April 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

April 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
I am inclined to think that Geno probably passed on looking at either of them because he has faith in Aaliyah Edwards to start fulfilling that role in her freshman year.

I agree Mack is not a post and Austin obviously did want to be one. If that is the actual reason she wanted to leave Maryland.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Two transfer losses with UConn misses out on Austin whom is going to Mississippi too. Again, we miss out on 2 bigs again.
So we know that these players were interested in transferring to UConn? I’m gonna make my standard bet as always. Dollars to Donuts Edwards will be better than both. I kinda hate it when people say we missed out on these type of players. I mean I would agree if we were talking players like Boston or Cox. Players that we pursued heavily.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Catching up with Isuneh Brady, a couple snippets:

What are your strengths as a player?

As a player, I think my strengths are my versatility and footwork. I'm able to be effective inside and outside the paint. My ability to shoot the 3, attack the basket, post up, or pull up for the mid-range jumper make me hard to defend.

Who has had the most influence on you as player up until now?

My dad and Coach Knight have definitely had the biggest influence on me growing up. They have helped guide me into the player and person I am today. Beside them teaching me everything, I model my game after players like Alyssa Thomas, Breanna Stewart, and Morgan Tuck. The way they play has had a big influence on who I am as a player.

Reaction Score
Catching up with Isuneh Brady, a couple snippets:

What are your strengths as a player?

As a player, I think my strengths are my versatility and footwork. I'm able to be effective inside and outside the paint. My ability to shoot the 3, attack the basket, post up, or pull up for the mid-range jumper make me hard to defend.

Who has had the most influence on you as player up until now?

My dad and Coach Knight have definitely had the biggest influence on me growing up. They have helped guide me into the player and person I am today. Beside them teaching me everything, I model my game after players like Alyssa Thomas, Breanna Stewart, and Morgan Tuck. The way they play has had a big influence on who I am as a player.

that's refreshing to read....................Morgan Tuck's footwork is the best in the business, male or female..................Ms Brady couldn't have picked a better player to emulate.........

Reaction Score
She would not start at either Oregon or UCONN. She went where there was a need to play immediately.

Ellie Mack would not start at any school in the Pac 12. Her value is off the bench. UConn will be very inexperienced on the bench. Lots of potential/future talent.

Reaction Score
Do we think that Geno may be taking to Olivia Owens? I know there was some mutual interest when she was in High School. I think we need another person to add to our short roster next season and we can use anothet post player. Thoughts?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Do we think that Geno may be taking to Olivia Owens? I know there was some mutual interest when she was in High School. I think we need another person to add to our short roster next season and we can use anothet post player. Thoughts?
There was a growing crescendo a few weeks back that not only did Owens flame out a Maryland but "there was a reason Geno passed on her the first time around". I tried to mute most of that. Of the post players still available in the portal Owens might be the best available to help UCONN.

Reaction Score
There was a growing crescendo a few weeks back that not only did Owens flame out a Maryland but "there was a reason Geno passed on her the first time around". I tried to mute most of that. Of the post players still available in the portal Owens might be the best available to help UCONN.

Owens is not a grad transfer, she would sit for a year and next year I doubt she would be in the top 10.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Owens is not a grad transfer, she would sit for a year and next year I doubt she would be in the top 10.
I agree with you when DeBerry comes and Ice the year after we will not need Owens. I'm much more short term focused we need her for the 20-21 season if there going to be one.

Reaction Score
If it passes, heard 2021
I just don't think if they vote yes this early spring/summer that they can get away with not making it effective immediately. The pressure would be too great.

Reaction Score
Two transfer losses with UConn misses out on Austin whom is going to Mississippi too. Again, we miss out on 2 bigs again.
How do you miss out on something you are not interested in? Austin will most likely have to sit out next year meaning she wouldn't be eligible until 2021. In 2021 UConn will have ONO, Edwards, Gabriel, and DeBerry on the roster, then in 2022 they add Brady.

Reaction Score
I just don't think if they vote yes this early spring/summer that they can get away with not making it effective immediately. The pressure would be too great.

There is NO chance of the rule being changed for next season, 2021 at the earliest!

Reaction Score

As a wild guess- (never saw her play) -- if she is slow and can't pass very well- unless she would be happy playing backup center for about 5-7 minutes a game-- no thanks. And I'd bet she wouldn't want that.

Three of our best players-- Evina, CWill, and Paige will be-- they are best when they run from what I can see (if I'm wrong then that probably changes things). And as long as UCONN can have a decent pf-- ONO is among the best centers in all of wcbb. So we have a pretty quick and fast center, and basically the rest of the team built to run and probably press.

No offense to Olivia Owens-- but if she is slow and can't pass -- unless she is a super-finisher, UCONN shouldn't restructure their team just for matchup reasons in which they "might" run into a terrific big team. The 2 bigs would need time to work with each other and just clog the lane more-than-likely, and make the game more difficult for Evina and Paige. And because it would be a less-than-likely team to run a lot with those two bigs then it hurts CWill too.

UCONN was just as good in 16-17 that they were in 17-18. So yeah a big is needed but you can still be extremely successful being small (within reason) and maybe this time UCONN doesn't get beaten by a buzzer beater. The best option imo is to get a pf that can play some center and play a fast-paced style.

Reaction Score
The year sitting out rule is on its way out...

I don't think the rule will change anytime soon. But the NCAA may approve all transfers men and women for next season. NCAA has been the bad guy lately, there are a record number of (especially men) basketball players in the transfer portal, and 2020-21 is up in the air. Why wouldn't the NCAA just through a blanket approval out there and not have to deal with each case, let everyone settle in and see if they play next year. The NCAA also has huge financial issues to deal with. Basketball transfers are not their priority right now.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Any thoughts if UConn would consider Alisia Smith out of Penn State?
42% shooter that doesn't shoot the 3?
giphy.gif

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Williamsville South's Amari DeBerry is Buffalo News Player of the Year

Although she missed two games because of injury, she finished with averages of 21.0 points, 10.2 rebounds, 4.8 blocks and 3.6 assists to help Williamsville South post a 20-3 record.

DeBerry’s stats during the playoffs were more impressive. In South’s final three games, she averaged 24.7 points, 14.0 rebounds and 6.0 blocks per game. She altered countless other shots by serving as an intimidating presence in the paint since she’s usually the tallest player on the court.

In addition to impressive statistics, DeBerry displayed the passing skills and basketball IQ that made her and the Billies’ offense tough to defend.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The cancelled state championship game would have been a rematch of Hopkins and Farmington. In the first meeting of the teams, Farmington tried to leverage their home court advantage by creating a hostile environment for Hopkins and assigning hometown refs. The Royals resisted with 14 steals and by shooting 52% for all field goals. In addition, Hopkins scored 27 points off of Farmington's 24 turnovers for a points-per-possession of 1.14 to Farmington's .74 PPP count. After a back-n-forth first half, Hopkins would be up 40-30 at half. The second period would see a steady increasing of Hopkins' lead towards a final score of 77-52. Paige Bueckers was the game's high scorer at 31 points, 5 assists, and 4 steals.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I believe our big situation for next year is much better than last year. As you know, we are adding an extremely talented and experienced 6'3" 4/5 and a raw 6'5" post that eats up space and runs the floor very well. I just spent some time looking at the limited video on Piath and I see her as quick down the floor and with really good footwork and she is learning how to catch the ball. Of course she made every shot. She should adequately provide all we really need from her; two or three 3 minute spurts a game to rest Liv, of course that's baring foul issues.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom