Angel Reese in the portal | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Angel Reese in the portal

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Times have changed and recruits have changed. What must change is the coaching if they want to keep getting the best recruits. No matter how great a coach was he must change his tactics. And stop playing games with top recruits they have on the bench so they won't leave and new ones that may come. It might of worked in the past but not nowdays.
Not sure who you are talking about as it can’t be Geno and the UConn program as he’s been to 14 straight Final Fours so clearly something is working EXTREMELY well and frankly is unprecedented. Any players that have left have not become stars at any P5 schools and it would be argued they were, at best role players on those schools they did attend- Gordon, Coombs, AEH, Eckmark, Edwards and now McClain.

So please opine to who you were referring to and what evidence you have to support your claim…

Reaction Score
I believe Tara doesn’t like losing to Geno. she’ll only play UConn in a tournament. nothing is schedule at this moment. Used to play them every year 2007-2014. Would be nice to continue but I wouldn’t get my hopes up

WBB big picture needs it. Potential huge TV draw. Needs to be an ABC game. We all need more ABC games to grow the sport and I believe that th the numbers from this year will encourage ABC to open more spots for high interest intersectional games.

Reaction Score
Who's "we?"

Gamecocks agreed to a home and home that resulted in last year's game. According to several reliable UConn posters they have agreed to a home and home beginning this year. (Okay, I'm relying on hearsay here but from reliable posters)

Neither game has been "scheduled" yet because scheduling is a work in progress for all schools and conference
Don't know, as I don't see the word "we" anywhere in my posted question of, "When was Stanford put on our schedule for next year? If they are, it's a big surprise".

I read this portion of your post, "WBB is in a good position right now with three major contenders in SCar, Uconn and Stanford all of whom will play regular season games against each other net year. " and asked my question.

Reaction Score
Fox Tv Excuse GIF by loveconnectionfox

I congratulate her........she used her right hand four times in those clips...........a big improvement over her SC days.........

Reaction Score
WBB big picture needs it. Potential huge TV draw. Needs to be an ABC game. We all need more ABC games to grow the sport and I believe that th the numbers from this year will encourage ABC to open more spots for high interest intersectional games.
Visiting........is SC WBB as popular or even more popular as the men's team? BTW one of my buddies' sons Justin Manaya played for SC before transferring to Providence.......another SC connection, another friend's daughter Kelsey Oh pitches for the SC softball team........

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Angel Reese's last top 5 before she selected Maryland was Tennessee, Syracuse, South Carolina, and USC because they have the Kinesiology major. Don't count on her going to UCONN although it would be nice.

Reaction Score
Visiting........is SC WBB as popular or even more popular as the men's team? BTW one of my buddies' sons Justin Manaya played for SC before transferring to Providence.......another SC connection, another friend's daughter Kelsey Oh pitches for the SC softball team........
at the present time? wbb is more popular. But give us a glimmer of hope and our crowds for mbb will return. It's been a tough time since our only final 4 appearance in mbb

Reaction Score
Interesting roundtable on YouTube....two of the three MD players have since entered the portal. Around the 8:30 mark NIL is discussed and later some talk about playing for Brenda. Bonus content at least for me: a couple of UConn mentions nothing major though. Long video warning:

Maryland legends, current players on NIL, Social Media's impact on Women’s sports​

Reaction Score
I think now that the Portal is wide open Super teams are being formed. All of the players know each other from playing AAU ball against each other. One player can make the difference. Had Boston choose us over SC we would be cutting down the nets for the past two years. Our offense has struggled against the top defensive teams such as Arizona and SC. Geno know he needs scorers who can score against anybody. We have three of those players. Paige , Azzi and Caroline. We don't know the extend of Caroline's head injury but before it happened she carried the team for while this season. Azzi carried us when she finally got healthy but we have had no big carry us except in a supportive role.
Paige carried us her freshmen year and came back to help us get to the final 4.
I think Ice and Amari have the skill set that we need in our offense. They can hit the elbow jumper back to the three point line so that the other teams defense can block the middle and take away drive to the hoop and the backdoor cuts. The defense can overplay the guard and it make it more difficult for lets say CW do what she does best.
If healthy we will be back in the final 4 with a shot to bring home number 12.
Reese would not score on Boston in the Paint and I don't think she is an outside player. She could be if she worked on her outside shot extensively
Did you not see when MD played SC. Reese definitely scored against Boston in the paint. Reese was 20/10 that game and Boston had 3 fouls.

Reaction Score
I don't fully understand Reese's draw to playing on the perimeter, at least offensively. She's an absolute beast attacking the basket and draws a ton of fouls. She's also one of the best offensive rebounders in the country. She has decent handles for a tall girl but her jumpshot isn't good and her game is best suited at the 4 IMO. She should model her offensive game after A'ja Wilson's. Similar size/quickness, lefty, great at taking opposing bigs off the dribble, frequently gets to the line, has a high motor, etc.
In comments that I've read seems like Reese wants to play a stretch 4 with the opportunity to take a shot outside the paint on occassion. She has mentioned several times she needs/wants to work on her jumper. At MD with no size it seems the offense does not allow her to do that with her in the paint so much.

Reaction Score
Did you not see when MD played SC. Reese definitely scored against Boston in the paint. Reese was 20/10 that game and Boston had 3 fouls.
Reese has a really unorthodox shooting style..........it's hard not to foul her at times.....

Reaction Score
That's strictly a DMV thing- AAU and HS ball in that area pollute the kinds into thinking they are something they are not. Most tragically they don project and prepare the kids for the next level of basketball by focusing on the skill they need to develop to be successful. Reese came up a wing player in HS but she was never going to be a a wing in college. Likewise Mir Mclean came up a 5'11" McDonalds AA post player and never developed the perimeter skills to be a 5'11" wing player.
Why was Reese never going to be a wing in college? then what should she be in college more importantly at the the next level? She is listed as a wing on USAB site and MD site.

Reaction Score
A few years ago I would have agreed. But Boston’s development over her 3 years at SC has been exceptional. She doesn’t elevate much at all, but her ability to carve out position in the paint, rebound, finish around the basket and defend without fouling have gotten better each and every season. A lot of that is simply due to hard work by Boston. But clearly, Dawn and her staff have much to do with Boston emerging as the NPOY, while leading her team to the national championship.
Have to agree that Boston has gotten better in all parts of her game. Early on, she needed a rest every 6-8 minutes. This year, she came in lighter and was able to work hard throughout every game. Hate to give the competition credit, but this is a case where she deserves it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Why was Reese never going to be a wing in college? then what should she be in college more importantly at the the next level? She is listed as a wing on USAB site and MD site.
It was evident from her HS play, her play at high level AAU tournaments, her play at USA basketball and her first season at MD = 2016-2021 that she does not have the quickness to defend on the perimeter nor the shooting ability to be a wing at the collegiate level. For her size she has a decent handle but she is not a play maker as evidenced by her very poor assist to TO ratio.

Reaction Score
It was evident from her HS play, her play at high level AAU tournaments, her play at USA basketball and her first season at MD = 2016-2021 that she does not have the quickness to defend on the perimeter nor the shooting ability to be a wing at the collegiate level. For her size she has a decent handle but she is not a play maker as evidenced by her very poor assist to TO ratio.
Totally disagree. She lead MD in steals this year. Reese has shown she can guard 2-5 most of her shots were from entry passes to the post. Assist to TO Her 2 seasons at MD she was used as a post player playing out of position. Her last AAU team she won the championship she was used on the perimeter. USAB she was used as a wing.

Reaction Score
Totally disagree. She lead MD in steals this year. Reese has shown she can guard 2-5 most of her shots were from entry passes to the post. Assist to TO Her 2 seasons at MD she was used as a post player playing out of position. Her last AAU team she won the championship she was used on the perimeter. USAB she was used as a wing.
So basically the MD coaching staff lied to her. Welp justified her transferring.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
So basically the MD coaching staff lied to her. Welp justified her transferring.
Not sure I'd frame it as that--when she committed, Brenda had Olivia Owens and Shakira Austin on the roster who were projected to be their low post players. Transfers happened, Brenda wasn't able to find a quality center through the portal or via recruiting, so Reese likely played center out of necessity rather than it being the original plan.

Reaction Score
GreatValue said:

I don’t know how you come up with that statement. Maybe you can explain why you believe that the Maryland coaching staff lied to her. Reese has stated many times that she will play where she was needed to help out the team. She also stated after the Stanford loss that she needs to work on her shooting away from the basket, because she was not confident, in order to better help her team.

Further, Reese must have changed her mind about transferring because on March 26, just hours after Maryland’s season ended with a loss to Stanford in the Sweet 16, Reese tweeted, “We’ll be back, I’ll be back, TRUST ME..”

Reaction Score
If Angel Reese actually wants to come to Storrs (which I greatly doubt) and if Geno is convinced that she will be a good teammate and citizen when she gets here (same as Evina and Dorka), then I'm sure he will be happy to have her. With her talent, she would make UConn a better team. But those are big questions ...

I think UConn's greater need is for a guard. People have been saying that UConn "only" has four guards for next year (presumably Azzi, Paige, Nika, and Caroline). I would count Caroline and Aubrey as wings rather than guards, which means UConn has only three "true" guards. I think that a fourth guard is needed more than a big. In this respect I agree with @meyers7 , which is unusual in itself.

If a big of the quality of Reese is really interested, then of course Geno should and will take her provided the other questions are answered. But I doubt that anyone like that with an interest in UConn will be found in the transfer portal. I think UConn's front court roster for next year is adequate: Dorka, AE, two incoming freshman, and Amari/Piath.
I think Caroline can be considered a legit shooting guard, but I get your point about her also being a wing. In either case, four guards is likely a risky, minimum number. We fans ( and the coaches ) are undoubtedly paranoid about what can happen to a team via injury. But adding a guard does seem to make sense. Even though, working 12 players into a rotation is pretty difficult. Is it possible Geno has his eye on anther recruit? He has a scholarship to give, I think. I know the top 10 guards are gone, but is there someone hiding in the shadows?

Reaction Score
if I'm Uconn I'm looking elsewhere from Reese and Owosu. If they can't handle Brenda, you think they can handle Geno?
We don’t know why they’re leaving the Terps. Maybe Brenda, maybe not?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Name a single 2 or 3 that Reese has guarded effectively. In AAU basketball the times I saw her she dabbled on the perimeter leaving smaller players like Mir McLean to deal with the Cochrane (Louisville) and Cardoso of the world. As far as USA basketball she has yet to make a USA Basketball team and has been trying out since 2016. You actually have to make a team for USA basketball to use you. She is not a perimeter player.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Name a single 2 or 3 that Reese has guarded effectively. In AAU basketball the times I saw her she dabbled on the perimeter leaving smaller players like Mir McLean to deal with the Cochrane (Louisville) and Cardoso of the world. As far as USA basketball she has yet to make a USA Basketball team and has been trying out since 2016. You actually have to make a team for USA basketball to use you. She is not a perimeter player.
You know how I feel.

Reaction Score
A'ja Wilson, Alaina Coates, Mikiah Herbert Harrigan, Aliyah Boston. All of those kids improved leaps and bounds during their 4 years under Dawn. That's a pretty stud list of players over the last 6-7 years, no other program has shown comparable interior player development over that frame.
Those are not all post players, post players play in the low post. A'ja plays more of a forward, Coates is a seldom used backup, Boston is getting better, but still remains to be seen,what she does st the next level.
You need to develop players to be good at the next level. So far ,A'ja is the only one.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Those are not all post players, post players play in the low post. A'ja plays more of a forward, Coates is a seldom used backup, Boston is getting better, but still remains to be seen,what she does st the next level.
You need to develop players to be good at the next level. So far ,A'ja is the only one.
The goal of most coaches is to build a successful team and develop player skills in a way that helps the team find the most success. WNBA potential/success is secondary. All of those players improved leaps and bounds during their time at SC and were integral players on Final Four/Championship level teams.

And in regards to true players...can you give me 5 examples of successful post players in the WNBA in today's day and age? In today's day and age, true back to the basket players that play exclusively on the low block are far and few between. Vast majority of posts have developed good perimeter skills and it's why they're among the most successful in the league (Parker, Stewart, Charles, Jones, etc.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom