April 2021 Recruiting (only) thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

April 2021 Recruiting (only) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe a 2030 recruit?

No message, the video reminded me of a situation from my AAU coaching days. I posted about it, then deleted it because it was completely off the recruiting topic. I am still trying to get the hang of this forum stuff.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Video reminds me of my “worst and best“ (meaning personally I am not sure which) moment as an AAU coach. I was coaching against an ex-D1 player who ran a very strong program in Jersey in the 2000’s, freshman/sophomore age group.
He thought it funny to run up scores and goof on overmatched teams and one of the things he and his players thought “cool” was to have his players wind up like a baseball throw and threaten throwing the ball in the face of their defender, laughing when the kid invariably cringed or worse.
We were unknown but pretty hard nosed and I told him before the game started that any of that nonsense would escalate quickly, that I had absolutely no problem if they were good enough to run the score up but the other stuff was off limits; I was raised playing ball in parks and playgrounds and learned early you stood your ground hard or went home.
Anyway, they were certainly the better team but we hung tough much of the game and with about 5 minutes to go they went up about 10 - 12 and maintained it to about the minute mark. Then their point guard pulled the baseball throw pantomime and their bench, including coaches, started clapping and laughing.
I had talked to my son prior and he immediately came off the wing and went through the opposing guard with his shoulder, knocking him about 15 feet into the lower rungs of the bleachers.
All “heck” broke loose and the only thing that probably prevented it from escalating further was that most of the parents from other teams came on the floor and kept the teams and coaches apart.
Fifteen or so years later I still have very mixed feelings about it; a side of me was raised “old school” and that’s what we were taught and a side of me certainly recognizes that the kid could have been seriously hurt; his was a “non-violent” act aimed to humiliate, I directed my son to retaliate and that could have potentially caused injury. By today’s values and mores I was certainly wrong but by my own, when I am reminded of it, I am still torn.
Mend up the torn part. I'd of done the same thing and have no compunction today.

Reaction Score
Mend up the torn part. I'd of done the same thing and have no compunction today.
Appreciate that very much; you are quick, I actually deleted the post when I realized it was way off- topic but again, thanks for the reply!

Reaction Score
Know that league well and the extremely low competition. Years ago I would take my team to their Ontario Christian tournament. I’m not saying she isn’t as good as advertised, I would love to see her against top competition.
That's what I saw in previous videos.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Ashlynn Shade earning all kinds of kudos early on at the Boo Williams Invitational (BWI):

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Isuneh Brady playing at Boo Williams too and making impressions.

Brady, Watkins, Shade, Rice, Arnold

Reaction Score
No surprise to me. Ice is skilled and motivated. And how much does it open up the inside for your offense when your 6-3 high post can consistently knock down 3s?
I will take Brady any day of the week. Betts has a load of potential but also has a lot of work to do. Brady may not have the same ceiling but I think Brady will be college ready when she gets to Storrs.

Reaction Score
tayanna todd make her list today 5 finalist uconn in it

I've seen the UCONN logo used as filler before for some of these posts with other players. A couple years back a couple of her Royal Crown team mates made it seem as if UCONN had been to their school was a coach from the men's program.
I don’t see her going to UCONN. Just strictly based on the list and what we have, IMO. I see her picking one of the other schools where she has a chance to play right away.
I'm skeptical as to whether there is a genuine offer. There's nothing on her social media that gives me the impression that anyone at UCONN is following her which is usually a good indication. Coaches from Miss State and Louisville are following her from what I can tell.

Considering she has a couple team mates going to Syracuse, I wonder if that is where she'll end up.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I will take Brady any day of the week. Betts has a load of potential but also has a lot of work to do. Brady may not have the same ceiling but I think Brady will be college ready when she gets to Storrs.
Can't teach 6'7". They are completely different players. Similar to DelRosario from New Jersey. She's taller than her 6'5" listed height, but again, you can't teach that size. Sure Betts has a lot of work to do. Ice already has a strong physical body. Betts is rated so highly because of her potential. Ice is further ahead.

Cunningham will be elite wherever she goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom