Angel Reese in the portal | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Angel Reese in the portal

Reaction Score
Agree. While many UConn posters appear to want to load up on bigs, I suspect many other teams are looking at a healthy Fudd and Paige saying they need to load up on defensive guards. I like our chances.
And there are not a lot of A'jai Wilson and Aliyah Boston around. SC has simply had the monopoly.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
In all seriousness, that may be part of the problem. These kids might have pro aspirations and understand they need to be better at both ends of the court. They may want to be at the level of the UConn/So Carolina/Stanford/NC State/Louisvilles so they can compete for spot.
Maybe? But MD has had plenty of excellent alums become pros, including:

Kristi Toliver
Crystal Langhorne
Breona Jones
Alyssa Thomas
Tianna Hawkins
Kaila Charles
SHatori-Walker-Kimbrough
Marissa Coleman

I'd argue they have far better track records than all the players who have transferred out of MD, off the top of my head.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hard to see her logic here? She’s not beating out Boston, they already have Cardoso, Amihere, Feagen, so where are her minutes? I suppose she might beat those others out but they’re not going to be happy and may transfer out as a result.
Boston, Beal, Amihere, Cordosa, Feagin, Watkins. Somebody isn't gonna be real happy.

Reaction Score
Fletcher and Saxton coming back to South Carolina should cut the noise about Owusu and Reese coming for now imo.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
According to NCAA stats as of April 3rd, UConn was the number three team in the country in shooting percentage, well ahead of NC State, Louisville and Stanford......... I don't even see South Carolina in the top 50.......three point shot percentage was a different story.......UConn did not make the top 50..........Part of that is based on PB's numbers which were way down this year........I suspect she'll be much better next year although maybe not up to her freshman level which may have been a one time thing......
I was more comparing them to themselves. Usually, IIRC, UCONN shoots 50% or better overall. And yes much better 3pt shooting normally.

I agree, I think it will improve next year, especially with The Kid, Fudd and CFD taking more shots.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Kristi Toliver
Crystal Langhorne
Breona Jones
Alyssa Thomas
Tianna Hawkins
Kaila Charles
SHatori-Walker-Kimbrough
Marissa Coleman

I'd argue they have far better track records than all the players who have transferred out of MD, off the top of my head.
Facts rarely get in the way of the perceptions of teenaged girls.

Reaction Score
For those who have failed to actually look at next years roster.

We have

1/2/3 spots - The Kid, Fudd, Muhl, CFD (that's 4 for 3 spots)

4/5 spots - Edwards, Juhasz, Griffin, DeBerry, Brady, Patterson, Gabriel (that's 7 for 2 spots)

Yea, we are probably going to have to use Griffin or Patterson or ??? at the 3 spot some. Which isn't really ideal.
Another guard is still needed. Doesn't have to be a scorer. She just needs to be quick and fast. We have the shooters.

sun

Reaction Score
It's hard to believe that some folks think that there's not enough room on the team for another player, especially of Reese's caliber.
We're losing 3 seniors and have 2 incoming recruits who haven't been tested.
There's open questions about the consequences of injuries to Dorka, Aubrey and even Caroline who is now wearing an anti-concussion device around her neck while playing.
And then there's the 2 bench bigs that some think won't be ready next year.

With additional scorers, UConn may be able to become more of a running team again, even if only against Big East teams.
Even with 4 seniors on this year's team, we lost to Villanova and almost lost to DePaul.
We lost the NC to SC by 15 points, and in last year's FF we lost to Arizona by 10 points.
For whatever reasons that led to the losses, it's easy to see that UConn was missing talent at critical times when absolutely needed.
Illness and injury are not acceptable excuses for a lack of depth on the bench.
Other powerhouse teams have full rosters, and don't usually rely on freshmen to win a NC.
I'm not saying that rookies can't be done, but coaches don't like to put all of their eggs in one basket only to have their hopes dashed, along with all of the UConn fans nationwide.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So, basically, if ( as a HS senior) you were torn between Louisville and Maryland, but chose Maryland, you might ring up the Louisville coach and say, " hey coach, I made a mistake. Are you still interested?" Is it " legal" for that conversation to take place prior to declaring for the portal? I think there must be more " controls" on the process. I do expect that there is a time period involved for both sides; I do believe a kid entering the portal must have some risk ( i.e. maybe 5 schools are interested but none are the school the player was hoping for , etc ). And I think I heard Geno say that many kids who enter the portal wind up with no one calling. So, they are " done " with their current team, but have no where to go. I guess I have to google this
It is not legal for that conversation to take place. If such a call is made the head coach or staff is trained that they must end the conversation and report the contact. It doesn't matter if it's a phone call or the two people pass each other going through a door. Until a player is in the portal coaches cannot accept such calls.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It's hard to believe that some folks think that there's not enough room on the team for another player, especially of Reese's caliber.
We're losing 3 seniors and have 2 incoming recruits who haven't been tested.
There's open questions about the consequences of injuries to Dorka, Aubrey and even Caroline who is now wearing an anti-concussion device around her neck while playing.
And then there's the 2 bench bigs that some think won't be ready next year.

With additional scorers, UConn may be able to become more of a running team again, even if only against Big East teams.
Even with 4 seniors on this year's team, we lost to Villanova and almost lost to DePaul.
We lost the NC to SC by 15 points, and in last year's FF we lost to Arizona by 10 points.
For whatever reasons that led to the losses, it's easy to see that UConn was missing talent at critical times when absolutely needed.
Illness and injury are not acceptable excuses for a lack of depth on the bench.
Other powerhouse teams have full rosters, and don't usually rely on freshmen to win a NC.
I'm not saying that rookies can't be done, but coaches don't like to put all of their eggs in one basket only to have their hopes dashed, along with all of the UConn fans nationwide.
If Angel Reese actually wants to come to Storrs (which I greatly doubt) and if Geno is convinced that she will be a good teammate and citizen when she gets here (same as Evina and Dorka), then I'm sure he will be happy to have her. With her talent, she would make UConn a better team. But those are big questions ...

I think UConn's greater need is for a guard. People have been saying that UConn "only" has four guards for next year (presumably Azzi, Paige, Nika, and Caroline). I would count Caroline and Aubrey as wings rather than guards, which means UConn has only three "true" guards. I think that a fourth guard is needed more than a big. In this respect I agree with @meyers7 , which is unusual in itself.

If a big of the quality of Reese is really interested, then of course Geno should and will take her provided the other questions are answered. But I doubt that anyone like that with an interest in UConn will be found in the transfer portal. I think UConn's front court roster for next year is adequate: Dorka, AE, two incoming freshman, and Amari/Piath.

Reaction Score

Kristi Toliver
Crystal Langhorne
Breona Jones
Alyssa Thomas
Tianna Hawkins
Kaila Charles
SHatori-Walker-Kimbrough
Marissa Coleman

Freese doesn't come off as someone I would enjoy playing for but she somehow manages to get top recruits, has success with them, only to see them leave for greener pastures. The list above shows that some of those who stick it out have successful professional careers. I get sometimes a change of scenery needs to happen but how could so many players have such a disconnect between what they experience in recruiting verses actually playing for the team? It truly amazes me.

Reese claims she wants to play on the perimeter. So did Austin, but Shakira wound up playing down low for Ole Miss and was very successful. I will be curious where she winds up, but even more curious if Maryland continues to draw highly touted players.

Reaction Score

I remember her. She was the one giving SC buckets in the tournament last year. Pretty much kept GT in the game. I think she sat out this whole season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Or us on this board :D
I remember her. She was the one giving SC buckets in the tournament last year. Pretty much kept GT in the game. I think she sat out this whole season.
Guys, I can’t help but wonder if and when all the talent on SC’s roster starts looking around and wondering whether or not they will see any PT next year and what that means for each individual. I believe SC had 16 players on their roster this year. Of those, I only know of 2 who are definitely leaving: Henderson & Grissett. Saxon is coming back. Fletcher is transferring in and 2 top HS players will arrive next season as well.

Before the season, Dawn was calling some parents telling them their daughters were not going to play a lot. It was very interesting that Dawn also took the time to praise the kids that didn’t get a chance to play much at the awards ceremony. I found that a bit unusual to say the least.

So my question for both of you is what’s the buzz down in Columbia on players returning next season? Championships are great to be a part of, but kids want to play, and the more talented they are the more they want to play, and SC has a whole bunch of really talented players

Reaction Score
If Angel Reese actually wants to come to Storrs (which I greatly doubt) and if Geno is convinced that she will be a good teammate and citizen when she gets here (same as Evina and Dorka), then I'm sure he will be happy to have her. With her talent, she would make UConn a better team. But those are big questions ...

I think UConn's greater need is for a guard. People have been saying that UConn "only" has four guards for next year (presumably Azzi, Paige, Nika, and Caroline). I would count Caroline and Aubrey as wings rather than guards, which means UConn has only three "true" guards. I think that a fourth guard is needed more than a big. In this respect I agree with @meyers7 , which is unusual in itself.

If a big of the quality of Reese is really interested, then of course Geno should and will take her provided the other questions are answered. But I doubt that anyone like that with an interest in UConn will be found in the transfer portal. I think UConn's front court roster for next year is adequate: Dorka, AE, two incoming freshman, and Amari/Piath.
I think even suggesting that someone pass a "good citizenship" test is out of bounds here. I haven't heard anything this young lady has done to warrant such an unusual, if not unheard of, level of scrutiny.

Reaction Score
Guys, I can’t help but wonder if and when all the talent on SC’s roster starts looking around and wondering whether or not they will see any PT next year and what that means for each individual. I believe SC had 16 players on their roster this year. Of those, I only know of 2 who are definitely leaving: Henderson & Grissett. Saxon is coming back. Fletcher is transferring in and 2 top HS players will arrive next season as well.

Before the season, Dawn was calling some parents telling them their daughters were not going to play a lot. It was very interesting that Dawn also took the time to praise the kids that didn’t get a chance to play much at the awards ceremony. I found that a bit unusual to say the least.

So my question for both of you is what’s the buzz down in Columbia on players returning next season? Championships are great to be a part of, but kids want to play, and the more talented they are the more they want to play, and SC has a whole bunch of really talented players
Eyes a awesomely not playing her sixth year. Henderson no word yet. There could be one transfer of a player who had limited playing time but I won’t name her.

Cardosa and/or Amihere? I guess it could happen but I think both want a second just like Saxon. jury is still out though.

sun

Reaction Score
It's not only about Reese, but Geno and the BY realizing that there's a need for a fuller roster with more talented players.
If there's any lesson to be learned from this year is that a team can't have too much of it.
One fall or knock on the noggin can take any player out of playing status for weeks or months.
It doesn't matter who it is, they're all susceptible to the rigors of playing a contact sport.
If anyone still thinks that UConn players are immune then they haven't been watching this year.

Paige offers a limited window of opportunity to bring home #12 and Geno isn't getting any younger.
No wonder why he gets emotional at times about how little time he has left.
Paige came to UConn to win and needs a stronger supporting cast, pun not intended.
If UConn couldn't get it done this year with the same players as last year, then how will they able to get it done with rookies in their place?
The team needs more talent even if it's only one more versatile player.
Two may even be better.
If the rest of the team needs to wait until they're seniors for more PT then so be it.
Like most athletes, the UConn women are very humble and loyal to their program.
They know the score.

Some other teams will be loading up with transfer players.
UConn shouldn't ignore the reality that it's a way for teams to improve.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I miss the old days when receiving a $100.000, 4 year full scholarship for a "FREE" education meant something to a student athlete ...........
U know scholarships are on year to year basis. So yeah go get ur money. Heard that Angel is looking to join USC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom