April Transfer thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

April Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
NC State forward Elle Sutphin has transferred to Davidson.

@triaddukefan and I had a little give and take that Ms. Sutphin might consider either High Point (his thought) or Wake Forest (mine). So, she chose to go a bit further south to just outside Charlotte.

On the positive side, triad reminded me of a barbecue place in Winston-Salem (that he had gone to!) and listed a few more in his stomping grounds. All good with Sutphin and stomachs! :D?

Reaction Score
I love how almost all of the stats are rebounding. Fitting that there are no offensive stats:D
Literally with all the kids in the portal.... and this is the best we can do. Smh

it’s over for her, just have to wait 1 more year.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
A lot of the folks that enter the portal already have a 'preferred' location in mind - friend, second recruiting choice, hometown, former coach, whatever. They aren't allowed to communicate with other coaches until they enter, but as soon as contact is made it is a done deal.
And, this season, I don't believe they get the luxury of any free official visits like in years past. So, nothing to gain by dragging it out if you found your match sooner rather than later.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Could this one be heading to Starkville for reunion with Nikki?

Reaction Score
If I was a recruit I would be weary of committing to Louisville. What is his selling point? I dont believe he cares about the development of his players over the course of 4 years. He has been recruiting over his own players every year, but now he has been getting transfers in too. It seems like you're an asset until he takes you out like the trash. I would not want to play for him.

Reaction Score
If I was a recruit I would be weary of committing to Louisville. What is his selling point? I dont believe he cares about the development of his players over the course of 4 years. He has been recruiting over his own players every year, but now he has been getting transfers in too. It seems like you're an asset until he takes you out like the trash. I would not want to play for him.
I’ve had the same thought. Waltz is a good coach but is one of the first women’s coaches I’ve observed who truly appears to think of their players as disposable in the sense he’s almost looking for a year to year combination rather than an investment over the period of a recruits career.

Reaction Score
I think he just offers everyone possible no matter what his roster looks like. So in case one doesn’t commit, he offered two more. At least one will commit.

Reaction Score
I’ve had the same thought. Waltz is a good coach but is one of the first women’s coaches I’ve observed who truly appears to think of their players as disposable in the sense he’s almost looking for a year to year combination rather than an investment over the period of a recruits career.
I thought that as well (and of Maryland) but to be fair Dana Evans was there for all 4 years and Mykasa Robinson looks to do the same. It's likely Hailey Van Lith and Olivia Cochran as well as Norika Konno will stay all 4 as well. Kylee Shook, Jazmine Jones, and Bionca Dunham come to mind as others who were there for the duration.

Reaction Score
I think he just offers everyone possible no matter what his roster looks like. So in case one doesn’t commit, he offered two more. At least one will commit.
I think he, along with a few other programs, seem to use that approach every year......always looking to upgrade.

Reaction Score
To his credit he and his staff seem to ID great players pretty early and offer way before other schools. Might not matter for everyone but I’m sure it strikes a chord with a few really good prospects.

Reaction Score
I thought that as well (and of Maryland) but to be fair Dana Evans was there for all 4 years and Mykasa Robinson looks to do the same. It's likely Hailey Van Lith and Olivia Cochran as well as Norika Konno will stay all 4 as well. Kylee Shook, Jazmine Jones, and Bionca Dunham come to mind as others who were there for the duration.

I see them as different. UL loses more bench players but they offer and bring in big class annually. MD has lost starters but they don't seem to be as aggressive with the offers or huge rosters. I think one main difference is Louisville loses players they don't need and maybe nudged out but Maryland lost players they probably wanted but at least then you know they aren't running them off. UL brings in transfers to put them over the top, MD's moves seem to be more reactionary to losing players, like say bringing in Styles after losing Austin.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think pretty much every coach takes whatever talent they can get their hands on. Waltz was making do with a lot of good mid-ranked recruits, he had some success and got a few high ranked players, but he still seems to be mentally stuck in that 'scattershot' mid-level mentality. But look at Tara's roster, or Kim, or SC they are not afraid to recruit 'over' a player already on the team, or grab a transfer or two on top of their own recruits.

I guess Waltz does stand out as being less selective in his recruiting than most of the coaches at his level of success, but what coach isn't going to accept Hailey Van Lith even though he has another PG on his roster already?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I think pretty much every coach takes whatever talent they can get their hands on. Waltz was making do with a lot of good mid-ranked recruits, he had some success and got a few high ranked players, but he still seems to be mentally stuck in that 'scattershot' mid-level mentality. But look at Tara's roster, or Kim, or SC they are not afraid to recruit 'over' a player already on the team, or grab a transfer or two on top of their own recruits.

I guess Waltz does stand out as being less selective in his recruiting than most of the coaches at his level of success, but what coach isn't going to accept Hailey Van Lith even though he has another PG on his roster already?
It happens more than folks realize, I think. It depends on the quality you can get. Some would say that Arizona has recruited over players during the last few years. But the truth is, if you have a solid "B" level player and an "A" level player comes along and is interested - why wouldn't you want the "A" player. Semaj Smith played a lot for Arizona last year, this year not so much. A couple other players got some minutes last season, almost none this year. But Arizona had Baptiste, Yeaney and Pellington as transfers and they got minutes that "recruits" and returnees didn't. Plus Ware was available full season, in the future it is expected she will begin the WBB season playing Volleyball.

What I'm trying to say is circumstances happen. I don't think Jeff (or Adia) recruited anyone that they didn't expect to have a role on the team, but that role ends up changing for some players.

Reaction Score

I would say Dawn has done very little recruiting over incumbent starters.

It's actually pretty darn hard for a starter to lose a job in Dawn's program even if they lose a lot of minutes.

Davis and Gray replaced graduating seniors. Jennings stepped in for Coates after Jatarie White transferred.

Then you had Littleton, Spann, and the Clemson transfer whose name I can't quite (Ed. Nelly Perry!) come up with who were mostly added for depth.

I'd guess that South Carolina will sit out transfer season, but a bold move would be to try and find a wing shooter that could play near starter minutes.

I kind of doubt that she'd want to introduce that element of chaos to a delicate playing time situation as it is.

You probably don't want any of those freshmen only getting garbage minutes. And you've got two incumbent starters that you don't want to lose their heads.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
She got playing time during the B1G tournament and acquitted herself pretty well, if memory serves.
Seems to be a logjam at her position at MSU and she probably sees a chance at (a lot of) court time at Illinois.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom