Ap poll is ridiculous | The Boneyard

Ap poll is ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Twice this year we have been dropped in the rankings with out losing,how is Louisville ahead of us with two loses and no quality wins on there resume. And as for kensucky, three loses! gets one good win and leap frogs us, it's bullsh!t!

Not to mention a 10-2 gator team we beat and a 8-3 kansas team ranked higher.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Dropping below Kansas was the real head scratcher. Chalk it up to the AAC and ESPN and move on.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
I just saw this too and am glad I'm not the only one scratching my head... someone in Vegas was mad that the boys didn't cover the spread and then put in a call to ESPN. Either that or Jeff "Not So Smooth Talking" Goodman controls the rankings!

Although, Irish is right... we'll see come March.

Reaction Score
ya rankings obviously mean little but this is definitely weird. kentucky finally won on their 4th try against a ranked team (at home) and jumps right back over us

Reaction Score
Welcome to life as a mid-major. I warned everybody of this years ago.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
I'm hoping it fires up KO and the boys! They need to tear the AAC apart and make them give the respect this team deserves.

Reaction Score
Who cares? This poll means absolutely nothing.

We can keep saying this means nothing, but at the end of the day it does have meaning come NCAA tournament time. You can't tell me with a straight face the selection committee does not look at rankings when determining seeds. Right now based on who we've played and the rest of college BB being very mediocre, we have the resume of a top 10 team. You can't make the AAC argument either, because Louisville is in the same conference and they've been given far better treatment than we have. Dook continues to either lose to decent teams or pound cupcakes and they move up every week. The bottom line is we have a favorable conference schedule and if this team can get through the rest of the year with only 4 or 5 losses we should leap frog a lot of the teams ahead of us who have tougher in conference schedules.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Yeah I haven't seen to many 17th ranked teams land a top 3 seeding come tournament time so it means something.

Reaction Score
Yeah I haven't seen to many 17th ranked teams land a top 3 seeding come tournament time so it means something.
It's also December 30th. Conference play starts this week. Teams at the top of the rankings will start losing games as they go on the road in conference play. We need to win both games this week on the road against teams we are better than, and continue to build of that going forward. Silly to get too worked up over rankings this time of year. March is a different story.

Reaction Score
We can keep saying this means nothing, but at the end of the day it does have meaning come NCAA tournament time. You can't tell me with a straight face the selection committee does not look at rankings when determining seeds. Right now based on who we've played and the rest of college BB being very mediocre, we have the resume of a top 10 team. You can't make the AAC argument either, because Louisville is in the same conference and they've been given far better treatment than we have. Dook continues to either lose to decent teams or pound cupcakes and they move up every week. The bottom line is we have a favorable conference schedule and if this team can get through the rest of the year with only 4 or 5 losses we should leap frog a lot of the teams ahead of us who have tougher in conference schedules.
The December 30th AP Poll has nothing to do with seeding, absolutely nothing. The polls get more accurate as the year goes along.

I disagree we have a top 10 resume, we have one great win and a terrible loss. BC, Maryland, and IU are not what we hoped they would be and we didn't beat any of them impressively.

Keep winning, win the league, and win the conference tournament and our seeding will be just fine.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
It's also December 30th. Conference play starts this week. Teams at the top of the rankings will start losing games as they go on the road in conference play. We need to win both games this week on the road against teams we are better than, and continue to build of that going forward. Silly to get too worked up over rankings this time of year. March is a different story.

I hear ya, for me it's not so much where we're at it's who's ahead of us I don't agree with.

Reaction Score
I think based on Napier's play alone; UCONN will end up with favorable seeding come tourney time. Providing they take care of business in conference.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Got to win the AAC w/ 3 losses or less to have a shot at 3 seed or better. Who cares where we are ranked right now.

Also committee does not care about the rankings. I think the rankings and seeding are sometimes similar but there are too many inconsistencies to think the committee gives it more than a passing glance. Way more thought goes into the seeding compared to some writers who barely watch the games.

Reaction Score
I hear ya, for me it's not so much where we're at it's who's ahead of us I don't agree with.
It is frustrating, no doubt. But I think a team like Duke (with 2 losses already) will struggle in the ACC. Kansas in the Big 12. We need to take care of the teams we should beat (like Houston on Tuesday) and pick up wins against Memphis, Louisville, Cincinnati. I also think the Harvard game is huge since the wins against Maryland and BC don't look so good right now. I anticipate the Indiana win to look better at the end of the year than it does now.

Reaction Score
Dropping below Kansas was the real head scratcher. Chalk it up to the AAC and ESPN and move on.

Don't know if you caught it during the EWU game, but a SNY announcer was talking about how difficult it will be to shine in the AAC because conference is very poorly rated.
More evidence of the need for UConn's administration and BOT to work every damn day to get us out of this dumpster fire of a conference.

Reaction Score
Don't know if you caught it during the EWU game, but a SNY announcer was talking about how difficult it will be to shine in the AAC because conference is very poorly rated.
More evidence of the need for UConn's administration and BOT to work every damn day to get us out of this dumpster fire of a conference.

The spotlight from ESPN's perspective will be on this team. UConn plays 13 AAC games on the family of networks and one on CBS. We will have the national exposure, just have to play well.

Reaction Score
We are ranked exactly where we deserve to be based on how we have played.

You played footsy with teams you should smack around like BC than you can't complain when voters are unimpressed. That 2nd half against Stanford was about as bad a half as any top 15 team has played all year, it was on national TV, and that is the last impression most of the voters have.

This team has got to improve before I start complaining about their ranking. I watched that Syracuse/Villanova and KY/Louisville doubleheader this weekend and I'm very concerned about where we are from a talent standpoint in comparison.

Now the good thing is this team going back to last year always played close games and failed to blow out cupcakes yet still beat Michigan State, Syracuse, and Florida. So the closer games we play don't mean it's a lost cause to be a top 10 team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr