Ap poll is ridiculous | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ap poll is ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It would help if you knew what you were talking about, but I will still respond.

Wanna bash Witchita's schedule? Their SOS is 81, ours is 85. They beat Tennessee, St. Louis, and BYU. All three of those teams are rated higher by kempom than BC, IU, or Maryland.

Ok state blew the doors off of Memphis and won AT Colorado, but we have a better resume? Yea okay.

Why is that no one has us ranked in the top 10? Not on any site. Is it because everyone "hates" us and is out to get us? No it is because its reality right now. Wake up. You want 10 better teams? Zona, Cuse, Mich St., Ok State, Witchita, Ohio St., Wisky, Baylor, Oregon and Florida (yes we beat them, but by 1 at home, with their best player in the locker room, can you say with 100% certainty that we beat them on a neutral court?)

And your point about this weeks poll having effect on the one in March, what has an effect is winning games, that is all. Murray State was in the top 10 2 years ago in the last poll and was given a 6 seed, the poll means nothing. Do I think were the 17th best team? No, probably 12-14, but does it matter how were ranked now and do I worry about, not at all. All I care about is where we are ranked in April.

Jerry I'm wondering if you ever watch basketball or just scour the internet looking at meaningless rankings. In one breath you say essentially "rankings are meaningless" and then you defend your position by using Kenpom rankings which at this point in the season are also meaningless. Tennessee, St. Louis and BYU are garbage teams. Do you think Loiusville is the best team in the country right now? According to Kenpom they are. OK State also LOST to the same Memphis team they blew the doors off, but that doesn't factor in, right? And now our Florida win doesn't count because they got an injured player back? Don't throw out bogus SOS #'s because you have a MUCH higher probability of losing a game playing a combination of a good team and a bad team (i.e. Florida and Maine) than you do playing 2 teams that can't even sniff the top 50 (BYU and Tennessee), but SOS will tell you a different story. There's not a single team in the country that hasn't looked bad in multiple games.

When you have teams like KU jumping over you when they haven't even played a game all week, you know the public perception for UConn is low. If these media guys can't take their jobs seriously when it comes to the rankings, they shouldn't be allowed to vote. In general the rule is you win, you move up or stay the same, you lose, you move back. This is now 2 out of the last 3 weeks where we have "won and moved back" so that some 3 loss teams could jump over us. Not a coincidence. You should turn a game on other than UConn every now and then and actually watch some other teams this year. This is one of the weakest years I can recall in the past 10 years. There is not a single team out there that looks consistently better than anyone else. At this point there are probably 20 or so teams that could win the tournament come March....it's not often that you see that happen.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Jerry I'm wondering if you ever watch basketball or just scour the internet looking at meaningless rankings. In one breath you say essentially "rankings are meaningless" and then you defend your position by using Kenpom rankings which at this point in the season are also meaningless. Tennessee, St. Louis and BYU are garbage teams. Do you think Loiusville is the best team in the country right now? According to Kenpom they are. OK State also LOST to the same Memphis team they blew the doors off, but that doesn't factor in, right? And now our Florida win doesn't count because they got an injured player back? Don't throw out bogus SOS #'s because you have a MUCH higher probability of losing a game playing a combination of a good team and a bad team (i.e. Florida and Maine) than you do playing 2 teams that can't even sniff the top 50 (BYU and Tennessee), but SOS will tell you a different story. There's not a single team in the country that hasn't looked bad in multiple games.

When you have teams like KU jumping over you when they haven't even played a game all week, you know the public perception for UConn is low. If these media guys can't take their jobs seriously when it comes to the rankings, they shouldn't be allowed to vote. In general the rule is you win, you move up or stay the same, you lose, you move back. This is now 2 out of the last 3 weeks where we have "won and moved back" so that some 3 loss teams could jump over us. Not a coincidence. You should turn a game on other than UConn every now and then and actually watch some other teams this year. This is one of the weakest years I can recall in the past 10 years. There is not a single team out there that looks consistently better than anyone else. At this point there are probably 20 or so teams that could win the tournament come March....it's not often that you see that happen.
Our Florida win was great, but it isn't a marquee win. They were playing without 2 of their best players and their best player on the floor got injured in the second half. And we barely won. Voters realize this, so does the public. And our wins against BC, Maryland, Indiana are meaningless right now (unless they do work in conference play, which I doubt).

The schedule was built to play good teams out of conference, but that kinda fell through and we have a huge home loss to Stanford. We'd have lose less than 3 or 4 games to get a top 3 seed.

Reaction Score
Our Florida win was great, but it isn't a marquee win. They were playing without 2 of their best players and their best player on the floor got injured in the second half. And we barely won. Voters realize this, so does the public. And our wins against BC, Maryland, Indiana are meaningless right now (unless they do work in conference play, which I doubt).

The schedule was built to play good teams out of conference, but that kinda fell through and we have a huge home loss to Stanford. We'd have lose less than 3 or 4 games to get a top 3 seed.
Oy. They were playing without one freshman. The other guy won't play. And Wilbekins got injured late (3 minutes remaining) and they scored every time after, so it really didn't affect anything. This whole point is assinine. The same Florida team we beat (exactly the same Florida team, only with 3 extra minutes of Wilbekins) then beat Kansas and Memphis. So, yeah, it's absolutely a marquee win and to pretend otherwise is to change the facts to suit your argument.

Your point about how the schedule was built is largely right, though. Indiana, Maryland, and Washington are usually better, and it was supposed to be a borderline NCAA year from BC. It's early, so we'll see if they turn it around, but they could have been better. And the Stanford loss was bad.

Reaction Score
the continued devaluation of the Florida win by the usual troll posters on this board is hilarious. by the end of the season when it comes to tourney time they're going to be claiming that UF was nearly forced to forfeit because they didn't have enough players to put on the court.

Reaction Score

The first paragraph proves you probably got an F in reading comprehension and you know nothing about the sport. BYU isn't great, but they handled Stanford. To say St. Louis is garbage is just plain stupid, my guess is you also didn't see Tenny blow out a solid UVA team last night. Just a little help for you because you clearly need it, 2 real ratings, not the worthless AP poll, the Kenpom, and Sargain, here is Tenn (25, 42), St. Louis (21, 29). Anyone who knows anything uses these ratings in evaluating teams, not the AP Poll, that is for dummies.

You know there was a AP voter who simply resubmitted his same vote from the week before this week? This is the poll you get your panties in a bunch over? One that NO ONE takes seriously.

OK state lost on a neutral to Memphis, you know that right? We lost at home to Stanford, which loss is worse?? I worry about you Ollie.

I am not saying our over Florida doesn't count, I said I can't say we are definitely a better team them then. We won at home on a last second shot. It is still a great marquee win, the only one we have though.

I guess you didn't watch basketball in 2011 if you think this is weakest year in 10 years.

Those "bogus" SOS numbers are much more important for seeding than the AP poll, so if you want to rant and rave about something meaningless, do it about that, because it actually matters

Reaction Score
Our Florida win was great, but it isn't a marquee win. They were playing without 2 of their best players and their best player on the floor got injured in the second half.

Against UConn Wilbekin played 35 minutes and didn't get hurt till the last 3 minutes of the game. When Casey Hill came back for Florida's big wins against Kansas and Memphis he scored a total of 11 points in both games combined. Meanwhile Wilbekin averaged 35.5 minutes a game in those two wins. Anyone who dismisses UConn's win over Florida in any way is not paying attention.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Aaaahhhh....Florida not a marquee win?? Wilbekin missing the last 3 mins of the game was akin to fouling out...happens in almost EVERY game. Florida scored on every possession after Wilbekin "fouled out"...Young was killing us. You can't say they were "missing" 2 of their best players...Florida's best players were in the game...remember Dickie V saying how Ater Majok was the 2nd coming before he ever stepped on the court? Florida is a title contender and it WAS a marquee win.

Indiana was also a "resume" win on a neutral floor, beating Washington on the road was a good win, BU could be a tourney team...win doesn't hurt, BC & MD wins don't seem great but one of them could surprise once ACC starts. Stanford loss not a killer, they could end up making the Tourney.

The Harvard game is Big as are the 2 L'ville, Memphis, Cincy, SMU games...at least 9 "Quality" games left....hopefully we get 6+ wins out of the bunch and take care of business with the rest of the schedule. If we deserve a top 3 seed we'll get it, if not we'll get what we deserve....don't care really as long as we are in.

caw

Reaction Score
It would help if you knew what you were talking about, but I will still respond.

Wanna bash Witchita's schedule? Their SOS is 81, ours is 85. They beat Tennessee, St. Louis, and BYU. All three of those teams are rated higher by kempom than BC, IU, or Maryland.

Ok state blew the doors off of Memphis and won AT Colorado, but we have a better resume? Yea okay.

Why is that no one has us ranked in the top 10? Not on any site. Is it because everyone "hates" us and is out to get us? No it is because its reality right now. Wake up. You want 10 better teams? Zona, Cuse, Mich St., Ok State, Witchita, Ohio St., Wisky, Baylor, Oregon and Florida (yes we beat them, but by 1 at home, with their best player in the locker room, can you say with 100% certainty that we beat them on a neutral court?)

And your point about this weeks poll having effect on the one in March, what has an effect is winning games, that is all. Murray State was in the top 10 2 years ago in the last poll and was given a 6 seed, the poll means nothing. Do I think were the 17th best team? No, probably 12-14, but does it matter how were ranked now and do I worry about, not at all. All I care about is where we are ranked in April.

Wichita State is proving that SOS can be gamed. They are playing a bunch of decent to mediocre teams but nobody dreadful and nobody great. That is how they keep a high SOS. They have no marque wins. Could they be great, yes, but they haven't played a single team as good as Florida (even as constituted against UConn).

OKSt does have a better resume than UConn.

Can you say with 100% certainty that any of the top ten you mentioned would beat UConn on a neutral court? That is a very poor argument to make.

I personally don't think UConn should be in the top ten right now but there are a few teams in the top 16 that should not be ahead of UConn. UK, UL, KU really shouldn't be. Wichita State is arguable until they play another top 25 team. Florida shouldn't be yet, though if their super freshman is as good as many say, I can understand the jump. Of course he may be more Ajou Ajou than Luol, if you get my meaning.

Not to you but, Florida is a top 15 team without their freshmen, top 12 with their freshman PG and maybe a top 10 or higher with Walker. It's a marquee win regardless. Any top 15 win is. It may not be as impressive as it would have been if Florida had its freshmen, but that's not the same as not being a marquee win.

Reaction Score
Where's the Dislike button again?
To be fair, Champs, it was an 11 point lead at the 3;30 mark. EWU was still in the game at that point. We didn't push the lead up to 20 or so till the last 3 minutes of the game and ended up winning by 16. EWU is 5-6 now and was slaughtered by UC Irvine (by 23) and Seton Hall (22). Honestly, a 16 point victory was disappointing to me.

And I'm not sure I buy the "UCONN is the biggest game they play all year" any more than I buy the "Team A just wanted to win more than Team B". Their kids had spent a week on the east coast after getting demolished at Seton Hall. It's not like the game was in Washington in front of their fans in a sold out facility... Just my $.02...

I see nothing wrong with our ranking nor with dropping us. We've had 1 wire to wire smackdown (Detroit) and gutted out a win against a good Florida team. Literally every other game has been far closer than it should have and none were overly impressive in the eyes of the national voters...
This team has a very disturbing tendency to play to the level of its competition. Against Stanford it came back and bit us on the . Either that or UConn is just not that good. I think we're a legitimate Top 20, who could probably beat most top 10 teams on a given night but could also lose to most Top 25 teams on a given night.

Reaction Score
Wichita State is proving that SOS can be gamed. They are playing a bunch of decent to mediocre teams but nobody dreadful and nobody great. That is how they keep a high SOS. They have no marque wins. Could they be great, yes, but they haven't played a single team as good as Florida (even as constituted against UConn).

OKSt does have a better resume than UConn.

Can you say with 100% certainty that any of the top ten you mentioned would beat UConn on a neutral court? That is a very poor argument to make.

I personally don't think UConn should be in the top ten right now but there are a few teams in the top 16 that should not be ahead of UConn. UK, UL, KU really shouldn't be. Wichita State is arguable until they play another top 25 team. Florida shouldn't be yet, though if their super freshman is as good as many say, I can understand the jump. Of course he may be more Ajou Ajou than Luol, if you get my meaning.

Not to you but, Florida is a top 15 team without their freshmen, top 12 with their freshman PG and maybe a top 10 or higher with Walker. It's a marquee win regardless. Any top 15 win is. It may not be as impressive as it would have been if Florida had its freshmen, but that's not the same as not being a marquee win.

I do think Florida is a Top 10, that is why I listed them there.

I agree 100% that no one can say UConn couldn't beat any of the top 10 teams, but no one can say they can, and no one can say they could beat someone like Iowa State or others in the Top 25, it is way to early, that is why the AP poll is meaningless right now, no one knows anything for sure. It is simply a opinion poll based on who people think are better with very little evidence.

Reaction Score
I do think Florida is a Top 10, that is why I listed them there.

I agree 100% that no one can say UConn couldn't beat any of the top 10 teams, but no one can say they can, and no one can say they could beat someone like Iowa State or others in the Top 25, it is way to early, that is why the AP poll is meaningless right now, no one knows anything for sure. It is simply a opinion poll based on who people think are better with very little evidence.

We get your opinion already that the polls are useless Jerry...nothing like beating a dead horse. But your arguments for SOS and what constitutes a "good" team are weak at best. You think Virginia is a good team? Most nights they struggle to score 50 points. Did you happen to see the game they put up 38 on Wisconsin? Look, I realize people thought they would be decent this year, but they aren't. Right now, with the conference they're in that team is not even going to sniff the NCAA tournament and the NIT may even be a stretch for them. They will have a below .500 ACC conference record, mark it down. You keep throwing out these crap teams as being "good" but then you devalue wins that we have against a solid Florida team, BC and Indiana. Just stop already. And say what you want about the Kenpom ratings, but this time of year they're no more accurate than any of the other polls, so don't use them to try to prove a point. Everyone knows SOS can be gamed (we've done it before ourselves) and Witchita St. is a perfect example. Again, not a single team they've played is even within spitting distance of being a top 25 team. Have you actually watched them play? I bet you couldn't name a single player on their team, but yet you put them ahead of UConn because we played a putrid half of basketball against Stanford. If you think Florida is a top 10 team than so are we. There's so much pessimism on this board that no one seems to realize how bad a lot of these top 10-15 teams are. We've also got 2 guys that can break a defense down and score at will at the end of a game, most teams don't even have 1. Just remember we've gone 11-1 with essentially NO center and Daniels and Calhoun have not played well. I can't wait until Feb/March when we get some experience for our big guys and we start playing to our potential...if we can get Brimah and Nolan going forget top 10, we will be a top 5 team.

Reaction Score
I devalue a win against BC because they are terrible. The fact you can even reference that win is astonishing. Take off the uconn blue glasses and wake up.

St. louis is receiving votes, is that not spitting distance to being in the top 25? They have two single digit loses to WSU and Wisky, but yea they suck, and BC is a good.....

Baker, Cotton and Early. Quit while you are behind Ollie

Reaction Score
I devalue a win against BC because they are terrible. The fact you can even reference that win is astonishing. Take off the uconn blue glasses and wake up.

St. louis is receiving votes, is that not spitting distance to being in the top 25? They have two single digit loses to WSU and Wisky, but yea they suck, and BC is a good.....

Baker, Cotton and Early. Quit while you are behind Ollie

As bad as BC is, at least they've played a good schedule. If Witchita St. had played BC's schedule not only would they have multiple losses, but we'd all have a feel for what kind of team they are. How does it feel to be the biggest on the Boneyard? You must feel so good waking up every morning posting from your pedestal. As bad as you think BC is, they will end up with more ACC wins than Virginia because they can score more than 50 points a game. You can continue to hate on UConn like you continuously do, but we'll be in the mix in March. Better get on board while you can because this team is going to be a tough out come March/April.

Reaction Score
As bad as BC is, at least they've played a good schedule. If Witchita St. had played BC's schedule not only would they have multiple losses, but we'd all have a feel for what kind of team they are. How does it feel to be the biggest on the Boneyard? You must feel so good waking up every morning posting from your pedestal. As bad as you think BC is, they will end up with more ACC wins than Virginia because they can score more than 50 points a game. You can continue to hate on UConn like you continuously do, but we'll be in the mix in March. Better get on board while you can because this team is going to be a tough out come March/April.
It must be tough not being able to understand what people write. I said we should be ranked higher, I just said we are not a top 10 team at the moment (nor have do we have the resume to prove we are).

4-9 BC is off to a great 0-1 start in the ACC with a HOME loss to maryland. Where can I sign up for this UVA v. BC bet?

Reaction Score
It must be tough not being able to understand what people write. I said we should be ranked higher, I just said we are not a top 10 team at the moment (nor have do we have the resume to prove we are).

4-9 BC is off to a great 0-1 start in the ACC with a HOME loss to maryland. Where can I sign up for this UVA v. BC bet?

LOL...You just signed up pal. Good luck with your UVA team. You realize they have THE WORST offensive #'s out of any of the power 5 conferences and it isn't even close? I'm sure you knew that since you're a basketball genius that has all of the Kenpom ratings memorized. UVA should do great in a league of high scoring teams with their #315 ranked offense. I'm sure they'll have no problem holding Duke, UNC, or Syracuse to 50 points, right? You'll be lucky if they win 3 games in the ACC. All you see is the # of W's in front of UVA and you assume they don't suck, but all their wins are against cupcakes. Not only will BC have a better league record, BC will slaughter UVA when they play head to head and I don't even like BC...

Reaction Score
LOL...You just signed up pal. Good luck with your UVA team. You realize they have THE WORST offensive #'s out of any of the power 5 conferences and it isn't even close? I'm sure you knew that since you're a basketball genius that has all of the Kenpom ratings memorized. UVA should do great in a league of high scoring teams with their #315 ranked offense. I'm sure they'll have no problem holding Duke, UNC, or Syracuse to 50 points, right? You'll be lucky if they win 3 games in the ACC. All you see is the # of W's in front of UVA and you assume they don't suck, but all their wins are against cupcakes. Not only will BC have a better league record, BC will slaughter UVA when they play head to head and I don't even like BC...
If you actually used kenpom ratings you would know thats wrong, you simply looked at their PPG. Their adjusted O by kenpom is 152 What is not wrong is the fact BC has the 298th adjusted defense in the country, worst out of the power 5, and almost worse in the country. UVA is 8th, BCU gave up almost 90 to FAU, look forward to how they do in the league.

BC is rated between fordahm and datmouth by sargain, kenpom thinks more highly of them, has them between oakland and weber state, but I forgot everyone is wrong but you, they are the best 4-9 team ever.

Reaction Score

You are sounding like a fool by stating numbers but ignoring what is happening behind the scenes to get to those numbers. UVA is a very solid team and I would not be surprised to see them get into the tourney this year (they should make it there).

UVA offense is not ranked 315, as you claim, maybe if you take just raw numbers you get that but if you normalize the numbers their offense is ranked 152 (middle of the pack) for offensive efficiency. Their eFG% is ranked 163. So no they are not a bottom of the barrel offensive team. They play at a pace of only 63 possessions per a game which ranks 340 out of 351 for slowest paces/fewest possessions. Its pretty simple less possessions = less points/scoring opportunities.

Their defense is 8th in the nation for efficiency, they are 14th for fewest FT attempts by opponent (play great D without fouling), 27th eFG% defense, and 9th in the nation on defense at preventing offensive rebounds. That is what they are built on and that has always been a trademark of Tony Bennett teams.

News flash Wisky is the same type of team thus why only 38 points were scored by UVA. Just because they aren't flashy doesn't mean UVA is a poop team.

VCU, SMU, Green Bay, Wiscy, Tenn is a pretty good OOC schedule.

Reaction Score
You are sounding like a fool by stating numbers but ignoring what is happening behind the scenes to get to those numbers. UVA is a very solid team and I would not be surprised to see them get into the tourney this year (they should make it there).

UVA offense is not ranked 315, as you claim, maybe if you take just raw numbers you get that but if you normalize the numbers their offense is ranked 152 (middle of the pack) for offensive efficiency. Their eFG% is ranked 163. So no they are not a bottom of the barrel offensive team. They play at a pace of only 63 possessions per a game which ranks 340 out of 351 for slowest paces/fewest possessions. Its pretty simple less possessions = less points/scoring opportunities.

Their defense is 8th in the nation for efficiency, they are 14th for fewest FT attempts by opponent (play great D without fouling), 27th eFG% defense, and 9th in the nation on defense at preventing offensive rebounds. That is what they are built on and that has always been a trademark of Tony Bennett teams.

News flash Wisky is the same type of team thus why only 38 points were scored by UVA. Just because they aren't flashy doesn't mean UVA is a poop team.

VCU, SMU, Green Bay, Wiscy, Tenn is a pretty good OOC schedule.

You guys can spin the #'s any way you want, but the fact is the UVA is one of the worst scoring teams in the entire country. Wisconsin gets by with their slow-it-down half court style of play in the Big 10 because the Big 10 has been predominantly a lower scoring, half court league. The ACC is the total opposite. UVA is not going to slow down teams like Syracuse, UNC or Duke like they could with OOC opponents. How successful would Wisconsin be in the ACC? Probably not very successful with their current style of play, they would have to adjust. As a GENERAL rule, the better team dictates the tempo of the game. UVA will not be able to dictate the tempo in the ACC in very many games. Can they adjust to the faster style of play? We'll see, but my money is on them not winning many games.

Reaction Score
If you took kenpom, statsheet sagarin, and massey and averaged them the top 25 would look like this:

1. Zona71.75
2. OSU133.25
3. OKST164
4. Wisky174.25
5. Cuse194.75
6. Nova307.5
7. Iowa St328
8. Kansas379.25
9. Wichita4310.75
10. Mich St4411
11. Florida5313.25
12. Louisville5513.75
13. Oregon5714.25
14. Kentucky6015
15. Iowa6416
16. Duke6416
17. Umass6917.25
18. Pitt7117.75
19. Baylor7418.5
20. Memphis8320.75
21. Zags8922.25
22. Colorado9022.5
23. SDSU9724.25
24. Creighton10325.75
25. UNC10626.5
26. Uconn10726.75

Reaction Score
You guys can spin the #'s any way you want, but the fact is the UVA is one of the worst scoring teams in the entire country. Wisconsin gets by with their slow-it-down half court style of play in the Big 10 because the Big 10 has been predominantly a lower scoring, half court league. The ACC is the total opposite. UVA is not going to slow down teams like Syracuse, UNC or Duke like they could with OOC opponents. How successful would Wisconsin be in the ACC? Probably not very successful with their current style of play, they would have to adjust. As a GENERAL rule, the better team dictates the tempo of the game. UVA will not be able to dictate the tempo in the ACC in very many games. Can they adjust to the faster style of play? We'll see, but my money is on them not winning many games.

Its not spin its the actual facts of the matter.

If a team only shoots 40 shots a game how on gods green earth are they suppose to score more than 60? Explain number guru.... At shooting 50% and 30% of those made shots being 3s that comes out to (28+18= 46 points then take into account 10 made FT and that's 56 points scored).

Now take a team that shoots 60 shots a game but only shoots 40%.... 34+21+10= 65 points.

Based on your logic example B is the better offensive team because they score more points however they are actually less efficient and not as good a team but the raw numbers (that you solely rely on) paint a false picture.

Reaction Score
BC loses at home again, UVA picks up a big road win.......And your argument that you cannot name 10 better teams then UConn, well.......

Reaction Score
Just curious how everyone is feeling about the AP poll right about now?

Not rubbing it in just saying it's worthless…..we were never the 9th best team and honestly we aren't worst than 25 teams………they just need to play better now!

Reaction Score
UVA now 3-0 in the league with 2 road wins. I thought I would be lucky if they won 3 games in the ACC??

This posting is priceless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog