Another Shoe drops in the North Carolina Fiasco | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Another Shoe drops in the North Carolina Fiasco

Status
Not open for further replies.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
No one is going to tell me that Huckleberry Hound was totally ignorant of what was going on; same with Sylvia.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
BTW: did anyone notice the descriptions by Griner of her attack in China? Sounded like the writing of your typical 3rd-grader from the South Bronx.

And I'm not trying to attack Brittany, just using her as an example

I think those comments were in tweets which leans away from classic prose.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

uh oh cat.gif

Good gosh

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Now some player is suing UNC for not educating him? UNC sucks but that's like suing a liquor store for selling you liquor. He knew what he was doing.

Reaction Score
I think those comments were in tweets which leans away from classic prose.
I saw BG speak, and do a Q&A session with the audience. She does use more modern, informal English than "classic prose", but seemed considerably more articulate than she demonstrated in those tweets. And her verbal skills were MUCH better than those demonstrated in the audio interview Wbbfan1 posted (above)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Actually, If I understand it correctly, McAdoo's suit involves the allegation that UNC AND the NCAA jerked his schollie without just cause, thereby depriving him of his chance for education, and doesn't directly involve his not being actually educated in the ghost classes he took. If this is incorrect, someone please correct me.

Reaction Score
Now some player is suing UNC for not educating him? UNC sucks but that's like suing a liquor store for selling you liquor. He knew what he was doing.
Listen to the anonymous player interview. He unwittingly makes a case for some of the athletes actually being that stoopid. This guy is not going to be submitting a resume to a big accounting firm, law firm, Wall Street brokerage, etc., and have them question the validity of his UNC degree. Wal-Mart maybe, but questionable if he could read the application.

Reaction Score
Actually, If I understand it correctly, McAdoo's suit involves the allegation that UNC AND the NCAA jerked his schollie without just cause, thereby depriving him of his chance for education, and doesn't directly involve his not being actually educated in the ghost classes he took. If this is incorrect, someone please correct me.
That's what it looks like to me. Both his 2011 suit and the new one. Says he was made a scapegoat for the academic scandal and kicked off the team, denying him the education he was promised.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
In yesterdays news, groups of professors are attempting to leverage authority in gaining control over the issues of academic standards for athletes at the university; a reasonable assertion of self interest. Many are deeply concerned (as well they should be)

“Things are bad now at this university,” said Rudi Colloredo-Mansfeld, professor and chairman of the anthropology department. “We are sitting amidst the worst athletic/academic scandal in the history of U.S. collegiate sports and we are ground zero. I feel that if there was ever a time to change, if there was ever a time to bring things in line, now is the time.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/11...er.html?sp=/99/102/110/112/973/#storylink=cpy

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
“The response of the administration seems to have been that no further change needs to happen, all the reforms have taken place, so the most important thing that we should all do is make happy talk about Carolina and change the subject,” Watson said. “That just seems horrible to me in the midst of all this.”

Reaction Score

I'm with you. These kids aren't stupid, except perhaps in the sense of seeking the easy way out- by that I mean attending easy classes to maintain eligibility to play sports. I'm sure this guy & his fellow students were well aware that these classes were a joke.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
First suit lawyers made claim McAdoo did not do enough wrong to merit the punishment he received.
New suit goes in different direction. It admits he didn't have legitimate course tracking. Now the claim is UNC exploited him.

Whatever the opinion we may have about McAdoo's role in this, that is, he had to know he wasn't getting a proper education, it appears to me that he is angry about the way UNC singled him out in this scandal. Reading between the tea leaves it had to be rotten to know other athletes were getting the same "benefits" he received and were getting away with it. He didn't want to rat them out so he takes his revenge on the double injustice rather than attempting to fix things.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think part of the issue in this and other lawsuits that will come is two fold:
1. UNC made representations to recruits that they would receive extraordinary assistance in bringing them up to speed for UNC academics and that was a false inducement - the extraordinary assistance was to send them to bogus classes.
2. The academic support department and/or the coaches ignored athletes expressed areas of interest and instead told them exactly what classes they would be enrolled in - you want criminal justice, sorry, you are taking AFAM, these classes, and if you don't, well you aren't going to be on the team.

A lot of these kids had absolutely no clue what college work or college classes should look like and were used to taking whatever 'coach says' as gospel. Big time sports in HS and college can be very much like military service - Yes sir, no sir, how high sir ...

Half of the kids taking these classes were not athletes and some percentage of the athletes taking the classes were probably very capable of taking advanced academic courses at UNC and did so for the majority of their classes - they saw these classes as a way to skate for a semester in one class while they worked hard in their other classes. It happens all the time in college with elective classes that are less taxing than degree courses in their major field. Mostly those 'skate' classes are legitimate with professors and real grades - Life drawing 101, or dance for athletes, or music appreciation, or ... - they require attendance and attention, but are light on reading/research/papers.

Reaction Score

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Unless the suit is summarily dismissed, the discover phase ought to be VERY interesting. Even the Wainstein (SP?) report left a lot of potential follow-up questions unasked.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I am sure that someone other than myself may have asked this question....what effect will this have on UNC's future enrollment? Not just speaking of athletes, but would parents want to spend their hard-earned $$ sending Junior or Missy to a school with a reek, not just a whiff, of academic scandal? Won't this have repercussions in the real world when employers look at a degree and either smile skeptically or ask to see a transcript? I bet legit grads are none too pleased with this situation. And if I was a donor, I'd be thinking twice when the next fund drive came along.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am sure that someone other than myself may have asked this question....what effect will this have on UNC's future enrollment? Not just speaking of athletes, but would parents want to spend their hard-earned sending Junior or Missy to a school with a reek, not just a whiff, of academic scandal? Won't this have repercussions in the real world when employers look at a degree and either smile skeptically or ask to see a transcript? I bet legit grads are none too pleased with this situation. And if I was a donor, I'd be thinking twice when the next fund drive came along.
While the scandal isn't a great recruiting tool, the fact is that UNC is still a good academic school - I imagine recruiting for sports teams is taking a major hit and will continue to do so until the NCAA comes down with a ruling - recruits aren't likely to sign with a school that is facing serious post season bans if they have another viable option, and those that suspect they are not going to be academically up to UNC normal class standards will probably figure that the available gut classes and tutorial assistance will be very limited for the foreseeable future.
As for grads and students and future students - the interview process involved in most jobs will clearly weed out those that did not get a standard college education - that has always been the case - certain majors, and extracurricular activities (money sports) have always raised flags on resumes. Someone with a BA in history or BS in chemistry or ... will not be affected by this scandal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom