April 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

April 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Kiki Iriafen the LA Daily News player of the year:

If dominating doesn’t describe her game, unstoppable does.

Iriafen is an elite finisher around the basket and exudes remarkable mental toughness when finishing through contact. She might miss the first shot attempt, but it’s likely she’ll get it back. Iriafen averaged seven offensive rebounds per game this season and shot 228 free throws — the most on the team by 104 attempts.

Slapped, hit, scratched and clawed, the standout junior was unfazed and continued to work — she shot 56 percent from the field.

Several top NCAA women’s basketball programs are recruiting Iriafen, including local power UCLA and national power Connecticut, which tops a list of high-level programs.

Three local high schools schools that have a “direct“ pipeline to UCLA (and have for years) is Harvard-Westlake, Chaminade and Windward. It would not surprise me if she commits to UCLA. She’d stay home, and her parents, family and friends could attend all of her home games. That’s important to some. I’d like to see her come to UConn, though I think it’s a long shot.

Reaction Score
Three local high schools schools that have a “direct“ pipeline to UCLA (and have for years) is Harvard-Westlake, Chaminade and Windward. It would not surprise me if she commits to UCLA. She’d stay home, and her parents, family and friends could attend all of her home games. That’s important to some. I’d like to see her come to UConn, though I think it’s a long shot.
What I’ve been thinking and saying for weeks. Did you have to remind me? :(

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Since this is the recruiting thread I want to give a shout out to the “third” young land in that picture. She a baller in her own right and she did take the time to visit UCONN on her own dime. That says a lot for me. BY meet KK Bransford! Class of 2022.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Since this is the recruiting thread I want to give a shout out to the “third” young land in that picture. She a baller in her own right and she did take the time to visit UCONN on her own dime. That says a lot for me. BY meet KK Bransford! Class of 2022.

KK plays for Mount Notre Dame, a Catholic all girls school in Cincinnati. The school is one of the top Division I programs (the big schools) in Ohio. She was named first team all-state as a sophomore averaging nearly 20 points a game. Scouts that have seen her play indicate that she is a terrific all around player.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
KK plays for Mount Notre Dame, a Catholic all girls school in Cincinnati. The school is one of the top Division I programs (the big schools) in Ohio. She was named first team all-state as a sophomore averaging nearly 20 points a game. Scouts that have seen her play indicate that she is a terrific all around player.

Bransford's big weakness is her shot. She's a driver and athlete right now.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
let's see..... hhuuuumm; Catholic high school, Central state... sounds like a recipe for a Catholic power house to recruit.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
let's see..... hhuuuumm; Catholic high school, Central state... sounds like a recipe for a Catholic power house to recruit.

Eh. Not necessarily. UConn recruited Mel Thomas from the same high school. (I’m from the town over... I won’t tell you what we called MND...)

Cincinnati up to Dayton has loads of Catholic high schools — at least five all girls schools, four all boys schools, and nine co-ed. So unlike where I am now (or other places I’ve lived and taught since...), most of the kids who go to them aren’t Catholic.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Eh. Not necessarily. UConn recruited Mel Thomas from the same high school. (I’m from the town over... I won’t tell you what we called MND...)

Cincinnati up to Dayton has loads of Catholic high schools — at least five all girls schools, four all boys schools, and nine co-ed. So unlike where I am now (or other places I’ve lived and taught since...), most of the kids who go to them aren’t Catholic.
I went to Moeller. Where are you from? Don’t mean to derail the the thread.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I went to Moeller. Where are you from? Don’t mean to derail the the thread.

Lockland — I bet you didn’t know they let us grow up and leave the Valley. And my older brother went to St.X...

Reaction Score
His name is Chris Zorich and he reads well enough to hold 2 degrees from ND including a Juris Doctor degree.
Then I have the wrong player. There was an all American defensive tackle who went to Marva Collins’ school after graduating from ND. My apologies for getting the wrong person.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Prospects Nation has released a 30-player Watch List for the 2022 class instead of an initial ranking list. Numerous UConn targets and one UConn verbal are on it.

Isuneh Brady
California, Class of 2022
POSITION P
HEIGHT 6' 3"

COMMITTED TO
Connecticut
TBA

Brady is a powerful post prospect with all the athleticism to make a huge impact. Her strength allows her to be a dominant rebounding force while her agility makes her a rim running threat at any level.

KK Bransford
Ohio, Class of 2022
POSITION G
HEIGHT 5' 10"

COMMITTED TO

Undecided
TBA

Bransford has been at her best in previous evaluations on the attack looking to get downhill. In that regard, she projects as one of the premier slashers in the country regardless of class. We fully expect Bransford’s game to continue to progress from the outside as well.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Janiah Barker
Florida, Class of 2022
POSITION F
HEIGHT 6' 3"

COMMITTED TO

Undecided
TBA

Barker is an elite athlete with the more than upside. In flashes she is nearly unguardable because of her unique combination of scoring skills and explosiveness.

Shay Bollin
Massachusetts, Class of 2022
POSITION F
HEIGHT 6' 3"

COMMITTED TO

Undecided
TBA

Bollin's early production reminds me of Elle Sutphin (NC State freshman) with her versatility. She has good size, skill with the ability to stretch the defense with her outside shot.

Timea Gardiner
Utah, Class of 2022
POSITION F
HEIGHT 6' 3"

COMMITTED TO

Undecided
TBA

Gardiner is a matchup problem with her size for the interior and ball skill to play away from the basket. Comparison can run anywhere from Kayla Pedersen to Napheesa Collier, which is good company to be in.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Lauren Betts
Colorado, Class of 2022
POSITION P
HEIGHT 6' 7"

COMMITTED TO

Undecided
TBA

Betts is a rare athlete that has incredible size and length yet isn’t limited by it athletically as most 6-7 players are. She’s a major impact defensively and rebounding and her offensive production is ahead of where Imani Stafford was at the same age.

Kiki Rice
Maryland, Class of 2022
POSITION G
HEIGHT 5' 11"

COMMITTED TO

Undecided
TBA

Rice has to be in the running for one of the best scoring guards in the class. She can score the ball in so many different ways and has the utmost confidence in her ability. If she gets in a rhythm

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Ashlon Jackson
Texas, Class of 2022
POSITION G
HEIGHT 6' 0"

COMMITTED TO

Undecided
TBA

Dynamic guards with skill sets like Jackson’s are extremely hard to come by. Those traits make her a high level prospect in the class and arguably the top player in a Lone Star State always full of talent.

Londynn Jones
California, Class of 2022
POSITION PG
HEIGHT 5' 3"

COMMITTED TO

Undecided
TBA

Jones had a breakout year in 2019, making a huge splash at USA Basketball. She's proven over time to be an elite on-ball defender. This year she showed her range and shotmaking had to be respected.

Reaction Score
It's pro, she's an amateur in a pro-league. But, here, in Europe, we care about Euroleague & EuroCup, others are B leagues, mostly regional

So what is the difference in talent and competition between a league like Muhl's and Euroleague? Is the one a feeder system for the other? Do talented players get snapped up by Euroleague immediately?

Really curious.

Reaction Score
It is "minor" teams from little countries, not for quality but just lacking the money to keep their best players.
Even in EuroLeague & say div2 EuroCup, there is a big gap betweeen Russia & Turkey and the rest of the continent. Spain, Italy, Czech, France, Poland each have a few teams that can entertain but Russia & Turkey have the big sponsorship and so they attract the best players. A player who show talent in WABA, won't end long in this league, they will go in the previous said countries to earn more money and try to win more prestigious trophies.

Reaction Score
EuroLeague is (for me) the best league in Europe at least. Just take a look at the previous FF participants, just as simple as that : EuroLeague Women - Wikipedia

And the best of the best is UMMC Ekaterinburg, look at the roster & notice same straight number of FF as UCONN in NCAA (every year since season 2007-2008) - They have had Asjha, Sue and Dee on their roster previously, Maya recently and now Breanna. And Svet (of course).

Gabby Williams has had a terrific year this past season in Montpellier (FRA) & also in EuroLeague. I sadly fear we won't be able financially to keep her in France, Russia or Turkey attract all the best.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
If she didn't speak very good English how could she take college courses at a major University?
When I was pursuing my MBA, in several of my classes there was a young woman from Venezuela. The government paid for her to get a MBA in the USA. Her spoken English was rough, however, she could read quite well and understand spoken English with apparent ease. As I recall her grades were very good. So it could work. Asking questions in class was problematic for her.
It reminded me of my struggles with the German language. My spoken German was, frankly, atrocious. However, my reading comprehension was as if I were reading English. I could understand spoken German well enough but not with ease. I needed lots of practice to parse the words. Grandpa's linguistic genes were only sparsely represented in my DNA.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom