Another Dan Hurley thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Another Dan Hurley thread

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The point being, this man has now "built up" two north east programs from nothing.

If you think URI was nothing - you know nothing about URI basketball
They had some great teams and really good coaches
Love how people who salivate at replacing KO will build up anyone's resume to push forward their agenda
Is Hurley a good coach? so far yes but we will see

Tell us more. 6 NCAA appearances in 30+ years and haven't won their league's regular season since 1981?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Didn't they go to the elite 8 in like 98?

My childhood best friend's dad still hasn't gotten over that meltdown against Stanford.

Me neither. I hated those Stanford teams! Cuttino Mobley and Tyson Wheeler were on that team.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Me neither. I hated those Stanford teams! Cuttino Mobley and Tyson Wheeler were on that team.

Yeah that was quite the dynamic backcourt.

and Stanford has the worlds best dancer mark Madson on that team right?

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
In the 80s, they had two awesome guards (Carlton Owens and Tom something)
Was the Tom something Tom Garrick (sp?). I remember a guy as well that had a good tourney.

Reaction Score
If KO stays here, he has to be able to bring in players to turn this around immediately, as in, we have to be a 20-25 win team next year. Look at the roster. That's not happening.

Are you basing your comment on what you think the roster will be or what the roster will be if all eligible players return? If it's the latter, I would literally put my house on over 20 wins. If it's the former, why not just wait and see if anyone leaves early/transfers/decommits before making any decisions?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Oh. Good to hear. Glad we don’t have to worry about that anymore.
He's probably gotten wind of the Big 10's interest in us. It's a big selling point.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
While I have no problems plagiarizing others work ( I have a night job doing just that) I must disclose that the simple genius of "littlejohn" belongs to the great mind of @8893
I prefer when @8893 refers to him Welch's or makes a grape jelly reference. That's pretty much lol time for me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While I have no problems plagiarizing others work ( I have a night job doing just that) I must disclose that the simple genius of "littlejohn" belongs to the great mind of @8893

8893 my sincerest of apologies. I promise to now like 10 of your posts randomly for this mistake. Just give me a 48 hr window to accomplish this. I am a man of my word. You shall soon see!

Reaction Score
This is what I'm dealing with. Whaler again attributes something to me I obviously didn't say. I ask him a bunch of times to show where I said this and he doesn't provide anything. I have to go back and look up the old posts he's referring to which again show he isn't being honest. I get called vile.
Thank you for the analysis. If Blair Berk were hiring I would certainly recommend you. ;)

BDH

Reaction Score
Sometimes I wish we had a feature where we could see a poster’s BAC.

Not to prevent them from posting, but just because I think it would be fascinating.
I googled BAC and got the Bank of America.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Could be a viable KO replacement

I wouldn't be opposed, although Penders is gettin' up there in age. He once tried to convince me that he averaged 16 assists per game when he played PG at UCONN. It was tough to tell if he was serious or putting me on. It can't be fact checked because they didn't keep track of assists during the era when he played, so he can get away with saying anything if someone is willing to go along. Funny guy. I guarantee you will see some of the old fashioned weave offense with him.

Reaction Score
Are you basing your comment on what you think the roster will be or what the roster will be if all eligible players return? If it's the latter, I would literally put my house on over 20 wins. If it's the former, why not just wait and see if anyone leaves early/transfers/decommits before making any decisions?

A little bit of both. If everyone returns, and that's an enormous if, we should be a 20 win team. But I thought we should have been last year as well. The general belief is that Larrier is gone. Adams, we do not know. Our recruiting class is good; but I'm not sure there's a true impact player right away. Ajinko and Wilson are solid gets, no doubt. But are they guys who are going to come in and be big contributors? I'm not so sure.

Reaction Score
A little bit of both. If everyone returns, and that's an enormous if, we should be a 20 win team. But I thought we should have been last year as well. The general belief is that Larrier is gone. Adams, we do not know. Our recruiting class is good; but I'm not sure there's a true impact player right away. Ajinko and Wilson are solid gets, no doubt. But are they guys who are going to come in and be big contributors? I'm not so sure.
2o wins..... Are you taking bets? If so, I will take the under.

Reaction Score
2o wins..... Are you taking bets? If so, I will take the under.

I don't know... I have little faith in KO.

But this lineup, again this is hypothetical and perfect world in regards to people coming back and injury recovery...

PG: Gilbert, Ajinko
2g: Adams, Vital
SF: Larrier (he could petition for an extra year, I believe?), Wilson, Polley
PF: Whaley, Diarra
C: Carlton, Whaley, Kiskunas

In the AAC, on paper, that is a 20 win team. Real life, I think Jalen and Larrier will be gone and I have no faith that Gilbert will ever be the same. So, it's a much different picture then.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
I don't know... I have little faith in KO.

But this lineup, again this is hypothetical and perfect world in regards to people coming back and injury recovery...

PG: Gilbert, Ajinko
2g: Adams, Vital
SF: Larrier (he could petition for an extra year, I believe?), Wilson, Polley
PF: Whaley, Diarra
C: Carlton, Whaley, Kiskunas

In the AAC, on paper, that is a 20 win team. Real life, I think Jalen and Larrier will be gone and I have no faith that Gilbert will ever be the same. So, it's a much different picture then.
Larrier still has one more year of eligibility as he played at VCU as a freshman, sat out as a transfer, injured last year, playing this year, so next year would be his fifth year. Doubtful he comes back those he is 23 years old and most likely looking to move on to G league

Reaction Score
Larrier still has one more year of eligibility as he played at VCU as a freshman, sat out as a transfer, injured last year, playing this year, so next year would be his fifth year. Doubtful he comes back those he is 23 years old and most likely looking to move on to G league

Yep, I'd be shocked if he came back. Just responding to the person saying that it wouldn't be a potential 20 win team if everyone came back.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Yep, I'd be shocked if he came back. Just responding to the person saying that it wouldn't be a potential 20 win team if everyone came back.
I agree that it would be a 20 win team if everybody came back. I was just pointing out that in theory Larrier wouldn't need to petition in order to play next year.

Reaction Score

He can't even play in the G League, lost his explosion prior to injury (it may come back) and can't do much other than spot shooting. Shoots it a lot better, has improved there no doubt but can't get to a spot on his own off the dribble, doesn't pass well and isn't strong enough. Deandre Daniels can't hang and he's a lot better overall than Terry now. He needs the year no matter what his age is. So does Jalen but they're grown men, up to them just hope for their sake they do the right thing.

TJT

Reaction Score
Only holdup is figuring out the buyout,

Which buyout? Ollie's or Hurley's?

Ollie's large buyout would possibly not be the only one that UConn might have to pay if it replaced its present coach. I googled Hurley's contract and found some information relating to his last extension (he has had his contract extended and reworked three time in his first five years at Rhode Island. He is currently signed through the 2023-24 season. If Hurley were to depart URI this season or next, the school is owed a buyout amount of 1.5 million. It appears as if Hurley is presently paid about 1M per year. This is considerably less than Ollie's compensation which is thought to be 2.8-3M. Given the success Hurley is having at URI this season along with the fact the school has already extended and reworked his contract several times during his stint there, I would think it likely he would be in line for another extension and raise in April after a projected 2nd straight NCAA appearance. Rhode Island however could never offer money that approaches what UConn has been paying Kevin Ollie. The best it could probably add is a several hundred K more.

Link
URI, Dan Hurley agree on contract extension through 2023-24 season

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom