April Transfer thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

April Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not sure those are the best examples to use. Shepard's prior coach was fired (purportedly for being abusive), which is a classic transfer situation (and the reason for the waiver, we assume). Romero was an international student and I can't imagine Kansas was the easiest place to move to from Spain, and like Shepard, the coach who recruited her was also fired at the end of her frosh season. Thompson sat out her senior season at Stanford for a year and then grad transferred, but she played three full seasons for Stanford and sat out a year w/o a waiver.

And in any case, it seems pretty indisputable the volume of transfer portal activity has risen enormously in the past few seasons.
The controversy behind Shepard 's waiver was because Shepard stayed at Nebraska for another season after Connie Yori was fired and she left after that season to apply for the waiver. It wasn't a classic transfer situation at all.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
The controversy behind Shepard 's waiver was because Shepard stayed at Nebraska for another season after Connie Yori was fired and she left after that season to apply for the waiver. It wasn't a classic transfer situation at all.
So what you're saying is, Shepard did what Arike said, looked in the mirror, worked harder, and tried to stick it out a year even after a bad experience with the prior coach, and decided it still wasn't working. I'm not sure whose point you're proving because I don't think anyone thinks Shepard left after one year because she wasn't getting enough playing time, used in the role she wanted, etc.

Reaction Score
So what you're saying is, Shepard did what Arike said, looked in the mirror, worked harder, and tried to stick it out a year even after a bad experience with the prior coach, and decided it still wasn't working. I'm not sure whose point you're proving because I don't think anyone thinks Shepard left after one year because she wasn't getting enough playing time, used in the role she wanted, etc.
My point still remains is that previous class are the ones who opened the floodgates and you can cherry pick the reasons why each player left. Shepard in her own words as to why she left Nebraska:
"I wanted to go to a place where I can develop into the player I want to be and compete for championships".

If she received a waiver for those reasons, then why shouldn't other players do the same for arbitrary reasons. The majority of waivers before the Shepard waiver were hardship ones. After that, the NCAA began granting and refusing waivers for arbitrary reasons.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
My point still remains is that previous class are the ones who opened the floodgates and you can cherry pick the reasons why each player left. Shepard in her own words as to why she left Nebraska:
"I wanted to go to a place where I can develop into the player I want to be and compete for championships".

If she received a waiver for those reasons, then why shouldn't other players do the same for arbitrary reasons. The majority of waivers before the Shepard waiver were hardship ones. After that, the NCAA began granting and refusing waivers for arbitrary reasons.
Don't disagree with you at all. I don't mind that Shepard got a waiver, it's just mind boggling that Evina did not.

And while I'm glad Evina was forced to sit a year and get her surgeries done, unless Shepard's coach molested her (and I'm NOT suggesting in the least that she did), then it was NOT worse than what Evina endured at Tennessee. Point being - to grant a hardship waiver to Jessica, but not to Evina, was just so wrong.

Reaction Score
Guessing Chavez is a grad transfer since it's awfully rare for a junior to transfer as an undergrad. She would be a very good pickup for an established team. She thrived on both ends playing with Ionescu and Co. but struggled this year taking on more of a leadership position. Not necessarily an established team, but I wouldn't be shocked to see her end up in Tucson since she's from there, plays great defense and they could use her shooting.
Chavez who might have visited Baylor on one of her official visits back when she was in high school, wouldn’t be a bad pick up for them. They already have Andrews, and Owens, but will be adding volume shooters in Carr and McDaniel none of the guards are proven shooters. Smith would probably appreciate a player who can get her the ball, and knock down a consistent 3pointer. If Chavez is thinking about going pro, she could probably get drafted playing one year Under Kim, similar to how Jackson improve her draft stock.

Reaction Score
Could have predicted Shelley but Chavez is a surprise. I tried many potential combos for next season but none came up with a major role for either. As of now Ducks lose 4 of this years 13 with 2 coming in. Need more depth at point. To me these two transfers Indicate an assumption that all five frosh will stick.
I think both under performed this year compared to the expectations going into the year. Both were given chances to earn more playing time but plateaued. Graves has a chance to upgrade from here. I wish both of them well.

Reaction Score
Chavez who might have visited Baylor on one of her official visits back when she was in high school, wouldn’t be a bad pick up for them. They already have Andrews, and Owens, but will be adding volume shooters in Carr and McDaniel none of the guards are proven shooters. Smith would probably appreciate a player who can get her the ball, and knock down a consistent 3pointer. If Chavez is thinking about going pro, she could probably get drafted playing one year Under Kim, similar to how Jackson improve her draft stock.
I figured Carr would play at the point or McDaniel, with the other one being the off guard. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows how Baylor would plan to use them

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score

There was a lot more to the Shepard situation at Nebraska...

I seem to also remember the NCAA saying due to a shortage of players at Notre Dame was just one reason her waiver was granted.

Reaction Score
There was a lot more to the Shepard situation at Nebraska...

I seem to also remember the NCAA saying due to a shortage of players at Notre Dame was just one reason her waiver was granted.

Her waiver was originally denied. Don’t think it being them granted after the appeal had anything to do with the team being short handed. And no, I’m not one of those fans complaining or questioning her approval

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Natalie Romeo left Nebraska immediately after the coaching change and was ruled eligible to play the next season for Washington. Chandler Smith left at the same time, but had to sit out a year after transferring to Gonzaga. Romeo and Shepard obviously came up w/ better stories to sell to the NCAA than Smith did. They were all part of the same situation though, right?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Texas loses another. Not sure she has the lateral quickness that Vic prefers, but she had some really good games from beyond the arc. And, she is a very underrated passer. Good luck to her.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Texas loses another. Not sure she has the lateral quickness that Vic prefers, but she had some really good games from beyond the arc. And, she is a very underrated passer. Good luck to her.

Your comment about "lateral quickness" is interesting. I never quite understood why she bolted Penn State with Carolyn Kieger -- who favors an up-tempo style of play -- coming aboard. Maybe there were concerns about her being suitable for that style of ball?

The next school will the third stop fo Ortiz. I wonder if she'll work her way back to the West Coast. She's a high-school teammate of one Haley Jones.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Your comment about "lateral quickness" is interesting. I never quite understood why she bolted Penn State with Carolyn Kieger -- who favors an up-tempo style of play -- coming aboard. Maybe there were concerns about her being suitable for that style of ball?

The next school will the third stop fo Ortiz. I wonder if she'll work her way back to the West Coast. She's a high-school teammate of one Haley Jones.
I would think UCLA, USC, or Berkeley might be her final destination.

Reaction Score
Interestingly, you may already be aware of this, Joy Smith (née Cheek) was an Assistant Coach at tOSU when Kiara was being recruited but left for Vandy in May 2016 and is now at Clemson.
Wait OtSU , Vandy , Syracuse and now Clemson ? Really ?

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Wait OtSU , Vandy , Syracuse and now Clemson ? Really ?
Joy Smith was an AC at tOSU, Vandy, and now is at Clemson.
Kiara Lewis played at tOSU, then Syracuse, and now is at Clemson.

My wording was a bit confusing. Sorry.

Reaction Score
Lol I guess we gonna play 4 bigs and Pointer.
She does believe in rebounding... She is better scorer than the Vanderbilt transfer but probably not as great of a fit defensively than Newby

Bad look for the Alabama coach with the attrition they are having of multiple starters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul