Anyone feel like bragging? | The Boneyard

Anyone feel like bragging?

Reaction Score
What is your most memorable sports moment as a player or teammate? Any All State/American awardees? Any champions?

I have 2 memories:

Played HS football on a freshman team that was undefeated, unscored upon and beat the HS varsity team (who also didn't score). 12-0

Won an MVP award for basketball during a summer tournament. Was hot as hell hitting bombs from deep. Trophy award felt great, nice crowd outdoors in a public park.

Reaction Score
i was watching a football game once and said “look for a pass here” to no one in particular.

as i had predicted, the team subsequently passed the ball.

the rest of the room acted indifferently, but i was quietly very pleased with myself.

Reaction Score
My most memorable plays were in rec softball when I was in my twenties. I made a great catch from right center with my back to the plate to win a playoff game in a morning modified league I was in at Mill Woods in Wethersfield.

I also started a two out rally when we were down by 4 runs in the bottom of the 7th on another team. We ended up winning the game and others said if I could get a hit, then they knew that they could. That team was 24-1. Unfortunately, we played in some tournaments against big bashers and got smoked. We were good but we didn't have enough homerun hitters for tournaments.

I sure miss playing softball.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Threw a rain shortened (4 inning) perfect game vs Glastonbury High sophomore year (JV).

Got called up to in pitch the next game vs East Hartford (back in the early 2000s when they were a baseball powerhouse) and got ROCKED. Those dudes were not impressed with 75 mph “heat” and a predictable curve.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Played HS football on a freshman team that was undefeated, unscored upon and beat the HS varsity team (who also didn't score). 12-0
1624551592686.png

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As a coach - three state championships, three state finalists. Overall 20 + trophies added to the school's trophy collection. Actually had to build two new cases :)

</brag>
You should have seen if you could have bought a used one from Rutgers. They aren't using theirs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Player (I'm a 5'9 "glue guy" and went to a high school w/ 3000 kids so 0% I could make the team. Played in a town rec league from grades 5-12. Below are my high school basketball memories:
  • Broke my nose warming up before a basketball game. Got blood all over the court.
  • Got hot one game, led a 9-0 run in the last 90 seconds of the game, including the game winner. Hit the first two threes, took the final three but didn't see it go in, thought I missed it. A kid on the other team said nice shot so I got in his face, but only when my teammates were around me did I realize I made the shot. Felt like a jerk and apologized to the kid after the game.
College player memories during UConn Intramurals/pick-up games:
  • Was the leading scorer in an intramural game. Scored 3 points.
As an adult:
  • Hit a three against the Harlem Wizards.
Coaching
  • Cross-country:
    • Dozens of conference champions. Nothing due to my coaching, but just fun to have coached a lot of talented runners.
  • Basketball:
    • Was the 5/6 coach for a team that eventually became an undefeated a 7/8 squad. One of those kids is currently playing D3.
    • A recent graduate entered our program as a 5th grader with no experience. Now, he's starting in high school and often mentions how I helped start his love for basketball. Feels awesome.
  • Baseball/softball:
    • Coached against Mariano Rivera and Allen Houston's sons. Allen's son was very good but Mo's son was awful, go figure.
    • Went 7-1 in softball one year where literally none of my players had game experience. Just a bunch of super athletic soccer players who adjusted to the game super quickly.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I once got dominated by one of the Women's team walk-ons while playing pickup basketball at the rec center. I still have nightmares of her splashing three pointers from every spot on the floor with me right in her face.
Yeah yeah at least you didn't get beat in a road race by Oprah and some guy dressed like a lighthouse.

Reaction Score
My most satisfying was a softball game at Club Med at Turks and Caicos. Our team played a bunch of loudmouth NYers. I was the catcher and a guy named Ira tried to take me out at home on a relay from short. I was only about 180 at the time but was blocking the plate. I lowered my shoulder and knocked him back. He didn't look too good after that as he went to lay under the palm trees.

I also won the beer drinking contest with some people in the audience yelling "no fair, he's a pro". good times

Reaction Score
My most satisfying was a softball game at Club Med at Turks and Caicos. Our team played a bunch of loudmouth NYers. I was the catcher and a guy named Ira tried to take me out at home on a relay from short. I was only about 180 at the time but was blocking the plate. I lowered my shoulder and knocked him back. He didn't look too good after that as he went to lay under the palm trees.

I also won the beer drinking contest with some people in the audience yelling "no fair, he's a pro". good times
Someone tried taking out the catcher at a Club Med pickup softball game? I would have been going base to base with a margarita in one hand.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
4 on 4 touch football game, 1970. three of my best friends, including a Trinity offensive lineman and his girl friend, and I defeated 4 guys from Trinity's football team, including the starting middle linebacker. I threw the winning pass to Holly. The next week they played us again, and we won again. Passing game only.

Reaction Score
Someone tried taking out the catcher at a Club Med pickup softball game? I would have been going base to base with a margarita in one hand.
That is the part that I couldn't understand. Club Med is usually pretty laid back but I was blocking the plate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom