Another Shoe drops in the North Carolina Fiasco | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Another Shoe drops in the North Carolina Fiasco

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The other great UNC bashing thread got hijacked and ultimately locked. hopefully this thread will remain focused on bashing UNC ;)

Yeah it's not like a decade-long mission by the senior administration to cover up child rape.

Yes, the one was committed by one individual and stupidly covered up by two criminally for which they are being prosecuted. The other involved numerous faculty and students participating in almost two decades of defrauding the members of the NCAA, the student body, employers and the taxpayer.

cman.jpg

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — Former University of North Carolina head football coach Butch Davis believes he is being scapegoated by his former university as it deals with the largest academic fraud scandal in the history of college sports. (Fox)

Poor thing; I feel for him.
Tell him; someone's gotta take the fall.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — Former University of North Carolina head football coach Butch Davis believes he is being scapegoated by his former university as it deals with the largest academic fraud scandal in the history of college sports. (Fox)

Poor thing; I feel for him.
Tell him; someone's gotta take the fall.
If they annoy him enough he may just let fly with everything he knows! They have to be a wee bit careful in how they treat the folks they dump, because I am sure they have more skeletons.

Reaction Score
Yes, the one was committed by one individual and stupidly covered up by two criminally for which they are being prosecuted. The other involved numerous faculty and students participating in almost two decades of defrauding the members of the NCAA, the student body, employers and the taxpayer.

Sorry Icebear but rape is worse than cheating even if it went on so long, heaven only knows how long the rapes went on. I know you stick up for PEnn State, but really.

Reaction Score
Tremendous exposure here with the potential of many lawsuits..... denial of a proper education is an eggregious shortcoming.

a couple of things amuse me here in a bad way

the guy who was broomed from UNC because he had too much help wriitng his papers

and Roy Williams..... who at every turn insists his innocence.... and that he does everything the right way...... football coaches have 100 people to look after .... hoops coaches have but 15

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Sorry Icebear but rape is worse than cheating even if it went on so long, heaven only knows how long the rapes went on. I know you stick up for PEnn State, but really.
No, I 'm sticking up for the facts as they were and are known. Maybe you missed the news reports today on the complicity of the NCAA in the Freeh report. LINK

I have never excused Sandusky, and make no apologies or justifications for any of his action. They are abhorant and inexcusable. I completely hold Curley and Schultz culpable for their actions and that they are being taken to court on charges. The NCAA made the whole thing a greater mess. They now are facing vulnerability to suit because of their actions outside of their charter.

It is increasingly clear that Joe and others never knew anything of Sandusky's actions. The former governor to be Corbett has now said that Joe's termination was in haste and probably not warranted.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I do not want to intrude into the moral weigh in on Sandusky Paterno PSU et al that has slipped in here. But to address the academic scandal that is college athletics and the UNC Cheats in particular, may I suggest that the next investigator look at what institutional mechanisms were in place over these many years that examined the question of what number of credits or hours were assigned to the classes in question. Admittedly, I attended an institution of higher learning that was far higher that this aprticular one under our microscopes, but I thin the model was and remains a universal one. To wit, every once and a while, there is an interdepartmental academic review of the content of each course and a recertification of the course and its credit hours. Not so at UNC Cheat? That is why I think there is a far larger shoe to fall at that University and it should fall on a lot of people far higher up.

Reaction Score
I do not want to intrude into the moral weigh in on Sandusky Paterno PSU et al that has slipped in here. But to address the academic scandal that is college athletics and the UNC Cheats in particular, may I suggest that the next investigator look at what institutional mechanisms were in place over these many years that examined the question of what number of credits or hours were assigned to the classes in question. Admittedly, I attended an institution of higher learning that was far higher that this aprticular one under our microscopes, but I thin the model was and remains a universal one. To wit, every once and a while, there is an interdepartmental academic review of the content of each course and a recertification of the course and its credit hours. Not so at UNC Cheat? That is why I think there is a far larger shoe to fall at that University and it should fall on a lot of people far higher up.

I agree completely that we have not seen a thorough investigation of the UNC mess. Once some administrators have to testify, I believe the rats will run for cover.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
College accrediting agency sends letter to UNC (AP)

The News and Observer thought it would be relatively benign.

loneycafe

Go Pack! #GTHC
Reaction Score
Adding this story from The Daily Tar Heel. It relates to UNC WBB.

More evidence emerges on Jan Boxill

Emails show Boxill, a philosophy professor, offered 160 independent study courses between spring 2004 and spring 2012, according to records obtained by The Daily Tar Heel. . . .

UNC women’s basketball coach Sylvia Hatchell said Boxill completely oversaw the teams’ academics, making herself available for players at all hours of the day. Hatchell said she never saw any red flags. . . .

Marc Lange, the current chairman of the philosophy department said independent studies are uncommon because the department has wide course offerings. Geoffrey Sayre-McCord, chairman of the department between 2001 and 2011, said more than 150 independent studies is an unusually large number.

“Why would a student take an independent study?” Lange said. “It’s only for extraordinarily well-qualified students for whom the course material is too elementary.”

Public records show Boxill would sometimes offer multiple students independent study courses each semester; for example, in spring 2005 she taught 20. UNC’s Public Records Office would not distinguish how many students enrolled in Boxill’s independent studies were student-athletes.

The emails released by Wainstein show some student-athletes were enrolled and steered to her courses — but his report doesn’t mention it.
Also, it appears that, though Boxill has been removed as director of the university's ethics center, she is still employed at UNC. In the past week or so, she attended a retirement ceremony for a colleague and sat at the same table with UNC Chancellor Carol Folt.

Reaction Score

Emails show Boxill, a philosophy professor, offered 160 independent study courses between spring 2004 and spring 2012, according to records obtained by The Daily Tar Heel. . . .

UNC women’s basketball coach Sylvia Hatchell said Boxill completely oversaw the teams’ academics, making herself available for players at all hours of the day. Hatchell said she never saw any red flags. . . .

Marc Lange, the current chairman of the philosophy department said independent studies are uncommon because the department has wide course offerings. Geoffrey Sayre-McCord, chairman of the department between 2001 and 2011, said more than 150 independent studies is an unusually large number.

“Why would a student take an independent study?” Lange said. “It’s only for extraordinarily well-qualified students for whom the course material is too elementary.”

Public records show Boxill would sometimes offer multiple students independent study courses each semester; for example, in spring 2005 she taught 20. UNC’s Public Records Office would not distinguish how many students enrolled in Boxill’s independent studies were student-athletes.

The emails released by Wainstein show some student-athletes were enrolled and steered to her courses — but his report doesn’t mention it.
Also, it appears that, though Boxill has been removed as director of the university's ethics center, she is still employed at UNC. In the past week or so, she attended a retirement ceremony for a colleague and sat at the same table with UNC Chancellor Carol Folt.

This proves that UNC doesn't get it. How can Boxill still be employed by UNC, let alone sit at a table next to the Chancellor. This is arrogance beyond belief!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
lonecafe - wow! The scandal spreads! It would certainly appear that the lady who said 'yeah I am pretty sure it is plagiarized but all she needs is a 'D' to a department secretary in AFAM for one WCBB player might reasonably be suspected of running similar grading systems in her own 'independent study for athletes' program in philosophy. And ... did dear Geoffrey the department head notice 160 'rare' independent study classes being taught by a single instructor within his department and do no investigation?!
When I went to school, if you wanted to create an independent study course for yourself, you had to write a pretty detailed synopsis of what you were interested in researching and then in a series of meetings with your selected professor refine that study, and defend the necessity to do the work as an independent course as opposed to within an offered regular class. And then over the course of the semester have weekly meetings to discuss the work to date, any adjustments to the study, and the progress towards the final result. You had to find a professor willing to devote 20+ hours of their time outside of their regular course responsibilities to a single student. The idea that a professor would do 20 such courses in a single year would have been ludicrous - the fact that the department head for Philosophy, the fellow faculty and any administrators in the department would not question such a work load (or would be unaware that it existed) is unbelievable. In AFAM we know the department head was complicit - I don't suggest the same level of complicity, but at the minimum willful 'ignorance'.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
This proves that UNC doesn't get it. How can Boxill still be employed by UNC, let alone sit at a table next to the Chancellor. This is arrogance beyond belief!
Oh they get it all right. You can just imagine what Boxill could spill if she has any incentive to do so. These players didn't just drop into her lap, as the steering emails indicate and that could lead eventually to a coach. Still may come to that though if charges are brought against her and she has to cut a deal.

And yes the coaches will always express shock and horror ("I knew nothing, nothing"), but whether it's the cheating or the rapes, and whether they are the intentionally-shielded do-it-but-don't-tell-me-anything types or the guy who knows when the smallest mouse farts on his campus but somehow has never heard even one vague rumor about his predator coach even after numerous investigated incidents, they are still ultimately responsible.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting that the linked article is from the Daily Tar Heel - most of the stories and comments thereon from the DTH I have read are more defensive - this one is pretty blunt in its implications and the responses are all VERY sharply worded.

Reaction Score
This is bad and it is only going to get worse as more information is uncovered.

Someone should remind the UNC administration that while the crime is bad enough ignoring it, covering it up or trying to cover it up just makes everything worse.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Like Watergate, almost every day, drip, drip, drip.

Soon, very soon, the administration will be forced out of its hole.

Some supervising agency: the Governor a legislator, The US Senate or House, FBI, State Police, an ambitious prosecutor, member of the board, Accrediting organizations, even the timid and broken NCAA…someone will demand answers and later scalps.

And the longer the Admin stonewalls, the worse it will be.

loneycafe

Go Pack! #GTHC
Reaction Score
One of the insiders who has been dropping tidbits about developments at UNC posted on Pack Pride a few moments ago that UNC leaders/influencers are divided on Boxill. The poster is credible.

three factions:
1 People that want a Clean Sweep and feel that Boxill needs to go, along with some coaches. They like Boxill and the coaches but love restoring the integrity of the university more.

2 People that think firing/retiring Boxill will be final nail that brings down all banners and will result in great penalties to UNC far beyond what they think is deserved. SACS and NCAA watching the Boxill saga.

3. Lawyers on both sides of the issue and PR firms (plural intended) are waging war in support of both groups.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

t

The Prof makes a telling point. Independent study is suppose to be more rigorous than normal course work. Red flags should have been going up left and right about the athletes in these so called independent study courses; not to mention the impossible work load it would represent for Boxill!

More evidence pointing to complicity by those higher up in the organization. Boxill plainly has the goods on all sorts of people and will be well taken care of. Nixon thought Watergate could be contained, too.

Last edited:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Yes, the scandal at PSU was an outrage. Now would someone please explain what this has to do in any way, shape or form with the outrageous scandal at UNC? Does it really matter whether one is worse than the other? Does the behavior of the involved individuals at PSU in any way affect the culpability of the involved individuals at UNC? If so, how? And if not, why in the name of common sense do people insist on dragging the PSU case into a thread about UNC? Really, what is the point?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Like Watergate, almost every day, drip, drip, drip.

Soon, very soon, the administration will be forced out of its hole.

Some supervising agency: the Governor a legislator, The US Senate or House, FBI, State Police, an ambitious prosecutor, member of the board, Accrediting organizations, even the timid and broken NCAA…someone will demand answers and later scalps.

And the longer the Admin stonewalls, the worse it will be.
Maybe Duke could volunteer to conduct the investigation for UNC.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Interesting that the linked article is from the Daily Tar Heel - most of the stories and comments thereon from the DTH I have read are more defensive - this one is pretty blunt in its implications and the responses are all VERY sharply worded.

Right on all counts. Some of the comments are very enlightening. This is my favorite;

There is an email in Wainstein's supplemental attachment from Boxill telling an athlete that she's going to put him/her, mid semester, into 2 "independent classes" because that athlete does not have enough hours to qualify for a Pell Grant. Losing her job at UNC is the LEAST of her worries. She needs to lawyer up, fast, in order to stay out of federal prison.

It should also be incredibly obvious to everyone that way more departments than AFAM were involved in this.

This is going to get more ungood before it gets dis-ungood.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The dam is collapsing faster than I had anticipated.

I still suspect that the only way to "contain" the firestorm is for UNC to issue an honest and more complete mea culpa,
together with a bunch of firings; faculty and coaches, give back a bunch of trophies, take down the flags
and cancel football and basketball this season (mens and woman's).

They also have to pledge complete transparency in rooting out all of the other departments that were involved.

They probably have until Monday to do this.

If they continue their arrogant ways, then the president is toast as well and will stand implicated (she certainly already is).
She may be uncertain as to the proper(?) path to take..(post above), but she can no more feign innocence.

This coverup is untangling…In my previous post, I omitted ambitious journalists as a potential source of threat to the conspirators.

It looks like a student/reporter is the local equivalent to Woodward / Bernstein

What a mess.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Hats off to Amanda Albright!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics