Anna Anyone? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Anna Anyone?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Yes, there I go with stats again because they are indisputable facts! They don't allow people's inherent biases towards certain players to become a factor. There is a reason why stats have been used in sports since the beginning of time as the best metric when comparing players.
You mean like yours, Stewie didn't play as many minutes, put up better numbers, and handed out 50+ more assists, 19 fewer turnovers, 20 more steels, 111 more blocks, while committing 20 fewer fouls. I bet if you looked at KLS and Pheesa's Junior years they would wipe MW's off the map.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The WBCA chimed in and said there has never been a player on top 5 team that score more than 20 PPG not to be named AA and it would have been hateful to leave Megan off the AA team last year. I might have made up that last part about the hate, but there sure are a lot of people going at Megan in this thread- Just to big up Anna? Isn’t every player going to come up short when compared to Stevie? Why bother?

Reaction Score
I agree but I do think Megan was a one of the weaker number 1s that we have had. She was still a good player but just not a great one. She just couldn’t seem to bring it against really good teams and tended to be a bit of a black hole on occasion. Imo of course!
Megan was a good player, but not like other Uconn All Americans. Hopefully she develops in the WNBA, but she seems to be a tweener. She isn't great at any one thing, and might not last long.

Reaction Score
You mean like yours, Stewie didn't play as many minutes, put up better numbers, and handed out 50+ more assists, 19 fewer turnovers, 20 more steels, 111 more blocks, while committing 20 fewer fouls. I bet if you looked at KLS and Pheesa's Junior years they would wipe MW's off the map.

Walker averaged 19.7pts, 8.4rbs, 3ast, 1.5stl
Stewart averaged 19.4pts, 8.7rbs, 4ast, 1.8stl

There is NO way you can't consider those virtually identical!

And NO, KLS and Collier's junior year are NOT as good as Walker's, Walker outscored and outrebounded BOTH of them!

Reaction Score

And NO, KLS and Collier's junior year are NOT as good as Walker's

But why aren't you looking at games vs top 5 teams?

Reaction Score
Megan was a good player, but not like other Uconn All Americans. Hopefully she develops in the WNBA, but she seems to be a tweener. She isn't great at any one thing, and might not last long.

She was a terrific 3pt shooter and for her size a tough rebounder. Her jr year she shot 45% from 3. That's tremendous. She just didn't shoot it well though vs the elite teams. Pity she didn't stay her sr year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But why aren't you looking at games vs top 5 teams?
Because @soxfan23 is not comparing the players. That comparison would be laughable. His point is that both players put up enough numbers to justify AA status for that season.

Reaction Score
She was a freshman adjusting to life, school and basketball in a new language and country, and she made some of the UCONN highlight reel plays of all time!

There's someone on the women's board, and it may be this one, with a pattern to his comments about Anna. Often negative and occasionally grudgingly positive, but with caveats.
Hard to understand why anyone would be that way with a freshman Geno trusted to play 26.5 minutes per game, and who showed so much poise and developed so much as the year went on. Not only the best proven 3 point shooter on this year's team but also second in assists to Crystal Dangerfield on last year's team by only 13.

Reaction Score
I think Huskee11 has done a great job of assessing what Anna brings to the table, and she is in better shape, and hopefully won't start 0 for America again. So there are reasons to be encouraged and to expect some significant improvement. Having said that I think Anna can be a very good player, but her ceiling is somewhat capped by ordinary athletic skills.

Her shooting, ball-handling and especially passing can certainly be "All American" level. Her rebounding, defense, shot blocking etc will probably never be, due to athletic ability that is not bad, but not enough to reach elite status for those traits. I also think Anna is closer to being a finished product since her basketball skills are already very good.

As for your last comment about this team possibly being a "showtime-type" passing team, I agree completely and am very much looking forward to that. Imagine if Geno played Nika and Paige together, with Anna at the 3, with maybe Aubrey and Aaliyah running the floor, or if you wanted to completely double down on passing play small ball with Evina at the 4.

You're right about her athleticism but she knows how to play the game and her stats sneak up on you.

In about 75% of the playing time of the other two guards and Megan Walker, she was second in Assists, Steals and Blocks, and third in Rebounds.
Rebounds: MW 269, CW 158, Anna 126, CD 111
Assists: CD 118, Anna 105, MW 92, CW 72
Steals: CD 55, Anna 47, MW 47, CW 40
Blocks: MW 15, Anna 10, CW 6, CD 4
Shooting percentages show she outperformed sophomore CW in FT and 3 Pt %:
FT: CD .860, MW .821, Anna .813, CW .744
FG: MW .477, CD .463, CW .457, Anna .429
3's: MW .451, CD .410, Anna .410, CW .333

Walker and Dangerfield were first round picks and Williams was high school player of the year so Anna's held her own pretty well for a first year player.

Reaction Score
Walker put up virtually identical stats to what Stewart put up in her best year and you don't think she deserved to be an AA? Stop embarrassing yourself!
You should stop embarassing yourself for even comparing Walker to Stewart! For one Stewie was a far better defensive player! Her play in the 2015 FF showed that being named MOP! Stewie didn't disappear against the better teams! Walker did. Stewie had over 100 assist her last 3 years at UConn! Stewie is the only college player with over 400 blocks and assist for her career! Stewie won every POY award the year you compared Walkers stats to hers! Walker didn't win one! Stewie was 24-0 in the NCAAT with 4 MOP awards and 4 NCs! Walker had a 8-2 record with no NCs! The players on Stewies team got better because of Stewart! Walkers teammates didn't even get the ball from her when they should have when they were wide open because she was a selfish player! UConn became a better team the day Walker said she was putting her name in the draft! Last years team had the worst chemistry that any UConn team has had in a long time and a big reason why was Walker!

Reaction Score
You should stop embarassing yourself for even comparing Walker to Stewart! For one Stewie was a far better defensive player! Her play in the 2015 FF showed that being named MOP! Stewie didn't disappear against the better teams! Walker did. Stewie had over 100 assist her last 3 years at UConn! Stewie is the only college player with over 400 blocks and assist for her career! Stewie won every POY award the year you compared Walkers stats to hers! Walker didn't win one! Stewie was 24-0 in the NCAAT with 4 MOP awards and 4 NCs! Walker had a 8-2 record with no NCs! The players on Stewies team got better because of Stewart! Walkers teammates didn't even get the ball from her when they should have when they were wide open because she was a selfish player! UConn became a better team the day Walker said she was putting her name in the draft! Last years team had the worst chemistry that any UConn team has had in a long time and a big reason why was Walker!
Very good .. I agree with all you said .. I couldn't have said it better myself esp the part about MW being a selfish player. You left out the part that Walker couldn't even create her own shot and was defended easily by Baylor, Oregon and SC, eh? IMO she was not an AA..

Reaction Score

And NO, KLS and Collier's junior year are NOT as good as Walker's, Walker outscored and outrebounded BOTH of them!

If the premise is you award 1st team AA status for stats, the argument for Walker deserving that is strong. If you award for the “eye test” it becomes a different argument. Certainly her play gave the impression she was somewhat a “selfish” player but really only she knows if it was conscious, by design. I believe it hurt the team last year in the chemistry department but tend to think it was not “intentional” because I think if Auriemma and Dailey thought so, she would certainly have been benched at some point. Walker was a great all around stat player but IMO, I would not consider her a great all around player using the “eye test”; there is a robotic aspect to her game, a lack of “feel” if you will that prevented her from making the instinctive, correct play in the moment, AT TIMES.
The other aspect, her play in the 3 “elite” games would have more credibility to me had the tourney been played and that trend continued. Walker was in a completely different role last year and IMO, should get the benefit of the doubt of having learned from those experiences. Without having the season play out we will never know; Uconn certainly grew, seemingly significantly, as the season progressed. The defense and chemistry improved and Walker was certainly part of that growth. If she can be criticized for the early season “problems” she needs to be acknowledged as part of the solution. Unfortunately, with the truncated season, no one knows how that improvement would have manifested itself in the tournament.
Now having said that, she certainly had a terrific season, no one can argue that. Criticisms of her are at the highest levels of WCBB, namely should she have been in the top 5 or relegated to the top 10 of players in the entire nation and that opinion is in the eyes of the beholder.
One last comment, this discussion is symptomatic of the problems with naming All Star teams; without the ability of seeing players play all, or the majority of their games, which no one can possibly do, stats and highlight reels are the only gauges and they are not really reliable ones. I can minutely dissect Walker’s game because I saw all of them but can do that for no other player than a Uconn one. I am sure given the opportunity, virtually all players except for the very few, Stewart, Moore, Taurasi, DelleDonne, the guard who played for Oregon last year whose name old agedly is escaping me, etc. could have their games examined and criticized for something.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

1. Megan was a good player....check
2. but not like other Uconn All Americans...bummer
3. Hopefully she develops in the WNBA...check
4. but she seems to be a tweener...bummer
5. She isn't great at any one thing,..real bummer
6. and might not last long...wow, a real bummer

Could have saved yourself lot's of typing by just starting with #6

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There's someone on the women's board, and it may be this one, with a pattern to his comments about Anna. Often negative and occasionally grudgingly positive, but with caveats.
Hard to understand why anyone would be that way with a freshman Geno trusted to play 26.5 minutes per game, and who showed so much poise and developed so much as the year went on. Not only the best proven 3 point shooter on this year's team but also second in assists to Crystal Dangerfield on last year's team by only 13.
What were Geno's other options besides playing Anna 26 Minutes per game last year? Anna WAS NOT the best "proven" 3 point shooter on the team last year -Megan Walker was! For a "watchdog" you powers of observation seem to be severely lacking.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Very good .. I agree with all you said .. I couldn't have said it better myself esp the part about MW being a selfish player. You left out the part that Walker couldn't even create her own shot and was defended easily by Baylor, Oregon and SC, eh? IMO she was not an AA..

Yes, let’s beat up on our last AA. Fortunately, you don’t get a vote.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Megan Walker will officially be enshrined in UConn history.
1607175157446.png

Reaction Score
What were Geno's other options besides playing Anna 26 Minutes per game last year? Anna WAS NOT the best "proven" 3 point shooter on the team last year -Megan Walker was! For a "watchdog" you powers of observation seem to be severely lacking.
Megan had to be wide open to shoot, and no one missed more layups. Anna may not be as athletic, but is overall a better player. Eve n after Megan got into the bubble, as bad as the liberty were, there still wasn't playing time. For a player from Uconn that is unusual.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with the post you agree with, but I agree with your half, i.e. we have the personnel to press, trap & run, eh?
As I have stated in several prior posts, I foresee Mir, Aubrey and Nika on the top of the press .. with several capable others in the back row .. and with Liv [mostly] and AE protecting the rim. I don't think I have EVER seen a team with this much defensive talent .. and that includes rebounding, n'est-ce pas?
Bien sur. I also love the defensive quickness. Mir, AE, Nika, AG and Paige will give the other team fits on the press. I also think we will see Autumn in the press at times. She is very smart, valedictorian of her class, and very fast. I think Geno was going to press and deny this year anyway after what occurred last year and especially with Jamelle back but this team makes it a certainty. You have 3 players, Mir, AE and Aubrey who are actually better defensive players than offensive players and that is not because of their offensive capabilities it's because they are just that good on defense. As for Nika, the first film I saw of her I was impressed with her anticipation and court awareness on defense. Sure she can pass, shoot, dribble and control a game but when you defend well too at the point or the 2 it is a real plus (e.g. Kia). BTW, Paige is a hell of a defender also. Her offense is so special it often gets overlooked. I think we just have to give it a few games to really see it take shape but when it does it may be the best ever as you suggest.

Reaction Score
IMO last year's team improved when their defense improved from "bad" to "pretty good. "This meant average teams or just "pretty good" teams could no longer beat them. The Memphis game early in season was an example how bad their D was - thus they were highly susceptible to get "picked off" by average or slightly better teams early. What happened imo was that their defense raised their floor.

But no way could they have pressed hard fullcourt with 6 players vs the elite teams. They were going to have to win with strong offense and defense being just "decent enough" vs the elite teams. They were a combo of too thin in the post- not that great in the post on defense- and too inconsistent on the perimeter defense -to shutdown an elite team.

As far as this year- imo everything is on the table due to virus and now they have had 2 weeks off. Players aren't in game shape to run 30 minutes per. I felt previously that they would go with 7 or 8 in big games-- but this year is ofc an anomaly - and the fact they miss two weeks plus whatever and play less games - nothing would surprise me. Maybe 10 - maybe -- whatever. Just will be fun to see. I'm so pumped to see them play -- and I just don't know what to expect!!!! EVERYTHING IS ON THE TABLE!!!! Even imo the possibility of AMak being an A/A!!!!

That's why on this thread I think realistically no one can predict what AMak is going to do - good or bad. Too many variables. But -- no way no how no way she averages "25" ppg. And maybe we do go 10. I prefer superstars with less bench in huge games but okay for ANYTHING.
What happened last year was that the change in defensive intensity led to movement on offense which we severely lacked in the big games. This year, the press and defense become an end in themselves, not simply to create movement on offense but to become a form of an offense as well. We will score off the press not just because of the press. Take out EW this year, put in Nika or Paige. What do you lose on defense? Take out Anna or CW and put in Mir or AE and/or move AG to the 3. What do you lose on defense? You can do this over and over. This year you have the depth but also you have skilled defensive athletic depth already. It is a sea change.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Megan had to be wide open to shoot, and no one missed more layups. Anna may not be as athletic, but is overall a better player. Eve n after Megan got into the bubble, as bad as the liberty were, there still wasn't playing time. For a player from Uconn that is unusual.
You can keep trying to move the goal post if you want, but here are verifiable facts. Megan shot it better from deep than Anna did LAST YEAR. Megan shot it better from 2 than Anna did LAST YEAR. As far as Megan struggles in the WNBA, let us wait until Anna gets there -if she ever does. Other former UCONN AA struggling in the WNBA include KML and KLS + Megan also had COVID.

Reaction Score
I don't think I've ever been negative about Anna, I think she is the greatest! I wrote the above in response to a fairly negative piece and was trying to temper my response so as not to be nasty. But the gist of my point remains that Anna accomplished a lot on the court her freshman year including the highlight reel plays of the year (in my eyes) despite having to tackle the off-the-court struggles inherent in being a first-year foreign student.

Reaction Score
Trust me folks, we are going to love watching Anna over the next few years. With the talent they have around her, she will just run off screens and hit big shot after big shot. Anybody who overplays another player and leaves Anna alone, will pay the price. She will also surprise in her ability to get to the basket simply bc the opponent will have to sell out defending her against the three. Then you have her court sense and passing ability. Nobody can press uconn effectively with her in the game along with any two guards.

I can't wait to see her develop over the next THREE years!! It's going to be fun. She's one of those players who just somehow, someway, makes an impact despite her lack of elite athleticism.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom