Angel Reese in the portal | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Angel Reese in the portal

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't fully understand Reese's draw to playing on the perimeter, at least offensively. She's an absolute beast attacking the basket and draws a ton of fouls. She's also one of the best offensive rebounders in the country. She has decent handles for a tall girl but her jumpshot isn't good and her game is best suited at the 4 IMO. She should model her offensive game after A'ja Wilson's. Similar size/quickness, lefty, great at taking opposing bigs off the dribble, frequently gets to the line, has a high motor, etc.
That's strictly a DMV thing- AAU and HS ball in that area pollute the kinds into thinking they are something they are not. Most tragically they don project and prepare the kids for the next level of basketball by focusing on the skill they need to develop to be successful. Reese came up a wing player in HS but she was never going to be a a wing in college. Likewise Mir Mclean came up a 5'11" McDonalds AA post player and never developed the perimeter skills to be a 5'11" wing player.

Reaction Score
It still does mean something to a lot of kids. It's unfair to paint the majority of athletes with this brush. We won't know all the reasons for why they transfer.

Yes, some will be doing it for what we believe are selfish reasons, others are taking advantage of the system which I have no issue with. If you can get your masters by leveraging the COVID year if it's offered to you, why not?

And if we look at the numbers, estimating 1000 athletes in the portal (yes I know it will likely be higher), that's about 20% of all athletes in D1. This means 80% will remain with their program. This is no different than transferring stats for non-scholarship students.
Thank you for your commentary---I don't know why some people are so opposed to collegiate athletes using the free enterprise/free market system and being capitalists in this capitalistic society to their own advantage. Is the portal ideal for college athletics?--probably not--but neither was the plantation-model previous to the portal and NIL where coaches and universities made tremendous revenue off the backs of athletes and athletes got little or nothing in return....

Selfish reasons? I don't know about you, but I make many business and economic choices for "selfish reasons". See--the first thing we do is shed the skin of the old NCAA mantra that athletes are possession and property of universities and allow them entry into the free market enterprise system of this country where being a capitalist and an opportunist for venture capital aren't dirty words....

As you point out, the transfer rate according to most statistics do not exceed non-scholarship students. Students get to change their minds and decide what's in their best interest, so should student athletes...

Reaction Score
If the rich get richer theme of the Portal keeps it up, I could see a rule change to limit the top 10 teams in the year end rankings to 1 portal player and 1 player for each player they lose to the Portal.
Your rule makes sense, although I suspect there would be legal challenges to this...

Reaction Score
Exactly. People kill me with this athletic scholarship being a "free" education crap. Try not showing up for practice and see how fast your scholarship gets yanked.
Yeah, Coco, I think "Free" and " Quid pro quo" are being confused...

Reaction Score
Had to be Dawn & Co.’s reputation for developing elite post players. She went to the one program that didn’t need her at all.
Her developing post players is not true, the only player so far she developed is A'ja and she isn't truly a post player.

Reaction Score
Neither is going to SCar. Catch up.

The best thing for basketball is to not have one dominant team over a five year stretch. On team winning a championship or two, maybe three during a five year stretch is okay. Let's assume arguendo that SCar wins it next year. Boston will be gone after that. The likelihood of three in a row is minimal. Another team would be favored the third year.

WBB is in a good position right now with three major contenders in SCar, Uconn and Stanford all of whom will play regular season games against each other net year. That's great for wbb. SCar plays UConn (I think) and Stanford on the road. That's good press and good TV. That stirs interest.

Having three major contenders leaves an open spot for others to get the 4th seed. That's good for the game.

To me, the game has never been in better shape. We have two major superstars right now in Paige and Boston. Stanford SID needs to get on the ball promoting Haley.

Who is the fourth leading contender? That may become clearer when the transfer madness settles out. Will it be Louisville/NC State? Looks like it won't be Maryland. A big 12 team? who will rise to the top? Big Ten?

Iowa State and Iowa are gonna be fun to watch this year.. Will they pick up key transfers that help them become more than point scorers> Blackwell would help either team.

PAC;s TV deal hurts wbb. How can the most liberal states in the country that promotes womens issues not support wbb? Because they don't get to watch it. The Larry Scott legacy lives on.
I'll wait for the results, but I won't be shocked if one or both go there.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Her developing post players is not true, the only player so far she developed is A'ja and she isn't truly a post player.
A few years ago I would have agreed. But Boston’s development over her 3 years at SC has been exceptional. She doesn’t elevate much at all, but her ability to carve out position in the paint, rebound, finish around the basket and defend without fouling have gotten better each and every season. A lot of that is simply due to hard work by Boston. But clearly, Dawn and her staff have much to do with Boston emerging as the NPOY, while leading her team to the national championship.

Reaction Score
Neither is going to SCar. Catch up.

The best thing for basketball is to not have one dominant team over a five year stretch. On team winning a championship or two, maybe three during a five year stretch is okay. Let's assume arguendo that SCar wins it next year. Boston will be gone after that. The likelihood of three in a row is minimal. Another team would be favored the third year.

WBB is in a good position right now with three major contenders in SCar, Uconn and Stanford all of whom will play regular season games against each other net year. That's great for wbb. SCar plays UConn (I think) and Stanford on the road. That's good press and good TV. That stirs interest.

Having three major contenders leaves an open spot for others to get the 4th seed. That's good for the game.

To me, the game has never been in better shape. We have two major superstars right now in Paige and Boston. Stanford SID needs to get on the ball promoting Haley.

Who is the fourth leading contender? That may become clearer when the transfer madness settles out. Will it be Louisville/NC State? Looks like it won't be Maryland. A big 12 team? who will rise to the top? Big Ten?

Iowa State and Iowa are gonna be fun to watch this year.. Will they pick up key transfers that help them become more than point scorers> Blackwell would help either team.

PAC;s TV deal hurts wbb. How can the most liberal states in the country that promotes womens issues not support wbb? Because they don't get to watch it. The Larry Scott legacy lives on.

When was Stanford put on our schedule for next year? If they are, it's a big surprise.

Reaction Score
If the rich get richer theme of the Portal keeps it up, I could see a rule change to limit the top 10 teams in the year end rankings to 1 portal player and 1 player for each player they lose to the Portal.
I don’t believe that it would be feasible to impose the suggested limitations. The major problem is that these limitations could and would preclude STUDENT athletes from gaining a scholarship to, and an education at, the university of their choice. Second, there is always disagreement as to where teams are ranked by the polls and the selection committee. Third, the standard policy for all Notre Dame requested waivers regarding portal limitations be approved needs to be included.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A few years ago I would have agreed. But Boston’s development over her 3 years at SC has been exceptional. She doesn’t elevate much at all, but her ability to carve out position in the paint, rebound, finish around the basket and defend without fouling have gotten better each and every season. A lot of that is simply due to hard work by Boston. But clearly, Dawn and her staff have much to do with Boston emerging as the NPOY, while leading her team to the national championship.
Boston's offseason body transformation is the reslut of her determination, but Dawn should receive some credit for encouraging and promoting her work, I;m sure the school and trainers developed a conditioning program that helped her.

Reaction Score
When was Stanford put on our schedule for next year? If they are, it's a big surprise.
Who's "we?"

Gamecocks agreed to a home and home that resulted in last year's game. According to several reliable UConn posters they have agreed to a home and home beginning this year. (Okay, I'm relying on hearsay here but from reliable posters)

Neither game has been "scheduled" yet because scheduling is a work in progress for all schools and conferences.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
A'ja Wilson, Alaina Coates, Mikiah Herbert Harrigan, Aliyah Boston. All of those kids improved leaps and bounds during their 4 years under Dawn. That's a pretty stud list of players over the last 6-7 years, no other program has shown comparable interior player development over that frame.

Reaction Score
A'ja Wilson, Alaina Coates, Mikiah Herbert Harrigan, Aliyah Boston. All of those kids improved leaps and bounds during their 4 years under Dawn. That's a pretty stud list of players over the last 6-7 years, no other program has shown comparable interior player development over that frame.
true but what other team has had that quality/quantity of bigs to work with?

Reaction Score
I don’t believe that it would be feasible to impose the suggested limitations. The major problem is that these limitations could and would preclude STUDENT athletes from gaining a scholarship to, and an education at, the university of their choice. Second, there is always disagreement as to where teams are ranked by the polls and the selection committee. Third, the standard policy for all Notre Dame requested waivers regarding portal limitations be approved needs to be included.

Besides Shepard, name another?

bballnut90

Reaction Score
true but what other team has had that quality/quantity of bigs to work with?
Why is that relevant to her developing her players? Fact it she took players and significantly developed their skills and abilities over 4 years. Herbert-Harrigan was the #72 recruit and became the #6 WNBA draft pick by the time her career was done. Alaina Coates was the #28 recruit and got drafted 2nd overall in 2017. A'ja Wilson was afraid of contact as a freshman and developed into a very physical player and consensus NPOY as a senior. Aliyah Boston's improved leaps and bounds under Dawn. All of those kids put in a lot of work but it's comical that anyone argues Dawn doesn't develop her bigs.

And to answer your question, Baylor's landed even more talent in that time frame, landing Lauren Cox, Kalani Brown, Queen Egbo, Nalyssa Smith, Nina Davis, and Beatrice Mompremier from 2013-2019. I don't think anyone questions that Kim does a heck of a job developing her front court players and she did a great job with that batch of players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why is that relevant to her developing her players? Fact it she took players and significantly developed their skills and abilities over 4 years. Herbert-Harrigan was the #72 recruit and became the #6 WNBA draft pick by the time her career was done. Alaina Coates was the #28 recruit and got drafted 2nd overall in 2017. A'ja Wilson was afraid of contact as a freshman and developed into a very physical player and consensus NPOY as a senior. Aliyah Boston's improved leaps and bounds under Dawn. All of those kids put in a lot of work but it's comical that anyone argues Dawn doesn't develop her bigs.

And to answer your question, Baylor's landed even more talent in that time frame, landing Lauren Cox, Kalani Brown, Queen Egbo, Nalyssa Smith, Nina Davis, and Beatrice Mompremier from 2013-2019. I don't think anyone questions that Kim does a heck of a job developing her front court players and she did a great job with that batch of players.
I'm not denigrating Dawn's ability to help them get better, but you've got to have the quality players to develop in the first place...........do you think Wilson or Boston wouldn't have developed under Geno or Tara? Same applies to Kim.........Cox, Brown and Smith were superior talents to begin with........I'd suggest there are other coaches that could have also developed these fine players.......BTW Wilson's inability to finish with either hand still bugs me.........I haven't followed her in the pros but I hope she's developed her weak had by now....

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I'm not denigrating Dawn's ability to help them get better, but you've got to have the quality players to develop in the first place...........do you think Wilson or Boston wouldn't have developed under Geno or Tara? Same applies to Kim.........Cox, Brown and Smith were superior talents to begin with........I'd suggest there are other coaches that could have also developed these fine players.......BTW Wilson's inability to finish with either hand still bugs me.........I haven't followed her in the pros but I hope she's developed her weak had by now....
I don't disagree, but that's a different discussion. I was simply replying to @baggerbob stating that Dawn doesn't develop her posts, which is simply untrue.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Fox Tv Excuse GIF by loveconnectionfox

Reaction Score
Who's "we?"

Gamecocks agreed to a home and home that resulted in last year's game. According to several reliable UConn posters they have agreed to a home and home beginning this year. (Okay, I'm relying on hearsay here but from reliable posters)

Neither game has been "scheduled" yet because scheduling is a work in progress for all schools and conferences.
I believe Tara doesn’t like losing to Geno. she’ll only play UConn in a tournament. nothing is schedule at this moment. Used to play them every year 2007-2014. Would be nice to continue but I wouldn’t get my hopes up

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom