Angel Reese Narrows List to 5 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Angel Reese Narrows List to 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Completely different era now though. For this decade about 1/3 of UCONN's shot attempts have come from beyond the arc from all positions even from players like Kiah Stokes. The 3 ball in transition has become one of UCONN's most lethal weapons. Back in Swin's day typically 1/4 ( at most) of the shot attempts came from beyond the arc and the bulk of those came from a few players mostly guards ( Sue, Maria Conlon & DT). Today's UCONN forwards and post players have got to be able to shoot the 3 ball. BTW Swin did attempt 1 3PT shot while at UCONN, it came during her senior year.
The three is overrated. This year Baylor showed that strong defense combined with purposeful inside offense can still win championships.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The three is overrated. This year Baylor showed that strong defense combined with purposeful inside offense can still win championships.

Baylor is a rarity. How many teams have multiple elite players that are 6-4 and 6-7?

And while it may not have been threes, does Baylor win the title without Chloe Jackson's shot-making? Not likely.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
:D Why am I not surprised that a Lady Vols fan would think the 3 ball is overrated.
That purposeful inside offense and strong defense sounds like it is straight from the Pat play book and a philosophy which Holly found little success in executing.
You can certainly win a NC without heavy reliance on 3 ball as South Carolina and Baylor did.
Last 3 NCAA Champions:
Baylor 3ptFGA 314 of 2464 FGA =(12.7%)
ND 3ptFGA 502 of 2487 FGA = (20%)
South Carolina 3ptFGA 549 of 2155 FGA (25.5%)
So yes Baylor was quite the anomaly. Specific to UCONN the philosophy of spreading the floor and recruiting players that can actually shoot the 3 ball makes that inside offense more potent not less and a strong defense more necessary=best of both worlds=Championships=aka modern basketball.

Reaction Score
:D Why am I not surprised that a Lady Vols fan would think the 3 ball is overrated.
That purposeful inside offense and strong defense sounds like it is straight from the Pat play book and a philosophy which Holly found little success in executing.
You can certainly win a NC without heavy reliance on 3 ball as South Carolina and Baylor did.
Last 3 NCAA Champions:
Baylor 3ptFGA 314 of 2464 FGA =(12.7%)
ND 3ptFGA 502 of 2487 FGA = (20%)
South Carolina 3ptFGA 549 of 2155 FGA (25.5%)
So yes Baylor was quite the anomaly. Specific to UCONN the philosophy of spreading the floor and recruiting players that can actually shoot the 3 ball makes that inside offense more potent not less and a strong defense more necessary=best of both worlds=Championships=aka modern basketball.
You're not wrong; I'm just claiming that you don't have to shoot the three to win. I loved watching the high low game of Baylor, something that has nearly disappeared from basketball until this year (along with Notre Dame). And yes, If Chloe Jackson didn't hit the many midrange shots she made, Baylor would not have even made the championship game.
Also, the idea that Summitt didn't emphasize the three is straight up wrong. Shannon Bobbit was an excellent 3 point shooter. Stricklen readily shot the three during her time at UT. Simmons readily shot the three. Summitt began to emphasize the three around the same time that everyone else started to emphasize the three. Go back and watch older games...UConn wasn't shooting more threes than others before it became popular.
I'm also biased because I'm an inside player and can't shoot threes when I play, lol.

Reaction Score
Reese looked pretty unique in the game posted in the Mir to UConn thread. Not often do you see a player running the point on one end, and defending the center on the other end, Candace Parker and Ben Simmons are the only players I can think of. I also noticed that she seemed to be excited when a teammate made a play, I wonder what it is about her that her game during the AAU season and the high school season are so different, maybe it’s because she has to play center for her high school team.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Reese looked pretty unique in the game posted in the Mir to UConn thread. Not often do you see a player running the point on one end, and defending the center on the other end, Candace Parker and Ben Simmons are the only players I can think of. I also noticed that she seemed to be excited when a teammate made a play, I wonder what it is about her that her game during the AAU season and the high school season are so different, maybe it’s because she has to play center for her high school team.
The problem Reese will face is similar to the problem the Greek Freak faced in the playoffs. That being defenders of size willl play off you daring you to drive into size or give up the ball. It also hurts your offensive rebounding if your big is always on the perimeter. Some teams will sacrifice size against her for quickness, which will slow her handle. If she can't shoot from the arc, hit a pull up, or pass well off of double teams the offense will suffer while her teammates will be shooting with little left on the clock. There's a reason why there's only one Durant, one LeBron and one Leonard. I can't wait for the first "coach wants to change my game" complaint.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The problem Reese will face is similar to the problem the Greek Freak faced in the playoffs. That being defenders of size willl play off you daring you to drive into size or give up the ball. It also hurts your offensive rebounding if your big is always on the perimeter. Some teams will sacrifice size against her for quickness, which will slow her handle. If she can't shoot from the arc, hit a pull up, or pass well off of double teams the offense will suffer while her teammates will be shooting with little left on the clock. There's a reason why there's only one Durant, one LeBron and one Leonard. I can't wait for the first "coach wants to change my game" complaint.
You know Wilson who wanted to be a guard at one time, but ended up playing the four in college never had a “change my game complaint”, so it’s possible Reese won’t complain. For a top 2 kid who had some type of interest in and from UConn at one time, I don’t just understand all the negativity Reese gets from this board from time to time.

Reaction Score
All you have to do is watch the Connecticut Sun and Alyssa Thomas. Alyssa can not shoot the three ball but she has the talent to bring the ball up and initiate the offense. She did that often at Maryland. Angel Reese is forced to do all those things in high school because she is the best ball handler, best rebounder and best interior defender. I don't know how much she will want to bring the ball up in college but most of the teams she is considering have multiple PG options. Especially Maryland.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think some who viewed her video clips saw a somewhat sloppy, less sophisticated offensive player then UConn usually recruits combined with a bit of an attitude about what position she wanted to play.......interestingly McLean also seems to have a less then "finished" offensive game at the moment.....
I note that Mir and Reese know each other well. Both are from MD. They play against each other in HS and together in AAU ball. I would not be surprised if they talk and text to each other.

I find it curious that right about the time Mir announces her commitment to UConn, Reese announces she is no longer interested in UConn. We all know that Geno wants to bring in talented, hard working, team oriented recruits. Did UConn’s offer to Mir trigger Reese’s response? Kids are funny....

Reaction Score
I note that Mir and Reese know each other well. Both are from MD. They play against each other in HS and together in AAU ball. I would not be surprised if they talk and text to each other.

I find it curious that right about the time Mir announces her commitment to UConn, Reese announces she is no longer interested in UConn. We all know that Geno wants to bring in talented, hard working, team oriented recruits. Did UConn’s offer to Mir trigger Reese’s response? Kids are funny....

Or maybe UConn was only to take one and once Reese released her top 5, UConn put the full court press on Mir ?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Or maybe UConn was only to take one and once Reese released her top 5, UConn put the full court press on Mir ?
Could be. Note that Reese released her Top 5 on June 20, the same day Mir visited UConn. Coincidence?

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
You're not wrong; I'm just claiming that you don't have to shoot the three to win. I loved watching the high low game of Baylor, something that has nearly disappeared from basketball until this year (along with Notre Dame). And yes, If Chloe Jackson didn't hit the many midrange shots she made, Baylor would not have even made the championship game.
Also, the idea that Summitt didn't emphasize the three is straight up wrong. Shannon Bobbit was an excellent 3 point shooter. Stricklen readily shot the three during her time at UT. Simmons readily shot the three. Summitt began to emphasize the three around the same time that everyone else started to emphasize the three. Go back and watch older games...UConn wasn't shooting more threes than others before it became popular.
I'm also biased because I'm an inside player and can't shoot threes when I play, lol.

The last of Summitt's titles, 2007 and 2008, there were 2 capable 3 point shooters in the starting line up. In 2007, it was Bobbitt and the Spencer, who struck like a Viper. UConn fans should remember her well. Then in 2008, it was Bobbitt and Bjorklund. Angie didn't start during the tourney, but she was still very much a part of that team and being on the court kept the defense spread out.

This theory from some that Pat didn't use the 3 ball is absolute garbage.

As for Holly, the biggest issues with her failures were injuries and transfers and off the court crap. Most coaches would have failed under those circumstances. Was Holly the greatest? Hell no! But the record alone does not tell the whole story.

Kellie will right the ship! And she has shooters and big bodies and wings players too.

Reaction Score
The last of Summitt's titles, 2007 and 2008, there were 2 capable 3 point shooters in the starting line up. In 2007, it was Bobbitt and the Spencer, who struck like a Viper. UConn fans should remember her well. Then in 2008, it was Bobbitt and Bjorklund. Angie didn't start during the tourney, but she was still very much a part of that team and being on the court kept the defense spread out.

This theory from some that Pat didn't use the 3 ball is absolute garbage.

As for Holly, the biggest issues with her failures were injuries and transfers and off the court crap. Most coaches would have failed under those circumstances. Was Holly the greatest? Hell no! But the record alone does not tell the whole story.

Kellie will right the ship! And she has shooters and big bodies and wings players too.
I hope Jollie does well. She was one of my many favorite players on the Summit teams. Spencer sticks in the mind as does Zolman and of course Lawson as more than fair to midland 3 ball shooters.
You opinion is your opinion. Holly to me an others was failure of coaching. Here "in game" adjustment required the Vol Campus police t send out a dragnet looking for them. The talent Holly recruited were among the best in the country--she did well in her league with them but outside of SEC. Diamond was/is a talent. Often in losing game that was Holly's offense when she had a post and a wing most teams scream for. Even as a Uconn Fan it was frustrating watching what looked like bad coaching or no coaching at all. If the Vol fans were in love with Holly they may have overlooked the obvious but I think those older fans that knew Pat's game had to feel the frustration.

Reaction Score
She doesn’t want UConn so why keep talking about her. There are a lot of good, even great, players coming out of high school. UConn can’t get them all, nor should they. Move on.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She doesn’t want UConn so why keep talking about her. There are a lot of good, even great, players coming out of high school. UConn can’t get them all, nor should they. Move on.
:eek: Ironic that you are the first to write about her in two days. Might be that many & perhaps most have move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom