April 2021 Recruiting (only) thread | The Boneyard

April 2021 Recruiting (only) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The entire group of 30 players trying out for the U16 American team.

EzYlCc5XMAcVI5Q

EzYlCl3WYAMnY90

Reaction Score
@CocoHusky-- No Philly Belles on this list??? What's going on up there?
I've wondered about the emergence of the Rise, especially after seeing Kevin Flynn being involved. I remember him being a coach with the Belles in the past.

I wonder if there was a split, but this is me just speculating. Looks like Rise are now the EYBL program for the area. I don't see the Belles listed for the 2021 season.

Reaction Score
I've wondered about the emergence of the Rise, especially after seeing Kevin Flynn being involved. I remember him being a coach with the Belles in the past.

I wonder if there was a split, but this is me just speculating. Looks like Rise are now the EYBL program for the area. I don't see the Belles listed for the 2021 season.

If anyone would know it’ll be CocoHusky. That’s up in his jurisdiction. Just waiting for his reply.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

@CocoHusky-- No Philly Belles on this list??? What's going on up there?
What had been rumored for 2 years now finally has become a reality. Kevin Lynch, Fran Burbage, & Brian Creech founded a new AAU organization called the Philly Rise which is nike affiliated and will play on the EYBL circuit this year. They also snagged one of my favorite human beings on this planet La’Keisha Sutton who played at Trenton Catholic ( Aalyah Del Rosario anyone?) and played at South Carolina for Dawn Staley. The Rise also snagged Ellen Masonis who was running an off shoot of the Philly Belles called the NJ Belles. Ellen is of course the mother of Faith Masonius of Maryland. Ellen has a connection to UCONN which I recall @UConnCat writing about some time ago. Ellen played her college ball at St. Joe's but I don't believe the connection was through Geno who was gone from St. Joes by this time, circa 1987. This was a power move and a great one- let's face it. Kevin, Fran and Brian were the Coaching engine of the Belles all the way dating back to Laura Harper through Caroline Doty, Stewie and up to an including Amari. What is also remarkable is the Mike Flynn has always stated that he would never allow another Nike Sponsored team to operate in the Philadelphia Area. For all practical purposes the Philly Rise are the New Philly Belles-they will do well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What had been rumored for 2 years now finally has become a reality. Kevin Lynch, Fran Burbage, & Brian Creech founded a new AAU organization called the Philly Rise which is nike affiliated and will play on the EYBL circuit this year. They also snagged one of my favorite human beings on this planet La’Keisha Sutton who played at Trenton Catholic ( Aalyah Del Rosario anyone?) and played at South Carolina for Dawn Staley. The Rise also snagged Ellen Masonis who was running an off shoot of the Philly Belles called the NJ Belles. Ellen is of course the mother of Faith Masonius of Maryland. Ellen has a connection to UCONN which I recall @UConnCat writing about some time ago. Ellen played her college ball at St. Joe's but I don't believe the connection was through Geno who was gone from St. Joes by this time, circa 1987. This was a power move and a great one- let's face it. Kevin, Fran and Brian were the Coaching engine of the Belles all the way dating back to Laura Harper through Caroline Doty, Stewie and up to an including Amari. What is also remarkable is the Mike Flynn has always stated that he would never allow another Nike Sponsored team to operate in the Philadelphia Area. For all practical purposes the Philly Rise are the New Philly Belles-they will do well.
Good report. Regarding Flynn, why would he have had control over where and who Nike sponsored? And where does this shuffle leave him? Retired or trying to circle the wagons and compete with this organization?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
No Aaliyah Del Rosario on the 2023 list?

Anyone got any wisdom?

Reaction Score

Good report. Regarding Flynn, why would he have had control over where and who Nike sponsored? And where does this shuffle leave him? Retired or trying to circle the wagons and compete with this organization?

Mr. Flynn's influence on girls competitive basketball has been an intriguing question to me as I got more familiar with the AAU landscape for women's basketball. I know he has a reputation that goes back decades from what I've been able to research and I wish I understood more about the dynamics.

His Bluestar organization has come to Canada on occasion for different events. I also think there may have been a business relationship between him and Richard Nurse for AAU ball before the Kia Nurse Elite program came into existence.

I also have seen on social media several who have their issues with him regarding how he promotes the Belles program. He seems to be a polarizing figure in the sport when it comes to girls basketball.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Guys, please remember to stay on topic in this recruiting thread. There are some good topics here worthy of their own thread.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No Aaliyah Del Rosario on the 2023 list?

Anyone got any wisdom?
This is either a question of age or citizenship. To be eligible for this team players must be U.S. citizens born & on or after January 1, 2005.
Aaliyah Del Rosario was born in the Dominican Republic.
I was told that the Philly Belles were trying to bring her on board but I'm not quite sure if that happened. She lives in Trenton and it would be quite a sacrifice for her to drive to Philly and make practices for the Belles or the new Philly Rise squad.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Betts? Iriafen?

Rexrode: I can’t say I saw that coming, Charlotte, though I was told an interesting story this week by a Vanderbilt source in reference to a recent recruiting battle involving Stanford and UConn. Stanford won, and Stanford winning any recruiting battle in this sport should be no surprise. But apparently, the decisive factor for this particular recruit was academics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom