AP poll | Page 4 | The Boneyard

AP poll

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Louisville drops two spots to #4. Oregon to #2, UConn #3.
Miss State drops one spot to #6, ND up to #5.
Stanford, NC State, Maryland, Iowa round out the top 10.
Miami jumps from #20 to #14.
Texas falls to #19.
Drake re-enters at #24 and Rice enters at #25. First time Rice has ever been ranked.

Reaction Score
Starting to make my mouth water. Too bad Curry College* doesn't play D1.

*Yes that's a real school for you non-Northerners
I have many students who have gone on to Curry College.... let’s just say we should stick with plain rice, lol.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
2019 Women's College Basketball Rankings and Polls for Week 2 - ESPN

Nothing much has changed except Duke dropping out and Minnesota joining.

I believe the winner of this year’s championship is among the top 6. I also believe that 4 of these top six will make the final four. Will it be considered an upset when those 2 teams are eliminated? Which two won’t get that invite to Florida for the final four weekend?

Mike Anthony: NCAA women’s Tournament should value fair matchups, consider a shift in structure

Last edited by a moderator:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Louisville drops two spots to #4. Oregon to #2, UConn #3.
Miss State drops one spot to #6, ND up to #5.
Stanford, NC State, Maryland, Iowa round out the top 10.
Miami jumps from #20 to #14.
Texas falls to #19.
Drake re-enters at #24 and Rice enters at #25. First time Rice has ever been ranked.

drakedance.gif

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Rice has played excellently and thoroughly deserves their ranking.
Thoroughly deserves? Massey has them at 41.

Rice has played 5 teams inside the Massey Top 100. They lost by 9 or more to the three inside the Top 50 and beat #89 and #90.

They have been very good at not losing games they shouldn't, but they're not a Top 25 team.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Rice has played 5 teams inside the Massey Top 100. They lost by 9 or more to the three inside the Top 50 and beat #89 and #90.

They have been very good at not losing games they shouldn't, but they're not a Top 25 team.

They had an injury bug at the beginning of the year and Mulkey was eligible to play start of January. They're a different team now and I would take them over UNC or UCLA in a rematch (maybe not A&M).

Reaction Score
So Maryland loses to Iowa and they only drop one. Iowa beats Maryland and raises four. Boy they must be in a tough league. Oregon St loses to Oregon #2 who is coming off a blow out of Stanford and they drop four. You would think that Maryland and Iowa were in a league ranked much higher than the Pac 12. this is one of the worst up and down rankings all year. There just has to be some district bias involved in the voting. think of all the teams that have lost and only Oregon St drops 4, except for Marq. who lost ot an unrated team

Reaction Score
So Maryland loses to Iowa and they only drop one. Iowa beats Maryland and raises four. Boy they must be in a tough league. Oregon St loses to Oregon #2 who is coming off a blow out of Stanford and they drop four. You would think that Maryland and Iowa were in a league ranked much higher than the Pac 12. this is one of the worst up and down rankings all year. There just has to be some district bias involved in the voting. think of all the teams that have lost and only Oregon St drops 4, except for Marq. who lost ot an unrated team
Massey is Maryland nine, Oregon State 10, Miami 11 and Iowa 12. That looks accurate to me.

Reaction Score

I look at the change in points not the change in the overall rankings.

While Oregon St. dropped 3 places in the rankings they only lost 23 points. South Carolina dropped 2 places in the rankings and they only lost 5 points. There are 7 teams that lost more points but dropped fewer places.

Rankings Pts Change.png

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Averaging 12.8 points, 6.8 rebounds and almost 4 blocks per game. Shooting 59% from the field. 2nd on her team in points and rebounding.

Leading Rice in both scoring and rebounding is Erica Ogwumike: 16.3 ppg and 11 rpg.
I believe that Erica's parents said she was the intense one, even more than Chiney.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Here are the latest Massey numbers

1550578652082.png

Very tight all across the board.

Interesting that ND is #1 in Power Rankings but 4th in Rating

Rating = overall assessment of the team's performance to this point in the season

Power = estimated team strength going forward (used to make predictions)

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Here are the latest Massey numbers

View attachment 39838

Very tight all across the board.

Interesting that ND is #1 in Power Rankings but 4th in Rating

Rating = overall assessment of the team's performance to this point in the season

Power = estimated team strength going forward (used to make predictions)

Basically, that means that Notre Dame would be predicted to win any match-up against the top 6 held at a neutral location (PWR), but Notre Dame's loss to UNC (and the fact that they have lost 3 games) hurts their overall rating. The overall team rating is a merit based quantity, and is the result of applying a Bayesian win-loss correction to the power rating. It all looks very close across the board (RAT), as you stated.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Basically, that means that Notre Dame would be predicted to win any match-up against the top 6 held at a neutral location (PWR), but Notre Dame's loss to UNC (and the fact that they have lost 3 games) hurts their overall rating. The overall team rating is a merit based quantity, and is the result of applying a Bayesian win-loss correction to the power rating. It all looks very close across the board (RAT), as you stated.

This seems to support what I've felt all year. If ND is locked in and playing at a high level, they're the best team in the country. The Marquette blowout was a great example.

But, they seem to be more vulnerable to playing well below their potential more often than the other teams in the Top 6. I think that disappears in the Tourney, but it'll be interesting to watch.

I will freely acknowledge as a Miss St fan that the loss to Mizzou was as far below potential as ND's UNC loss (taking nothing away from great single game efforts by UNC and Mizzou).

Reaction Score
This poll means squat right now—-

All I know is that the placement of the ACC tournament championship game loser is gonna wreak havoc in somebody’s bracket.

Reaction Score
Especially if Miami were to win the ACC tournament. But then, Notre Dame, Louisville, and Miami might all be #1 seeds.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Especially if Miami were to win the ACC tournament. But then, Notre Dame, Louisville, and Miami might all be #1 seeds.
Umm, no, just the opposite effect, no one from the ACC would be #1. Two #2’s and a 3 for Miami.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom