Another Dan Hurley thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Another Dan Hurley thread

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
When do we start talking about Donyell Marshall? I honestly don't know much about him as a coach except that he seems to be doing well. He is "family" which is appealing. Thoughts/criticism?

Well he got suspended 7 games for getting in a fight with one of his assistants.

The team is much better but it’s driven by a player that no one else would touch he got by hiring his brother.

They look like a 5 alarm tire fire at the end of games.

But he will probably finish 6th or 7th in the NEC this year which smells like 9 million over 5 to me.

Reaction Score
Good initially...not everything has to start and end the same way.
My initial premise was not to compare the two although that's what I essentially wound up doing....I'm just interested in people's feedback on Marshall as a possible replacement sometime in the near future if Ollie can't turn it around. I'm a fan of having one of our own take over the reigns but not opposed to someone from the outside either.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm just telling you what I've heard for a while now. Some other posters have hit me up more recently saying they've heard the same from several different contacts from several different places.

Again, believe what you want.

Thanks, I think I’ll accept your permission to believe that Dan Hurley will have a lot of options going forward.

I’ll step out on that limb.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Would Danny Hurley have any interest in:

Boston College
Pittsburgh
Penn State
St John’s

or nah?

Reaction Score
Was that because of the lack of a HC track record, or in spite of?

In my opinion, one of the many factors leading to Ollie’s struggles has been his lack of successful HC experience.

UConn can’t be on-the-job training for anyone.
I see your point but I don't think having HC experience is always needed to be successful...true leadership is not sometimes not a learned skill....my examples would be be from the NFL...Bill Cowher and Mike Tomlin (yes, I'm a Steelers fan too). The other key is how you learn from your mistakes and make the necessary adjustments.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I see your point but I don't think having HC experience is always needed to be successful...true leadership is not sometimes not a learned skill....my examples would be be from the NFL...Bill Cowher and Mike Tomlinson (yes, I'm a Steelers fan too).

Game-planning, overseeing player development, and closing the deal with recruits are all learned skills. I would vastly prefer our next coach to be someone who has demonstrated an ability to effectively wield those skills as a HC.

Reaction Score

Boston College
Pittsburgh
Penn State
St John’s

or nah?
For goodness sake, let's stop dumping on ourselves. UConn was a national basketball brand with 4 NCs in the last 20 years. It's a great place to be and a great opportunity to build off a tradition and add to a legacy. We just need to get the current bum out. It seems like we are the only fan base that has a built-in self loathing for a wonderful institution.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
When do we start talking about Donyell Marshall? I honestly don't know much about him as a coach except that he seems to be doing well. He is "family" which is appealing. Thoughts/criticism?

Saw him at the liquor store a few weeks ago. Can confirm he's still tall.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
For goodness sake, let's stop dumping on ourselves. UConn was a national basketball brand with 4 NCs in the last 20 years. It's a great place to be and a great opportunity to build off a tradition and add to a legacy. We just need to get the current bum out. It seems like we are the only fan base that has a built-in self loathing for a wonderful institution.

I guarantee you Dan Hurley gives far less of a hoot about our tradition than you've convinced yourself he has.

I know it makes people feel warm and fuzzy inside to think that the past four years have only damaged Ollie's brand and not UConn Basketball's. You're in for a rude awakening.

Reaction Score
Game-planning, overseeing player development, and closing the deal with recruits are all learned skills. I would vastly prefer our next coach to be someone who has demonstrated an ability to effectively wield those skills as a HC.
Yes and no. I still think some people are innately better at certain things then others and take less time to develope those skills. I appreciate your feedback though. I will definitely think about what you said.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

So you don't think you need to compete with ACC and Big East schools to hire a hot coach?

Let's look at the last hot A-10 coach: Archie Miller was a star at NC State. They have multiple national championship. They play in a sweet 18k seat building in a location that is rabid for college sports.

They didn't get a sniff.

I'm sure we'll get Dan Hurley with no issues. Sure our team plays in front of 4k people in a crumbling building in a league that no one wants to admit exists - it's our self-loathing that is going to be the hurdle.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I'm just telling you what I've heard for a while now. Some other posters have hit me up more recently saying they've heard the same from several different contacts from several different places.

Again, believe what you want.
Seton Hall is Hurley's dream job but as KO shows, better to steer clear of your alma mater and make your own name somewhere else rather than tarnish the legacy.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The point being, this man has now "built up" two north east programs from nothing.

If you think URI was nothing - you know nothing about URI basketball
They had some great teams and really good coaches
Love how people who salivate at replacing KO will build up anyone's resume to push forward their agenda
Is Hurley a good coach? so far yes but we will see

Reaction Score

Boston College
Pittsburgh
Penn State
St John’s

or nah?
So much history and national cache among that list of schools. Do they even pay a top 10 salary there?

Reaction Score
The HC job, what'd you think?
Seriously, didn't know. I was assuming maybe an interview for big man coach.

The head coaching job at UConn? Sorry but that's batstuff crazy.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Seriously, didn't know. I was assuming maybe an interview for big man coach.

The head coaching job at UConn? Sorry but that's batstuff crazy.

But not as crazy as Ollie forfeiting 10 million dollars because Calhoun asks nice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom