AP Top 25 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

AP Top 25

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
To get on National TV, the PAC 12 Teams need to schedule games against the Elite East/MidWest teams during their Non Conference Schedule. Can't complain like some PAC 12 teams/fans have they don't get national TV Exposure since the PAC 12 Network controls their Conference Games. Six of the 11 PAC 12 teams have an OOC Strength of Schedule greater than 180. PAC 12 is not alone, as the other P5 Teams do they same thing. You can list on two hands the number of WBB teams that schedule competitive OOC Schedules on an annual basis. Stanford is usually one of them. Weak/Pathetic OOC Schedules don't grow the Game. It also leads to the Constant Complaint why is UConn and/or Notre Dame always on National Television. Because they're usually good and will play anyone. Being on the East coast also helps as the games can be scheduled during East Coast Prime time and their fans can attend the games. IF the PAC 12 scheduled a couple of Conference Challenges with the other P5 Teams, they would get more national tv exposure. Especially going forward as it looks like they will have 4 to 6 Top 25 teams annually.

Can't tell me that ESPN wouldn't have loved to Nationally Televised a couple of Oregon OOC Games with the Hype (Deserved) that Sabrina Ionescu is getting. All Oregon had to do was to schedule a couple of more games against teams usually in the Top 20 and if they were Oregon home games, probably schedule them on a Saturday/Sunday afternoon.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From what I've been able to piece together from SR's statements over the years, he wants at least one big program to play in Gill each year - e.g. Notre Dame, Tennessee - to get the home crowd excited. He wants one serious road test - he was hoping Miami would be that test, but it seems that Miami isn't as good as everyone thought they would be. He wants a Top25-type opponent in Hawaii. And he wants a strong holiday tournament - last year that was Vancouver tournament. So he is looking for home-and-homes with top eastern schools and has scored a couple, but it isn't easy to talk top programs into flying 3000 miles for a game when they can get a similar game without leaving their time zone. We've seen some great games in Gill, but despite his efforts it hasn't happened every year.

Reaction Score
Can't tell me that ESPN wouldn't have loved to Nationally Televised a couple of Oregon OOC Games with the Hype (Deserved) that Sabrina Ionescu is getting.

ESPN doesn't give a fig. College WBB is filler for ESPN - they can run almost any sport and get the same rating. NCAAW only matters at tourney time.

Reaction Score
All the SoS talk ignores one thing: for schools like UConn and OSU, any team outside roughly the Top 100 is a cupcake (and outside the Top 50 is just a tune-up). The west coast has a much smaller pool of teams, so Pac-12 teams end up scheduling a lot of RPI 200-300 type teams whereas east coast teams don't have to reach down so far to find opponents. The computers - especially the RPI - punish that very disproportionately.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
All the SoS talk ignores one thing: for schools like UConn and OSU, any team outside roughly the Top 100 is a cupcake (and outside the Top 50 is just a tune-up). The west coast has a much smaller pool of teams, so Pac-12 teams end up scheduling a lot of RPI 200-300 type teams whereas east coast teams don't have to reach down so far to find opponents. The computers - especially the RPI - punish that very disproportionately.
A bit overly simplistic, I'm afraid. Stanford just lost to a team outside the top 50. And Louisville just went to 2OT with a team well outside the top 100.

Not all west coast teams load up on teams in the 200s and 300s. Stanford and Washington State consistently have had very strong nonconference schedules. It's a choice.

Reaction Score
A bit overly simplistic, I'm afraid. Stanford just lost to a team outside the top 50. And Louisville just went to 2OT with a team well outside the top 100.

Clearly those teams are not like OSU and UConn!

Not all west coast teams load up on teams in the 200s and 300s. Stanford and Washington State consistently have had very strong nonconference schedules. It's a choice.

According to Massey, WSU had four opponents >200. Oregon State had three. Stanford two, with two more >150.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Clearly those teams are not like OSU and UConn!
OSU trailed a sub-100 team by 5 at the half, and UConn last year trailed a sub-100 team by double digits in the 4th quarter.
According to Massey, WSU had four opponents >200. Oregon State had three. Stanford two, with two more >150.
That's not more than what most teams from other "power" conferences typically schedule. WSU's NCSOS is currently ranked #46 in RPI, Oregon State's #22, Stanford's #15.

And btw, 2 of WSU's 4 sub-200 opponents are from Louisiana and Arkansas, which further undermines your argument about Pac-12 teams having no choice but to schedule weak teams from the western states.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm surprised that TCU didn't make an appearance on the top 25.

Reaction Score

The biggest movers are
FSU down 3 to #11
MD down 5 to #17
SDAK up 4 to #22

Miami, Minnesota, and Texas all drop off Top 25

Michigan reappears at #24
Princeton shows up at #25
Weird that we (A&M) jumped FSU despite losing badly head to head on a "neutral" court in Texas. I guess losing to them by a big margin is a better loss than losing to Cuse by 1 pt in OT?!

Mysterious are the ways of poll voters.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I'm surprised that TCU didn't make an appearance on the top 25.
Not too surprising. The win over a barely ranked Texas (#25) was their first noteworthy accomplishment of the season — and they were fresh off a loss to Middle Tennessee.

Reaction Score
I assume that the voters will make an undefeated Oregon State #1 next week, but will be interesting to see if they jump Baylor all the way to #2.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I wonder how many voters are going to flip a coin between SC and Baylor??? Both have valid arguments and maybe even UCLA could sneak up there...
And the rest of the Top 10 is going to be quite interesting too, IMO.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I'm definitely fine not being #1. Our team is too young for that kind of target.

..and this season has been especially unkind to #1 ranked teams.

Reaction Score
I'm definitely fine not being #1. Our team is too young for that kind of target.

..and this season has been especially unkind to #1 ranked teams.
I think Baylor and South Carolina will be neck and neck in 1st place votes

Reaction Score
I really just want Baylor to be number 1 for the chance that both the men's and women's teams to be number 1 at the same time. Obviously UConn has done this, but has anyone else? That's the sort of thing that can bring some good positive publicity to a school. I also think that both teams are deserving of the position, but obviously that will sort itself out over the next couple months.

Reaction Score
Oregon will be lucky to end up with only five losses as they have road games @OSU, @Stanford, @ UConn, @UCLA. The same can be said for OSU, UCLA, and Stanford. Tough league as shown this weekend. So #1 is no longer in the future for any PAC-12 team.

With their remaining schedules Baylor, South Carolina, and UConn will likely end the season 1-2-3 in some order. And may show up in that order tomorrow.

Reaction Score
I think that Baylor and South Carolina players are all forcefully presenting their cases to be #2.

"You be number 1. No, that's OK, you should really be #1.

Reaction Score
The voters who put Louisville number 1 should be stripped of their ballots. I can't think of a justification for that vote, especially with Oregon losing another game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom