Anyone feel like bragging? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Anyone feel like bragging?

Reaction Score
I was fortunate enough to have a ton of good memories and games from little league baseball to legion, HS, college to Greater Hartford Twilight (other twilights) league for many years. In hoops Meriden Boys Club Cuno and CYO, Jr Pro team to HS and CC college, City Leagues from Meriden to Springfield. But the best of them is maybe LL baseball 16-0 in 3 years pitching (ruined my arm not kidding had a great curveball but shouldn't have been throwing it so much that young) batted .759 my last year 12 years old still have the batting trophy and in 4 all star games had 6 HRs and was 22 for 28 in those games, 12 yr old last year. We got to the state semis only to lose to a team from Southington (McCabe i believe) who we beat in a practice game a couple weeks prior 23-1 - we lost 3-2 kid was tough on the mound. Later played for SHS against him. Also had 11 straights hits in 3 games my senior year in HS which included a 6 for 6 game against cross town rival Platt HS and who would be my legion buddies the summer. It was after a 4-4 game and I did get a hit in my first AB in the tourney after the Platt game making it 11 straight. Won a Greater Twilight League title for Katz Sports Shop of Meriden in the first year the GHTL let us in. Lot's of legion and Babe Ruth success individually and team, which I am more proud of as all these days were blessed with many new friends in life which I still share memories with. Hoops junior pro went to the regional finals only to lose to a Boston team by 1 or else we were going to Rupp Arena for the nationals. The 11-12 year olds on that team did get there the next year finishing 3rd in the nation. I did have 21 vs Boston in the loss but it honestly still hurts wanted Rupp Arena bad lol. Had lots of solid games in HS, as someone said above one of the best memories was soph year on JV being taken out at the end of the 3rd quarter to suit up for varsity in a game vs Bristol Eastern was exciting. I had 28 in 3 quarters of the JV game so they expected me to say hot. Only had 8 in a few minutes but took down 9 boards too which I was more happy about. Had a few nice games the rest of HS career and even some at Middlesex with maybe my 17 and a 24 in 2 games vs a really good Mattatuck CC/Waterbury team being the ones that stood out. Al "Skinner" Fredericks later of UConn fame was on that team, great great guy as I've said before.

So much fun you tend to miss those days, the competitive nature stayed until about 28 or so when I realized the kids coming in were just better. But if I had to brag about something more than other it was the camaraderie from kids leagues to later on in life. The friends I made who had that same nature to get pumped up for a weekend doubleheader in New London CT vs the Vagabonds, or a city league championship hoops game even as we got older but loved the game. I remain good friends with many who shared these days and those times and man, those were the days!!

Cool to read these, nice job Kitaman!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
East Bank Club?
I had to look up the East Bank Club as I am in Chicago a lot.
WOW. This club is ridiculous. Might be the biggest fitness club I've ever seen. Has everything.
The outdoor pool location in amazing and has room for hundreds of people.
The cardio room has HUNDREDS of treadmills.
Pretty amazing.
I'll have to go the next time I'm in the area.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
My HS freshman team went 9-0 in football, 15-0 in bball, and 9-0 in baseball before we lost a game. I had a great seat on the bench for all of it. My best streak is coming back to CT/Cape Cod for 21 straight years to have a golf weekend with seven of my best buddies from growing up.

Reaction Score
1984. My single mom had moved us out to southern California. I didn't want to move away from the east coast. We get there and these kids at my new school start picking on me. They were all in this local karate dojo and liked bullying everyone. One day, I'm getting beat up pretty good and the superintendent at the apartment building we had moved into jumps in and saves me. Nice guy. Older, Asian fellow. Anyway, long story short....he gets the sensei from the gang's dojo to stop picking on me, if I agree to enter the local karate tournament.

I did a lot of training the next few months and actually met this hot rich girl and we really hit it off. Fast forward to the tourney and, I used all the tactics my coach had taught me and, you're not gonna believe this.....I won the entire tournament. 1984 All Valley Karate Tournament Champ.

Reaction Score
1984. My single mom had moved us out to southern California. I didn't want to move away from the east coast. We get there and these kids at my new school start picking on me. They were all in this local karate dojo and liked bullying everyone. One day, I'm getting beat up pretty good and the superintendent at the apartment building we had moved into jumps in and saves me. Nice guy. Older, Asian fellow. Anyway, long story short....he gets the sensei from the gang's dojo to stop picking on me, if I agree to enter the local karate tournament.

I did a lot of training the next few months and actually met this hot rich girl and we really hit it off. Fast forward to the tourney and, I used all the tactics my coach had taught me and, you're not gonna believe this.....I won the entire tournament. 1984 All Valley Karate Tournament Champ.
Deepster for the win. Drops the mic. Might as well close this thread

Reaction Score

grasshopper on leaf - background template. - grasshopper stock pictures, royalty-free photos & images

Reaction Score
Summer of 1999 @ Camp Lakeland. Color War

Every Color War we have a massive SOCK GAME tournament. Every kid in my age group plays. Essentially you have a sock hanging out of your shorts, if your sock gets grabbed you get eliminated. You can't use your hands to block so you need be shifty and quick OR lurk in the corners until the very end.

This is color war so there are four total teams so there is some team strategy involved.

Fast forward to the very end and it's me versus two kids on the same team. They inexplicably split up in attempt to trap me. Bad move. I pulled both socks and won the game.

Best moment ever.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I actually caught the ball, stumbled back a step or two and when I went to throw the ball in, I dropped.
Haha, unconscious auto pilot. Love it when it takes a second for your brain to say "yeah... I'm just going to take a nap now."

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I beat Cliff Robinson in darts at Ted's.

I did that, but it was fooseball and he was playing with Jeff King.

Aside from that:
  • Played a midnight intramural basketball game while hammered. Whole team (21st birthday for one player). Lost like 78-24, but it was memorable!
  • Was on intramural championship soccer and flag football teams at UConn (lots of track guys in the dorm), and a team that lost the championship game in softball to a team with three varsity baseball players (we had one).
  • Dominated corporate league volleyball in Santa Clara Cty CA. I was once a pretty good 2 on 2 beach volleyball player, and few of those “casual” volleyballers could return my topspin jump serve.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I forgot winning a sit up championship in elementary school. I was super skinny, could do all sorts of moves on the gymnastics rings etc. because I was so light. Won the situp competition for the school, something over 1000 in a row. I might manage a dozen now.

Reaction Score
What is your most memorable sports moment as a player or teammate? Any All State/American awardees? Any champions?

I have 2 memories:

Played HS football on a freshman team that was undefeated, unscored upon and beat the HS varsity team (who also didn't score). 12-0

Won an MVP award for basketball during a summer tournament. Was hot as hell hitting bombs from deep. Trophy award felt great, nice crowd outdoors in a public park.
As a kid I was well above average, I suppose. My LL all star team won 6 games when I was 11 and when twelve we got to Williamsport; but alas, didn't even win 1 game. Back in the Taiwan days.

And that was the peak. The pyramid narrows very rapidly by 16.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did you play your sophomore year at Tunxis as well? Played for Middlesex in '78 and '80, hoops and baseball. My brother coached baseball in 79 and 80 for Middlesex after being cut by the Mets. We would've played vs each other in 80 if you attended 2 years, but I can honestly say I didn't think Tunxis was very good in 80 don't remember '78, obviously very good in '79. They were good in hoops in '78 ranked in the country when we beat them in a slow down game at Plainville HS. It was in the 40's big upset for us. But as far as baseball in '80 the teams to beat were Housatonic and Manchester if I remember correctly and we beat them both in the double elimination tourney but didn't have the staff to close it and get to the regionals. I had some really good games in both hoops and baseball during my career, had lots of memories and made lots of friends to this day from all over central CT.

Nice job your freshman year though CC baseball was pretty damn good back in those days for sure!
Yes, played in 1980 but we fell off. Housatonic and Manchester both very tough in ‘79 and 80. In fact, we beat Manchester in 79 to make regionals as an 8 seed in an 8 team tourney. We upset 1 seed Mass Bay CC. And I recall you guys upsetting the ‘78 basketball team. That was huge for you guys. Good times and good memories.

Reaction Score
Coach:

Never had a losing season as a basketball coach in AAU or HS. In games I head coached my record is (I think) 41-17. As an assistant no idea... but AAU tourneys are filled with terrible teams most of the time so it's gotta be solid.

2 state chamionships in track and field. 1 in XC (boys and girls are coached together)

Player:

Basketball? Nothing. I sucked. Was the best player on my hs team but that doesn't mean much when you move up. Went to a d2 school for basketball but basically never played. Got a partial scholarship my last 2 years though.

17-2 record as an amateur boxer s more of an accomplishment. Competed from age 16-23.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All conference basketball player here in Nebraska and went to college in Lincoln and made friends with Husker basketball player Thomas Allen (Brewster academy kid).

one time in the summer he texted me and told me they don’t have enough guys at their team open gym workout at the training facility so he asked me to come play. Played with him, Isaiah Roby, James Palmer Jr., etc.

Best day of my life

Reaction Score
Many of you have impressive stories/resumes..I can't compete with them but here are a few things I remember.

HS FB team was 24-2 for the three years I played.. Starter two years..Turned down D1 FB scholarships and went to a JUCO where many D1 recruits went to strengthen their academics and play for a season Our schedule was ranked as one of the toughest in the country.Didn't go out for team first year. "Walked on" after second game of second season and ended up leading team in tackles (MLB/DG)

Street ball/pick up BB player.. Shot 10 for 10 one game ..(game to 10) ..No shots under 15 ft. Regularly played with scholarship BB players in pick up games.

Played 2-man wallyball (volleyball inside a racquetball court) with an Olympic VB player who was my teammate. Fast game. Many VB Tournament stories.

Flipped a racing boat twice going 40MPH and survived.

Two-time cancer survivor.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Many of you have impressive stories/resumes..I can't compete with them but here are a few things I remember.

HS FB team was 24-2 for the three years I played.. Starter two years..Turned down D1 FB scholarships and went to a JUCO where many D1 recruits went to strengthen their academics and play for a season Our schedule was ranked as one of the toughest in the country.Didn't go out for team first year. "Walked on" after second game of second season and ended up leading team in tackles (MLB/DG)

Street ball/pick up BB player.. Shot 10 for 10 one game ..(game to 10) ..No shots under 15 ft. Regularly played with scholarship BB players in pick up games.

Played 2-man wallyball (volleyball inside a racquetball court) with an Olympic VB player who was my teammate. Fast game. Many VB Tournament stories.

Flipped a racing boat twice going 40MPH and survived.

Two-time cancer survivor.

Lots of cool stuff and impressive but the most is the 2 time cancer survivor....God Bless and continued health.;)

Reaction Score
one other - around 1979 Spring

Alumni has a 6 on 6 soccer tournament where each floor had teams. I scored a hat trick (3 goals) against a Team with Jimmy Lynam + 2 other UCONN scholarship kids. I suspect they were stoned.

Reaction Score
Ran track for UConn 08-13'. Sophomore year won the 1000m Big East Championship despite being a heavy underdog to 2 ND Seniors who had run sub 4 min. miles that season. I ended up getting so much p&^%y from winning that race. Jk, but I do know a guy that did.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 9.41.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 9.41.03 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 97

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Brief pause at the bottom of page 1 to note how much I'm enjoying this thread, and to acknowledge the OP for specifically soliciting "bragging," which has invited all manner of passion & pride from others, without me judging negatively when somebody brags.

Thanks to all.

Nothing I've ever done in sports competition has ever felt as good as felling by chainsaw a mature walnut tree that split at chest height, and having it make as a perfectly-fitting diagonal across my front yard, with one side dropping atop the other and snapping at the V with the most perfect CRACK sound I've ever heard.

Reaction Score
... Graduate from UCONN in 1979 then after a summer of hitchhiking europe with UConn buddies; I got hired by GE in their FMP program. Realized early on, I am not going to be a cost accounting/auditing star. Peers went onto
CEO Honeywell + CEO Pebble Beach (*still there today) ... but I was the Organizer of the FMP softball team. a dozen guys from all over the US landed in Lynn, Massachusetts plant making military aircraft engines of 24,000 employees. One team of newly grad college kids against ... Union guys. When the UNION relations often were harsh and troubling. Spikes were worn

We did well. We had shirts sponsored by a local strip club in Everett (you know Tim ... that was probably not a shrewd longterm move). My greatest contribution? Got Bob ... (I don't remember his name). Bob was UCONN's shortstop my senior year and he was getting a MBA from BU. His girlfriend Sue (then wife) was a dear friend of mine. I did not know Bob that well. We would sweat his appearance every game coming to Lynn from Comm Ave. We had an incredible shortstop. Lots of long home runs. And ... yes ... that is what I am good at. Plucking one guy to fill in.

Reaction Score
one other - around 1979 Spring

Alumni has a 6 on 6 soccer tournament where each floor had teams. I scored a hat trick (3 goals) against a Team with Jimmy Lynam + 2 other UCONN scholarship kids. I suspect they were stoned.
easy guess

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom