April Transfer thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

April Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Great pickup for Vic, Matharu is streaky but a very potent scorer. Should help replace Taylor.
Sigh. 5’6” instead of 5’11”. And the Horns other primary guards are 5’6” to 5’8”. Possibly Gaston or incoming A Moore can guard well enough to play more on the perimeter. A fan can hope.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Sigh. 5’6” instead of 5’11”. And the Horns other primary guards are 5’6” to 5’8”. Possibly Gaston or incoming A Moore can guard well enough to play more on the perimeter. A fan can hope.
Vic nearly won a title with 3 guards all 5-1 to 5-7ish. I think Matharu will provide some offensive punch that was missing this year.

Reaction Score
She didn’t really have a chance to show her full potential. In a starting role with good minutes Matharu will flourish

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Does she want to be apart_from_greatness or a_part_of_greatness?
Either way, I hope they catch it in time at the tattoo parlor.

Wow, that class of 2017 - Walker, Coombs, Espinoza-Hunter, Gordon - always on the move. They should combine to do their own "Best Colleges" rankings.

Reaction Score
Hearing Baylor in the portal again , people are referencing them as Grad PGU now LOL

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
And she's not alone!

Guessing Chavez is a grad transfer since it's awfully rare for a junior to transfer as an undergrad. She would be a very good pickup for an established team. She thrived on both ends playing with Ionescu and Co. but struggled this year taking on more of a leadership position. Not necessarily an established team, but I wouldn't be shocked to see her end up in Tucson since she's from there, plays great defense and they could use her shooting.

Reaction Score
Malea Williams leaving Louisville. She was a late add from Scott County Kentucky . She was originally going to redshirt but ended up playing. She played very little. She's 6-4 and thin, so needs work in the weight room, but did display a nice shooting touch on limited attempts. She'll be a nice add for someone. Could be a player in a couple years.

Reaction Score
Could have predicted Shelley but Chavez is a surprise. I tried many potential combos for next season but none came up with a major role for either. As of now Ducks lose 4 of this years 13 with 2 coming in. Need more depth at point. To me these two transfers Indicate an assumption that all five frosh will stick.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know she's no one's favorite around these parts, but this thread is reminding me that even a broken clock is right twice a day:

Ironic for her to say given that it was the kids of her era like Jess Shepard, Leticia Romero, and Lili Thompson that got the ball rolling with apply for waivers immediate eligibility and grad transfers.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Ironic for her to say given that it was the kids of her era like Jess Shepard, Leticia Romero, and Lili Thompson that got the ball rolling with apply for waivers immediate eligibility and grad transfers.
Not sure those are the best examples to use. Shepard's prior coach was fired (purportedly for being abusive), which is a classic transfer situation (and the reason for the waiver, we assume). Romero was an international student and I can't imagine Kansas was the easiest place to move to from Spain, and like Shepard, the coach who recruited her was also fired at the end of her frosh season. Thompson sat out her senior season at Stanford for a year and then grad transferred, but she played three full seasons for Stanford and sat out a year w/o a waiver.

And in any case, it seems pretty indisputable the volume of transfer portal activity has risen enormously in the past few seasons.

Reaction Score
Maybe. I didn't take it that way.

I see it as an a different perspective from that same era/generation that provides some balance versus being lumped into the group of players you've listed.

Reaction Score
Massive get for Barnes:

Woahhhh Zona is not playing. I forget Mcdonald , Baptiste are both leaving so they have major major whole's to fill.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just thought a few numbers would put the transfer madness in a little context:
2020 transfers 490, of which 19% were grad transfers (94)
2021 transfers 813, of which 32% are grad transfers (262)

Increase in transfers = 323 or 66%
increase in non-grad transfers = 155 or 39% increase
increase in grad transfers - 168 or 179% increase

Still more transfers to come I am sure, but certainly shows that the 5th year of eligibility offered this year is having a significant impact on the raw numbers - 179% increase in grad transfers compared to 'only' a 39% increase in pre-grad transfers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom