Anna Anyone? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Anna Anyone?

Reaction Score
Completely disagree! I can't wait until you have to eat crow... a dish best served cold. I think she is the linchpin with her versatility in the middle between the guards and forwards. Mark my words. She will be the one that opposing teams just won't have a response for. They won't be sure how to defend or what to do with her.
While I completely agree with you about Anna, it is revenge that is a dish best served cold!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ah, I don't know if anyone cares about my opinion, but at some point between now and the NC, the wheels may start to come off (think of DT losing to Harry's Villanova in the RAC when Uconn couldn't throw the ball in the ocean and hit water). If that happens, Geno will look to players who won't bite the apple. Anna is cool headed and plays under control.
I care about your opinion but do we really have to wait? Hasn't this already happened? 4th quarter of the Baylor game last year where UCONN went tundra cold shooting 2-18. It was actually a double whammy because of something else I've been complaining about for 4 years- UCONN over reliance on the 3Pt shot. Of the 18 UCONN shots in that Baylor 4th quarter 10 were from deep. This was a 4 point game going into that 4th quarter. UCONN appear to have some fairly capable 3 point shooters coming in but until we get the ability to generate easier baskets I think UCONN will remain vulnerable to a cold shooting night. You can create easier baskets by creating more live ball turnovers or by establishing a post presence close to the offensive basket than can get you easy layups or get to the foul line. If you look at the same Baylor game in the 4th quarter Baylor had 11 FT attempts and made 9. UCONN was at the line only two times in that 4th quarter. That was the ball game right there.

Reaction Score
I care about your opinion but do we really have to wait? Hasn't this already happened? 4th quarter of the Baylor game last year where UCONN went tundra cold shooting 2-18. It was actually a double whammy because of something else I've been complaining about for 4 years- UCONN over reliance on the 3Pt shot. Of the 18 UCONN shots in that Baylor 4th quarter 10 were from deep. This was a 4 point game going into that 4th quarter. UCONN appear to have some fairly capable 3 point shooters coming in but until we get the ability to generate easier baskets I think UCONN will remain vulnerable to a cold shooting night. You can create easier baskets by creating more live ball turnovers or by establishing a post presence close to the offensive basket than can get you easy layups or get to the foul line. If you look at the same Baylor game in the 4th quarter Baylor had 11 FT attempts and made 9. UCONN was at the line only two times in that 4th quarter. That was the ball game right there.

I think your post hints at an important observation and distinction. There's a difference between having good 3 point shooters and utilizing them to spread the floor (and defense) versus relying almost exclusively on 3 point shooting. The later, as you note, is an all or nothing approach that runs the risk of a bad shooting night, while the former, by stretching the defense, forces the defense to make choices and opens up the floor for drives to the basket, isolation, and open 3 point shots. Given the players UConn has recruited the past two cycles, I think that we are looking at the first approach.

Reaction Score
I agree. Obviously two things have to come together, the will to get to the rack and the ability to. But even if the ability doesn't quite match the will, if you pound it enough times you'll at least get to the foul line and create some foul trouble. I think Edwards can help with this and Bueckers could live at the line.

Reaction Score
I hate these threads because it makes it look like I am bashing a player, I am not! Makurat is a hell of a player, but far too often people on this forum through around "All American". AA players are special, I know we are spoiled at UConn because we get so many of them, but I just think it is disrespectful to label virtually every good player UConn currently has as an AA candidate when they have done very little to fit the criteria of an AA, that is all.

It's not your opinion that's objectionable, it's that you come off as actually having some knowledge that the rest of us don't have. Being an AA is not what defines a player, being an above average player that fits into the system is also very important and without those players you win nothing.

Reaction Score
It's not your opinion that's objectionable, it's that you come off as actually having some knowledge that the rest of us don't have. Being an AA is not what defines a player, being an above average player that fits into the system is also very important and without those players you win nothing.

Who ever said "being an AA defined a player?" Certainly not me! I absolutely understand that there are damn good players that will never be an AA, and that is my ENTIRE point! Not every good player is an AA, and far too often people throw AA around on here that it becomes disrespectful to the players that were actual AAs.

Reaction Score
I agree. Obviously two things have to come together, the will to get to the rack and the ability to. But even if the ability doesn't quite match the will, if you pound it enough times you'll at least get to the foul line and create some foul trouble. I think Edwards can help with this and Bueckers could live at the line.

I don't agree with this. What's killed UCONN the last few years is that their bigs decommitted late and/.or left earlier than anticipated or were hurt (along with we didn't have elite guard play). You can't just force an inside game if you don't have the necessary players you aren't going to get to the foul line enough or create foul troubles vs the elite teams like "Baylor."

And anyone else UCONN has beaten which is why we are still so damn successful is because UCONN had an alternative - that was extremely hard to beat- which was a terrific perimeter game that only the elite teams could beat.

What has also killed UConn these few years is that their guards weren't good enough. Where we would rank Walker (she played like a guard in terms of shooting) in terms of 1st team A/A's? IMO she would be last. She was UCONN's bets player and she was required to carry her team.

**For what Walker did- that was terrific. She kept UCONN relevant. As for AMak- if she is shooting 40% - 45% from 3-- and CWill isn't hitting -- she is going to take plenty of shots. You shoot that well- you take plenty of shots - and your team is top 4 - you are going to be in consideration for an A/A.

To pound inside without players being good enough will get UCONN nowhere. IMO UCON will do what they always do- and that is play to their strengths very, very well. This team though has the potential of guards who can not only penetrate but finish in the lane. It's different than the last many years. Can't wait to see.

Reaction Score
Who ever said "being an AA defined a player?" Certainly not me! I absolutely understand that there are damn good players that will never be an AA, and that is my ENTIRE point! Not every good player is an AA, and far too often people throw AA around on here that it becomes disrespectful to the players that were actual AAs.

I think though you are being disrespectful to a potentially tremendous shooter (with size_ who may become a primary go-to scorer.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
People aren't throwing that AA term around to be disrespectful or to annoy you. AA expectations has become the reality (norm?) for just about every UCONN WBB player who becomes a starter by sophomore year. There is no other program that can make this claim.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with this. What's killed UCONN the last few years is that their bigs decommitted late and/.or left earlier than anticipated or were hurt (along with we didn't have elite guard play). You can't just force an inside game if you don't have the necessary players you aren't going to get to the foul line enough or create foul troubles vs the elite teams like "Baylor."

And anyone else UCONN has beaten which is why we are still so damn successful is because UCONN had an alternative - that was extremely hard to beat- which was a terrific perimeter game that only the elite teams could beat.

What has also killed UConn these few years is that their guards weren't good enough. Where we would rank Walker (she played like a guard in terms of shooting) in terms of 1st team A/A's? IMO she would be last. She was UCONN's bets player and she was required to carry her team.

**For what Walker did- that was terrific. She kept UCONN relevant. As for AMak- if she is shooting 40% - 45% from 3-- and CWill isn't hitting -- she is going to take plenty of shots. You shoot that well- you take plenty of shots - and your team is top 4 - you are going to be in consideration for an A/A.

To pound inside without players being good enough will get UCONN nowhere. IMO UCON will do what they always do- and that is play to their strengths very, very well. This team though has the potential of guards who can not only penetrate but finish in the lane. It's different than the last many years. Can't wait to see.
I understand all this. I wasn't talking about the past. I'm talking having the will of a N.Collier and the talent that is coming in starting with this season. That's the combination I want.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Most of this is some what confounding especially this contradiction: "UCONN had an alternative - that was extremely hard to beat- which was a terrific perimeter game that only the elite teams could beat.
vs
"What has also killed UConn these few years is that their guards weren't good enough."

Aren't guards part of the perimeter game?

Megan Walker was asked to played the PF position in the UCONN offense for the two season she was a starter. I'm not sure why you would want to compare her to other UCONN guards.

The growing legend of Anna becoming an impact deep shooter needs to be deflated considerably. 1) Anna shot 41 % from deep last year yet people are throwing out numbers like 45% without regard for what it would take to get there over the course of an entire season. There were 8 players in all of division 1 who shot over 45% last year-BTW Megan Walker was one of them.
2) Anna is not a very good 2pt shooter she was only 31 of 66 from inside the arc last year.

Reaction Score
All star awards are not going to come from shooting 40%+ from deep, otherwise Anna would have been an all-star last year when she shot 41% Anna was not even named one of the top Freshman in the country . Two season ago the UCONN backcourt of Kia and Crystal both shot 44% from deep and neither was named an all-star.
Not sure why you choose to look in the rear view mirror. This year's team likely to be better passing team, helping everyone. All great shooters teamed with great passers tend to get more shots and earn more notice.

Reaction Score
Please consult your UCONN WBB Media guide. Right there on page 85 is says Bria Hartley is 6th all time in Assists at UCONN. Not only could Bria play the point she actually did in her AA season 2011-12 when UCONN started a 4 guard lineup.

But she wasn't the pg in the year we are discussing. Doty started at pg, even though her knees had betrayed her and she wasn't the same player. Geno even made a comment going into the tournament that he needed to talk to his guards and that sacrifices had to be made if they were to win. I thought it was a puzzling comment but Jefferson took over the bulk of the pg minutes.

I always thought Hartley was over-rated. She was a clutch shooter late in games which earns her a lot of points but she was a mediocre 1st half shooter. She and Dolson were also personally responsible for several losses to N Dame with their insistence on challenging Diggins on in-bounds passes. Diggins owned Hartley and still does in the W. I watched a game this past year and Diggins can still run down Hartley from behind and block her shot on a breakaway. In the 2013 FF game Dolson finally learned and passed away from Diggins (and Hartley) on inbounds passes and UConn won.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not sure why you choose to look in the rear view mirror. This year's team likely to be better passing team, helping everyone. All great shooters teamed with great passers tend to get more shots and earn more notice.
I look to the past because those that do not learn from the past are likely to make incorrect future predictions. Example: Crystal was the best passer last year and Megan the best shooter yet you are predicting better shooting and passing from this team? I suppose Anna could always pass to herself and rebound her own misses :eek:.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But she wasn't the pg in the year we are discussing. Doty started at pg, even though her knees had betrayed her and she wasn't the same player. Geno even made a comment going into the tournament that he needed to talk to his guards and that sacrifices had to be made if they were to win. I thought it was a puzzling comment but Jefferson took over the bulk of the pg minutes.

I always thought Hartley was over-rated. She was a clutch shooter late in games which earns her a lot of points but she was a mediocre 1st half shooter. She and Dolson were also personally responsible for several losses to N Dame with their insistence on challenging Diggins on in-bounds passes. Diggins owned Hartley and still does in the W. I watched a game this past year and Diggins can still run down Hartley from behind and block her shot on a breakaway. In the 2013 FF game Dolson finally learned and passed away from Diggins (and Hartley) on inbounds passes and UConn won.
In the year we are discussing (2012-13) Hartley was battling her own injuries and it was Bria that went to the coaching staff with a recommendation for Caroline to move into the starting line up as the PG. As far as Hartley being overrated-nah... She was streaky and surrounded by great talent but when you look at the final number 6th all time in Assists and 12 all time in Points scored you got to give it up.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
None? Really? I m concerned that CW and/or EW are the two most likely to bring the MW agenda [WNBA] onto the court. I hope not. We'll see, eh?
That is just slanderous. Megan brought a WNBA agenda onto the court?
1607023397649.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In the year we are discussing (2012-13) Hartley was battling her own injuries and it was Bria that went to the coaching staff with a recommendation for Caroline to move into the starting line up as the PG. As far as Hartley being overrated-nah... She was streaky and surrounded by great talent but when you look at the final number 6th all time in Assists and 12 all time in Points scored you got to give it up.

Maybe you got to give it up. I loved her shooting in the last 5 minutes of a big game but she lost as many games for UConn as she won. Especially against N Dame, our biggest rival in that era.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I believe Anna will pick up where she left off last year and become much much better. She has the talent and now the confidence. Her freshman year had to be tough. She had to acclimate to the US, take a starting role because of a short talented bench, etc. I think she is unselfish and a great team player who will put up very respectable numbers this season.

Me too.........right where she left off. She's already got her "sea legs". She knows the terrain, and knows how to navigate it. The only things she has to adjust to this year is playing with new teammates. That won't take long. She's been doing that since practice began back in October.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Me too.........right where she left off. She's already got her "seas legs". She knows the terrain, and knows how to navigate it. The only things she has to adjust to this year is playing with new teammates. That won't take long. She's been doing that since practice began back in October.
When did our standards sink so low? Right where she left off? Anna last three games of the season last year were against AAC opponents USF, Temple and Cincinnati.
GameMinutesFGM/FGA3PTFGM/AAssistPoints
Temple
37​
4/8​
3/5​
8​
14​
USF
31​
1/4​
1/2​
4​
3​
Cincinnati
36​
3/7​
1/2​
8​
8​
Averages
42%
55%
Is this the type of productivity we are looking forward to and excited about?

Reaction Score
When did our standards sink so low? Right where she left off? Anna last three games of the season last year were against AAC opponents USF, Temple and Cincinnati.
GameMinutesFGM/FGA3PTFGM/AAssistPoints
Temple
37​
4/8​
3/5​
8​
14​
USF
31​
1/4​
1/2​
4​
3​
Cincinnati
36​
3/7​
1/2​
8​
8​
Averages
42%
55%
Is this the type of productivity we are looking forward to and excited about?
Yeah, but those WERE outstanding defensive teams. :p

Reaction Score
Yeah, like Deion Sanders says about the Pro Football HOF becoming the "Hall of Really Good." To me an "AA" is a first team AA on a 5-player team like the AP - THE best at their position. I know UConn uses the 10-player WBCA AA team for HOH, and I accept that, but I wish they didn't.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Yeah, like Deion Sanders says about the Pro Football HOF becoming the "Hall of Really Good." To me an "AA" is a first team AA on a 5-player team like the AP - THE best at their position. I know UConn uses the 10-player WBCA AA team for HOH, and I accept that, but I wish they didn't.
I believe that the reason why Geno used the WBCA is because it was considered the Gold Standard at the time he started the HOH, because it was, and still is the Coaches that vote for the AA team and NOT journalists.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom