Anyone feel like bragging? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Anyone feel like bragging?

Reaction Score
9th grade pony league football. We did not have a freshman team. So you had 9th graders and some 10th graders who did not want to play high school yet. Championship game 0-0 game late in the 3rd Q I stepped in front of a swing pass as a DE and picked it off returning it for a TD tacked just as I crossed the goaline. We scored one more in the 4th Q and won 12-0.
Senior year in HS playing noseguard at Wednesday practice for defense I picked off a middle screen and one of our coaches said I would like to see you do that in the upcoming game. 4th Q of the game I pick off the middle screen and return it 48 yards for a TD. Prior to the play one of our starting D-ends had to go to the bench and the senior sub had lined up in the neutral zone. It did not count. Still ticks me off.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Bo Ortiz man

That knuckle ball was legit.

They had the dumonds, symkowicz, Alex Hurley (who always an absolute monster despite being about 5’4)

Plus they had future UConn lb Dana deleston who’s dirty and spiked our 3B on the NECK stealing 3b.

And they had an endless supply of pithing

dery, capella, Natalie, it was like a never ending door of good solid arms.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
all-male small dorms like Lafayette were pseudo frat houses - good times, free meals if you waitered. played IM football on that field. got in many good licks playing line; disliked by the opponents, loved by my teammates.
It’s was like a frat without pledging bs. In fairness, I was placed in Trumbull as one of 6 freshman that UConn was doing in the Towers dorms and had I been in the Jungle like most frosh males at the time I probably would’ve gone Greek. the Greeks were in older dorms, not real frat houses, the Towers dorms were the same size as in the Frats, we had independent kitchens and live band parties. Why go Greek? And you were a d-ck on the football field.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Legit scored 4 TD’s in a hs football game. I was a senior, and the other RB was a junior. We played a triple option offense and I swear he had 75% of the yards in the game but the coaches would call plays to my side at the goal line and I always scored. He was so mad at me because he didn’t score at all, whining and swearing in the huddle on extra point while I just laughed away.
1624589656616.jpeg

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Member of two State Champs teams in Cross Country in CT. Twice all-state as well. Played basketball and soccer as well. Lots of good memories…camaraderie with teammates was the best

Reaction Score
The first time I broke 80.
the most recent .
I needed to par a decent length 18th par 5 for a 79
I thought I hit a decent drive but it ended up in a long shallow trap on the right side of the fairway. If you play my old home course you can’t let sand intimidate you.
I was forced to go club up instead of 3 wood I opted for a 4 hybrid to insure I cleared the lip.
I nailed it but pulled it left into a brutal deep bunker 100 yards from the green. This green is surrounded by two deep bunkers That are death.
I then hit a pitching wedge 10 feet from the cup and and just missed a double sandy birdie which I tapped in for a par. I was amazed how composed I was.
I was in my early 70’s playing a 6700 yard course.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Church league basketball, 5’ 8”, not quick but long arms and can defend. In late 70’s played against Rich Semo who was 2xCT all state HS player from BPT central. I played 1/2 the game. My teammate covering him was getting torched. I subbed in and decided the only way to stop Semo was to not let him get the ball. I kept between him and the ball the entire time I was in. I was a real pest and he was not happy. I kept him scoreless while I was in. (Sorry Rich if you are out there).
rich semo? that's sum hilltopper royalty right thar. as i understand it, among bport's boomer crowd, that name is spoken of in tones of reverence.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Well, when I got selected last for a baseball game at the summer camp, it was for right field. Like, nobody ever hits there. But strangely, though I am a righty, when I batted and got a hit or hit the ball on a fly past the infield, it was often to right field .

I still cannot figure that one out.
you and derek jeter, and me. as mostly a righty, once i figgered out that it was sooo much easier to cut down my swing length, and just shoot the ball that way, i was hooked, and had crazy high averages going forward. not many hr's, but i didn't care, i just wanted, each and every time, to get a hit. good bat, sketchy fielder in the infield, decent outfielder cuz i can run and catch balls in the air.
the inability of pros today to hit it where they ain't in the shift, is pathetic.

Reaction Score
Made to the Class M state finals and lost.

Rod Foster dropped 30 on us.
Would that be 1979 the year my NW Catholic Indians lost to Wilbur Cross? We lost by a point at CCSU. Game was on CPTV. Norman Bailey and Marcus Brown were incredible that year. Norman was a bit of a jerk but Marcus is the nicest guy you'd ever meet. Even now when I run into Marcus he still says what's up. And I was just a skinny little Sophomore then.

Reaction Score
rich semo? that's sum hilltopper royalty right thar. as i understand it, among bport's boomer crowd, that name is spoken of in tones of reverence.
I was shaking in my converses guarding him. Much respect to him.

Reaction Score
Won a conference and state championship in the 500m. Missed going to to New England’s by 1 place….turns out one of the guys I ran against at the state open went on to win a gold at the olympics In the 4x400….and then get stripped of the Gold medal and banned for life for PEDs.

Reaction Score
you and derek jeter, and me. as mostly a righty, once i figgered out that it was sooo much easier to cut down my swing length, and just shoot the ball that way, i was hooked, and had crazy high averages going forward. not many hr's, but i didn't care, i just wanted, each and every time, to get a hit. good bat, sketchy fielder in the infield, decent outfielder cuz i can run and catch balls in the air.
the inability of pros today to hit it where they ain't in the shift, is pathetic.
Maybe, subliminally, that is how I reacted. I don't think I intentionally swung over to right. Maybe it was too hard to take a full swing so my "half" swing was enough to hit it to right. That was of course, when I did not strike out.

Yes, when I hit the ball, I always appreciated an infielder who bobbled the ball so that I could get on base.

Long time ago.

I rarely swung and missed when I played wall ball where I hit a tennis ball against a wall and it came back to me.

Reaction Score
Wow- this Took me back to 1995.
I was in a karate tournament in the GA Dome. First guy I fight is 3” taller then me and kicks me right in the nuts - first move. I get up- pissed off and start ripping through people.
I finally lost and was very upset and the ref said “ second in the world in your belt class is not bad” I had lost in the finals and did not realize it.
Got a trophy as tall as me that’s somewhere in the basement.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Slow pitch, I hit a softball over the war memorial at Riverview Park in Shelton. I've heard guys talk about hitting a baseball over it in high school.

One other time, playing left field (softball) someone ripped a ball over my head. I ran straight back and reached up and grabbed the ball.

What's interesting is that in both instances time slowed down for me as I was making the play. It has happened at other times for me (like avoiding an accident). I have been on a lifetime search to try and create and capture those moments but never have been able to. If I can ever make time slow down (even once) on command I will consider my life complete.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
About 20 years ago or so....

Playing intramural softball while in the Navy. As a lefty I was normally a first basemen. If I had to play outfield I usually chose right since I didn't have the speed for center and left field gets too much action.

Anywho, due to a bunch of no shows and other stuff I'm in RF and a player hits a flare over second basemen's head. Wind was blowing out. Second basemen is running out at full speed and I'm running in. We're both calling for the ball. I'm watching the ball and right as the ball is about to hit my glove, I woke up in the emergency room about an hour later. Second basemen was in the ER bed next to me.

As the story is told to us, right as the ball was coming in to my glove we hit head on at full speed. I was a bit bigger and they said the second basemen instantly went limp and was out. Just fell like a sack of potatoes hitting a wall. I actually caught the ball, stumbled back a step or two and when I went to throw the ball in, I dropped. Neither one of us moved for a minute or so. Both of us KO'd. His face and nose smashed my teeth. I broke his nose and a couple of ribs. He put one of my front teeth in the back of my mouth. Teammates said the sound of us hitting was like a metal bat hitting an oak tree.

Reaction Score
Slow pitch, I hit a softball over the war memorial at Riverview Park in Shelton. I've heard guys talk about hitting a baseball over it in high school.

One other time, playing left field (softball) someone ripped a ball over my head. I ran straight back and reached up and grabbed the ball.

What's interesting is that in both instances time slowed down for me as I was making the play. It has happened at other times for me (like avoiding an accident). I have been on a lifetime search to try and create and capture those moments but never have been able to. If I can ever make time slow down (even once) on command I will consider my life complete.
In the instance with the skillful catch, it sounds like you had good focus and quick reaction time. Sort of like a pilot who makes the right decision in a split second, like Sully Sullenberger. Obviously, he was aware of a problem and had to act very quickly. Proverbially, he "kept his eyes on the ball. " Often, we just have to react in those moments.

Good quality to have. May seem like time slowing down, but maybe you outran time.

Sometimes, time outruns and we don't get a desired result.

Reaction Score
1) In sixth grade my parents dropped me off at the wrong CYO tryout. I was in sixth grade and made the 8th grade team.

2) I was playing JV basketball as a sophomore and playing well. I was taken out of the game in the 4th quarter and brought into the locker room where they had my varsity warmup with my name on the back. I was pumped that I got called up to varsity as a sophomore, only 5' 8". Did not think I was going to see any game time, and low and behold with-in 3 minutes I get thrown in the game against #3 Windsor....I was pumped, I finished with 9 points !...we lost, but never forget that day

Reaction Score
Freshmen year at Tunxis CC baseball, 1979, hit safely in 7 consecutive at bats in doubleheader vs. Middlesex CC. Same year voted team MVP and we made it to championship game of CC NE Regional. Lost to Quinsiggamon (sp?) CC.
Did you play your sophomore year at Tunxis as well? Played for Middlesex in '78 and '80, hoops and baseball. My brother coached baseball in 79 and 80 for Middlesex after being cut by the Mets. We would've played vs each other in 80 if you attended 2 years, but I can honestly say I didn't think Tunxis was very good in 80 don't remember '78, obviously very good in '79. They were good in hoops in '78 ranked in the country when we beat them in a slow down game at Plainville HS. It was in the 40's big upset for us. But as far as baseball in '80 the teams to beat were Housatonic and Manchester if I remember correctly and we beat them both in the double elimination tourney but didn't have the staff to close it and get to the regionals. I had some really good games in both hoops and baseball during my career, had lots of memories and made lots of friends to this day from all over central CT.

Nice job your freshman year though CC baseball was pretty damn good back in those days for sure!

Reaction Score
-Varsity (usually 5th best on team, sometimes the 6th, once the 4th) on the second place cross country team in CT.
-Two-time "Hotshot" champion at a basketball camp in the SE Shoreline CT. (Basically I made a lot of shots around the court and from 3)
-2nd boat, and tried out for 1st boat, on a crew team that sent the first boat to nationals and they went to Croatia too. *Coach wanted to see if I could replace one of the 4 rowers in the first boat but in the end, all 4 stayed the same, I was the only rower who tried out as a possible replacement. I crumpled after that and fell to 3rd boat and for a week, 4th boat before getting back up to 3rd. Years later, this same team is sending multiple rowers to the Olympics and has, in the past, had rowers row for Yale, Harvard, Penn, Stanford, and other excellent rowing Universities.
-Tennis most improved player Senior year
-Was well known for my 3 point prowess during Friday night pick-up games in 9th-12th grade.
-One of only 3 or 4 6th graders to make Varsity basketball in Middle school (6th to 8th grade).
-Played on the Cardinals, a team that won second place in little league.
-Once ran 30km without stopping and did 18km the next day.
-Improved my 5km time, in 11th grade (23+ minutes) to nearly under 18 by 12th grade.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was a bit of a gym rat when at UCONN and ended up in a pick-up game with one of the former UCONN hoops guys. Pretty sure it was Jeff Carr. Anyway, I'm 5'7" and at one point he literally dribbled over the top of my head. I actually played pretty well, but how do you ever recover from something like that.............

Reaction Score
Would that be 1979 the year my NW Catholic Indians lost to Wilbur Cross? We lost by a point at CCSU. Game was on CPTV. Norman Bailey and Marcus Brown were incredible that year. Norman was a bit of a jerk but Marcus is the nicest guy you'd ever meet. Even now when I run into Marcus he still says what's up. And I was just a skinny little Sophomore then.
78-79 season.

Foster was the quickest guy I ever saw. He could also stop on a dime at full speed and get a shot off before you could react.

There were some really good teams and players in the state that year. John Pinone led South Catholic over Harding . I think Bagley was also a senior that year for Harding.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom