Anyone feel like bragging? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Anyone feel like bragging?

Reaction Score
All-State in baseball and state champions my senior year. Still hold (I think) some of the little league records in my town.

Beat Scott Burrell (and a bunch of football players) in an early EA NHL Sega Genesis game when I was 12 or so by repeatedly running the goalie. He was pissed.

Got viciously dunked on, repeatedly, by T-More era Ajou Deng (when he was legit nasty) when UConn used one of my HS math teachers as its go-to SAT tutor.

My middle school baseball ERA was infinity. Two games pitched. Got the yips after hurting my arm as a 7th grader pitching, and walked all six guys I faced that year; all of whom scored because of wild pitches.

Reaction Score
When I was pitching for our office slowpitch team I won our only game late in our season. I have s softball signed by each player to show for it. A major achievement for a person who, when he was a teenager. was almost always the last to be chosen when we chose sides for baseball and often would not be accepted without the other side throwing in an extra player. Also, I was nicknamed Speedy, because I was so slow running. :)

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Threw a rain shortened (4 inning) perfect game vs Glastonbury High sophomore year (JV).

Got called up to in pitch the next game vs East Hartford (back in the early 2000s when they were a baseball powerhouse) and got ROCKED. Those dudes were not impressed with 75 mph “heat” and a predictable curve.

dude East Hartford was so good back then.

Reaction Score
Intramural soccer at UConn, championship game. League was 5 on 5 plus goalies. I was goalie. Nets were not as wide as regulation, but goalies couldn't use hands. Scoreless game, but we're up 1-0 on penalty kicks, when their best player takes the last kick to tie. Goes up in corner to my right. I guess correctly and get my head in front to block, but force of ball knocked other side of my head into post. My next recollection is being several feet off the ground as teammates had picked me up and were tossing me in air to celebrate the win. Spent night in infirmary with a concussion.

On the flip side, during one of our trade shows in Chicago we were staying at the Hilton and I was asked if I wanted to play some pickup hoops with the sales and ops guys at the gym. I passed. Turns out they played against another pickup team that featured MJ. They never let me live that down.
When was this? I graduated 87 and this sounds familiar...

Reaction Score
Struck out 26 in a 10 inning game in my senior year of HS. Won a game in Old Yankee Stadium when the NY College All-stars played the NJ College All stars. Obviously I am not a Uconn grad. Trotted in from the bullpen, pitched a scoreless 9th and NY scored a run in the in the bottom of the inning for a win. Thankfully I did not have to face Mo Vaughn who was on the NJ team.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
When was this? I graduated 87 and this sounds familiar...
'78.

Which was same year I won the 2nd Annual South Campus Poker Tourney ($100 buy in, winner take all). One of the players was later officially ranked by whatever org ranks poker playing. Took about 15 hours.

Of course, it was a bit like the baseball World Series in that only three of the 16 or so South Campus dorms were represented, but still, a good take for a college kid.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i'm amazed at what i've recently- last 3 months discovered - I saw Pete Maravich
's last college game at LSU. Dad took me. NIT. Al McGuire bottled him up with Dean Meminger and 4 others. MSG

as for my athletic prowess .... 12 yo in Little League with 5 HRs & LB in JV. But that's a low bar.

Reaction Score
Beat Kearny (NJ) HS in soccer in a shutout as goalie in their own holiday tournament. We kind of celebrated, but they were collapsed on the field in tears. It was a JV tournament and their varsity team would've killed us with at least one future national team player, but it makes for a story.

Game winning hit with 2 outs to win a softball championship. My teammates mobbed the guy that scored who had reached on an error. I could've left and nobody would've noticed!

Beat a bunch of the UConn BBall team in tennis during a summer class I took for a credit (helped me graduate with the exact number of credits needed and for years I thought they were going to tell me that class shouldn't have counted). None of them were good tennis players. But it was not easy or smart to try to lob over them!

Reaction Score
I made 27 out of 30 free throws in Junior High during a gym class and only took the free throws because the gym teacher forced me to. Next round, several days later, I made 11 out of 30.

I am not an athlete and never was or never will be, and did not play any school sports.

But, my feat made it into the school newspaper with the admiration of some, and the ultimate surprise to myself.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
During UConn spring finals, my dorm Trumbull House challenged Lafayette House to a softball game way back when both dorms were all male and the spot where the Towers student center stands now was a big open field where we played pick up sports. I’m totally right handed. We were killing them and I’d already had a few doubles. So next time up I batted lefty with the bases loaded and slugged a grand slam. A Ruthisn blast. A hard ground ball that got past the outfielders and kept rolling. In my mind it was 400 ft. bomb.

Reaction Score
Matched Earl Kelley bong hit for bong hit one Thursday night, then proceeded to take down Larry Blucher at darts at Teds. I was at the top of my game that night.

Sad how that was amongst the things that prevented Earl from achieving his potential.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
'78.

Which was same year I won the 2nd Annual South Campus Poker Tourney ($100 buy in, winner take all). One of the players was later officially ranked by whatever org ranks poker playing. Took about 15 hours.

Of course, it was a bit like the baseball World Series in that only three of the 16 or so South Campus dorms were represented, but still, a good take for a college kid.
One Saturday we had nothing to do and started a "floating" poker game in an elevator at Ellsworth. We had a keg, and were smoking cigars. Every time we stopped at a floor a cloud of smoke poured out of the elevator. People could ride so long and they didn't comment on the hands. After a few hours we "allowed" other guys to buy our seats at the table. I think we all ended up coming out ahead after the buy outs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When I was pitching for our office slowpitch team and won our only game late in our season. I have s softball signed by each player to show for it. A major achievement for a person who. when he was a teenager. was almost always the last to be chosen when we chose sides for baseball and often would not be accepted without the other side throwing in an extra player. Also I was nicknamed Speedy, because I was so slow running. :)
Love this. I always hated the selection process when we were kids.

Reaction Score
Love this. I always hated the selection process when we were kids.
Well, when I got selected last for a baseball game at the summer camp, it was for right field. Like, nobody ever hits there. But strangely, though I am a righty, when I batted and got a hit or hit the ball on a fly past the infield, it was often to right field .

I still cannot figure that one out.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
My HS soccer team was filthy - Wethersfield HS. My junior and senior year, we went back to back state champs. Junior year, I scored the game winning goal in the state final. Senior year, I had the game winning assist in the state final.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Played golf with Calhoun in a scramble. Needed to use at least two drives from each player. Used one of mine on a par 3 but with only two holes left I needed a decent drive. I hit one down the middle about a hundred yards. Calhoun drove the green. Calhoun obviously wanted to use his drive and who was I to disagree. On our last hole I hit about a 200 yard drive down the middle, my only decent drive in eighteen holes and said something to the effect of I needed the pressure to perform. Calhoun‘s drive was 50 yards beyond mine, he laughed and said “No Pressure”. We used my drive and won the tournament.

Reaction Score
During UConn spring finals, my dorm Trumbull House challenged Lafayette House to a softball game way back when both dorms were all male and the spot where the Towers student center stands now was a big open field where we played pick up sports. I’m totally right handed. We were killing them and I’d already had a few doubles. So next time up I batted lefty with the bases loaded and slugged a grand slam. A Ruthisn blast. A hard ground ball that got past the outfielders and kept rolling. In my mind it was 400 ft. bomb.
all-male small dorms like Lafayette were pseudo frat houses - good times, free meals if you waitered. played IM football on that field. got in many good licks playing line; disliked by the opponents, loved by my teammates.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Legit scored 4 TD’s in a hs football game. I was a senior, and the other RB was a junior. We played a triple option offense and I swear he had 75% of the yards in the game but the coaches would call plays to my side at the goal line and I always scored. He was so mad at me because he didn’t score at all, whining and swearing in the huddle on extra point while I just laughed away.

Reaction Score
Legit scored 4 TD’s in a hs football game. I was a senior, and the other RB was a junior. We played a triple option offense and I swear he had 75% of the yards in the game but the coaches would call plays to my side at the goal line and I always scored. He was so mad at me because he didn’t score at all, whining and swearing in the huddle on extra point while I just laughed away.

Al Bundy over here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom