Antwoine Anderson UCONN Commit | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Antwoine Anderson UCONN Commit

Reaction Score
This kid is a win for the staff. He's a good player and one who obviously wants to compete for a team with some history. I'm guessing he could've gone to a lower tier school and taken over the PG spot playing the same 33 mines a game he had at Fordham....but instead, knowing the Huskies have Adams, Gilbert and Vital he elects to come to UConn and be part of what could be a very good backcourt knowing his minutes will vary.

There is nothing bad about this and anyone thinking otherwise is completely irrational.

Reaction Score
Looks like we were his dream school. Always gotta love when that's the case with a kid

Also, don't tell Antwoine that this is a rebuilding year

IMG_4675.jpg

Reaction Score
This is a nice pickup and gives us some much needed depth and veteran toughness in the backcourt. I also like that he's a lefty. I'd now love to see the staff add a stud wing to get time with Terry. Welcome Antwoine!

Reaction Score
This is a nice pickup and gives us some much needed depth and veteran toughness in the backcourt. I also like that he's a lefty. I'd now love to see the staff add a stud wing to get time with Terry. Welcome Antwoine!

I think with this kid and the other 3 guards you can play the full court press defense, Like the Calhoun days. That's what they are thinking of
i'm sure.

Reaction Score
Don't tell Adams, Gilbert, Vital, Larrier, Antoine, KO, Chill, Kill, Ricky and all the kids coming in it's a rebuilding year either.;)

Or the walkons, ballboys, waterboys and maintenance crew.

Reaction Score
We don't press anymore. The game has changed. Too many good ballhandlers and pressing is exhausting for the defense.

This is a good pick up because we get a guy that can play rather than a high school kid that might be able to play. Simple as that. We need guys to play immediately.

Reaction Score
We don't press anymore. The game has changed. Too many good ballhandlers and pressing is exhausting for the defense.

This is a good pick up because we get a guy that can play rather than a high school kid that might be able to play. Simple as that. We need guys to play immediately.
agreed, we just need a high end power forward grad, Rebounding put backs and a mid range game. I hope they are working on that

Reaction Score
Is a grad transfer Anderson better for UConn next year than a freshman MAL?
That's a stretch, maybe for just next year, but MAL looks like a special college player...

Reaction Score

Somebody better tell Bob Huggins to stop pressing because the game has changed and his players get too tired to press.

Reaction Score
Bob Huggins is a good coach but, let me know when Bob Huggins wins something. The last pressing team to win a National Championship was UK in 1996. We've been to 5 Final Fours since then without pressing anyone.

These days, you press because you are overmatched or because you are an outlier (Huggins). Otherwise, you better be 10-12 deep. Just very unlikely to happen unless we accept that we can no longer get top talent and decide to be a pain in the ass team to play that never wins big in March.

Last edited:

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Somebody better tell Bob Huggins to stop pressing because the game has changed and his players get too tired to press.
1. He's an outlier
2. In the last 20 years he's made it as far as the Elite 8 exactly once

Good teams rip the press apart. I do think Anderson can allow us to do some fun stuff with picking up at half court, or just having him hound the primary ball handler for 75 feet, but it's not going to be an old-fashioned, Calhoun-style 221 or anything like that. Even Calhoun was done with that by about '94.

Reaction Score
I like the idea of using the press as a tempo changer or to throw a different look at somebody for a few possessions. Go mostly man, but throw in some presses, traps and some zones during the game to change things up. There were a couple of times where UConn went to a 1-3-1 this year that was very effective for a few possessions before the other team figured out how to attack it.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I like the idea of using the press as a tempo changer or to throw a different look at somebody for a few possessions. Go mostly man, but throw in some presses, traps and some zones during the game to change things up. There were a couple of times where UConn went to a 1-3-1 this year that was very effective for a few possessions before the other team figured out how to attack it.
Agree 100%. That said, I think Anderson has real potential as a guy who exists to tire out the opponent's primary ball-handler. Use him as a hound who empties in his tank defensively in 12-15 minutes a night, and make it so the opponent's most important guard has nothing left for the final five minutes. Ruin Shake Milton's life.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Bob Huggins is a good coach but, let me know when Bob Huggins wins something. The last pressing team to win a National Championship was UK in 1996. We've been to 5 Final Fours since then without pressing anyone.

These days, you press because you are overmatched or because you are an outlier (Huggins). Otherwise, you better be 10-12 deep. Just very unlikely to happen unless we accept that we can no longer get top talent and decide to be a pain in the ass team to play that never wins big in March.

Louisville 2013. And WVU was very good last year, mostly because of the press. We need to employ a press. Not all game, but a fair bit of it. It's disruptive to offenses that use the clock and rely on ball movement, but most of all it generates easy offense.

If you've got a top 10 team talent wise, with great scorers and shooters, then maybe it will do nothing but tire those guys. But if you've got a marginal shooting team, with lots of interchangeable parts and few stars, it is a fantastic equalizer allowing you to beat better teams. That's UConn next year.

Reaction Score
Take the Waters talk to the Waters thread.

Welcome Antwoine! Love that he's a pest defensively (top 200 steal rate). Maybe we get a little press action going this year?

If he brings his shooting up just a bit in each category, I think he'll be a real solid contributor this year.

I'd love to see a press and trying to play a bit faster in general, unfortunately Ollie has never really shown much inclination to get out and run more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom