April 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

April 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The cancelled state championship game would have been a rematch of Hopkins and Farmington. In the first meeting of the teams, Farmington tried to leverage their home court advantage by creating a hostile environment for Hopkins and assigning hometown refs. The Royals resisted with 14 steals and by shooting 52% for all field goals. In addition, Hopkins scored 27 points off of Farmington's 24 turnovers for a points-per-possession of 1.14 to Farmington's .74 PPP count. After a back-n-forth first half, Hopkins would be up 40-30 at half. The second period would see a steady increasing of Hopkins' lead towards a final score of 77-52. Paige Bueckers was the game's high scorer at 31 points, 5 assists, and 4 steals.

Dawn Staley just announced that Hopkins is the MN State Champions........:cool:

Reaction Score
I believe our big situation for next year is much better than last year. As you know, we are adding an extremely talented and experienced 6'3" 4/5 and a raw 6'5" post that eats up space and runs the floor very well. I just spent some time looking at the limited video on Piath and I see her as quick down the floor and with really good footwork and she is learning how to catch the ball. Of course she made every shot. She should adequately provide all we really need from her; two or three 3 minute spurts a game to rest Liv, of course that's baring foul issues.
I have rarely seen so many on the Boneyard express so much faith in frosh bigs. I agree with most of what is being said, just not for next year. There is so much to learn about the college game, UConn's system in particular, that any meaningful production would be an exception. I forecast a Final 4 in two years and a championship in 3. Next year, a very fun team to watch.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have rarely seen so many on the Boneyard express so much faith in frosh bigs. I agree with most of what is being said, just not for next year. There is so much to learn about the college game, UConn's system in particular, that any meaningful production would be an exception. I forecast a Final 4 in two years and a championship in 3. Next year, a very fun team to watch.
One of the keys to the development of freshmen is the ability to play meaningful minutes. This past season, with Evina’s waiver request denied by the NCAA and Evelyn not providing the level of play hoped for, Anna and Aubrey got a lot more minutes early in the season than they otherwise might have. While they both had their ups and downs, by the end of the season they both had become effective contributors.

This coming season, assuming that Evina is back at 100% from her 2 surgeries, UConn will have only 5 experienced players returning. That means some of the freshmen will have to play at a minimum as key reserves. Paige, Aaliyah and Nika are the most advanced in their development and would likely be the first freshmen to earn meaningful minutes.

Mir could be a another defensive stopper/ rebounder just as Aubrey was this past season. Piath is the wild card. If she can develop well enough to play meaningful minutes by the end of the season, UConn could be a formidable team by the Tournament.

Reaction Score
I believe our big situation for next year is much better than last year. As you know, we are adding an extremely talented and experienced 6'3" 4/5 and a raw 6'5" post that eats up space and runs the floor very well. I just spent some time looking at the limited video on Piath and I see her as quick down the floor and with really good footwork and she is learning how to catch the ball. Of course she made every shot. She should adequately provide all we really need from her; two or three 3 minute spurts a game to rest Liv, of course that's baring foul issues.
For the most part I agree. I just would say Edwards is probably more like a 3/4 and we'll see if CD and hopefully Jamelle can turn her into a player who can function at the 5 for periods of time.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
My confidence is Aaliyah Edwards is not based in some amorphic hope but upon the lady and her performance to date. I don't know if we have ever had a frosh big with the experience and physical abilities of AE. She is the national outstanding player, The Most Valuable player for the province and Defensive Player of the year for her province. She's 6'3" and solidly built, yet her range makes @DEpup says her game is more suited to a 4/3 than a 4/5. Most of the time we are excited to get a player who played for USA U18, AE has been playing for the Canadian National Team with Kia Nurse and other professionals since she was 17. As far assimilation into the UConn way, numbers of freshmen were contributors in their first season recently Kia Nurse, KLS, CW, Anna. She also played for Kia's AAu sponsored team so I hope there has been some input from Kia about the UConn game.

For Piath to contribute, all she has to do is give Liv a break for 2 to 3 minutes a half without letting the game get away from her. Her height and mass should enable her to give an opposing post some difficulty for a spurt. She seems to have a tremendous attitude and is athletically gifted with an immature game. I would be happy if Jemelle gets a chance to work with her.

Reaction Score

In 2003 UConn's front line was 6'3 Moore, a sophomore, 6'2 Crockett, a freshman and 5'11" Turner, another freshman. Undersized and inexperienced.

Reaction Score
In 2003 UConn's front line was 6'3 Moore, a sophomore, 6'2 Crockett, a freshman and 5'11" Turner, another freshman. Undersized and inexperienced.
I'm going to say this with the most sensitivity Ican when talking about a woman's body. Yes they could be considered undersized in height but they had additional width and muscle that still took up space in the lane.....

Reaction Score
I've heard a ton of buzz about this kid. But 2024 is a long ways away.
What have you heard? Because all the hype is about her dunking. I have a question. Can she actually play the game well? I can’t find any game footage. I wanna see ball handling, jump shots, defense etc etc. All the necessary things needed to be compared to Stewart. Until I see that, there is no buzz for me. 2024? Come on mannnnnnn!

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
As it is often requested, here is the game where Paige Bueckers scores her career high water mark of 43 points -- now on YouTube!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
In Hopkins' 4th game of the 2015-16 season, Elk River lost to Hopkins 78-62. The game is remembered though as Paige Bueckers' highest scoring game of her first season as a varsity player. Paige came off the bench that game to shoot 6 for 7 from three totaling 22 points on the game.

Replay set to Paige's entrance:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
ESPN has put their 2023 prospects in a top-25.

Among those with known UConn interest Judea Watkins is #1, Jada Williams #7, and Malaysia Fulwiley #13.

Maggie Mendelson, Timea Gardiner's teammate, is #22. UConn saw both this past season.

Also watch out for #8 Chloe Clardy. She is UConn material, imo.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Among those with known UConn interest Judea Watkins is #1, Jada Williams #7, and Malaysia Fulwiley #13.
Maggie Mendelson, Timea Gardiner's teammate, is #22. UConn saw both this past season.
Chloe Clardy highlight below giving the business to Judea Watkins at the end of the video. I believe this was at a Blue Star 30 event.

Reaction Score

Aalyah Del Rosario is a really athletic 6'5" post and she is going is to be a dominant force at the next level...............as an NJ recruit it's about time UConn took advantage of their geographic advantage............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't know if she will end up at UCONN but Saniya Rivers REALLY REALLY gets it. It being humility, team play, and how to impact the game without scoring. This is not just another highlight video please listen to what the young lady is saying and how well she is saying it. The last UCONN recruit this articulate, this humble, this willing to do whatever it takes was Napheesa Collier.

Reaction Score
I don't know if she will end up at UCONN but Saniya Rivers REALLY REALLY gets it. It being humility, team play, and how to impact the game without scoring. This is not just another highlight video please listen to what the young lady is saying and how well she is saying it. The last UCONN recruit this articulate, this humble, this willing to do whatever it takes was Napheesa Collier.

What a well-spoken young lady, especially for only a sophomore when this was filmed! I am impressed.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
What have you heard? Because all the hype is about her dunking. I have a question. Can she actually play the game well? I can’t find any game footage. I wanna see ball handling, jump shots, defense etc etc. All the necessary things needed to be compared to Stewart. Until I see that, there is no buzz for me. 2024? Come on mannnnnnn!
This compilation shows more than dunking.

Reaction Score
Thanks Plebe. Good stuff! I like my crow BBQ’d . Worth keeping an eye one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Aalyah Del Rosario is a really athletic 6'5" post and she is going is to be a dominant force at the next level...............as an NJ recruit it's about time UConn took advantage of their geographic advantage............
Exactly. Parents can now easily travel to games from DC to RI in BE... Gtown, Villanova, Seton Hall, St. Johns, UConn, Providence....

Reaction Score
Exactly. Parents can now easily travel to games from DC to RI in BE... Gtown, Villanova, Seton Hall, St. Johns, UConn, Providence....

Yes.........I'm hopeful that will be an attractive bonus to recruits and their families........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom