Anna Anyone? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Anna Anyone?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There is ZERO chance that Westbrook doesn't start.
Many said the same about Azura Stevens yet Crystal beat her out for a starting position. Evina might be a 1 year investment for UCONN. Every other player on the the team is at least double that.

Reaction Score
I love me some Anna. She worked her way back into the starting lineup last season and improved in leaps and bounds. In fact, the 2nd half was almost a sophomore type leap for her.

I do think she has AA potential down the road. But 2 things are working against her for this season IMHO...
  1. There are at least 2 other players who will likely have better stats (Olivia and Christyn), and depending on the type of season Evina and Paige have, both could eclipse her production as well.
  2. The pre-season watch lists are mostly based on reputation, publicity, and lobbying (well maybe that is more for the end of year awards) by individual coaches/programs. Anna doesn't have people hyping the snot out of her on ESPN or other outlets.
But anything can happen. Heck, Boston, who was hyped non-stop before the season started, is only averaging 11 PPG and 8 RPG. There are at least 50 players with better stats whether guards, wings, or post players. Another example - Tennessee - Rennia Davis was tapped as a pre-season awards watch player, but Rae Burrell has far better stats after the first few games. That's why they play the games - pre-season watch list turns into mid-season watch turns into post season awards.

Getting back to Anna - with so many talented players on UCONN, I don't see her beating out 2 or 3 other players for awards. I DO think she's on the wall of honor by her senior season - whether that happens next season or her senior year remains to be seen. Go Anna!!
Have to agree with your assessment of UConn's talent level but reverse your assessment of Anna. With Paige, ONO, etc. dominating, the ball will get to Anna. If she can hit 40%+ of her 3's, all star awards will follow.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Have to agree with your assessment of UConn's talent level but reverse your assessment of Anna. With Paige, ONO, etc. dominating, the ball will get to Anna. If she can hit 40%+ of her 3's, all star awards will follow.
All star awards are not going to come from shooting 40%+ from deep, otherwise Anna would have been an all-star last year when she shot 41% Anna was not even named one of the top Freshman in the country . Two season ago the UCONN backcourt of Kia and Crystal both shot 44% from deep and neither was named an all-star.

Reaction Score
All star awards are not going to come from shooting 40%+ from deep, otherwise Anna would have been an all-star last year when she shot 41% Anna was not even named one of the top Freshman in the country . Two season ago the UCONN backcourt of Kia and Crystal both shot 44% from deep and neither was named an all-star.
But remember she ended the season shooting 48% from 3. The 41% includes her opening 0 for America. If she starts where she left off, I think you may have to rework your argument. We've already established that 48% gets her into KML territory....

Reaction Score
Ofc she can be an All-American this year. Just because she can be an A/A doesn't means she is POY.
If CWill isn't shooting well - then who do we think is Paige, Evina, And Nika are going to look for on fastbreaks? They are going to look for the 40-45% 3 point shooter (with size).

In addition some teams are going to want to play zone to limit Paige and Evina from getting into the paint without significant help. SO who will benefit a lot from this? Our top tier 3 point shooter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Nika is as good as advertised, I think she is part of the main rotation all the way through.

She'll play if only for her fearless play and her ball skills. The amount will be based on how she scores.

Reaction Score

If UConn pushes in transition and Bueckers is as good at driving as I think then Makurat will have lots of open looks outside, especially when she is guarded by a 4.

There are so many possible lineups and muti-position players it's going to be fun watching.

Reaction Score
I hate these threads because it makes it look like I am bashing a player, I am not! Makurat is a hell of a player, but far too often people on this forum through around "All American". AA players are special, I know we are spoiled at UConn because we get so many of them, but I just think it is disrespectful to label virtually every good player UConn currently has as an AA candidate when they have done very little to fit the criteria of an AA, that is all.

In fairness, you just didn’t say Anna wasn’t an AA this year. You said she was “NOWHERE near” AA level ( all caps yours). And you used lots of exclamation points when doing it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But remember she ended the season shooting 48% from 3. The 41% includes her opening 0 for America. If she starts where she left off, I think you may have to rework your argument. We've already established that 48% gets her into KML territory....
I have a better idea, why don we just evaluate Anna the same way we do every other UCONN WBB player past or present ,by answering this simple question: How did Ann perform in UCONN biggest games of the season last year Baylor, South Carolina and Oregon?

Game
Minutes
FG/FGA
3FG/3FGA
Assists
36​
5/9​
3/7​
4​
13​
Baylor​
18​
1/2​
1/1​
1​
3​
South Carolina​
25​
0/5​
0/3​
1​
0​
Averages
37.5%
36%

If we want to give Anna or ONO for that matter, credit for being AAC warriors then by all means let's do that. If you want to talk about what it takes to be a UCONN warrior you should already know. It takes the ability to impact meaningful games. That ability has not been demonstrated yet by Anna or Sophomore ONO. Anna still has time, ONO is running out of time.

Reaction Score
I have a better idea, why don we just evaluate Anna the same way we do every other UCONN WBB player past or present ,by answering this simple question: How did Ann perform in UCONN biggest games of the season last year Baylor, South Carolina and Oregon?

Game
Minutes
FG/FGA
3FG/3FGA
Assists
36​
5/9​
3/7​
4​
13​
Baylor​
18​
1/2​
1/1​
1​
3​
South Carolina​
25​
0/5​
0/3​
1​
0​
Averages
37.5%
36%

If we want to give Anna or ONO for that matter, credit for being AAC warriors then by all means let's do that. If you want to talk about what it takes to be a UCONN warrior you should already know. It takes the ability to impact meaningful games. That ability has not been demonstrated yet by Anna or Sophomore ONO. Anna still has time, ONO is running out of time.
And Walker laid an egg in that analysis last year too...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If UConn pushes in transition and Bueckers is as good at driving as I think then Makurat will have lots of open looks outside, especially when she is guarded by a 4.
There are so many possible lineups and muti-position players it's going to be fun watching.
It going to be fun watching until UCONN has to play defense and rebound. Even in the best case where Makurat become this mythical KML/KLS level shooter UCONN would still struggle to defend. What made it possible for both KML and KLS to become almost 4 year starters was not only their prolific shooting but the presence of DPOY caliber player(s) on the UCONN roster (Faris, Stokes, Jefferson, Williams, Nurse, & Collier) who could help compensate for the defense liabilities of KML & KLS. It should be noted that both KLS and KML improved their defensive technique tremendously while at UCONN.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And Walker laid an egg in that analysis last year too...
She absolutely did which is why her name would never be brought up (at least not by me) if we are talking about UCONN warriors .

Reaction Score

Game
Minutes
FG/FGA
3FG/3FGA
Assists
36​
5/9​
3/7​
4​
13​
Baylor​
18​
1/2​
1/1​
1​
3​
South Carolina​
25​
0/5​
0/3​
1​
0​
Averages
37.5%
36%

Is there one of these for Williams? Seems like she would defer to her teammates at times last year, that’s why I question if she will reach all American status this year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is there one of these for Williams? Seems like she would defer to her teammates at times last year, that’s why I question if she will reach all American status this year.
Christyn had a bad season last year, however at least she had her freshman campaign to fall back on.
That freshman campaign including beasting ND @ND right out the gate and she did finish the season averaging 17 PPG in the NCAA tournament. That is the reason it makes me laugh when I hear things like Anna is going to pick up the season right where she left off. It just does work that way.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
She'll play if only for her fearless play and her ball skills. The amount will be based on how she scores.
Maybe, maybe not as for your scoring statement. Jefferson did not score a lot as a freshman but played quite a bit. She even got to play in crunch time in the FF.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Someone asked why Anna (Ania?) hasn't been touted on the board much this season. I believe it has to do with her slow start, not only shooting poorly but passing poorly and lacking foot speed. Old Huskie (sic) described her as having "ordinary athletic skills." I agree. Perhaps it was all about breaking in, but I saw little special about her.
How much she plays depends, IMO, in how Edwards works out. If Aaliyah can be strong on the boards, she should get the bulk of the playing time. Anna isn't primarily a rebounder. She's a long distance shooter. We have plenty of those. We're deficient where we have been historically--on the inside. Makurat is, at the minimum, a nice player to bring off the bench. But I think the starters will be Paige, Evina, Christyn, Liv, and Edwards. (This assumes the other variable: Westbrook's health.)
Can't wait.
Who are the plenty of long distance shooters, accurate long distance shooters? A team can never have too many of those.

Reaction Score
Maybe, maybe not as for your scoring statement. Jefferson did not score a lot as a freshman but played quite a bit. She even got to play in crunch time in the FF.

Jefferson didn't have Bueckers as a freshman team mate.

Reaction Score
A lot has to happen for her to reach AA. She’ll need to dominate the ball. She’ll need the green light from Geno. She’ll need to develop a killer instinct. She’ll need the support of the 2 returning upperclassmen and the accomplished Tennessee transfer and probably Paige. I don’t know if she’ll get all that. I wouldn’t mind seeing it though. I do think she will have a bigger influence on the team this year. I think she starts often.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Jefferson didn't have Bueckers as a freshman team mate.
No,.... she had more, much much more! She had AA Bria Hartley. She had Caroline Doty who was a starter on a National Championship team. She had Kelly Faris (The syklar Diggins Terminator) and if not for the presence of Britney Griner would have easily won multiple NDPOY awards.

Reaction Score
No,.... she had more, much much more! She had AA Bria Hartley. She had Caroline Doty who was a starter on a National Championship team. She had Kelly Faris (The syklar Diggins Terminator) and if not for the presence of Britney Griner would have easily won multiple NDPOY awards.

Neither Hartley nor Faris were pg's and Doty's knees had betrayed her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Neither Hartley nor Faris were pg's and Doty's knees had betrayed her.
Please consult your UCONN WBB Media guide. Right there on page 85 is says Bria Hartley is 6th all time in Assists at UCONN. Not only could Bria play the point she actually did in her AA season 2011-12 when UCONN started a 4 guard lineup.

Reaction Score
Ah, I don't know if anyone cares about my opinion, but at some point between now and the NC, the wheels may start to come off (think of DT losing to Harry's Villanova in the RAC when Uconn couldn't throw the ball in the ocean and hit water). If that happens, Geno will look to players who won't bite the apple. Anna is cool headed and plays under control.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom