AP poll | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AP poll

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
On what grounds? Bahaha a first round exit last season in the tournament?

Agreed. There too many teams ON TOP of Iowa that they cannot beat, such as.......Maryland, Miss St, UConn, ND, and Stanford. Let's keep it real!

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Wow....ND loses to #25, and only drops down 2 spots. SMH. :eek:
I'm really not sure where you would rank them. Did you see what transpired this week? Stanford lost by 40 at home (they moved up 1 spot). Oregon St. lost by 17 to the Cardinal and they dropped 2 spots. Notre Dame split vs. @#20 Miami and home vs. #21 FSU and they dropped down 2 spots. Marquette has the same number of losses and has had a mich easier schedule. Maryland has only 2 losses, but a far easier schedule. It doesn't just matter what you do in a given week but also how those teams around you do. And the rankings are supposed to represent the entire season. I think Notre Dame is ranked right where they should be. Where would you rank them?

Reaction Score
Wow....ND loses to #25, and only drops down 2 spots. SMH. :eek:

Yeah but then they turned around and beat up #24. I suppose that helped stop some of the bleeding.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'm really not sure where you would rank them. Did you see what transpired this week? Stanford lost by 40 at home (they moved up 1 spot). Oregon St. lost by 17 to the Cardinal and they dropped 2 spots. Notre Dame split vs. @#20 Miami and home vs. #21 FSU and they dropped down 2 spots. Marquette has the same number of losses and has had a mich easier schedule. Maryland has only 2 losses, but a far easier schedule. It doesn't just matter what you do in a given week but also how those teams around you do. And the rankings are supposed to represent the entire season. I think Notre Dame is ranked right where they should be. Where would you rank them?

Reaction Score
I don’t have much of a problem but there seems to be a glaring problem. How Stanford moved up after losing by 40 at HOME!?

If they really believe Stanford deserved to be moved up, Oregon should be the clear cut #1.

Reaction Score
I have no issue on where ND is ranked. They have the toughest schedule in the country. Granted their losses are not good but let’s be Stanford, Oregon St, Marquette are not better than the Irish.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Yeah but then they turned around and beat up #24. I suppose that helped stop some of the bleeding.

They were at home. They were suppose to beat a team that far below them. To me, their loss to #25 Miami was more impressive than their win over #24 FSU at home. ND is suppose to be a 1 seed. #1 seeds are suppose to play better than that, especially this time of the year. Kinda like #3 Oregon did yesterday AT #10 Stanford!!!

It will all come out in the wash starting in 4 weeks. :)

Reaction Score
I have no issue on where ND is ranked. They have the toughest schedule in the country. Granted their losses are not good but let’s be Stanford, Oregon St, Marquette are not better than the Irish.

Depends on the night, I guess. Is UNC better than ND? How about Miami? How would we determine this?

Carnac

Reaction Score
Depends on the night, I guess. Is UNC better than ND? How about Miami? How would we determine this?

Selection Monday (March 18) is 35 days away, almost a month. There is still a lot of time for teams continue to jockey for position. How they fare in their respective conference tournaments will also have a bearing on how they're seeded. Tonight at halftime, the top 16 teams will be revealed. Get into the tournament, get a good seed, and play your best ball of the year. This year, there is no clear cut favorite. There are 4-5 teams that could get hot, and run the table. Don't forget about that buzz killer "dark horse", or sleeper team. Several 1 seeds were sent home the last 2 years by a team they didn't see coming.

I'm going to use tonight's game against South Carolina as a barometer of how UConn can be expected to fare in the tournament. The Gamecocks are precisely the type of team UConn will see in the tournament. I think the die is cast. There's no one left on their schedule that can/will help them get ready. 38 or so days before their first tournament game. Can any of the players that are going to play the bulk of the minutes get any better between now and then?

There can be no let down or an "off" shooting night tonight. UConn MUST come out fast and strong like they did the last two games against ECU and Temple. You don't want to get down early to SC. You might be playing catch up all evening like they did at Baylor.

The season is winding down. With tonight's game, UConn has 7 games left, 4 of them are on the road (UCF, Tulsa, Wichita St, and USF). Tonight is a dress rehearsal for the tournament. Let's see how they do. Do they shine and play well, or do they struggle and look confused and over matched?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Well one game was without Jackie Young but I hear you. We do know that the committee doesn’t care who you lost to so much, just who you beat.

At some point eyeballs & brains need to be used to rank teams, not just looking at a sheet of paper. I’m speaking of the committee btw, no one on this board arguing otherwise.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It's you. The writers poll is almost always better.
Translation: "My team is higher in the coaches' poll, so surely it's more accurate."

Reaction Score
I don’t have much of a problem but there seems to be a glaring problem. How Stanford moved up after losing by 40 at HOME!?

If they really believe Stanford deserved to be moved up, Oregon should be the clear cut #1.

Again, it's all relative.
And the voters on aggregate DID move Stanford down (see below).

Yes it's unusual to move up after that kind of loss, but consider:

* Some voters likely moved Card ahead of previously #7 Ore St, since they just beat them
* Prev #9 NC St lost again
* #11 Stan was WAY ahead of #12 SC last week -- almost 100 points, meaning the average voter had Stan ahead of SC by 3-4 spots. Hard to make up that ground unless something remarkable happened.
* Stanford actually had fewer points this week (423) than last week (447). And yet they moved up in the ranks. Odd, but it happens.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Again, it's all relative.
And the voters on aggregate DID move Stanford down (see below).

Yes it's unusual to move up after that kind of loss, but consider:

* Some voters likely moved Card ahead of previously #7 Ore St, since they just beat them
* Prev #9 NC St lost again
* #11 Stan was WAY ahead of #12 SC last week -- almost 100 points, meaning the average voter had Stan ahead of SC by 3-4 spots. Hard to make up that ground unless something remarkable happened.
* Stanford actually had fewer points this week (423) than last week (447). And yet they moved up in the ranks. Odd, but it happens.
THERE you go again using facts to ruin a perfectly good conspiracy theory! Head bang

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Miami ahead of FSU, that is what a win over ND will do, despite the head to head in FSUs favor.
Miami also has a win over Marquette, which means they have 2 wins that are better than any of FSU's wins.

Miami is also slightly heavier in the loss column:
Both have a loss at home to Clemson.
Both have a loss to a bubble team (FSU at home to LSU, Miami on the road to Purdue).
But Miami has an additional loss to CMU, making them slightly heavier in the loss side of the ledger.

Will be very interesting to see how the committee evaluates these two. I could see the committee putting both in the top 16, just one of them, or neither.

Reaction Score
Miami also has a win over Marquette, which means they have 2 wins that are better than any of FSU's wins.

Miami is also slightly heavier in the loss column:
Both have a loss at home to Clemson.
Both have a loss to a bubble team (FSU at home to LSU, Miami on the road to Purdue).
Miami has an additional loss to CMU, making them slightly heavier in the loss side of the ledger.

Will be very interesting to see how the committee evaluates these two. I could see the committee putting both in the top 16, just one of them, or neither.

I think due to FSUs youth and weak ooc schedule(smart by Coach Sue knowing she was losing all 5 starters) would in a case of Miami vs FSU today be in Miami's favor. Like you said UM has two better wins than any of FSUs.

Reaction Score
I trust coaches more than media
Nice sentiment but coaches are too busy with their own team to watch most games. And evidence has shown that the coach often passes the ranking submission to an assistant or AD.
The coaches poll also notoriously follows a win = move up ; lose = move down regardless of quality.
A team that gets a lot of wins against nobodies is much more likely to end up highly ranked in the coaches poll.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom