April 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

April 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
I don't know if she will end up at UCONN but Saniya Rivers REALLY REALLY gets it. It being humility, team play, and how to impact the game without scoring. This is not just another highlight video please listen to what the young lady is saying and how well she is saying it. The last UCONN recruit this articulate, this humble, this willing to do whatever it takes was Napheesa Collier.

Very articulate and likable, but I thought she didn’t have interest in UConn.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The 2019 Minnesota State semifinals:

Centennial played Hopkins at Williams Arena on March 14, 2019 at 6:00 pm. This was the 31st game of the season and was the class 4A state tournament's semifinal game. Paige Bueckers would score 28 points with 7 assists, 5 steals, and 4 rebounds.

Reaction Score
You can chalk that up to youth. She initially said she wanted to go somewhere to beat UCONN. Then UCONN started recruiting her. She has down selected to about 12 schools and UCONN is among that 12.
Nice! So, Saniya would be competing with Azzi for a spot on the team?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nice! So, Saniya would be competing with Azzi for a spot on the team?
Nah! Azzi is not competing with ANYBODY for a spot on ANY TEAM.
I honestly was thinking that Saniya was in the mix for a spot on UCONN along with Verhulst, Ducharme, & Von Oelhoffen. Saniya was also competing for a spot on ND with Olivia Myles and Payton Verhulst.
Now that those dominoes (Miles, Verhulst, Ducharme ) have all fallen I think Rivers stays in state at UNC or NC State ( Father is an Alumni? ) or goes to South Carolina. Where ever she goes she going to be a problem.
IMO the only way Saniya ends up at UCONN is if Azzi doesn't, but stranger things have happened.
BTW I never saw Miles as a UCONN fit even though she is a gifted passer her defense is severely lacking and her outside shot is very streaky.

Reaction Score
A little feature on Azzi Fudd, compliments of Slam.

There's a bit with Bueckers putting the hard sell on Azzi.

Sometimes HS coaches do not want their stars to announce early in the hope other girls get more exposure.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm haven't historically been a close follower of the recruiting scene, but can anyone remember a time when one commit publicly puts on a full court press like Paige has done with Azzi? I don't think I've seen it before.

Reaction Score
I'm haven't historically been a close follower of the recruiting scene, but can anyone remember a time when one commit publicly puts on a full court press like Paige has done with Azzi? I don't think I've seen it before.
Not before the days of social media.

Reaction Score

Publically for sure. Didn't DeShields organize a posse to UNC?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Recruits have often been involved with pulling other recruits along with them - the TASSK was supposedly sort of 'organized' that way I believe, but ...

I think Azzi and Page are pretty much best friends and have been visiting each other and traveling together for years, so it just flows from that I think. The fact that they are both at the top of their respective classes makes it bigger and definitely they're all over social media.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I read on the BY that Megan Walker was trying to recruit players to UConn and one of the players was Westbrook. That was one of the reasons I was surprised of her decision to leave. Something must have changed her mind. I hope Bueckers stays best friends with Fudd and that friendship helps her decide to commit to UConn.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I read on the BY that Megan Walker was trying to recruit players to UConn and one of the players she was Westbrook. That was one of the reasons I was surprised of her decision to leave. Something must have changed her mind. I hope Bueckers stays best friends with Fudd and that friendship helps her decide to commit to UConn.

Regarding Megan, I am wondering if it is not somthing as simple as the Liberty 'contacting' her before her decision and them gushing about her as a great fit, etc. Not sure any other team put her at that level. Which leads me to ask what are the rules about WNBA teams contacting players before they may declare early?

Reaction Score
Paige & Azzi’s friendship is great, but It might be a good thing for Paige to give Azzi a little more space to make her decision.
Honestly I think AZZI already knows where she’s going & I think it’s between UConn, UMD ( Home) & UNC.
I think Paige knows Azzi wants to play for Geno & that’s the only reason that she behaves like that. She’s literally performing a full court press, but we have 3/4 girls from that legendary photo. We just need that last one to commit..

Also when Geno said we’re looking to be bad for basketball again & smirked. He knows what he has up his sleeve #BleedBlue

Fun fact: I forgot where I was reading or watching this but Paige gave Geno her word a few months before she went public on IG. That’s why when she initially committed Geno said jokingly “took You long enough”

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
If Maryland is on Azzi`s short list, I wonder if their recent transfers give her pause. I would think so.

Choosing UConn means playing for Geno and with Paige, in all likelihood cutting down the nets on multiple occasions, and sharing the spotlight. Playing almost anywhere else may or may not provide some chance at a title (certainly South Carolina would provide for that possibility), playing against Paige once or twice a year, playing for possibly a very good coach not named Geno, probably having the spotlight largely to herself, and in some cases being close or closer to home.

It would be a fool`s errand for me to try and pretend to know how she might balance those factors, but I`m guessing those are the pertinent ones. Unless, of course, she has already decided and is just waiting for the appropriate time to tell the world where she is bringing her talents to.

Reaction Score
Regarding Megan, I am wondering if it is not somthing as simple as the Liberty 'contacting' her before her decision and them gushing about her as a great fit, etc. Not sure any other team put her at that level. Which leads me to ask what are the rules about WNBA teams contacting players before they may declare early?

I was wondering the same thing myself.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I was wondering the same thing myself.
I'm not sure if direct contact is permissible with players that still have NCAA eligibility. I do know that during at least two UCONN broadcast games this year (scrimmage against USA basketball & Oregon) the broadcast commentators made reference to several WNBA scouts being in the bldg. My guess is the feedback came the informal route even perhaps through Geno. Megan would have been ill advised if she didn't seek out that feedback before declaring. BTW I really like the transparency and formality of the NBA feedback process to underclassmen.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Two more thoughts on the video.

Every middle school coach and player should watch and keep the video for reference. The fundamentals being taught here are essential for any kid that wants to be an offensive threat.

If by some weird instance, professional basketball doesn't work out or maybe when she is done--she should coach. One of her many gifts is the ability to explain a drill or a skill set clearly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom