April Transfer thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

April Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
You can’t prove anything in one year. And the players have to want to play for you and buy into your system. She didn’t recruit most of those players from the past season. And she didn’t do that bad. I could see if she won one or two games and lost every other game. And also, Miss St doesn’t have some storied history like Tenn or UConn. Every new coach at those kind of programs will have to win. Miss St is a recency school that has only won a few things recently. Whether they win or lose in a few years it might not matter because it’s a football school. So imo it really doesn’t matter. Give her a chance. Gohlee. And worry getting rid of the other Tenn Alum in Baton Rouge first.

Mississippi State is a football school?

LSU has lots of successful sports, they're not concerned about women's basketball apart from a couple of ardent fans. Besides.... Fargas hasn't been atrocious, just mediocre. Maybe Fargas still isn't fired because she made 2 out of 3 Sweet Sixteens her first 3 years, and posted 2 out of 3 winning seasons in the SEC. Different ground rules, girl.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Sigh. 5’6” instead of 5’11”. And the Horns other primary guards are 5’6” to 5’8”. Possibly Gaston or incoming A Moore can guard well enough to play more on the perimeter. A fan can hope.

I think 5'6" is generous. When I saw her, she looked more like 5'4". I'm pretty sure 5'7" isn't even close. But she's quick and good. Think Lauren Park-Lane.

Reaction Score
Sure, but folks had Miss St dead and buried between NMP and the transfers . At least they are getting a few good players.

I might not be up to date on Miss State transfers, but last I checked they still had Taylor, Jackson and Carter who were their three most important players, IMO.

Reaction Score

Ohio State's other big with experience in portal.

Seems a little odd to choose to fight hard through a successful season where there was no postseason for you and then decide to leave.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Seems a little odd to choose to fight hard through a successful season where there was no postseason for you and then decide to leave.
Well, I don't think they announced the post-season ban until mid-end December. So, maybe they (Juhasz and Patty) felt it better to complete the season and schooling (I don't know if Patty is a grad transfer, Juhasz is) than try and transfer mid-season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well, I don't think they announced the post-season ban until mid-end December. So, maybe they (Juhasz and Patty) felt it better to complete the season and schooling (I don't know if Patty is a grad transfer, Juhasz is) than try and transfer mid-season.
Their status as "grad transfer" will not matter. Assuming this is the first transfer for both players they will be immediate eligible at the new school.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Their status as "grad transfer" will not matter. Assuming this is the first transfer for both players they will be immediate eligible at the new school.
Yeah, I know it won't from an eligibility standpoint. But as a reason for them finishing the year (academic and athletic), rather than leaving early. I know Patty is an accounting major. Dorka, I believe, was a psych major.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Guess we'll see if there's more to this rumor . . .

Some of these transfers (not specifically just this one) are head scratchers as they are going to teams stacked at certain positions.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Ohio State's other big with experience in portal.

Saying this for absolutely no reason, but since McGuff has been the head coach at Ohio State, every year has seen at least one player leave the program.

2013: Shelbi Honeycutt > Hawaii [McGuff's first year, Honeycutt left before playing for him]
2014: Maleeka Kynard > Xavier | Raven Ferguson (dismissed)
2015: Kaylan Pugh > Ga Tech
2016: Theresa Ekehelar > West Virginia | Lisa Blair > Kansas (grad transfer)
2017: Kiara Lewis > Syracuse | Tori McCoy > Marquette (Health Issues have kept her from competing) Chelsea Mitchell > Left the team
2018: Sierra Calhoun > Rutgers
2019: Jensen Caretti > Left Program
2020: Kae Satterfield > Xavier | Aixa Wone Aranaz > Georgia Tech | Kierstan Bell > FGCU | Janai Crooms > Michigan State
2021: Dorka Juahasz > ? | Aaliyah Patty > ?

They haven't all been impact transfers. But he hasn't had an entire recruiting class graduate from Ohio State. And has had three recruiting classes (2015, 2016, 2019 classes) completely leave before their four years were up. One season (2017) with zero high school recruits.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Saying this for absolutely no reason, but since McGuff has been the head coach at Ohio State, every year has seen at least one player leave the program.

2013: Shelbi Honeycutt > Hawaii [McGuff's first year, Honeycutt left before playing for him]
2014: Maleeka Kynard > Xavier | Raven Ferguson (dismissed)
2015: Kaylan Pugh > Ga Tech
2016: Theresa Ekehelar > West Virginia | Lisa Blair > Kansas (grad transfer)
2017: Kiara Lewis > Syracuse | Tori McCoy > Marquette (Health Issues have kept her from competing) Chelsea Mitchell > Left the team
2018: Sierra Calhoun > Rutgers
2019: Jensen Caretti > Left Program
2020: Kae Satterfield > Xavier | Aixa Wone Aranaz > Georgia Tech | Kierstan Bell > FGCU | Janai Crooms > Michigan State
2021: Dorka Juahasz > ? | Aaliyah Patty > ?

They haven't all been impact transfers. But he hasn't had an entire recruiting class graduate from Ohio State. And has had three recruiting classes (2015, 2016, 2019 classes) completely leave before their four years were up. One season (2017) with zero high school recruits.

Just when you think Ohio State is showing some signs, they fall back into the "cha cha" of one step forward and two steps back. My quick take:
  • I watched a few OSU games this year and they were a pleasant surprise: played cohesively, as a team, seemed to support each other. When they beat Iowa on the road without Dorka Juhasz in the lineup, they were into it. DJ made the trip and was whooping it up from the sidelines.
  • Madison Greene's absence at the end of the year hurt them. She's awfully quick: good defender and can pretty much break any pressure by herself.
  • Afterwards, Braxtin Miller announces she's coming back. Good sign.
Then
  • Dorka announces she's out
  • Patty joins her, reducing OSU of their starting frontcourt.
So.....
- Did Simon Harris leaving to take a HC job affect them? He was the frontcourt coach.
Or...
- ???? (any input appreciated)

So, now OSU (for now) has a number of good guards (Miller, Jacy Sheldon, Kateri Poole, Greene) and virtually no one up front.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this one was posted, but an interesting under-the-radar grad transfer who was a solid role player at a Top 25ish program and going to a very strong Mid-Major who is also returning their best player (Macee Williams) for her 5th year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
A couple more out of Arizona:

Both barely played. Barnes has brought in quite a few international recruits in recent years, but Pueyo is the only one to make much impact. I guess Alonso too, back to her first year at UA.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Just when you think Ohio State is showing some signs, they fall back into the "cha cha" of one step forward and two steps back. My quick take:
  • I watched a few OSU games this year and they were a pleasant surprise: played cohesively, as a team, seemed to support each other. When they beat Iowa on the road without Dorka Juhasz in the lineup, they were into it. DJ made the trip and was whooping it up from the sidelines.
  • Madison Greene's absence at the end of the year hurt them. She's awfully quick: good defender and can pretty much break any pressure by herself.
  • Afterwards, Braxtin Miller announces she's coming back. Good sign.
Then
  • Dorka announces she's out
  • Patty joins her, reducing OSU of their starting frontcourt.
So.....
- Did Simon Harris leaving to take a HC job affect them? He was the frontcourt coach.
Or...
- ???? (any input appreciated)

So, now OSU (for now) has a number of good guards (Miller, Jacy Sheldon, Kateri Poole, Greene) and virtually no one up front.
He may have but he wasn't even on staff for a full year. So, I don't know how big of an impact he would have had on them staying if he had stayed. As for their reasons? Who knows.

Juhasz is close with Musa Jallow from the Men's team who announced he was transferring before her. (She spent the beginning of the Pandemic at his family's house in Indiana since she couldn't return home to Hungary because of the restrictions.) Is that part of the reason she left? Who knows. Since she has her degree, she could have just been ready for something new.

Patty is a mystery. She improved this season and helped big time when Dorka was out with COVID. She seemed happy. She also liked Arike's tweet about the rise in transfers on twitter. HA So who knows. Her future destination may provide answers ? May not. haha

AC's to leave under McGuff:
Joy Smith (née Cheek) (AC job at Vandy and now at Clemson)
Mark Mitchell (Now a HC on the Men's side for Wilberforce University)
Jennifer Sullivan (AC Job at Tennessee)
Carrie Banks (HC job at Omaha)
Patrick Klein (Improper conduct with student athletes, left job. Also was a coach under Foster)
Simon Harris (HC at ESTU)

Madison's injury did seem to hurt the team more than expected. No one else can handle the Which is interesting since this team is full of guards. HA. Also Greene was originally going to Penn State so...McGuff got lucky that there was a coaching change.

The incoming class consists of two guards as well. Neither are highly ranked.

Reaction Score
Guess we'll see if there's more to this rumor . . .

Is Moon not coming back? I figured Carr or McDaniel would handle the point. Unless she comes in and the other two slide over

Reaction Score
Is Moon not coming back? I figured Carr or McDaniel would handle the point. Unless she comes in and the other two slide over
Moon has not indicated either way, other than not entering the draft. I also don't think we are on the market for a PG, given that Kim brought in Carr midseason and Andrews played pretty well down the stretch. If Baylor looks to the portal, I would expect it to be for a wing/longer guard type to replace Carrington.

Reaction Score
I think both under performed this year compared to the expectations going into the year. Both were given chances to earn more playing time but plateaued. Graves has a chance to upgrade from here. I wish both of them well.
One thing of interest here. Listened to a campus run sports talk show on the radio and one of the student radio guys said he lived in Arizona and Chavez was on the same flight back to Eugene as he was. It was on the same day Oregon Was playing a game. Does not mean much because she was injured so they say but he apparently thought it was interesting. Neither Chavez or Shelley seemed to fit in with being a backup PG. They were better suited on the team when Ionescu and Moore were on the team. Everyone will be better off next year. Those two players and Oregon.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
He may have but he wasn't even on staff for a full year. So, I don't know how big of an impact he would have had on them staying if he had stayed. As for their reasons? Who knows.

Juhasz is close with Musa Jallow from the Men's team who announced he was transferring before her. (She spent the beginning of the Pandemic at his family's house in Indiana since she couldn't return home to Hungary because of the restrictions.) Is that part of the reason she left? Who knows. Since she has her degree, she could have just been ready for something new.

Patty is a mystery. She improved this season and helped big time when Dorka was out with COVID. She seemed happy. She also liked Arike's tweet about the rise in transfers on twitter. HA So who knows. Her future destination may provide answers ? May not. haha

AC's to leave under McGuff:
Joy Smith (née Cheek) (AC job at Vandy and now at Clemson)
Mark Mitchell (Now a HC on the Men's side for Wilberforce University)
Jennifer Sullivan (AC Job at Tennessee)
Carrie Banks (HC job at Omaha)
Patrick Klein (Improper conduct with student athletes, left job. Also was a coach under Foster)
Simon Harris (HC at ESTU)

Madison's injury did seem to hurt the team more than expected. No one else can handle the Which is interesting since this team is full of guards. HA. Also Greene was originally going to Penn State so...McGuff got lucky that there was a coaching change.

The incoming class consists of two guards as well. Neither are highly ranked.

If OSU had returned their whole team, I thought they'd be a strong force in the B1G. While they have some fine guards, I'm not really sure Gabby Hutcherson and/or Rebeka Mikulasikova are ready to man the back lines like Dorka Juhasz and Aaliyah Patty did. Don't know who is "out there" forward/post-wise in portal-land, but it would behoove McGuff to do some serious looking.

Given the "mulligan" to players this year, would Patty and Juhasz both have two more years of elibility if they wanted it? If so, Juhasz could get to work on a masters if she's got her undergrad degree.

And for an institution that might have a masters of their choosing, the hoops team could get two years of pertty solid forward work. Wonder if Patty will gravitate (back) to Chicago environs? DePaul?

As for Juhasz: well a bunch of us thought the Hungarian community in South Bend was small(ish) but very spirited. ;)

Reaction Score
Not sure if this one was posted, but an interesting under-the-radar grad transfer who was a solid role player at a Top 25ish program and going to a very strong Mid-Major who is also returning their best player (Macee Williams) for her 5th year.

She had posted on Twitter that this was more of a personal decision. Her family went through a personal loss and she wanted to be closer to home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom