Anna Anyone? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Anna Anyone?

Reaction Score
Yes, apparently from post to post.
Aubrey can still lead .. she has SO many ways to score .. now, if she can just hit that pull-up "J" that she's been working on with her brothers all summer, eh? :)

Reaction Score
Ever see the movie "Miracle?"
No, but I did see the US [amateur] Hockey team defeat the most overpaid set of Russian hockey players who were theoretically part of the Russian Army at Lake Placid, NY in the 1980 Winter Olympics tape delayed in Iowa.... I believe you may be referring to Herb Brooks as the team builder in that realm life action.

Reaction Score
The MSG and I both proudly represent the Senior Branch of the US Armed Services.
Much respect to the those like yourself who proudly represent the junior branches. :D
Submarine?
View attachment 61993
When I was teaching calculus-based dual credit Physics over at Warren Central H.S. (student population 3800), my Science Department Chair had a son in the Marines. She used have fun saying that the Marines were in the department of the Navy, "The Mens Department!"

Just so you know, I never lost an athletic competition to my Marine counterpart in football, basketball, volleyball or softball. Not that I would challenge the active duty folks at this point, but my last win was when I was 44 years old and those Marines were fresh off of demobilization with three months of volleyball on the beach after they "stomped Hussein's Republican Guard" and I had a make-shift group of Navy reserves who practiced for one hour. Sad to say, that I was the best the Navy had to offer, but it was enough to win two games out of three.

I am very gravitationally challenged these days, but back in the day, I could hit my elbows on the basketball rim from a standing start or get my shoulders above the net in volleyball.

Reaction Score
Walker averaged 20pts, 8rbs, and out shot Makurat in EVERY possible metric, and you think Makurat's 8pts and 4 rbs per game made her an equal contributor to Walker? I'm sorry, but that is utterly absurd and borderline delusional! Statistically, Makurat was NOT even half as good as Walker was.
Anna was a foreign freshman last year, Megan a third year player. In her third year Anna could well be national POY. I never really understood what made Megan, a really good player, first team AA, other than it was required that a UConn player be on the team.

Reaction Score
Anna will average 25 pts a game. You can take that to the bank. Maybe! Conjecture and speculation are running rampant on the boneyard as we anxiously await our first game. I am chewing my fingernails and watching
Pac 10 games. Maybe I will watch all of Paige's HS games or dream of Azzi and Paige in the same backcourt. I am going crazy. Please don't cancel anymore games.
I think you will be the sole depositor in that bank.

Reaction Score
Q: Absolutely. While we had ONE very good passer last year- who was the other that could pass to AMak?
A: Assists totals from last year Megan-92, CW-72, CD-118, ONO-89 Anna-105. The short answer is that Anna was on the floor with 4 other very capable passers not 1.

C: This year we have 4 players on the Wooden list. How many were on last year? And we have two that are considered good - to great passing guards- how many were on last year?
R: Which two? BTW great passing guards are usually on the Liberman list that might be the place to look. Evina put up good assist number her last year at TN. She also had a lot of turnovers. I don't remember if Evina was on the Liberman after either of her season at TN but maybe if she had under 100 turnovers she might have been.

C: In fact it is highly probable that the 3rd pg on this team will be superior to last year's 2nd best pass pg. So how doesn't this add to something potentially more positive?
R: Why would you go a Molly like that, what she ever do to you?

C: Last year we ended up 5th in the country - this year we are projected about 3rd. That's better looking too.
R: 5th, did we get a trophy for that? I don't think you get a trophy for finishing where you are projected to finish. I aiming at least two spots higher which is more achievable this year that it was last year.
[/QUOTE]

I read your 1st answer - and just refuse to read anymore. :)
Sometimes you get so "dug in" on these posts.

Whatever if you want to believe the 2nd and 3rd passers last year are as good as this year's or whatever variant of this - I'm not going to fight with you when you get dug in like this.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m not taking anything away from Anna, I just think she won’t have the ball in her hands as much this season with Paige and Westbrook on the floor, I’m seeing her in more of a stretch four type of role, maybe a point forward type of role. Paige and Evina bring a different dynamic to the time, with an ability to get in the lane and to the rim, something UConn hasn’t really had since Jefferson maybe. Williams has done it at times but not consistently. There are a few videos online of Westbrook at full go since her surgeries, Geno has said that she’s not in shape for UConn standards but that should work itself out once she’s playing on the court, I still think she would have been the 5th starter last year if she was eligible bad knees and all.

If CWill is not hitting her outside her shot-- who do you think Paige and Evina are going to look to pass to take 3's? I tend to agree she won't have the ball in her hands "as much." But possibly she'll be being set up to take 3's.

If you sh0ot 40-45% from 3 that's equivalent to an Efficiency Field Goal % of 60% - 67.5% from 2.

So where's the logic of not passing the ball to a player that has the capability to shoot like this? Unless you just aren't a fan of the perimeter 3pt game? :)

**If she is hitting 40% - 45% from 3 - you are all for having our guards feed her the ball quite a bit more than last year, right?

And the person that said AMAk is going to average 25 ppg-- no way no how no way no how no way no how. :):)

Reaction Score
Anna will average 25 pts a game. You can take that to the bank. Maybe! Conjecture and speculation are running rampant on the boneyard as we anxiously await our first game. I am chewing my fingernails and watching
Pac 10 games. Maybe I will watch all of Paige's HS games or dream of Azzi and Paige in the same backcourt. I am going crazy. Please don't cancel anymore games.
I think Anna will average in the 15-18 pt range with an average of about 5-6 assists and 4-5 rebounds.

Reaction Score
I think Anna will average in the 15-18 pt range with an average of about 5-6 assists and 4-5 rebounds.

Extremely extremely extremely doubtful 18 ppg. And aren't you someone who wants to see a deep bench? A deep bench and you think she'll average 6 assists???????????? Bird and MoJeff never averaged 6.

Reaction Score
Not a chance, 10pts 3ast, 4 rebs tops, she is going to lose PT this year.

Reaction Score
I love me some Anna. She worked her way back into the starting lineup last season and improved in leaps and bounds. In fact, the 2nd half was almost a sophomore type leap for her.

I do think she has AA potential down the road. But 2 things are working against her for this season IMHO...
  1. There are at least 2 other players who will likely have better stats (Olivia and Christyn), and depending on the type of season Evina and Paige have, both could eclipse her production as well.
  2. The pre-season watch lists are mostly based on reputation, publicity, and lobbying (well maybe that is more for the end of year awards) by individual coaches/programs. Anna doesn't have people hyping the snot out of her on ESPN or other outlets.
But anything can happen. Heck, Boston, who was hyped non-stop before the season started, is only averaging 11 PPG and 8 RPG. There are at least 50 players with better stats whether guards, wings, or post players. Another example - Tennessee - Rennia Davis was tapped as a pre-season awards watch player, but Rae Burrell has far better stats after the first few games. That's why they play the games - pre-season watch list turns into mid-season watch turns into post season awards.

Getting back to Anna - with so many talented players on UCONN, I don't see her beating out 2 or 3 other players for awards. I DO think she's on the wall of honor by her senior season - whether that happens next season or her senior year remains to be seen. Go Anna!!
I agree with No.2. Awards for the women are basically given to players in the beginning of the year. Also Anna will be a numbers victim at UConn like other players in the past.
Having said that Anna reminds me of Henefield from the dream team. Her maturity level will be a plus. She will surprise everyone this year not in a UConn uniform.

Reaction Score
It is ABSOLUTELY a statement of fact, last year UConn had basically a 6 player rotation after Makurat regained her starting job, this year they will have to find time for at least 8 and possibly 9.
With this statement yes she probably will lose playing time but so will other players because of a possible deeper bench. It won't be because of her talent.

Reaction Score
I can tell you that Megan was named an All-American and I think that even last year, that Anna was at least as much a contributor as was Megan .... I recently wrote that I thought that she was not deserving of A/A status but that was after she'd been in the program for three years ... Anna came to the Huskies from a different country and her melding into UConn basketball and the American culture had to be quite difficult and particularly in the latter part of her season, she was a significant asset to this team .... in my mind, at least on the level of Megan and to suggest that she's less than A/A material when Megan was awarded A/A status, doesn't jive with me .... I feel that she's only going to get better and the fact that she's reporting to the team seemingly in better shape, having trimmed down, suggests that we haven't yet seen her ceiling ....
Megan didn't deserve to be AA. She was out played in the 3 games that mattered. She wasn't a leader on the floor. She was selfish on offense and she hurt her team more than helping it.

Reaction Score
Walker averaged 20pts, 8rbs, and out shot Makurat in EVERY possible metric, and you think Makurat's 8pts and 4 rbs per game made her an equal contributor to Walker? I'm sorry, but that is utterly absurd and borderline delusional! Statistically, Makurat was NOT even half as good as Walker was.
Walker was outplayed against Baylor, Oregon and South Carolina. She was selfish and terrible leader. Wasn't one of the ten best players in the country last year IMO

Reaction Score
On the passing part of the debate here I want to make two points. First Uconn as a team always has very good numbers on assists and assist/turnover ratio. That is true even when the natural ability in that area is mediocre, at least by Uconn standards.

The Uconn coaching can take a player who is used to being the number one option in high school, and turn that player into one who makes sound passes, while weaning them away from bad decisions and turnovers. I would argue that last year's team was largely made up of players like that. What they didn't have much of, was that more unique creative passing and instincts, that only a small percentage of players are blessed with.

In my opinion Anna was the only player on last year's team that was gifted in that way. Yes Crystal was a good passer, but by Uconn standards pretty close to what is expected from their point guards in most years. Liv was a good passer compared to other team's bigs, but Uconn bigs usually are much better than other teams on assists vs. turnovers. The only player with a truly special passing ability relative to their position was Anna.

The other point is CW made a comment about how there seemed to be more open shots coming from this group, or something along that line. I think she mentioned Paige, I'm not sure, but she also said Nika's passes were "crazy good". Both Anna and CW should benefit from the arrival of two exceptional and creative passers, and perhaps by the departure of Walker as well, not from an overall standpoint but regarding ball movement. CW's down season occurred the same season as Walker emerged as the number one threat.

Coincidence? maybe but CW seems happier with this group.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I read your 1st answer - and just refuse to read anymore. :)
Sometimes you get so "dug in" on these posts.
Whatever if you want to believe the 2nd and 3rd passers last year are as good as this year's or whatever variant of this - I'm not going to beat with you when you get dug in like this.
So you are giving up?

Reaction Score
Megan didn't deserve to be AA. She was out played in the 3 games that mattered. She wasn't a leader on the floor. She was selfish on offense and she hurt her team more than helping it.

Nonsense

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
Finally, a full bench, no seniors, and potential significant contributors beyond the first six players, and a forced extended "hot stove season" replete with speculation and predictions about many players. Not taking anything away from those often mentioned, I think a player with exciting prospects and possibly an All American year ahead is the one not so often mentioned in the Boneyard or on any prominent national list: Anna Makurat. I could sign her praises but prefer to throw her name out for your comments. I think that anyone who saw her at her best last season and is aware of her skills knows that she could bloom into one of the best players we have ever had.
I have read this thread in totality and it really has devolved into a mess of goofy attacks and counter attacks by posters I see regularly on the BY (and respect). We just need the season to start so we can debate something useful. Any discussion of awards should wait until March.

BTW I really like Anna and believe she is one of the keys to a successful season.

Reaction Score
This should be a fun year to watch since many players on the team have the potential to score 25+ in a game. While I expect Anna to have several games where she is the leading scorer, with so much talent and Geno's tendency to rotate players, doubt anyone on team will average over 18. This is a good thing if you want to win it all.

Reaction Score
Anna averaged over 13 a game down the stretch and shot a very high percentage. She also does a lot of little things that help the offense operate more smoothly. She has terrific hands and passing skills, which leads to more opportunities for others. She is a decent rebounder and very good at team defense...yes very good at team defense..anticipates passing lanes. She just knows how to play the game. The game has really slowed down for her. She also has good size and length. She has a good handle and helps on the press as well. Can see over the press and make teams pay. Very good on the offensive end...You cant leave her or you will pay with multiple threes, which stretch the floor and opens up things in the middle. She's good---really good!

Now on the downside, she is not very athletic and could be mismatched in some games. But this can be masked with coaching, Anna's growth within the defence scheme and her ability to anticipate as well as having a shot blocker to protect the basket. She also has good length which helps her with her lack of quickness. In saying that, you will probably see players beat her of the dribble.

Comparisons are hard and never 100% true but Henefield back in the 90s comes to mind.

I remember a maria conlon who was similar in athleticism to Anna as well. There was a long thread about maria never getting any PT due to her athletic limitations but yet she started on 2 (I believe) NC teams. Yes I know we didnt have much else to replace her and we had DT, but honestly, didnt she perform a lot better than most thought. I remember teams trying to leave her for a double team and she made them pay with a 3 once or twice a game. Some players can just overcome their lack of athleticism and Anna is 5-6 inches taller than Maria.

Just let her sit at the 3 pt line and receive the kickout three when others dribble penetrate. She may not always start, but put her down for a dozen a game. Shoots to well not to have that and impacts the game in many other ways, in particular her passing ability. I have a sneaky suspicion she will be good at drawing fouls too - very clever. She WILL impact the game.

The above is at minimum. If she makes a big leap as many sophs do, you can count on the above and then some.

Last edited:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Welcome aboard Jazz, looking forward to seeing what you have to say!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom