic for its own thread. Are UConn's academic standards an impediment to the FB program? There WAS a high profile kid who wanted to come here awhile back but they could not get him in. He was a star at Temple. How many more like that have we given up on?

Are you referring to Matakevich or Marchi? If the latter, these aren't star numbers: Logan Marchi

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Here is the problem with looking at Buffalo. They sucked for ever from Turner Gill's 2 good years until Leipold got there.

The academic problem was asservated by becoming a member of the AAC where the only academic peer is Tulane. And look how their athletics have done. Notre Dame sucked for years until they lowered the standards and now they are in the mix. Vandy has never been able to compete in the SEC and Virginia has had a rough time in the ACC for years.

Every program has a down turn unless they cheat well. The key is how quickly do they recover. Pasqualoni and Diaco were program killers. Randy has a 5 year plan because its UConn and conference realignment matches up with year 6 and 7!!

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Not starting another one of these just to rile people up... believe me I would have faught someone for suggesting it. But we are where we are and incremental changes are not going to pull us out of this death spiral.

Do we fix things faster if we pull a UAB - shut it down, clean house from AD on down, and see about rebooting it in two years? Edsall’s plan will admittedly take years to execute... to reach what sort of up side? Would we be any worse off?

I am sure the AAC would just love this idea!!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The look at Buffalo is merely to point out that a cold weather school with little football history can succeed from time to time. Buffalo is 43-53 vs 28-69 for UConn since Edsall 1.0 left us. Yeah, the Buffalo talk is all about their current momentum.

Reaction Score
"play ball", eh? Looking askance at pitifully low, anyone's admitted academic standards is reasonable, e.g., Louserville CC, Memphis JC, and Houston High, but UAB doesn't even need to "play ball". Almost anyone with even the weakest of a pulse is admitted. Not to UAB Hospital's Level 1 trauma center, but to the undergrad school. Yup, football players included! ;)

UAB is an anamoly , on the undergrad level it is a commuter community college. The graduate level, including the med school is a research powerhouse which will do 500million of sponsored research this year. As the primary public university in CT UConn must never compromise undergraduate education.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
I know that UConn has a JUCO that wants to commit right now and can't because of the clearinghouse.

This has to change. I am not saying take anyone, but make the standards a little more competitive
Clearing house is governed by the NCAA not UConn. Sounds like this recruit will have an issue with every school.

crazyUCfan23

Reaction Score
Clearing house is governed by the NCAA not UConn. Sounds like this recruit will have an issue with every school.
I know for a fact that Sean McQuillan couldn't pass clearinghouse after high school, which is why he went to AOF for a semester or a year, can't remember. But the inability to pass clearing house after high school is why kids tend to PG and/or go to JUCO.

Reaction Score
I know for a fact that Sean McQuillan couldn't pass clearinghouse after high school, which is why he went to AOF for a semester or a year, can't remember. But the inability to pass clearing house after high school is why kids tend to PG and/or go to JUCO.
Yeah, and AOF is the perfect place for them. ;)

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Buffalo is an excellent example of what UConn could/should be.

Buffalo is an AAU university stuck in a mediocre academic conference who recruits the same 2 star under-recruited kids from the same geographic territories that we do.

I would gleefully renew my tickets after the last 2 years if someone guaranteed me that UConn would be 10-2 in 2020 (same timeline as Buffalo's 2018 trajectory). But nobody at UConn can or will. Instead, we get excuse after excuse and 5-year rebuild plans that start today...forgetting about the last 8+ years of mediocre-to-God awful football that we've already been force fed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom