Anna Anyone? | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Anna Anyone?

Reaction Score
Yes, let’s beat up on our last AA. Fortunately, you don’t get a vote.
To the observant, Crystal was was our best player last year [and has proven it in the WNBA], ONO was our 2nd best, but was another player [besides Ania] that Walker refused to pass to when she was open.
Megan Walker is a stand-still shooter, who cannot put the ball on the floor. Thus, easy to defend, she will have great difficulty in the WNBA trying to make a team, eh?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
To the observant, Crystal was was our best player last year [and has proven it in the WNBA], ONO was our 2nd best, but was another player [besides Ania] that Walker refused to pass to when she was open.
Megan Walker is a stand-still shooter, who cannot put the ball on the floor. Thus, easy to defend, she will have great difficulty in the WNBA trying to make a team, eh?
Those that count (i.e., NOT YOU) such as the WBCA and AAC coaches disagree with you.
" Walker and Crystal Dangerfield were both unanimous picks to the all-AAC first team, to which Christyn Williams was also tabbed. .....while Anna Makurat was unanimously selected to the all-freshman team
1607217112340.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Enough trashing Anna and/or MW. Also too much time trying get so glean "facts" from stats. Is Anna fleet of foot? Well, she has "Larry Bird" speed. Maybe her best attribute is she is a calming influence when the other 4 players on the court need a calming influence. She did not play like a freshman, and she won't this year (if there is a this year).

Reaction Score
Those that count (i.e., NOT YOU) such as the WBCA and AAC coaches disagree with you.
You got that wrong! I and my fellow Boneyarders DO COUNT because we saw every subtlety and every nuance of each and every UConn women's basketball games unlike those WBCA and AAC coaches who were busy with their own teams. These coaches made their picks based on stat sheets and highlight films where Megan dropped a ton of points against Podunk University and Red Gap College. Apparently, they missed Megan's highlights vs SC, Baylor and Oregon because there weren't any, eh?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You got that wrong! I and my fellow Boneyarders DO COUNT because we saw every subtlety and every nuance of each and every UConn women's basketball games unlike those WBCA and AAC coaches who were busy with their own teams. These coaches made their picks based on stat sheets and highlight films where Megan dropped a ton of points against Podunk University and Red Gap College. Apparently, they missed Megan's highlights vs SC, Baylor and Oregon because there weren't any, eh?
Megan was UCONN's second leading scorer and or rebounder against SC, Baylor and Oregon. No player on UCONN's team played particular well against SC, Baylor and Oregon but I understand why you would want to blame Megan solely- this fits your narrative of dislike (hate?) eh? Wasn't Aubrey supposed to be leading UCONN in scoring during at least some of those games?

Reaction Score
Megan was UCONN's second leading scorer and or rebounder against SC, Baylor and Oregon. No player on UCONN's team played particular well against SC, Baylor and Oregon but I understand why you would want to blame Megan solely- this fits your narrative of dislike (hate?) eh? Wasn't Aubrey supposed to be leading UCONN in scoring during at least some of those games?
Let's stick to basketball, eh? I don't dislike Megan at all. I don't even know her.
And I have every confidence that Geno would only recruit nice kids, i.e. kids who would fit in with his program.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Let's stick to basketball, eh? I don't dislike Megan at all. I don't even know her.
And I have every confidence that Geno would only recruit nice kids, i.e. kids who would fit in with his program.
Anyone on the BY who knows Geno even slightly would guarantee you that if the behaviors you and @Jordy are alleging (Megan and Crystal not passing the ball to open teammates) were to ever happen Geno would not only have noticed it but he would have instantly put a stop to it.

Reaction Score
I believe that after she went "0 for America" she shot almost 48 percent from the 3 pt line and ended up shooting over 41 percent for the season. If she continues to play the way that she did the second half of the season than she just might be an AA at the end of the year.
Is that legal?? She is from Poland

Reaction Score
We LOVE Ania here... I think her effort was fantastic last year and we are looking for even better play for a veteran player now. We can't wait to see the team on the floor against a couple of good teams...

Reaction Score
Anyone on the BY who knows Geno even slightly would guarantee you that if the behaviors you and @Jordy are alleging (Megan and Crystal not passing the ball to open teammates) were to ever happen Geno would not only have noticed it but he would have instantly put a stop to it.
Yes, on many occasions, we were wondering eggzackly THAT, i.e. why Geno didn't put a stop to Megan's lack of team play. When I say 'we', i m referring to a group of very basketball-savvy Long Island/NYC Husky watchers, eh? It was a hot topic!

Reaction Score
Yes, on many occasions, we were wondering eggzackly THAT, i.e. why Geno didn't put a stop to Megan's lack of team play. When I say 'we', i m referring to a group of very basketball-savvy Long Island/NYC Husky watchers, eh? It was a hot topic!

Agree it was a hot topic. Don't necessarily agree about the "very basketball-savvy" part.;)

Reaction Score
:eek: Especially not from Long Island.
Tell that to Long Islanders Chamique, Sue Bird, Tina Charles, Sammy Prahalis, Margaret McKeon, Bria Hatley et al! haha
PS - and their coaches
PS2 - and #1 nationally in girls' high school basketball according to USA Today :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Tell that to Long Islanders Chamique, Sue Bird, Tina Charles, Sammy Prahalis, Margaret McKeon, Bria Hatley et al! haha
PS - and their coaches
PS2 - and #1 nationally in girls' high school basketball according to USA Today :)
:eek: Tina Charles reps Jamaica, Queens and Christ the King is also in Queens. I'm sure that's not the "company" you were referring to earlier.

Reaction Score
:eek: Tina Charles reps Jamaica, Queens and Christ the King is also in Queens. I'm sure that's not the "company" you were referring to earlier.
Pls get out your map which will show that Long Island is truly an island, surrounded by water and is comprised of four counties: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau&Suffolk. I went to high school in Brooklyn [Brooklyn Tech] and taught mathematics at Christ the King in Queens where my two daughters were All-City in hoops. Chamique&Tina are from Queens, Sue is from Nassau, and Bria is from Suffolk.
To answer your question: YES we are basketball-savvy in this neck o' the woods, Long Island!

Reaction Score
What were Geno's other options besides playing Anna 26 Minutes per game last year? Anna WAS NOT the best "proven" 3 point shooter on the team last year -Megan Walker was! For a "watchdog" you powers of observation seem to be severely lacking.

You say, "For a "watchdog" you powers of observation seem to be severely lacking."
To which I reply, you're so worked up about Anna you didn't see the words THIS YEAR.
My quote
:"Not only the best proven 3 point shooter on this year's team but also second in assists to Crystal Dangerfield on last year's team by only 13."

Who else would you say is the best proven 3 point shooter on this year's team?

Now you appear to be saying Anna played 26 minutes per game because the bench was so lousy. Well, Geno has his reasons, but if you objectively look at Anna's stat line for 3's, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks compared to CD, CW and MW, what more would you want from an unheralded freshman playing 25% fewer minutes than the other starters? Her stats are pretty remarkable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think I've ever been negative about Anna, I think she is the greatest! I wrote the above in response to a fairly negative piece and was trying to temper my response so as not to be nasty. But the gist of my point remains that Anna accomplished a lot on the court her freshman year including the highlight reel plays of the year (in my eyes) despite having to tackle the off-the-court struggles inherent in being a first-year foreign student.

Please don't misunderstand. That was not directed at you.

Reaction Score

Of course, none of us can prove MW, CD and CW purposely didn't pass to Anna when she was open unless we rewatch all the games (mainly last half of the season as I recall) but my wife and I saw it happen a number of times. No finer authorities on the details of game action I might add! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Sorry, Jingo, but in common parlance a Long Islander (which I was during the formative years) is someone from Nassau or Suffolk county, period. Someone from Brooklyn or Queens might say they're from "the City," although that term usually means Manhattan only. Manhattanites might refer to them derogitively as part of "the bridge and tunnel crowd" along with people from Joisey. Anyway, I assumed you to be Canadian, eh!!!

Reaction Score
Sorry, Jingo, but in common parlance a Long Islander (which I was during the formative years) is someone from Nassau or Suffolk county, period. Someone from Brooklyn or Queens might say they're from "the City," although that term usually means Manhattan only. Manhattanites might refer to them derogitively as part of "the bridge and tunnel crowd" along with people from Joisey. Anyway, I assumed you to be Canadian, eh!!!
Yes I agree with you [ common parlance] .. but someone was splitting hairs, so I split hairs right back .. and of course [technically] i m right, i.e. Brooklyn and Queens ARE part of Long Island, eh?
No, i m not Canadian, rather, born & bred in Noo Yawk! :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You say, "For a "watchdog" you powers of observation seem to be severely lacking."
To which I reply, you're so worked up about Anna you didn't see the words THIS YEAR.
My quote
:"Not only the best proven 3 point shooter on this year's team but also second in assists to Crystal Dangerfield on last year's team by only 13."
Now you appear to be saying Anna played 26 minutes per game because the bench was so lousy. Well, Geno has his reasons, but if you objectively look at Anna's stat line for 3's, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks compared to CD, CW and MW, what more would you want from an unheralded freshman playing 25% fewer minutes than the other starters? Her stats are pretty remarkable.
Some times we see what we want to see especially if our spouses are the ones pointing it out.
Anna is best returning 3pt shooter among the returning players. "Proven" is subjective and rather purposely selective on your part. I could easily flip that moniker of "proven" and point out Ann is also the worst shooter among the returning player=lowest FG %. Aubrey would be best rebounder on a per minute played basis, ONO the best shot blocker. The bench was lousy and non existent last year. I'm surprise you missed that and more surprised that it has not been pointed out to you. Anna had a good season for a Freshman not a remarkable one. A "remarkable" freshman season (especially at UCONN) would have easily won AAC freshman of the year. Winning AAC freshman of the year would have had Anna in the conversation for National Freshman of the year. What Anna achieve was being named as 1 of 6 best freshman in the AAC last year. That's good but hardly "remarkable".

Reaction Score
Enough trashing Anna and/or MW. Also too much time trying get so glean "facts" from stats. Is Anna fleet of foot? Well, she has "Larry Bird" speed. Maybe her best attribute is she is a calming influence when the other 4 players on the court need a calming influence. She did not play like a freshman, and she won't this year (if there is a this year).
I would add that Anna was consistent in her play last year, getting better as the year developed. Made others better via movement, passing, and shooting that opened the court. Great assets for coaches like Geno that want to develop a predictable, measurable, winning game plan. Upside is a wonderful thing, but when player's performance goes up and down, it drives coaches crazy. Suspect Geno sees her as easy to coach which will translate to minutes played.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
My quote

After all the Anna can't do this and Anna can do what ever, I think she was in the right spot at the right time for the Huskies. Where would they have been without her?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom